View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

‘Smoking pot made me bipolar’

poledriver

Bluelighter
Sia says smoking marijuana as a kid gave her bipolar disorder

001601-0dd39060-f891-11e3-ba3b-878da0800edb.jpg

‘I f***ed my brain’ ... Sia blames her bipolar disorder on smoking pot as a kid. Source: Getty Images

AUSTRALIAN singer-songwriter Sia says her bipolar disorder is the result of smoking too much marijuana as a child.

In one of her most candid interviews yet, the reluctant pop star told American radio host Howard Stern she thinks her bipolar II diagnosis can be linked to smoking the drug at age 13.

“What I do think, is that I smoked too much pot as a kid,” she said.

“My brain wasn’t fully formed.

“I f***ed my brain up.” Sia, who refuses to show her face on stage, also opened up about how her father’s dual personalities — the kind Phil and the anguished Stan — affected her childhood.

“When Stan came round, stuff got scary,” she said.

028223-318de1ce-f89e-11e3-ba3b-878da0800edb.jpg

Struggling ... Sia also opened up about her battle with alcohol addiction. Source: AFP

But she stressed that he’d never been physically violent: “It was an energy that came in the room.” Sia always assumed her father suffered from dissociative identity disorder, although he’s never been diagnosed or treated for it.

The hit maker admitted her father, an “incredible” guitarist in his own right, could be envious of her success.

“I think it’s impossible not to see something you wanted happen to someone else and maybe wish it for yourself,” she said.

Laughing as she told the story, the Adelaide-born singer said she’d once offered to help her dad with his own album, only to be abruptly refused.

When Stern asked how that made her feel, she said it was “amusing” and she didn’t take it personally.

Despite her sometimes difficult childhood, Sia says she enjoyed a good relationship with her parents and was still recovering from her alcohol addiction.

“I didn’t know who I was until three-and-a-half years ago,” she confessed.

http://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...bipolar-disorder/story-fn907478-1226962002065

I don't know her well at all, nor do I pretend to.

Is she certain beyond a reasonable doubt that the culprit of her troubling childhood which is solely marijuana use?

I don't dispute that psychoactive drug use may affect the development of a teenager's brain, but it sounds like there's more to this outcome than just weed.

For example, I'd be pretty traumatized as a kid if my father had unpredictable split personalities.

also opened up about how her father’s dual personalities — the kind Phil and the anguished Stan — affected her childhood.

It was definitely the pot as there seems to be no mental illness in the family8).. and kind phill couldn't indicate a hypomanic state and anguished stan couldn't be a depressed state.. and the two together couldn't indicate bipolar 2.. nope its solely the pot.8)

It is like the baseball star who blamed his brain tumor on his use of anabolic steroids, despite him being the only case known where brain cancer coincidently occurred after use. She just wants something to blame other than her poisonous genetics. I don't know why the butt-ugly tramp gets paid, she is an eye sore and a basket case. Shame on her for perpetuating propaganda.

It makes no sense that weed would cause bipolar disorder, it simply doesn't have a significant enough effect on the body result in such a significant change. Doing it to a single nut job as opposed to a certain proportion of users also makes it unlikely. Split personalities are also bullshit, all the famous cases turned out to be lies. The ones with some credibility blackout during the alternate personality.

You really think she is a "butt-ugly eye sore"? I mean, she is not the hottest girl in show business but I definitely think she is pretty and far from an eye sore and since when is your physical appearance the most important thing to being a successful singer. I think she has a beautiful voice, delivery, knack for songwriting and performance. All of these things matter more to me when qualifying someone as a deserved professional singer. All are much more important than looks, Which I believe she has as well anyways.

......but yeah I definitely think either genetics or her upbringing has more to do with her bipolar disorder but I don't even really believe the genetic link to addiction is correct. I believe that behavioral conditioning by our parents make it more likely we will inherit their behavior, whether we emulate their addiction or aren't taught proper ways of coping with things. Often times our parents personality flaws such as depressive episodes, anger issues and coping skills are inherited through conditioning and they inherited their traits from their parents. All of these things make a person more susceptible to addiction and would explain why addiction often shows up as a generational issue. Just my opinion.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/...sCustomisedMessage=&userIsAuthenticated=false
http://m.schizophreniabulletin.oxfordjournals.org/content/38/2/316.short
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/...sCustomisedMessage=&userIsAuthenticated=false

Mental illness is associated with a transition from substance use to substance abuse and unlike alcohol or cigarettes, the latter leads to marijuana use, marijuana triggers psychotic episodes and negative moods in bipolar individuals. Marijuana abusers, as a group, develop psychosis younger than their counterparts and marijuana psychotics are less impaired cognitively than natural psychotics; this is most evident when they abstain from using marijuana.

http://m.schizophreniabulletin.oxfordjournals.org/content/38/2/316.short

Mental illness is associated with a transition from substance use to substance abuse and unlike alcohol or cigarettes, the latter leads to marijuana use, marijuana triggers psychotic episodes and negative moods in bipolar individuals. Marijuana abusers, as a group, develop psychosis younger than their counterparts and marijuana psychotics are less impaired cognitively than natural psychotics; this is most evident when they abstain from using marijuana.

You say weed triggers psychosis in bipolar individuals but apparently these people were already bipolar. Your use of the term marijauna psychotics is idiotic because the study is about schizophrenics who happened to use marijauna.

You are like a creationist, they can find studies supporting their myths as well.

Last edited:
In the first line I am saying mental illness leads to substance abuse, if one had been using substances before the illness. Especially cigarettes, but also alcohol and marijuana.

I am also saying cigarette use leads to marijuana use and marijuana effects bipolars in ways cigarettes and alcohol do not.

People who did not present bipolar disorder before using marijuana, as a group have an earlier age of onset. That does not mean every person in the group is not a natural psychotic.

I am referring to those whose marijuana use precedes the disorder, some possibly develop the disorder at all because they had used marijuana. This theoretical group, who I will continue referring to as marijuana psychotics, are also easier to treat than normal psychotics.

Sorry you feel that way about creationists, I disagree that they are supported by scientific studies.

Last edited:
Marijauna has never "caused" a lasting psychotic disorder. Precipitating it earlier when someone was going to get it anyway is different. Supporting corporate propaganda in favour of the alcohol industry by using the correlation/causation fallacy only shows the reduced plasticity of your aging brain since you always support the status quo.

Alcohol causes korsakoff syndrome resultant from b vitamin deficiency, which is a form of psychosis, this is a fact. Delirium Tremens can also lead to a psychotic state. Your comment implying alcohol is more benign in this respect is insane, it can cause psychotic states in normal people reliably under these circumstances. It would be a thousand times worse in someone who is bipolar.

Like you, creationists will show people flawed studies that support their incorrect point of view. You know that is what I meant so don't twist my words.

I wonder, do you support the illegality of drugs the human body produces naturally like n,n-DMT?

I use editing to correct grammatical errors, clarify statements, and improve readability; not to play games.

Alcohol had been covered; delerium tremens are not related and neither is drug prohibition or DMT.

Marijuana has never "caused" a lasting psychotic disorder. Precipitating it earlier when someone was going to get it anyways is different. ...
Define lasting.

Why does it produce an earlier onset? This is a possibility, the cause is not known and so there likewise is no assurance it does not cause latent psychotics who otherwise would have never developed the disease, in the same way it causes problems for psychotics. I read regularly that it is a cause, and it appears to produce a clinically differentiable population of psychotics, so please explain your point of view.

Last edited:
I use editing to correct grammatical errors, clarify statements, and improve readability; not to play games.

Alcohol had been covered; delerium tremens are not related and neither is drug prohibition or DMT.

Are you daft? Delirium Tremens is a state involving psychosis caused by alcohol withdrawal, I am speaking of it because you see alcohol as more benign.

I asked about DMT because I wanted to know your personal view on the mater Dur! It doesn't have to be related I am asking a question about your views.

Define lasting.

Why does it produce an earlier onset? This is a possibility, the cause is not known and so there likewise is no assurance it does not cause latent psychotics who otherwise would have never developed the disease, in the same way it causes problems for psychotics. I read regularly that it is a cause, and it appears to produce a clinically differentiable population of psychotics, so please explain your point of view.

Lasting as in beyond the acute effects of the drug and not including anxiety or paranoia relating to drug illegality or taboo. There are vested interests in labelling it erroneously as a cause. There are just as many studies saying otherwise. Regarding latent schizophrenia, cannabis use rates over all in the Western world have risen over the past few decades while the rates of schizophrenia in the population have gone down. If what you said was true this would not be possible given the enormous number of cannabis users in the population.

Do you honestly think studies done by governments who have collectively invested over a trillion dollars in suppressing drugs besides alcohol and tobacco will carry out these studies objectively? You are being naive. They cannot eliminate studies that do not support their policy positions but they can fund organizations that created slanted studies to match them then only publish those ones. Western governments has a long established history of doing this.

Are you daft? Delirium Tremens is a state involving psychosis caused by alcohol withdrawal, I am speaking of it because you see alcohol as more benign.

I asked about DMT because I wanted to know your personal view on the mater Dur! It doesn't have to be related I am asking a question about your views.
Alcohol is unrelated and my personal view is not to waste time discussing unrelated topics and to stick to the main point.

Marijuana has never "caused" a lasting psychotic disorder. Precipitating it earlier when someone was going to get it anyways is different. ...
Define lasting.

Lasting as in beyond the acute effects of the drug and not including anxiety or paranoia relating to drug illegality or taboo. There are vested interests in labelling it erroneously as a cause. There are just as many studies saying otherwise. Regarding latent schizophrenia, cannabis use rates over all in the Western world have risen over the past few decades while the rates of schizophrenia in the population have gone down. If what you said was true this would not be possible given the enormous number of cannabis users in the population.

Do you honestly think studies done by governments who have collectively invested over a trillion dollars in suppressing drugs besides alcohol and tobacco will carry out these studies objectively? You are being naive. They cannot eliminate studies that do not support their policy positions but they can fund organizations that created slanted studies to match them then only publish those ones. Western governments has a long established history of doing this.
There are many unknown variables that cause an overall rise and fall in a mental illness, such as schizophrenia. There already is a positive correlation established between drug use and mental illness.

What do you mean, "besides alcohol and tobacco?" Producers are not allowed the freedom to even advertise these products and have to include significant warnings on their packages, that they cause cancer and birth defects. The government also taxes them heavily. This has caused an enormous decrease in smoking and alcohol use and even "created" a black market for these items. National statistics clearly show these cause liver and lung damage, even death. National statistics also show that mental illness is a major cause of morbidity and I live in a free country, not some weird dictatorship.

How does anyone know if something "makes them bipolar?"

i can imagine that it could be the case that someone smokes and instantly becomes bipolar.
But in most cases, the link won't be so clear, I bet.

I was happy to hear her music for the first time in this thread.
I like her singing.