• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

‘Smoking pot made me bipolar’

I don't care what celebrities say. She isn't a pharmacologist or psychiatrist so...

How does anyone know if something "makes them bipolar?"

That's what I don't understand. I'm well aware that cannabis use can bring out some issues in some people and make them worse, but to say it specifically caused the creation of this issue seems very questionable and inaccurate. There is a big difference between causation and correlation. That's one of the harder parts of looking at results of studies and figuring out the actual cause and effect.

Being a celebrity doesn't make someone an expert on that. Nor should this be taken seriously from a one off example on an unsubstantiated and an unscientific claim.

I'm actually going to agree with Pmoseman on this one, I think people try too hard to disbelieve any possible negative ramification of cannabis use, all I'm going to say is that I have experienced lasting schizophrenia-like mental illness that was clearly triggered by cannabis use and I know others who are in the same situation. It is rare and I don't believe it is worth worrying about for the average user, and in my experience, it subsides if one abstains from cannabis long enough.

Her understanding is flawed. The lack of Attunement with her father likely caused or encouraged a vulnerability for developing bipolar.

It's understandable someone would assume it was the drug, as someone not understanding the critical nature of parental attunement would easily be mistaken.

A good friend of mine who happens to be type 2 bipolar smokes weed daily to help him function.

He has tried years of various Rx meds, but nothing helped.

Without the active constituents of Cannabis Sativa in his system, my friend is either an asshole, or an asshole.

With the active constituents of Cannabis Sativa in his system, my friend is anything but an asshole. He's a totally different person - very productive, punctual, patient, pleasant, prepared, and an all around nice guy. And on an average day at work, he works harder and contributes more than most people.

He's one of the reasons why I'm such a huge advocate for marijuana decriminalization and legalization (even though I stopped years ago).

I'm actually going to agree with Pmoseman on this one, I think people try too hard to disbelieve any possible negative ramification of cannabis use, all I'm going to say is that I have experienced lasting schizophrenia-like mental illness that was clearly triggered by cannabis use and I know others who are in the same situation. It is rare and I don't believe it is worth worrying about for the average user, and in my experience, it subsides if one abstains from cannabis long enough.

Triggered by is way different than saying cannabis caused it.

Claiming causation is extremely difficult. How many years were they trying to prove cigarettes cause cancer?

Without the active constituents of Cannabis Sativa in his system, my friend is either an asshole, or an asshole.
I am sure you've seen this before but I went with the first page in the search and this was the last symptom covered on that page.

"The fourth most common symptom is anger. This can range from a slow burning rage to constant irritability to sudden bursts of anger when least expected: anger at the world, anger at loved ones, anger at oneself, anger at being an addict and having to get clean. Emotional jags are very common, with emotions bouncing back and forth between depression, anger, and euphoria. Occasionally experienced is a feeling of fear or anxiety, a loss of the sense of humor, decreased sex drive, or increased sex drive. Most all of these symptoms fade to normal emotions by three months. Loss of concentration for the first week or month is also very common and this sometimes affects the ability to learn for a very short while."

As far as these alternative explanations, they are all possible as far as I know. I am trying to find more info on why she believes the marijuana did this.

Oh, and... having bipolar parents pass it on is rare, believed to be their lack of fertility and functioning. It is having a sibling with the disorder that is commonly studied. But you would think it...

Last edited:
I agree that it was most likely a difficult childhood and preexisting condition and not the direct cause of marijuana. I also agree that she is an "butt ugly skank" or whatever lol wouldn't use those terms but nah wouldn't be interested in "hitting that"

It is for those reasons (especially the last lol ) that I believe her opinion is flawed. I fully agree that abusing cannabis, much like any psychoactive compound, can exacerbate a preexisting condition. Marijuana is far from harmless as water. It may be "safer then most" but it most definitely is not without its risks. She should not be spreading misinformation but rather try to be an activist for her condition to try to rally support for people in her position. Apparently she is more concerned with demonizing marijuana then gaining support and awareness for those with emotional/mental disorders, it is very sad she turned it into this.

I am sure you've seen this before but I went with the first page in the search and this was the last symptom covered on that page.

"The fourth most common symptom is anger. This can range from a slow burning rage to constant irritability to sudden bursts of anger when least expected: anger at the world, anger at loved ones, anger at oneself, anger at being an addict and having to get clean. Emotional jags are very common, with emotions bouncing back and forth between depression, anger, and euphoria. Occasionally experienced is a feeling of fear or anxiety, a loss of the sense of humor, decreased sex drive, or increased sex drive. Most all of these symptoms fade to normal emotions by three months. Loss of concentration for the first week or month is also very common and this sometimes affects the ability to learn for a very short while."

I honestly was waiting for someone to pull the "withdrawal symptoms card" on me for my comment about my buddy. And I was almost certain that it would come from you, as usual.

The problem with your hypothesis is that the guy was an asshole before he ever tried smoking weed. And he was the same kind of asshole as he is now whenever he decides to take a break from smoking the ganja. There is no difference in his symptoms when he is off the stuff - he goes back to a vicious cycle of mania and depression in exactly the same manner (usually takes about 48 hours for this to become obvious).

Edit - He turned to weed because he was desperate to find something to relieve his symptoms, and not for recreational reasons. In his case, the benefits far outweigh the risks. With THC in his system, he claims he feels and can function normally. And all the crap Rx meds that he's tried to use have done nothing for him. Unfortunately, the only effective drug for him happens to be illegal for politically-motivated reasons. Good thing his boss doesn't give a shit.

P.S. - His brother also is bipolar AFAIK.

Last edited:
Marijuana is far from harmless as water.

Well, mass consumption of water will kill you a lot quicker than mass consumption of marijuana.

I think it's called hyponatremia when you only drink water and then your body starts shutting down; headaches, nausea, disorientation, vomiting, seizures, and possibly death. It's why you need to drink a sports drink or something with sugar in it to rehydrate. Water alone won't cut it and can actually be dangerous.

Alls I'm saying is pretty much everything is potentially dangerous. It's a matter of being properly educated and using substances in a proper way.

Well, mass consumption of water will kill you a lot quicker than mass consumption of marijuana.

I think it's called hyponatremia when you only drink water and then your body starts shutting down; headaches, nausea, disorientation, vomiting, seizures, and possibly death. It's why you need to drink a sports drink or something with sugar in it to rehydrate. Water alone won't cut it and can actually be dangerous.

Alls I'm saying is pretty much everything is potentially dangerous. It's a matter of being properly educated and using substances in a proper way.

Exactly my point actually. I didn't say water was harmless I said "as harmless as" meaning that it can cause harm but its not that harmful in general. And marijuana is far from as harmless as water. Also it's electrolites not sugar as they control ion channels in muscles. Your move ;)

I honestly was waiting for someone to pull the "withdrawal symptoms card" on me for my comment about my buddy. And I was almost certain that it would come from you, as usual.

The problem with your hypothesis is that the guy was an asshole before he ever tried smoking weed. And he was the same kind of asshole as he is now whenever he decides to take a break from smoking the ganja. There is no difference in his symptoms when he is off the stuff - he goes back to a vicious cycle of mania and depression in exactly the same manner (usually takes about 48 hours for this to become obvious).

Edit - He turned to weed because he was desperate to find something to relieve his symptoms, and not for recreational reasons. In his case, the benefits far outweigh the risks. With THC in his system, he claims he feels and can function normally. And all the crap Rx meds that he's tried to use have done nothing for him. Unfortunately, the only effective drug for him happens to be illegal for politically-motivated reasons. Good thing his boss doesn't give a shit.

P.S. - His brother also is bipolar AFAIK.

That makes sense. Unfortunately the rest of society yadda yadda. One of those links I posted has things about marijuana and bipolar that might support this.

People die from water and from mental illness. We all drink a huge amount of water and that mass/volume of marijuana would surely destroy people.

Last edited:
I wasn't disagreeing with you

Nor I with you just explaining my analogy because you brought up a flaw. Didn't mean to sound like an ass which is why I put the smiley face. I don't want to confuse people. I think we can all agree people toss around harmless and make improper conclusions that fit their bias. Sorry to derail the Convo everyone!

On with the cliché (but I believe it) - "Too much of anything can be bad for us homo sapiens."

Did you know that too much Vitamin C can cause your skin to turn orange? Hehehehehehe

Edit - ROFL, you could end up looking like this poor sod - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULWRoU9DUSo

Alcohol is unrelated and my personal view is not to waste time discussing unrelated topics and to stick to the main point.

Define lasting.

Why does it produce an earlier onset? This is a possibility, the cause is not known and so there likewise is no assurance it does not cause latent psychotics who otherwise would have never developed the disease, in the same way it causes problems for psychotics. I read regularly that it is a cause, and it appears to produce a clinically differentiable population of psychotics, so please explain your point of view.

There are many unknown variables that cause an overall rise and fall in a mental illness, such as schizophrenia. There already is a positive correlation established between drug use and mental illness.

What do you mean, "besides alcohol and tobacco?" Producers are not allowed the freedom to even advertise these products and have to include significant warnings on their packages, that they cause cancer and birth defects. The government also taxes them heavily. This has caused an enormous decrease in smoking and alcohol use and even "created" a black market for these items. National statistics clearly show these cause liver and lung damage, even death. National statistics also show that mental illness is a major cause of morbidity and I live in a free country, not some weird dictatorship.

You are becoming senile. You even quoted my definition of "lasting" in the third quote.

If the rates of schizophrenia are dropping while drug use is rising than the correlation between drug use and mental illness obviously isn't very significant.

You completely missed the point of my last paragraph. I never said there are not studies about the dangers of alcohol and tobacco, learn to fucking read. I am saying, due to lobbying from those industries and government policy they have a very large incentive to produce flawed studies about the dangers of other drugs. By other drugs I obviously mean alternative recreational substances to tobacco and alcohol (You fucking know what I meant) such as cannabis. They would be a threat to the alcohol and tobacco market if they were legal. Despite all other drugs being available the majority consumed are the legal ones.

Why do you think Anhuiser Busch (Budweiser) and Phillip Morris (Marlboros) fund the Partnership for a Drug Free America?

You live in a corporate dominated nation where all your beliefs were bought and paid for. Policy and the results of studies the government chooses to show you are dictated by lobbyists. The free country comment is intensely ironic. How about you find studies that are against your point of view and try to find errors in them for once? You might learn something. You will always be able to find crap studies that support whatever you want to believe, it is called confirmation bias.

Last edited: