• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

‘Smoking pot made me bipolar’

But what if the symptoms go away completely when cannabis use is stopped? That would seem to indicate that it wasn't a latent mental illness, but a mental illness primarily caused by cannabis use.

I think there is a double standard here. When someone takes methamphetamine and it triggers lasting stimulant psychosis, people have no problems blaming the drug for it. Of course, those who experience this psychosis are to some degree "susceptible" to it, too, but we don't say that they are "latent psychotics." Similarly, one could argue that a given drug is not addictive, because the only people who become addicted to it are susceptible to addiction. So really, saying that cannabis only triggers mental illness in those susceptible to it doesn't mean much.

I definitely see what you are talking about, but I haven't seen evidence that cannabis causes any type of psychosis or bipolar disorder. However, I have seen evidence that it can bring out latent mental disorder(s). Hence, I phrased it this way.

However, it is true that people tend to put on the kid gloves when thinking about cannabis, and not when thinking about "hard" drugs.

edit: I just posted a related thread here.

Last edited:
I wonder how many of these people who claim that Cannabis gave them bipolar really just used Cannabis to help relieve their symptoms? I started smoking Cannabis when i was 11 and have been smoking it regularly now since i was 14 and i am 32 now. I was diagnosed with bipolar back when i was about 24 but i always knew that something was not quite right in me old noggin :\ . I remember feeling suicidally depressed even before i was a teenager and of course when i discovered Hash and weed i used it to cheer me up. I never noticed it to ever make my symptoms worse and if anything it acts a sort of mood stabilizer for me as it helps both the depression and hypomania/mania. Certain drugs did seem to make my bipolar worse though namely alcohol and cocaine.

Oddly enough most people i know with bipolar disorder tend to react pretty well to Cannabis. Hell even a roommate i had who suffered from schizoaffective disorder found it to be one of the only drugs that helped him. But as even people with no history of a mental disorder can get freaked out for abit if they get too "greened out" i can see how it would possibly trigger a mental illness that was already there. I guess i am just one of the lucky ones who always seem to react good to Cannabis. It definitely helps me with the impulsiveness i get when i am manic or hypomanic that's for sure.

This is pretty pointless at this stage. The people arguing that it does cause a condition like being bipolar and the people arguing that it doesn't are not going to change their minds. They just become more entrenched in their own beliefs as they continue to post their arguments and rebuttals.

The only thing I'm going to say for the third? time is that if you're saying marijuana caused this to come out of nowhere and it was solely marijuana then you don't understand causation/cause and effect. Plain and simple.

I'm not saying that because I'm saying that it's impossible for marijuana to have caused this. There just isn't enough information/studies out there, and from the information available it's impossible to rule out other possibilities and be able to say "This causes this". You just don't have the information.

The incentive to produce flawed studies is to maintain billions of dollars revenue from taxing alcohol and tobacco (your smart ass comment only showcases your ignorance), as well as the good graces of the lobbies for those drugs with the corrections/law enforcement lobbies who give millions to political parties.

I think this is a good point.

If you really want studies than search up the wolf-PAC Young Turks videos on YouTube, they explain it nicely.

And this.

The Establishment's propaganda machina "tree" has many "branches" which have unfortunately penetrated all levels of communications, corporations, healthcare, education, industry, military, foreign partners, and so forth.

Everyone is constantly bombarded by misinformation from them - except North Korea.