• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Why would you fear death?

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
I have been in coma for 2 weeks for sepsis. I have been clinically dead from overdose of U-47700. I have been stabbed in the back, in words literal meaning, when i was eating blood thinning medication from sepsis.
It is so easy to let go of it. This world goes around just fine without you. Why would you be scared of death? Your relatives? You're not there to see their pain, it doesn't matter. Life is just a cycle of shit. I meet a girl, i fuck, i cheat, relationship brokes up and i find a new girl. I get addicted, i rehab, then i get addicted again. What the fuck? There is no point in life, so i would suggest just laughing at the insanity of the world. Don't get depressed about the state of politics, climate change debates, brokeups, anything. Just laugh. It will all repeat itself.
I am existential nihilist and pessimist. I used to be hedonistic nihilist, what in my mind means that you try to get euphoria/good feeling without caring about consequenses.

I was dating one girl back in the days and she told me that i seem like the one cop in True Detective season one. I watched the series and i loved his Schopenhauer philosophy. He also is kinda dirty cop, who likes to use violence to meet his ends and manipulation to get suspects in corner. He is also drug user, so it's no miracle that the girl thinks i seem like him. I can't really tell do i, or do i not seem so much like him, but i like his quotes.

Funny thing about this girl. It was our first date. I was walking to library, where we were supposed to meet. Suddendly two drug cops, who looked like junkies in civil clothes came to me and started searching me and asking who i am going to meet. Then 2 cops cars came, one drive in front of me and one behind me. So 4 more cops came there and looked out my information. Then we had to wait the girl, so she could testify that i was waiting for a date, not a fucking drug deal. I had some coke on my socks, but cops didnt find it. Lucky me.rust cohle.jpg

The girl was pretty confused. She didn't know like anything about me, but i seem like very good behaving person in civil and i act like a real gentleman.

Wow man, that's quite a post. I agree with you in terms of fearing death. Death means the ceasing of it all. You're no longer there. I have never died though, but my experiences in life have led me to not fear it. I do, however, have empathy for my loved ones and I fear it in that sense, because of the pain it would leave people with. It doesn't matter that I'm no longer there to see them suffer. THEY will be there, suffering, and I care about that. What I actually fear the most is someone I love dying. I lost my father recently, it was weird because he had ALS and it was 6 grueling years of slowly dying. But to just suddenly have my girlfriend, or brother, or someone else I love, just die in a car accident or something... it's my worst fear, because that pain would be like nothing else.

So basically, I don't fear death for myself, but I fear the pain of loss if I remain.

As an aside, you said you've been dead and came back. Was it like anything? Some people report various experiences like rising up and seeing their bodies, or going towards a light, or a variety of other things. I'm just curious if you experienced anything. My theory (actually it's my friend's theory) is this: we know there is residual brain activity after death for something like 24-36 hours. Not full brain activity of course, but a slowly diminishing electrical activity. My theory is that during that time is when you experience the "afterlife". And it's going to be whatever it is you expect it or believe it to be.

I think we're all the universe experiencing itself subjectively in an infinity of ways through all forms of life simultaneously. We are all the same consciousness. But when this individual manifestation dies, it's gone.

Great posts above! Nice to see some high caliber discussion around here :)

I don't think life is pointless, but there's also nothing wrong. Universal consciousness is content with anything and everything. The personality construct that's stuck in duality is what has a problem, through the experience level. Reality consciousness doesn't experience anything. It is divine and already complete.

It's hard for me to not take my suffering seriously when it happens because the meat doesn't want to suffer. When the suffering gets extreme enough, it triggers disbelief (i.e. this suffering is unreal), and that reveals what is real. I'm trying to always shift my focus toward that real thing, in all situations, rather than subconsciously wait for situations to get extreme before I remember. You shouldn't have to enter the death state to see what is real.

We live with the experience of duality, but there is a seed of the universe in us that is not dualistic. It has everything we could ever need. Once you realize it, you stop taking life so seriously. It doesn't mean you no longer participate (although for some, maybe that's what happens), it means you are no longer so attached to outcome. If nothing can be truly gained or lost, then how would that change your daily activities? Would it change anything?

I'm not "there" yet. I still get duped by many things... but I at least see the path. We're kind of like hamsters on a wheel. The spoke of the week is the unchanging reality nature, and the wheel going round and round are all the activities that we think are going to reunite us with the eternal bliss we already are. The entire hologram comes from that reality.

To me this kind of clarity about the true reality is the only thing that matters. Nothing else is real.

Death should fear me, as it does. It waits...knowing that thousands of time are running lower every day. Its always known i would be coming.

It cant run or hide, and it will never be ready for me. I am the darkness death could never be..

tic toc tic toc, it knows what is coming it always has

Fate, destiny...... call it what you will but it cant be stopped

Don't fear death, mock it.... I am. Softly whispering " I see you, and you will see me, the messenger, the vessel, your reckoning. For the cargo i bring is a gift from the other side of the shared coin. He warned you, now you will see what real power looks like"

Perfect balance and symmetry.

I was dating one girl back in the days and she told me that i seem like the one cop in True Detective season one. I watched the series and i loved his Schopenhauer philosophy.

Rust Cohle was his name. He was the most atheistic person I ever saw on a screen. But the show had meaning. Rust had something happen to him that changed him in the end. I thought that was a wonderful punch line for him and very worth pondering. :) Life is to be paid attention too regardless of what we believe.
Privacy policy

I dunno why but I'd fear a long protracted painful death but what's gonna happen is gonna happen.

Well, a drawn out, protracted death involves great suffering, which it makes sense to fear. Ideally one could overcome suffering by distancing oneself from the importance of it but it's pretty hard to not react to physical suffering when our entire mammalian brain is tied up intricately with the pain and reward systems. I also fear a drawn out death, especially after seeing my dad endure one.

Well by that I meant more like dying slowly over the course of.hours. If I knew I was going to die anyways over the course of years or so.id probably just choose to end it myself at some point.

I'm not suicidal at all, but I gotta admit I take comfort in the fact I got a way to end it really quickly if I ever get to the point where my health is failing and life isn't worth living or whatever. I don't think anyone should be forced to be alive if they're just suffering all the time.

Death isn't something to be scared or worried about, in fact I firmly believe it should be embraced, though I've come close once after getting run over I'm yet to see the light & leave my body but I firmly believe death isn't the end, it is mearly a jumping off point for what comes next.

" I see you, and you will see me, the messenger, the vessel, your reckoning. For the cargo i bring is a gift from the other side of the shared coin. He warned you, now you will see what real power looks like"
So basically, I don't fear death for myself, but I fear the pain of loss if I remain.
damn... wonder if we all feel this way about "death" here? maybe a poll is in order?
OT:
we shouldn't fear death, IMO and should beat it back as much as possible re we are imortal... cant kill jah.
great post OP and all the content that followed redlects my thoughts roughly.
been "dead" a few time starting at age of 6-7 by way of slipping off of a high-dive board and landing head first on the concrete below.
other instances abound and it makes me wonder....

Some people may believe there are meanings or end-purposes in life that they can strive to meet and that death would interrupt some goals or points. Finding patterns and meaning where there may be nothing seems to be a strongly human trait. Nihilism doesn't sit well with some. Some think they can do more than they perhaps can. We may both want to create and destroy, to make change.

Some may see the loss that others experience- people can be devastated by a death, the loss of some active life/ area of interaction with another that is never replaced. I've known a few people who never recovered from a loss of a partner or child. We may not feel what others feel entirely, but we can imagine and project. We read the works and memories of others, work in the world lived in, loved (and hated, and ignored) by others.

Some fear change and the unknown, uncertainty. A loss of (perceived) control. Some change of fate. Particular deaths and circumstances can be painful and unpleasant to consider.

Biologically if there isn't some imperative for self-preservation there perhaps would be less life overall. Life comes from life, and life that preserves itself in some ways may have more chances to beget more life. Evolutionarily a fear of death would have influence.

I had a girlfriend who was big into Kierkegaard, who embraced courageously engaging with suffering as part of human existence. Perhaps part of that was embracing a challenge to religiosity in terms of suffering. Kierkegaard did try to reconcile the finite with the infinite, emphasizing the point of faith and striving in approaching the concept of death, dread. A lot of fighting and approaching death anxiety and challenges to meaning. She also liked Levinas who I glaze over even thinking about some of his sentences / constructs, in response to Heidegger.

I don't personally fear death nor do I follow or understand at a high or low level some of the sentiments listed, but I can see why many struggle with the fear of death / death anxiety. I haven't embraced death at times either, sometimes I have laughed at it but sometimes it doesn't seem to matter. Why cry, why smile, why laugh, why not? Why embrace anything or nothing? I don't know what comes next, if anything, though I tend to believe parts of us continue through influences regardless (whatever arrogance or ignorance that may present ). I have tried to kill myself in the past but I am glad I did not succeed. The concept of fearing death in interfering with life can be counterproductive, but some motivate themselves to do things by such fears. I'm not sure what really is reality in and of itself, but I'm working to try to embrace it and life.

Waffle waffle.

Well by that I meant more like dying slowly over the course of.hours. If I knew I was going to die anyways over the course of years or so.id probably just choose to end it myself at some point.

If I was dying and knew it was soon and I'd be in a lot of pain I'd hope to take a fatal amount of either an opiate or a barbiturate. I Tried to kill myself with Phenobarbital once (obv I failed but was in a coma for a bit) and it was very fast and very peaceful.

Every time I ODd intentional or not it was quick and peaceful. Best way to die for sure.

We have a saying in our family. The last one left alive loses. Because it is the people left that do feel the loss. I think that loss we all have to experience. We feel loss because we loved. So that old saying to me is true in that it is better to have love and lost than never to have loved at all. I have had some people close to me die some not so great deaths. But through that feeling of loss I really defined just how much I loved them. I think that is why a funeral is sometimes looked at as a celebration of someone's life. Paramahansa Yogananda pointed out a baby is born and it cries but we all rejoice that it is here. In death the people here are left crying and the person that passed on rejoices. Seems the people that enter or are left on the Earth are the ones crying.

I am not sure what I would do if I knew I was going to die a hard death. But I agree, heroin OD is nice and clean. I never understood the people that cut their own throat or even hang themselves. That's ballsy. So ballsy they should use that chutzpah to live and kick all our asses.

Wow man, that's quite a post. I agree with you in terms of fearing death. Death means the ceasing of it all. You're no longer there. I have never died though, but my experiences in life have led me to not fear it. I do, however, have empathy for my loved ones and I fear it in that sense, because of the pain it would leave people with. It doesn't matter that I'm no longer there to see them suffer. THEY will be there, suffering, and I care about that. What I actually fear the most is someone I love dying. I lost my father recently, it was weird because he had ALS and it was 6 grueling years of slowly dying. But to just suddenly have my girlfriend, or brother, or someone else I love, just die in a car accident or something... it's my worst fear, because that pain would be like nothing else.

As an aside, you said you've been dead and came back. Was it like anything? Some people report various experiences like rising up and seeing their bodies, or going towards a light, or a variety of other things. I'm just curious if you experienced anything. My theory (actually it's my friend's theory) is this: we know there is residual brain activity after death for something like 24-36 hours. Not full brain activity of course, but a slowly diminishing electrical activity. My theory is that during that time is when you experience the "afterlife". And it's going to be whatever it is you expect it or believe it to be.

I think we're all the universe experiencing itself subjectively in an infinity of ways through all forms of life simultaneously. We are all the same consciousness. But when this individual manifestation dies, it's gone.
Sorry for your loss. My grandpa has alzaimers. I have told doctors, just kill him - please. So has my father. He doesn't know me anymore, he is just dead soul who is medicaded waiting to leave. Here you have to write the euthanasia thing for yourself, your relatives cant do it. I fucking hate it.