• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Why do people refer to Ecstasy and Molly as though they are two different things?

The MDMA I can buy is the crystal stuff (buying per gram rather than in pills) and it 73% purity, cut with inactive things not RC stims. Is this good quality or bad?
I'm thinking of offering the same price and asking for .73g of pure, if they can.

"I can attest from my experience that from east coast to west the shit is wack and has been for a decade."

This is what many of us have noticed. Come to our thread...

Read the 88 pages and many years of anecdotal and collaborative data...

As I like to say, come for the info but stay for the community!

Ok since you seem to missing the point, lemme break down what you've said and why its wrong.

"Molly<ecstasy" You seem to be claiming one is different or better than the other here. Im saying thats wrong. Molly and ecstasy should be the same thing, and if they arent pure mdma, then you dont have pure ecstasy or molly. Thats why its wrong.

"X doesnt even exist anymore" Um, yes it does. It never went anywhere, but a lot of people suspect something has changed in its manufacturing, hence why i said you could be HELPFUL on that thread i mentioned. How bout going there and helping the discussion with your current experiences, rather than what you think you are doing here.
Let me break down for you what I’ve said. X is better than molly in my experience. Do I need to consult with you for my drug related experiences?? These are my experiences and preferences not yours. Secondly, the x and molly around aren’t worth doing in MY opinion. Not yours. The shit I’ve seen from various parts of the US is garbage compared to what it used to be. And not worth the hangover. Again, these are my thoughts and experiences. What are you, the defender of the current quality of mdma? Or just a douche trying to flex on a drug forum. And do you really think that for each original thought people have, they will scour bl to see if there was another post about it? Who gives a f if it was posted elsewhere. I find it informative to know other peoples experiences, sorry you have to police other people and try to correct people because you have nothing better to do. I bet you’re a blast to be around

TrapZeppelin, what you are saying is the same as what I have noticed and what many people have noticed. There was a marked decrease in quality of a lot of MDMA about 10 years ago. Side effects went up and the experience itself went down. People across the world have noticed this same shift, with the same switch in effects/comedown/profile. We would really like to hear your experience in our thread, as we are trying to gather as much data as possible.

(edited to add: I do not mean this in a negative way at all. I am not saying, "oh, you should have noticed the other thread." I just genuinely want to invite you over because this mystery of what has happened to MDMA over the years is very complex and nuanced and we need all the input we can get from other people who have noticed the same shift.)

TrapZeppelin, what you are saying is the same as what I have noticed and what many people have noticed. There was a marked decrease in quality of a lot of MDMA about 10 years ago. Side effects went up and the experience itself went down. People across the world have noticed this same shift, with the same switch in effects/comedown/profile. We would really like to hear your experience in our thread, as we are trying to gather as much data as possible.

(edited to add: I do not mean this in a negative way at all. I am not saying, "oh, you should have noticed the other thread." I just genuinely want to invite you over because this mystery of what has happened to MDMA over the years is very complex and nuanced and we need all the input we can get from other people who have noticed the same shift.)
I’d be glad to. Didn’t know it was there. Thanks

Ignorance, really. Most people know nothing about drugs, all of us here seeking answers online are in the minority. Slang names happen - ecstasy for pills, molly for crystals/powder. Since it's 2 different names, many people think of them as 2 different drugs. This would happen even if both forms were always pure, clean MDMA.

#this

"I can attest from my experience that from east coast to west the shit is wack and has been for a decade."

This is what many of us have noticed. Come to our thread...

Read the 88 pages and many years of anecdotal and collaborative data...

As I like to say, come for the info but stay for the community!
will do! Be there tomorrow whilst I appear to be working ??

Molly and ecstasy are SUPPOSED to be the same thing. Most molly floating around in my area is meth or RCs. It disgusts me personally. As for ecstasy, I went through over 100pills in my area, I don't think even one of them had MDMA, a few were meth bombs and i.had a few that were 2ci

It definitely does seem to be the case that on the whole, "ecstasy" is generally much more adulterated in the US compared to Europe certainly the UK anyway.

Molly<ecstasy

X doesn’t even exist anymore. And molly is trash too. I won’t even touch either one anymore. The euphoric feelings are so few and far between and the hangovers are just awful.

Back in 2002-2008 x was incredible. It’s really sad, where did it all go?!

As stated, this is subjective information (talking about ‘molly < ecstasy’) that is completely false (from the point of being entirely subjective with no real meaning behind it).

I’m younger, and having been in the college/grad school age music festival crowd a lot, the term ‘molly’ for all intensive purposes has generally been understood by young people to mean MDMA - specially unadulterated MDMA.

Obviously we know that most people’s ‘guy’ will say anything to sell according to the most recent drug trends so, in reality, molly many times is adulterated even though the intent was to separate it from pills, ecstasy, that often combined with meth or amphetamine.

In general though, from my experience, it could mean pills or crystal and was also coined to be a more low key term than just saying ‘ecstasy’ which tends to draw a lot more attention obviously - hence the term ‘have you seen my girl molly’ or some variation of it.

Also worth noting that I’ve also caught a number of undercover cops approaching me at shows with similar terms but phrased in very rarely used/odd ways.

In reality the two are supposed to refer to the same substance obviously, MDMA, but molly is just a friendlier term that draws less attention in the way I’ve seen it used now.

Just realized that pills and xtc (pills), although they indicate the same thing. Ime are used seperate for differnet circumstances. whit close ones one trust's.

When buying them in a unfamiliar place from a dealer. MDMA or XTC are not the kinda slang you use, even pills seems borderline. Could be one of the explanetion's why some people associate drugs by slang and not by what they are actually taking.

My last dealer called them machines. Although the translation to english doesn't do the name any right. But it was MDMA always. Would I have asked if he had powder MDMA he would have givven me a weird look.

Ecstasy in the united states is a widespread slang name for MDMA. Atleast in school in DARE classes lol. It seems nowadays that term is long gone, now everything is molly, and like ecstasy, that's hardly the case it being actually MDMA. Stupid usa

As stated, this is subjective information (talking about ‘molly < ecstasy’) that is completely false (from the point of being entirely subjective with no real meaning behind it).

I’m younger, and having been in the college/grad school age music festival crowd a lot, the term ‘molly’ for all intensive purposes has generally been understood by young people to mean MDMA - specially unadulterated MDMA.

Obviously we know that most people’s ‘guy’ will say anything to sell according to the most recent drug trends so, in reality, molly many times is adulterated even though the intent was to separate it from pills, ecstasy, that often combined with meth or amphetamine.

In general though, from my experience, it could mean pills or crystal and was also coined to be a more low key term than just saying ‘ecstasy’ which tends to draw a lot more attention obviously - hence the term ‘have you seen my girl molly’ or some variation of it.

Also worth noting that I’ve also caught a number of undercover cops approaching me at shows with similar terms but phrased in very rarely used/odd ways.

In reality the two are supposed to refer to the same substance obviously, MDMA, but molly is just a friendlier term that draws less attention in the way I’ve seen it used now.
There is real meaning behind it. X > Molly for the several reasons, if it comes in a pill the chances of it being cut are much lower than some powdery unknown substance that has swapped hands a thousand times. And as someone who sounds older than you, I’ve never in my life experienced Molly that has even similar effects to x in 2000-2010. What that means exactly who knows. Unless you’re the chemist cranking this stuff out you don’t know. So aren’t we all here subjectively guessing at this shit anyway? The term Molly didn’t come around until the powdered “pure” shit was all that’s around. So yeah from someone who’s experimented with x/molly/etc dating back 20 years I think I’m entitled to my own opinion. Just like you’re entitled to yours.

This whole thread is a lot of semantics.

The unfortunate reality is that although molly and ecstasy are both supposed to be MDMA, it is most often the case that they are not. Similarly, even if you buy "MDMA" it is likely to not be MDMA. Drug dealers can call their product anything, or claim anything about it. With the rise of the dark web, it is not uncommon to see advertisements claiming specific purity, origins etc. An advertisement may list "85% pure Dutch MDMA" but it may not contain MDMA at all.

Whether pills are better in your area are better, or "molly" is better in your area is largely going to be a regional issue. Who supplies the product? Where does it come from? How is it made?

A quick look at lab results will show that it is all adulterated - powder, crystals, pills etc.

I just read an article that stated that "the DEA reports that only 13 percent of the molly it analyzed in New York between 2009 and 2013 contained traces of actual MDMA."

Link: https://maps.org/news/media/5993-playboy-ecstasy-was-legal-in-1984,-and-it-was-glorious

Bottom line: It doesn't matter what it is called, never believe it is pure MDMA. Test it. Test it. Test it. Even after that, proceed with caution.

(@TrapZeppelin My personal experience has been the same as yours. I have never had a power or crystal with the same effects as the pills that were floating around in the early-mid 2000s)

This whole thread is a lot of semantics.

The unfortunate reality is that although molly and ecstasy are both supposed to be MDMA, it is most often the case that they are not. Similarly, even if you buy "MDMA" it is likely to not be MDMA. Drug dealers can call their product anything, or claim anything about it. With the rise of the dark web, it is not uncommon to see advertisements claiming specific purity, origins etc. An advertisement may list "85% pure Dutch MDMA" but it may not contain MDMA at all.

Whether pills are better in your area are better, or "molly" is better in your area is largely going to be a regional issue. Who supplies the product? Where does it come from? How is it made?

A quick look at lab results will show that it is all adulterated - powder, crystals, pills etc.

I just read an article that stated that "the DEA reports that only 13 percent of the molly it analyzed in New York between 2009 and 2013 contained traces of actual MDMA."

Link: https://maps.org/news/media/5993-playboy-ecstasy-was-legal-in-1984,-and-it-was-glorious

Bottom line: It doesn't matter what it is called, never believe it is pure MDMA. Test it. Test it. Test it. Even after that, proceed with caution.

(@TrapZeppelin My personal experience has been the same as yours. I have never had a power or crystal with the same effects as the pills that were floating around in the early-mid 2000s)
I do however not agree that it does not matter what it is called. It matters when in the eyes of the general public it gives the impression of being 2 distinct drugs, this gives dealers, and producers even, an excuse to adulterate their drugs because "it's supposed to be different, of course, it's molly not ecstasy". It might not matter directly but I think it makes a huge difference indirectly what names are used. Just the fact that people are arguing MDMA > molly, proves this. It matters a lot, since it is exactly this type of discussion that perpetuates and facilitates this situation

Last edited:
I do however not agree that it does not matter what it is called. It matters when in the eyes of the general public it gives the impression of being 2 distinct drugs, this gives producers an excuse to adulterated their drugs because "it's supposed to be different, of course, it's molly not ecstasy". It might not matter directly but I think it makes a huge difference indirectly what names are used. Just the fact that people are arguing MDMA > molly, proves this. It matters a lot, since it is exactly this type of discussion that perpetuates this situation

Good point. After all, dealers are just salesmen that will use whatever term for their product is trending at the moment. Hell, they even invent half of them...

There is real meaning behind it. X > Molly for the several reasons, if it comes in a pill the chances of it being cut are much lower than some powdery unknown substance that has swapped hands a thousand times.

I normally let things like this go but if you think pills are less likely to be cut then you are so, so wrong. Anyone with decent knowledge on here can tell you that one, the VAST majority of pills and power are cut and, two, pills are notorious for being cut and probably more so than crystal.

And, yes, I’d be willing to be you are older than me but I’d also bet that I know a hell of a lot more about organic chemistry. Have you ever run and IR spectra? NMR spectra? Mass spec? Any type of chromatography? Do you know how they work? How to read them?

These two terms are meant to refer to the same drug - 3,4-methylenedioxymethylamphetamine. Yes you are entitled to your opinion, but at least make it an informed one as I doubt you could even write the chemical structure from the name.

The crystals here are pretty damn pure. There was even a BBC documentary called "Newcastle: Super Strength MDMA".

Ecstasy is such an old term nowadays.

I've always gone with with it in crystalline form and referred to it as "MDMA" in order to avoid confusion/reduce chances of receiving something adulterated.
I guess I could ask for "3,4-Methylenedioxymethamphetamine" but I think that'd get me shot haha.