• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Random Which serial killers or true crimes intrigue you?

There was a good show called "American Ripper" that was on for a while about a year ago where H.H. Holmes like great great grandson is going around doing research to try to prove that Holmes and The Ripper were the same person. I keep meaning to look up whether or not the show is coming back on the air, but I'm doubting it will because I don't see it as likely that they will be able to prove one way or another that they are or aren't the same person and then that basically seems like it would end the show in an anticlimactically.

There did seem to be some clues that they might be the same person, particularly the fact that records indicate that Holmes was in London giving lectures on how to dissect corpses as the same times as some of the ripper murders, and the fact that he was a doctor and that it has often been thought that the ripper might have been to have been able to dissect his victims so easily.

However, I don't see how Holmes is anything like Manson in terms of ideology. He didn't want a race war and didn't seem to have any political motivation for his crimes, so I'm not sure where you got that idea.

That actually was a typographical error -- I can actually see no reason why Manson and Holmes are included in the same group in any respect other than he killed people, and though the Manson people killed on more than one occasion, Manson was really not a serial killer.

That actually was a typographical error -- I can actually see no reason why Manson and Holmes are included in the same group in any respect other than he killed people, and though the Manson people killed on more than one occasion, Manson was really not a serial killer.

Agreed.

Yeah, Manson and Holmes don't have much in common.

The decoded cleartext of the 31. July 1969 Zodiac enciphered letter to the San Francisco Chronicle had the eighteen letters EBEORIETEMETHHPITI at the end, and I am not certain if anyone actually has decoded them yet, this is the one of which I was thinking . . .

In all likelyhood it's just padding to make the ciphertext fit the grid. It probably doesn't mean anything.

That last line from the Zodiac Killer:

Everyone
Becomes
Exhausted
On
Regular
Intake . . .
Educate
The
Educators:
M
E
T
H
Helps
Push
Individuality
To
Infinity

Cult leaders are of interest to me.

Aside from the obvious ones like Manson, more recently there was a bloke arrested just last year called Keith Raniere who was openly running his cult as a "self-improvement" pyramid scheme company called NXIVM since 1998.

He was helped in running it by multiple actresses and one billionaire heiress. It had a "secret society" for women where they were branded and made into sex slaves. And honestly aside from the top bloke himself, everyone else involved in running this thing was a woman. They also managed to get the Dalai Lama to promote their cult for them for $2 million. They also attempted to lure a bunch of anti-cult investigators to Mexico and have them arrested on false charges.

What I find most crazy about all this is he was able to run this thing relatively openly (as a registered company actively recruiting people) in today's modern world for 10 years before he was finally caught. It's easy to read about previous cult leaders like Manson and go well it was easier to get away with shit way back then before you had modern forensic technology. This guy went a decade doing all this crazy shit and making billions in the open.

The article about the guy himself also shows some interesting peeks into the developing mind of a genuine psychopath:

One classmate recalled an incident in which she had unwittingly shared "compromising" information about one of her sisters in front of a 9- or 10-year-old Raniere. According to her recollection, Raniere had told her: "You know, it’s like I have this little bottle of poison I can hold over your head ... I just don’t think your parents or your sister would be very happy if I told them." She claims Raniere "would call me sometimes and say, 'Little bottles, little bottles'".

Bouchey likewise recalled a story about a 13-year-old Raniere's relationships with girls: "dozens of young girls were calling the house and [Raniere's mother] was overhearing his conversations with them where he was telling every single girl the same thing: I love you. You're the special one. You’re important. You are the only one in my life and I love you.’ And she says, he's saying this to all these girls. He's clearly lying ‘cause all of them are not special!"

In 1998, Keith Raniere's then-partner Toni Natalie met Nancy Salzman, a nurse and trained practitioner of hypnotism and Neuro-Linguistic Programming. Natalie recalled:

"Nancy said 'You're so wonderful, how can I help you?' So I said well, you can help me with my boyfriend. He had grandiose ideas and his hours were becoming erratic again... She listened and she said 'Oh that's easy, I can help you. He's a sociopath'... They met, and four days later, she came out with the glazed eyes and gave me the 'you don't know who he is' and I was like 'wow, there goes another one'.

Also in 1998, Raniere met Christine Marie Melanakos, a recently divorced mother who had won the title "Mrs. Michigan 1995". She recalled that Raniere "explained how there was a profound event that would often happen to the women who became intimate with him, sometimes they would even see a blue light. ... Ultimately I agreed to be intimate with Keith, and it was just as he said. I even saw a blue light, but I don't think I told him so. I remember thinking, 'Wow, my brain is really susceptible to the power of suggestion.'"

I havent seen it yet. Kind of forgot about it. Propably gonna watch it now since Ive been looking for a series to watch.

I havent seen it yet. Kind of forgot about it. Propably gonna watch it now since Ive been looking for a series to watch.
Yeah you should enjoy it, it’s pretty good. Goes into a time he was put through some pretty sketchy psychological studies at his uni which would be deemed unethical now. Apparently he changed after that.

Goes into a time he was put through some pretty sketchy psychological studies at his uni which would be deemed unethical now. Apparently he changed after that.
I believe it. Ive read that there was all kind of fucked up tests back in the day. Even the army teaches/conditions you to dehumanize people as "invaders/enemies".

Did you watch the unabomber Netflix special? I found it really interesting.

I saw that. Read most of his manifesto shortly after. Say what you will about his actions but his ideas have plenty of merit. The predictions he made about the relationship between humans and technology are very much coming true.

I'm not even saying this as someone who hates technology. I love it, I work for a huge tech company. But I can clearly see the downsides to technology in everyday life. And we do rely on it way way too much, to the point where if the internet went down it'd cause a deeper global recession than any other event in history. Society as we know it would collapse without the internet at this point.

I made a thread here on BL discussing the manifesto if you're interested:

I saw that. Read most of his manifesto shortly after. Say what you will about his actions but his ideas have plenty of merit. The predictions he made about the relationship between humans and technology are very much coming true.

I'm not even saying this as someone who hates technology. I love it, I work for a huge tech company. But I can clearly see the downsides to technology in everyday life.

I made a thread here on BL discussing the manifesto if you're interested:

Awesome I’ll check it out! Yeah I definitely didn’t agree with his methods but he was right about what he was saying. I have read his manifesto also.

Awesome I’ll check it out! Yeah I definitely didn’t agree with his methods but he was right about what he was saying. I have read his manifesto also.

I suspect most people who find themselves agreeing Nietzsche would also agree with Kaczynski for similar reasons. The overarching theme of the individual vs. society is shared. Technology facilitates greater state power and has the potential to become a power in and of itself in the future. Nietzsche certainly pulls no punches when criticising the dangers of reliance on the state.

Technology can also be used to protect personal freedom, and I'm a big fan of projects that exist for that end, especially decentralised networks. But it still occurs to me that it wouldn't be necessary to create such things if technology wasn't already being used for mass surveillance and control to begin with. Technology enables the exact thing the freedom enabling technology is fighting against to begin with.

That said if you (or anyone else) happen to be interested in an effortpost about how to set up a secure and private smartphone, how to use the best encrypted messaging in order to evade state surveillance and other bad actors (e.g. identity thieves), how to set up a secure and private laptop, how to secure your local home network, and really a whole bunch of practical suggestions on increasing your personal privacy and security as much as possible, I could write a very detailed one. I'd explain the reasoning behind each thing I recommend to give an understanding too. I am extremely knowledgeable about that kind of stuff.

I suspect most people who find themselves agreeing Nietzsche would also agree with Kaczynski for similar reasons. The overarching theme of the individual vs. society is shared. Technology facilitates greater state power and has the potential to become a power in and of itself in the future. Nietzsche certainly pulls no punches when criticising the dangers of reliance on the state.

Technology can also be used to protect personal freedom, and I'm a big fan of projects that exist for that end, especially decentralised networks. But it still occurs to me that it wouldn't be necessary to create such things if technology wasn't already being used for mass surveillance and control to begin with. Technology enables the exact thing the freedom enabling technology is fighting against to begin with.

That said if you (or anyone else) happen to be interested in an effortpost about how to set up a secure and private smartphone, how to use the best encrypted messaging in order to evade state surveillance and other bad actors (e.g. identity thieves), how to set up a secure and private laptop, how to secure your local home network, and really a whole bunch of practical suggestions on increasing your personal privacy and security as much as possible, I could write a very detailed one. I'd explain the reasoning behind each thing I recommend to give an understanding too. I am extremely knowledgeable about that kind of stuff.
Hell yes I think that would be an incredible post!!

I seen a really scary post the other day about government developing an app that will let you know if you’ve came into contact with someone with covid. This is terrifying to me and I sure as shit won’t be downloading it.

Hell yes I think that would be an incredible post!!

I seen a really scary post the other day about government developing an app that will let you know if you’ve came into contact with someone with covid. This is terrifying to me and I sure as shit won’t be downloading it.

I'll begin drafting it now and let you know when it's posted. Depending on how long my speed peak lasts I could have it done today. But I might leave it a few days for redrafting, fixing any mistakes I missed, adding bits I forgot, cleaning up wording, etc.

I saw that contact tracing thing. I really do find it concerning how many people are comfortable just being tracked 24/7. Most people leave location services on in the background.

Orwell thought the state would need to force us to have telescreens in our houses. In reality we will happily pay £1,200 for the latest portable telescreen as long as it has a slightly improved camera.

In reality we will happily pay £1,200 for the latest portable telescreen
Mostly correct.
I would not own a smart tv.
I disable all cams and mics from BIOS and root code but know that is not fool-proof. No "hey google" here.
Make em work for it is my MO... gotta work for mine... shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

robert pickton of vancouver bc was a pretty twisted fuck. killed like 49 at minimum hookers in the downtown eastside in the 90s and early 2000. they also think there may be more but not sure. gary ridgeway in seattle was also a twisted fucker killer far more than pickton did. they actually have suspicions he had gone up to vancouver for a bit to and killed. over 70 women are suspected of being murdered at his hands if i remember correctly.

I am fascinated by unsolved mysteries so my favorite serial killers are those who don't know their real identity.
The Zodiac killer, for example. After watching the David Fincher movie, I was convinced that Arthur Leigh Allen was the perpetrator. But after reading a lot of the case, I'm not so sure about that.
Hopefully in the future it can be solved like the Golden State Killer/The Original Night Stalker/East Area Rapist case.