Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film What's the Last Film You Saw? v. Tell Us What You Thought!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Paper Tigers (2020) <Netflix>

Three Kung Fu prodigies have grown into washed-up, middle-aged men, now one kick away from pulling their hamstrings. But when their master is murdered, they must juggle their dead-end jobs, dad duties, and old grudges to avenge his death.

That's pretty accurate, solid cast of B actors you almost recognize, but don't. We start with some glimpses of their teen years as they were the only students of some Sifu master, a few VHS clips of recurring fights with 'Carter' (Mathew Page) as the white guy trying to hard to prove his Kung Fu skills and constantly getting his arse handed to him by the best of the three teens, Danny Eight Hands (Alain Uy). Danny is perhaps the best among the B actors, but Hing (Ron Yuan) provides the heart and soul of the group; not sure what Jim brings to the trio other than being the token black guy. First act sets our characters, where we focus a lot on Danny being divorced and not the best dad but someone we can relate to, it provides glimpses back to their teen years and establishes that Danny was good enough to get an invite to Japan where he promptly disappeared leaving his friends. Now their Sifu has died (we get a scene of someone Kung Fu'ing him in an alley, so was he that good?) and the trio reunite to solve the death. Carter is played perfectly as that obnoxious white guy, and provides our nemesis through the second act. Ok, too much detail, sorry. Cut to the chase, the acting is decent if you are ready to watch B acting. The plot is pretty thin, such that there is a new character introduced in the last act that had nothing to do with the earlier acts really, kinda cheap cop out, IMO. Decent fight sequences, better than expected from a B movie. But the true value of this film is in the writing and dialogue. In searching for the killer we have our trio square off against a young street gang, and there is frequent back and forth with Carter doling out clues and wanting to fight Danny again to hopefully win one finally. I seriously laughed out loud several times like I haven't in years. That alone was worth the price of admission. The story wraps up, mystery solved, everyone re-evaluates who they are, who they want to be going forward, yay...a Disney ending without the princess. Not a great film, but decent, and just right for a cheap 90min of low brow humor if you're up for it = for example, Carter offers to fight each of the three and if any one of them beats him he'll divulge what he knows. Second round is deemed an unfair match so he offers his opponent a weapon and says the fight is to first blood. Conversation flows to something like (going from memory, no quotes on imdb)

Hing: First blood? Even a drop?
Carter: Even a pin prick.
Hing: I'll pin you, ya prick.
Carter: I'll pin you with my prick....uh...
Hing: Dumb looks at his buddies

Like I said, low brow, but it flows very well. Worth it. 6.5/10

The last movie that I watched last & was actually worth watching a second time is the movie Shot Caller.

Badass fucking movie.

Free Guy

Could have been really interesting but instead went rapidly from a trippy Truman Show type thing into Matrix crossed with a soap opera and multiple zigzagging storylines. I disconnect then there's a great scene or two. It's all over the place. I'm tired of this sort of high budget Hollywood storytelling.

At one point, for no reason whatsoever, buildings were unfolding like some kind of beautiful 3d architectural origami - and that's great - but it's got to fit into the story.

I watched Spider-Man Morales up until Peter Parker the real Spider-Man literally got killed. Refused to watch anymore after that who wants to watch a 14 year old kid he Spider-Man I mean it's a nice family film but killing Spider-Man was to much for me I've never been a big superhero movie guy except for spidey I'm an old school spidey fan I played the first game on ps1 which was ground-breaking for its time watched the animated series as a kid which is actually a guilty pleasure of mine.

Now I know this may seem controversial to some and maybe I'm just blinded by childhood nostalgia but Toby Maguire will always be the trust Spider-Man to me not just from the films but the games to I played nearly all the games on ps2 and good old toby voiced the first 3 maybe more not sure oh and I also have no problems with Spider-Man 3 I think they introduced the symbiote storyline (which is my favourite) flawlessly.

Don't get me wrong though, I can see why some people might have raised their eyebrows a bit when he's busting those old school 80s dance moves and I hesitate to call them dance moves but I think most people didn't realise what that was about because they were to busy being snobby the whole point of him doing that was because of all the power and confidence the black suit gave him he felt like he could do anything and have anyone the 3rd one is actually my favourite I do think they could have done more justice to Eddie Brock though because in the cannon it wasn't actually his fault he got fired and he lost his house, life and everything and he blamed Spider-Man for that but in the film he's just blatantly playing a character that people are obviously gonna love to hate it annoys me sometimes how under rated those films are and I know there must be some old school spidey heads like me who grew up with it that agrees with me!😕

Fantastic film, one of my favorites
It's insanely well written and directed, it's been a while since i watched it, i didn't remember it was that good, defintely in my classics now. I don't get why Mathieu Kassovitz "dropped" his director and scenarist career to almost just acting, but apparentrly he's gonna release a movie in 2022, i hope it will not be some blockbuster bullshit like Gothika or Babylon A.D., even though i didn't see Gothika but i guess it's not the same genre of "experimental" film than la Haine

Isn't that from Tropic Thunder? This shit was crazy af!
Yeh, one of the fake trailers in the beginning lol.

Dune (2021) was amazing, I was extremely surprised in fact at how damned good it was. I'll write up a real review later but I'll just say all my worst fears for this film didn't come to fruition, at all. It blew the David Lynch adaptation out of the water on so many levels.

Dune (2021) was amazing, I was extremely surprised in fact at how damned good it was. I'll write up a real review later but I'll just say all my worst fears for this film didn't come to fruition, at all. It blew the David Lynch adaptation out of the water on so many levels.
Honestly it's a killer in term of design, music, etc.... But it's so lame. I think the David Lynch version must be 10x better, and it's reputated to be a shitty movie...

Dune: Part One (2021)

So, I'm copy and pasting most of this from a post I made elsewhere, but this about sums up how I feel about this most recent adaptation. I've put it in spoiler tags as those who've never read the book will have lots of the plot spoiled.

Idk, I guess Dennis Villeneuve has really set my expectations pretty low for his films so Dune was exceptional. He barely put any 'wokeness' in it and hell, Idk why he cast Jammis as a black dude... seemed more racially charged having Timothy Chalmette kill a black guy and then take his wife and kids (maybe that'll be dropped from part two?) than to just have two white/arabic dudes doing the same thing, but maybe I'm reading far too deep into the casting choices.

Because I saw ahead of time that Liet Kynes was gender swapped (and race? I'm sorry but I imagine it would take a few generations, not one, for Liet to become black; and I imagine that Imperial employees are mostly white from living on worlds not blanketed in desert) I expected more PC bullshit but the actor who played Liet Kynes did a good job and she proved to me that the gender swap didn't effect things. They didn't talk about (his) kids at all so it didn't matter if he was a man or a woman for the plot.

It's nice to be proven wrong on these things. And Hans Zimmer really did an amazing job (as always) on the soundtrack. In fact I was so proven wrong on the casting choices that I felt even Zendaya did a good job as Chani, which I didn't expect at all. I don't think she's a very good actor but neither is Timothy, they're children. Both showed me that they're on their way to adulthood here though, as again, I was pleasantly surprised at their abilities to emote, etc. While I can say with confidence that Chalmette has never before impressed me as an actor, he did a pretty damn good job of playing Paul Atreides, being both mature and immature in the right places. Paul is a complex character with his place as the messiah as well as being well, a child in part one, so the fact that he was able to capture the essence of both these traits really impressed me.

Overall, I was wrong in almost every way about my fears for this film. It was outstanding and I was only really bothered by the simplification of some parts/words in the lore so to speak. I'd heard some complain that it isn't actually dumbed down enough so I guess Dune will always be a 'read the book first' type flick.

8/10

Never been a Dune guy. Seems like the source material (I haven't read the books) doesn't really suit adaptation... like the more obscure PKD novels.

I have only seen the Lynch version, which had moments but was mostly dull and amateurish in comparison to the bulk of his work including that film where the guy rides a lawnmower across middle America. The Straight Story I think it's called?

I'm going to skip the latest Dune. I think I'd rather read the book.

Never been a Dune guy. Seems like the source material (I haven't read the books) doesn't really suit adaptation... like the more obscure PKD novels.

I have only seen the Lynch version, which had moments but was mostly dull and amateurish in comparison to the bulk of his work including that film where the guy rides a lawnmower across middle America. The Straight Story I think it's called?

I'm going to skip the latest Dune. I think I'd rather read the book.
The book is amazing!!

MydriHaze said:
I think the David Lynch version must be 10x better, and it's reputated to be a shitty movie...

There are many moments during the Lynch version that I was just like WTF this is downright retarded and not good-Lynch-retarded like Bobby from Wild at Heart or the weird seemingly out of place sequences in Elephant Man. I mean like Speed Racer level retarded.

This is coming from someone that pretty much loves everything Lynch. I thought Twin Peaks season 3 was a fucking masterpiece.

Don't watch Lynch's Dune.

It's like watching Elvis crying on a toilet.

There are many moments during the Lynch version that I was just like WTF this is downright retarded and not good-Lynch-retarded like Bobby from Wild at Heart or the weird seemingly out of place sequences in Elephant Man. I mean like Speed Racer level retarded.

This is coming from someone that pretty much loves everything Lynch. I thought Twin Peaks season 3 was a fucking masterpiece.

Don't watch Lynch's Dune.

It's like watching Elvis crying on a toilet.
That's where you went wrong expecting David Lynch instead of expecting Frank Herbert when it comes to Dune.

I wouldn't compare it to speed racer at all but it's outside the box for Lynch.

I said there were moments that made me think of Speed Racer. Like how the fuck can the guys/girls (?) that made the Matrix sign off on this?

I honestly think I enjoyed Speed Racer more than Dune's Lynch. Sting shouldn't have been cast. Either cast David Bowie in Twin Peaks or Sting in Dune. Don't do both.

Those scenes in DL's Dune with the flying fat redheads is etched in my memory forever.

Sometimes the film is - honestly - like an average (maybe even a bad) Star Trek episode.

I said there were moments that made me think of Speed Racer. Like how the fuck can the guys/girls (?) that made the Matrix sign off on this?

I honestly think I enjoyed Speed Racer more than Dune's Lynch. Sting shouldn't have been cast. Either cast David Bowie in Twin Peaks or Sting in Dune. Don't do both.

Those scenes in DL's Dune with the flying fat redheads is etched in my memory forever.
I liked Speed Racer (it was a mad decent homage to an anime era long gone) but I see what you mean here. Lynch’s Dune was about as removed from the rest of his work as it gets.

I think as a book adaptation it was actually a little more faithful than the newest one, but the Toto soundtrack... the fucking Toto soundtrack?! Jesus man. And Sting as Feyd Rautha? Yeah Lynch musta been off kilter on blow that year or something lol

Status
Not open for further replies.