• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc What's something that makes you want to get sober?

FunctionalJnkieGrl

Bluelighter
For me, its the yearning to have a baby. My biological clock is ticking, but I refuse to start a family til I've at least been clean for a full year. 12 years of addiction has put up a serious roadblock on that aspect. I was 2 days into withdrawals in 2010, but it wasn't my choice (i just ran out), so i caved the moment i got a call from a dealer and have been using daily ever since.

Last edited:
1. Looking in the mirror
2. Inability to make progress on an important life goal
3. The decline in my cognitive abilities
4. The endless up/down emotional rollercoaster
5. The desire to have a meaningful and honest relationship with friends and a loving partner.

I could go on, there are many more, but these are top of mind every day.

1. Looking in the mirror
2. Inability to make progress on an important life goal
3. The decline in my cognitive abilities
4. The endless up/down emotional rollercoaster
5. The desire to have a meaningful and honest relationship with friends and a loving partner.

I could go on, there are many more, but these are top of mind every day.
I 2nd #2 for sure, and #4 and #5 to a lesser degree. I've never been a really emotional type, but when I reflect about my drug problem, it really fucks with my head and makes me feel like a shitty person deep down. I'd like to think i have a healthy relationship with friends, family, my fiance and I've always been brutally honest (even to a fault and I never steal from anyone, but always pay people back if i borrow money). They've all expressed that they hate seeing me pinned out. I hate that it bothers them so I try to stay sober or at least "sober-passing" around them. It breaks my heart that I'm still not strong enough to quit, but in my defense, i keep it in check. I might dose everyday, but its mostly just enough to get some shut-eye, which isn't much since I've tapered myself down. I still like to get fucked up once a month because it at least gives me something to look forward to (pathetic, i know, but that's the only high point of my life as of now--no pun intended).

Last edited:
Being around people makes me want to be on drugs. Well, some people are okay actually.

Doing things dutifully by myself makes me want to be sober.
I can relate. Especially when I'm around friends who have kids (because part of me is deeply envious of their wholesome, happy lives and drugs distract me from my discontent about being childless). I know it sounds selfish and pathetic, but it really hits me hard on a personal level so i just try to avoid my "super-mom" friends for both their sake and mine. I'm not good at faking being happy, so i don't wanna be a wet blanket to them or be high while their kids are around, nor do I want the depressing reminder of something I'll likely never be--a mother.

Mostly my wife and kid. But also a thought that I would feel better that way. The only problem is that after a stint of sobriety that lasted one year is that I endured vicious buprenorphine withdrawal and besides being little clear minded I was actually feeling comparably worse. Depression and boredom (covid had something to do with that) just drained all my energy. So I relapsed one night on amphetamines and now am on kratom. I plan to stop kratom in February (winter cold brings out the chronic back pain that got me into opioids in the first place).

I'm trying to say that I don't even know do I want to be sober. I guess pressure of society is the only real reason why I am trying so hard. I have stopped alcohol and cigarettes because of my health (cigarettes) and because I saw they were not good for my relationships (alcohol), so it is possible that I would find similar reasons with other substances. But at the moment opioids and amphetamines are ilegal and very hard to find in their pure form in my country. Couple that with high price and there is a real reason why I want to be sober. So my list would be:

1.) Because I don't want to go to jail
2.) Money
3.) Pressure of society
4.) My wife and kid

If I had access to pharmaceutical grade drugs of my choice and they were legal I honestly don't think I would ever stop completely. I have some self control as I have used opioids and cocaine heavily but never smoked or injected even though people around me have. I also never used heroin even though people around me used it like tic-tacs. And most of them died. So I have some idea how to use drugs responsibly and I am pissed off cause some drugs like benzodiazepines, alcohol, cigarettes...are acceptable in society while others, that would improve quality of my life arent. Sorry for the rant.

Mostly my wife and kid. But also a thought that I would feel better that way. The only problem is that after a stint of sobriety that lasted one year is that I endured vicious buprenorphine withdrawal and besides being little clear minded I was actually feeling comparably worse. Depression and boredom (covid had something to do with that) just drained all my energy. So I relapsed one night on amphetamines and now am on kratom. I plan to stop kratom in February (winter cold brings out the chronic back pain that got me into opioids in the first place).

I'm trying to say that I don't even know do I want to be sober. I guess pressure of society is the only real reason why I am trying so hard. I have stopped alcohol and cigarettes because of my health (cigarettes) and because I saw they were not good for my relationships (alcohol), so it is possible that I would find similar reasons with other substances. But at the moment opioids and amphetamines are ilegal and very hard to find in their pure form in my country. Couple that with high price and there is a real reason why I want to be sober. So my list would be:

1.) Because I don't want to go to jail
2.) Money
3.) Pressure of society
4.) My wife and kid

If I had access to pharmaceutical grade drugs of my choice and they were legal I honestly don't think I would ever stop completely. I have some self control as I have used opioids and cocaine heavily but never smoked or injected even though people around me have. I also never used heroin even though people around me used it like tic-tacs. And most of them died. So I have some idea how to use drugs responsibly and I am pissed off cause some drugs like benzodiazepines, alcohol, cigarettes...are acceptable in society while others, that would improve quality of my life arent. Sorry for the rant.
I'd say all of those reasons are good reasons aside from societal pressure (for the simple fact that I could give a shit less what society as a whole thinks). I've never injected any drug either and don't intend to, thankfully. Yeah, it doesn't make any sense that alcohol and cigarettes, as problematic as they can be, are still 100% legal for adults (my fiance is a heavy beer drinker). I still drink once week, smoke weed daily, and smoke less than a pack of cigs a day though. I agree that if I could get my pills legally, I might never quit--especially if there's no chance that I'll ever have a child of my own. My reasoning for that is: "if I never have children, what's the point of trying to refrain from something I enjoy?" Besides, the desire to start a family is pretty much the only reason why I'd ever try to quit willingly. Otherwise in my case, I don't see the point in quitting if I don't have a moral obligation to set an example for someone. I'm over 30, still childless, and the only thing I'm deeply worried about at this point is that its going to remain that way indefinitely if I don't tackle it soon.

Last edited:
I agree with you. By "societal pressure " I meant things that are very closely related to legal status of my actions. Especially because I have a kid.

I agree with you. By "societal pressure " I meant things that are very closely related to legal status of my actions. Especially because I have a kid.
I see. Nobody wants to go jail or prison. I wish I was a parent myself, but I became an addict long before I considered that if I want to be a mom, having a kid during active addiction isn't the best idea. I'm thankful that I haven't wound up pregnant for the sole fact that I'm an addict, but a girl can dream. Sometimes I hope that it would accidentally happen anyway so I'd be obligated to quit asap and finally have my motherhood wish granted. My fiance (rightfully) refuses to consider having a baby til I've been clean for a good while. Maybe one day when I get my shit together...

Last edited:
Lately listening to older long term amphetamine abusers lengthy rambles has also made me think sobriety is the better option. I do love my stims but I value my capacity for reasoned argument more.
Yeah. In my experience, the heavy users sure do love to talk shit and rant about nonsense--or niche interests at best. For some reason, anytime I bought H it was usually from a tweaker. They always gave me the runaround which usually includes an elaborate story and I'm like "dude, I just wanna get me shit and leave". When I stuck around to use it at their place (cause my fiance would flip if he caught me doing it), their bat-shit crazy energy was too much for me and it would ultimately wind up ruining my high...which in turn is a financial waste.

Last edited:
reason i wanna get my shit together
Wwuxi95.jpg
FRi2K7I.jpg

Yeah. In my experience, the heavy users sure do love to talk shit and rant about nonsense--or niche interests at best. For some reason, anytime I bought H it was usually from a tweaker. They always gave me the runaround which usually includes an elaborate story and I'm like "dude, I just wanna get me shit and leave".
It’s funny because with reasonable doses you usually start your amp career being totally on point and super efficient. I’ve never seen that last even a decade really. First your memory erodes and then your obsessions expand to fill the gap.