• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

What strange little rituals do you have?

PsychoKitten

Bluelight Crew
I don't have OCD (well not diagnosed anyhow;)) however I have a number of strange little ways that I just cannot break.
  • I have my CD's in order of what I listen to most and I crack the shits when they're not put back into order (which is really hard for people who have no idea of my listening preference of the time)
  • I have to leave bluelight (only bluelight - no other board) with an even number of posts - I can not log off for the night/whenever without an even number of posts
  • my shoes are lined up in order of my favourites of the moment
  • i can not work at a clean desk - i have to scatter papers over it before i can sit down to work
that's just to name a few... anybody else got some strange habits?

I have to sleep in a made bed. I usually try to make my bed when i wake up straight away, but sometimes i cant be bothered .. but before i get into my bed .. i make it.

This sounds pointless i know, making a bed up just so you can get into and wreck it again .. but i just like made beds :)

I have OCD, too, not really diagnosed but when I told my doctor about my quirks she said: "Yup, that's definitely very abnormal allright... so, tell me about this depression.." Basically it wasn't a primary concern ;)

Anyway, most of mine are weird things like never having the right side of my body (or anything else) be the last thing I touch before sitting back to relax or doing something like smoking up or pouring a glass of water.

As soon as I touch something on my right, or with my right hand, I get this weird urge that I MUST do the equivalent on the left side before I can relax. Like if I touch a button on the right side of an elevator panel I lightly brush the left one before I step back.

I also sometimes count things, add the numbers up and divide and do anything I can to make it come out 7 or 13. Not sure why. And I can never, EVER have 6 windows of netscape open when reading or replying to an important thread or e-mail, I go to something less important and close it before I do, or open a new one.

Sometimes I can ignore it for long periods, then get attacks, probably connected to the anxiety. If I drink a bunch of alcohol and take some benzos or smoke weed it goes away almost completely, but if I take speed it gets ten times worse. This is one reason I crave the former and had to give up the latter.

And it's not as bad as it sounds, because no one has ever noticed it when I'm sober ;)

--- G.

GillyWin: I can relate to that - i can't sleep in ANY bed unless it has been somewhat made before i get into it, which has resulted in me making many a bed in my time, regardless of the comedown or hangover...

I have a few quirks, but i don't know how strange they really are... little things, like:

* I can't cook in a dirty kitchen. If the kitchen in which i must cook is dirty or messy, i will clean it until it reaches my standards before i even attempt to get into the food making process. I can't leave the kitchen dirty for more than 24 hours in general in fact... i've never lived in a house in which there was a dirty kitchen... :\

* Every night before i go to bed, i have a shower, and ever time i have a shower i do the exact same things in the exact same order... for example: i never wash my face before i have shampooed my hair, and i'll never shave my legs before i've washed my face...
I don't know if this is weird or not, but i never change the orderin which i do things... i just can't... :\

I like to climb up in my attick and sing "yama yama yama yaaaaammaaaa" in the nude with a frozen chicken held tightly against my man-bosom before bed each night. =D:p

I have a ritual with a mate that every time we go to Sounds we have to juggle a water bottle, play catches and annoy the hell out of people for a good hour :)

Istigeit said:
It puts the lotion in the basket or it gets the hose again.

^^ Classic =D

Most of my habits are just plain anal and much like Cosmic Mist's. Showering in sequence, clean kitchens, stacking dishes "just so".

But here's the one true OCD thing I've noticed I do: If I'm reading the paper, and my eyes skim over an article on the left hand page and catch a single word, but I've accidently flipped over before I've put it in context, I cannot continue reading until I've flipped back and read the article. I've tried it.... I'll actually get 4 or 5 pages in but that WORD is still haunting me. Even if the whole article doesn't interest me at all, my brain won't let go until I've gone back and solved the mystery of that word. I've noticed myself doing this and actually tried to force myself to read the whole paper and then put it in the bin.... but sure enough, I've just dragged it out of the bin, gone back to that article and read it to see where the word fits in. Bizzare.

LOL @ Istigeit
I believe some of you are following the tenets of dynamic nominalism when it comes to OCD, your behaviour exists in such a form because you believe you have OCD, not because you actually have it! Its a vey constructed syndrome, same with ADHD!

If I'm reading the paper, and my eyes skim over an article on the left hand page and catch a single word, but I've accidently flipped over before I've put it in context, I cannot continue reading until I've flipped back and read the article.

Omigod i do this too!! It drives me crazy some mornings8(

i actually have my cds in alphabetical order

my clothes in my wardrobe are organised by short skirts, long skirts, short dresses, long dresses, buttoned shirts, jackets

everything in my house has a ceratin place and if anyone moves it 5 cms i'll know (my sister used to move things when i left the room without me knowing and then laugh silently to herself when i came back and just sub conciously moved things back...she only just told me)

everything in my panty and bathroom must be in rows and facing forward

i have to press the little button when i cross the road and even number of times

for a scatterbrain i'm pretty organised 8)

whenever I am driving in a car that passes over an area of the road that is covered by shadow, I have to clench my toes.

Handcream... I have to apply handcream several times daily... I have handcream in my kitchen, bathroom, bedroom, loungeroom, study, car, handbag and office. In fact, in some of those locations I actually have several different kinds so I can match a suitably scented handcream to the perfume I am wearing at the time.

The little door on the front of the TV that hides all the buttons... my room mate opens it to change a channel instead of using the remote, and he leaves it open. I close it. He opens it again to change the channel. I close it. For some reason I simply can not cope with it being open.

I eat 2 mouthfulls of food, then have one sip of my drink, every time I eat a meal. If I run out of drink I have to stop eating.

Every night I have to wrap up Jack like a baby in his little blue bunny rug and cuddle him until he is sleepy, then lay him in his basket before going to bed myself. I think this is as much a ritual for him as it is for me.

wow, quite a few borderline ocd people here :) (drugs are bad, mmkay ;)). i'd really like to go and get it checked out, whether i'm actually an obsessive-compulsive though, 'cos i have literally dozens of things...i'll try to think of a few here...

-i *have* to write without capitals, unless it's something (like uni) that requires them. everything also has to look very consistent too...no different spellings or punctuation uses...stuff like that ya know. i also get very stressed trying to figure out where my 's go...ergh :p

-stereo volume (actually, any numbered volumes for that matter) has to be on 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 10, 12, 14, 15, 16, 18, 20, 22, 24, 25, 26, 28 or 30. 13 is ok too, i guess (it's my entire family's lucky number), but it still makes me nervous.

-my cds MUST be in alphabetical (and chronological, within that) order, or people will die

-dvds are ordered by director, thus, when i get a double dvd box like die hard one and two (different directors), i get really shitty. i still haven't decided what to do when i get the star wars and alien series' respectively. and yes, i think about this.

-i fuss, a lot, over my hair and clothing, only to give up (after lots of time) realising that it's gonna look shit no matter what :\

-if i notice that there's a slight crease in my bedsheets when i'm lying on them, i can't sleep 'til the entire thing is entirely smooth.

-i procrastinate lots too :)

-i take good care of the vast majority of my meaningless things (like magazines). i hate it (and probably you) if you crease or tear my magazines or books :)

-i hoard *everything*

i think that's enough for the moment...my brain hurts :\

I'm with all the Alphabetic CD kids....my CD's are all in alphabetic order(bandname or surname of singer first, then album title),and they exist in 4 separate categories: Soundtracks/Compilations/Group or Solo Albums and Singles/box sets/double CD's and singles in cardboard covers. And they all have to be placed so that the writing on the spine reads from the top down. Or I will seriously go insane.

It used to drive me nuts when I left my CD's in the loungeroom because my housemate or guests would listen to em and then just leave them lying around. Or they'd put them back, but put them back upside down. And it's a pain in the ass when I buy a new CD, because let's say it's the B-52's. Everything from B-52 on needs to be moved forward a notch in the CD holders so I can fit it in its right place.

Oh, and I have absolute mental attacks trying to figure out whether a band name should go under T for "The Vines/The Only Ones" etc or whether it should be the first letter of the word immediately after The. I still am not quite sure how to handle this part.

Other than CD's, I SWEAR I'm the most NOT anal retentive person in the world. It's kinda weird....

--Raz--

des said:
whenever I am driving in a car that passes over an area of the road that is covered by shadow, I have to clench my toes.

That's probably the wierdest thing I'm going to hear this year.