• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

What is love?

yeh i know what you mean but to me thats like saying i dont want to take the pill because of the comedown =)

One of the latest theories, by a scientist named John Allman:

"He thinks he has found an important key to our humanity- an explanation for our ability to love, empathise, feel guilt or embarrassment, to understand decetion and cooperation. While the definition of what makes us human may include language, our large brains and intelligence or the ability to use tools and fire, these complex social emotions set us apart from other animals too. They are judgements made not by reasoning or logic but by a type of rapid intuition which allows us to function in the most complex social environment faced by any animal. And this social intuition is special Allman says, because, of all the traits that make us human, only these quick-fire signals seem to be carried by a recently evolved type of brain cell, unique to higher primates."

So basically love as that split second reation you get, when seeing someone you love, even a photo, is because of a relatively new type of cell (evolution wise) called spindle cells. Of course everyone here also knows that the happy feeling associated with love is due to serotonin and dopamine manufacture.
Spindle cells are only found in humans and some other higher primates (Orang-tans, African apes, Gorillas, Chimps and Bonobos) that have complex social structures. They are active when a mother hears an infant cry or when we sense the pain of a loved one.

By the way spindle cells aren't emotion specific they do other things too...

If anyone is interested in reading the article I got this stuff from it is in the this weeks copy of NewScientist so it should still be at the newsagent.

^ It's the 19th June issue... Number 2452...

If you want I'll betray my copyright agreement and just post the article from the archive...