• ✍️ WORDS ✍️

Welcome Guest!

• Words Moderators: Mysterier

Social What are you currently reading?

Yes, Dennis Johnson. It’s a series of interrelated short stories so it’s kind of a novel as well. Plus, it takes place in Iowa City, where I lived for a time.

It’s kind of an obsession of mine and I’ve reread it many times -the first story just gets me every time. if you do read it please let me know what you think!

I dont think it is exactly centered around the IV thing, but Jesus Son is about a junkie. And there is plenty of shooting up and drug use.

it also happens to be one of the best books written in the last 50 years. I mean it is really tremendous.

Im reading it right now on my phone via pdf...

Like your namesake i once read the entire brothers karamazov on my phone as a pdf. Nearly wound up like Ivan with "brain fever" by doing so...

I have not read nearly enough Stephen king. His short stories are supposed to be among his best. Dude wrote Stand by Me, right?

i’ve seen but haven’t read Jesus’ Son.

finished The Year of the Flood. in line at the elibrary for the final book— with plenty of patience.

reading Holy Smoke by fanny howe in the meantime. reminds me of About Grace by anthony doerr.

I am the calories in your blueberry muffin.

what’s something not depressing but not cutesy, uplifting, or upbeat? something fucked but saccharine like Claudine at School.

think i’m gonna read some joyce carol oates and angela carter to pass time. the world being mean to little girls overdosing on aspirin.

Last edited:
i’m swayed. is availble from the library in the ebook Goodbye, Columbus: And Five Short Stories. will read it first as the other is 500 pages of what i assume to be rape and suicide.

not in practice? You Must Remember This contains exquisite description of wallpaper.
Well, that does sound nice.
I appreciate her and all. Like, yeah she’s a great writer and critic. But whenever i start reading her Im just kinda underwhelmed. But maybe I’ll. Heck out that wallpaper book.

reminded me of The Graduate. end caught me by surprise because i forgot about “and Five Short Stories.”

although both understated, i understood Goodbye, Columbus better than The Graduate. pursuing destiny.

fit the bill. thanks again. finishing the short stories before moving on.

feels like i’ve read more by joyce carol oates than i have. maybe because her books are similar and long. read Foxfire: Confessions of a Girl Gang, You Must Remember This, A Garden of Earthly Delights, and “Where Are You Going, Where Have You Been?”

love her girls. “I can pick fuckin green beans, I can pick fuckin tomatoes, I can pick fuckin strawberries, I can pick fuckin lettuce—”

wallpaper is my favorite so far.

Last edited:
you start Jesus’ Son, @LadyAlkaline?

you reading a ton of books during covid, @cduggles?

you have an ereader, @negrogesic?

how was NOS4A2, @devilsgospel? i didn’t understand the title until i googled.

that’s dope your rereading a book you like, @Karamazov. that’s a habit i want to develop. difficult though. it’s not really like movies. i’m kinda worn on them and have a difficult time finding greats these days, but at a time i was watching 500 films a year. books, it’s like how many more can i get through before i die?

reminded me of The Graduate. end caught me by surprise because i forgot about “and Five Short Stories.”

i never thought of that but yeah, it’s def similar feel. It reminds me of Mysteries of Pittsburg. And also kind of The Great Gatsby. They all have basically the same girls character.

are you gonna read the other stories? The whole book is really good, but the title story is the best. Now you’ve got me rereading!