• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Photo Contest (VOTING CLOSED) Round 400: Anything Goes!!

Which of these submissions is your favorite? Please see the first post for the official entries.

• 1. Zopiclone Bandit

Votes: 9 16.7%
  • 2. chinup

Votes: 9 16.7%
  • 3. leet

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • 4. madness00

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • 5. mal3volent

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • 6. dreamflyer

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • 7. Xorkoth

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • 8. hydroazuanacaine

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • 9. busted.produk

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • 10. Mr.Deeds

• 11. Speed King

• 12. thujone

Votes: 6 11.1%
  • 13. sigmond

• 14. schizopath

• 15. F.U.B.A.R.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
photo currently tied for the win is a phone photo. camera i shot this week's photo on costs less than $80. your photos is solid, well composed, and has an awesome lofi look.

Editing in terms of the methods/exposure time/etc, and filters, used with the camera is 100% allowed, it's post-processing Photoshop stuff that isn't.

Xorkoth's saying one thing, Hydro's saying another. Im confused...

well taking a second look at the initial post, Xorkoth actually does mention no post processing (except filters, which are pretty heavy postwork) in a paragraph above the numbered rules.

none the less, a while back mods discussed the rule and cut it. looks like a version has been added back.

all my photos go through photoshop. doesn’t seem to give me an unfair advantage. if someone’s style is heavy, obvious postwork, it would be lame not to let them participate accordingly.

photo currently tied for the win is a phone photo. camera i shot this week's photo on costs less than $80. your photos is solid, well composed, and has an awesome lofi look.

I appreciate you editing out the bit about me whining, since I wasn't. I've won one of these things the whole time I've been here so again, I don't care. I like spectating as much as participating.

I used to have photoshop several years ago. I know what it's capabilities are. If people want to change the rules that's great.

My camera doesn't even output .jpegs, it outputs .raw file format so each and every one of them have to go through Photo Shop in order to post them on the internet so I wouldn't be able to participate. In fact, that's exactly why I didn't have an entry this round. I've also won a round, so I'm not particularly interested in winning. It's just a lot of fun participating and sharing.

Anyway, just my two cents. :)

Yeah I don't think anyone was criticizing using photoshop to change file formats... "photoshopping" is kinda synonymous with photo editing/enhancement.

they don’t mean just changing file formats. the only unprocessed image is a raw file or unscanned/unprinted piece of film. consumer cameras use an algorithm to quickly process photos for the the user. pro and prosumer cameras can shoot raw — which is only the info collected by the sensor without any automated in-camera processing — so the photographer can have complete control in post.

Reactions: CFC
they don’t mean just changing file formats. the only unprocessed image is a raw file or unscanned/unprinted piece of film. consumer cameras use an algorithm to quickly process photos for the the user. pro and prosumer cameras can shoot raw — which is only the info collected by the sensor without any automated in-camera processing — so the photographer can have complete control in post.

I've obviously never used a camera like that, but I'd think there would be a compromise where those who needed it could use photoshop but stop short of the type of over enhancement that I'm talking about. Yeah it's all artistic style. But it's like saying, we're gonna have a music competition. Most people just use their instruments and a microphone while others fully produce their song in a studio. The studio song is going to win 9 times out of ten.

Then again maybe just say fuck it and let people submit whatever. There's certainly an argument for that as well. I don't know. And I think I've exhausted my knowledge on this particular subject.

As I suggested earlier, why not have two photo contests. One for those who recognise an appealing composition and want to produce a faithful representation of that image; and one for those who want to process the fuck out of shit. Mal's analogy with music is bang on and i was thinking exactly the same myself.

re postprocessing- even resizing an image to post on here counts as post processing, there is presumably some algorithm to decide how best to make it smaller. so its unavoidable.

i don't really agree with the idea of using Photoshop. i don't have Photoshop but can edit images in Python to a similar effect. but then if i'm allowed to use python, i can start manipulating every pixel indvidually. i like FUBARs idea of having a thread for unedited photos and another for a more anything goes approach.

while we're debating what is/isn't permitted, i was wondering if confocal microscopy images would be allowed. its an optical microscope, basically a fancy camera for really high resolution images of small things.

while we're debating what is/isn't permitted, i was wondering if confocal microscopy images would be allowed. its an optical microscope, basically a fancy camera for really high resolution images of small things.

As far as I'm concerned, if the photograph shows what you see - whether that be through a microscope, a telescope or a fuckin colonoscope, then that should be allowed. It's when the final image is so processed as to be unrecognisably different from the original, that I believe it should be in another category.

Last edited:
Letting Xorkoth resize is best unless he doesn't want to.

Or "upload to BL as attachment" only and then its max display will be something; judges will just have to visualeyeze (within-word-pun intended) each image to make sure it passes the rules.

Ban me bro.
Only if we can cuddle. Just 5 minutes. I just want to feel loved ?

What I've been doing since he upgrade to Xenforo (since you can drag to resize images, SO AWESOME), is copying the photo from the post, and pasting it in the first post under the person's name, and then resizing it so that they all appear the same relative size and are easily viewable. I used to have to use a graphics editor and do that and host them on my imgur but XF has made it so much easier.

Damn it's neck and neck! Who will pull into the lead?

I like this contest - a completely random selection of apples and oranges that appeal in all kinds of different ways depending on the mood :)