• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

The Smell of MDMA

Tantra, if you are in Melbourne, they are reasonable and fairly clean pills, IMO. I would give them an 8 and the comedown was mild.

Yes thanks for that JB.

There were quite a few misleading statements in Tantras quote

Sourced the following info on Safrole:

Smell
Safrole probably interacts with the same olfactory G-coupled receptors as the volatiles in the anise plant, and this makes sense insofar as some of the components in the oil of anise are structurally similar to safrole.

If you have experienced both, you'll know this is not so. There maybe (are bound to be in fact) some similarities with olfactory receptors and the two substances, but the binding is different. If not, you couldn't tell the difference. But you can, and it's easy.

Although Root Beer is no longer made with sassafras (sassafras ~85-90% safrole) it now uses a replacement which still smells like safrole (sorry -not telling :p). If that's not good enough, do as I said before and dig up an old camphor laurel tree root. Scrape off the bark and you'll not smell camphor, but you will smell safrole which has a very powerful and lingering odour. Spill a bottle of sassafras or safrole and the smell will likely be still noticeable in 6 months - no matter how you clean.

Once you have your source of safrole, then compare it to Ouzo, White Sambuca or similar. That smell is of Anethole - the aniseed smell

If you do this a couple of times, you'll pick the difference blindfolded.

It is accurately described as a candy-shop odour. Go into a place which sells more sugary things than chocolatey things and take a deep whiff. It is also reminiscent of ginger. It has been described as smelling like MDMA, anise, rootbeer, sassafras oil, MDA, mCPP or sodium lactate.

That too, is misleading. Yes the smell may be in a candy shop, but mixed with a thousand other powerful odours. Bad example.

It does NOT smell like ginger - not in the least IMO.

It smells like ROOTBEER and SASSAFRAS oil, so they got that right. The rest is utter rubbish

Halo-derivatives of
safrole are said to have similar smells to the parent molecule.

OK I'll give them that one....well sorta. Again, once you've smelled safrole, I reckon you'd pick bromosafrole as different. More subtle perhaps, but it would definitely appear different to an experienced nose.

Safrole is conspicuously absent from the Sigma-Aldrich Flavours and Fragrances catalog. Some useful derivatives of safrole (piperonal "sweet, floral", piperonyl acetate, "cherry, strawberry", piperonyl acetone and piperonyl isobutyrate "fruity, berry") are present, however.

THATS BECAUSE IT ISN"T PUT IN FOOD PRODUCTS ANY LONGER - It's a carcinogen (listed as anyway)

It IS in the general Sigma Catalogue:

Safrole: Page 1826 of the 2002-2003 Sigma Catalogue (Aust). The entry number is S 9652. It sells for just under $XXX for 500mL, - double what it often fetches on the black market. That's because the quality is better and you have a nice Sigma label on the bottle :\

Piperonyl acteone is not MD2P2, the precursor to MDXX drugs, in case anyone was wondering. But with some careful chemistry it could make MBDB.

Just one other thing: Safrole is on the international list of banned substances if used in essential oil preps or is contained in natural products over a certain percentage of total weight:

Here's what the IPRA (International Perfumery Research Association says about safrole:

Safrole, Isosafrole, Dihydrosafrole

Last Amendment July 01, 1987
First Issued October 01, 1976

CAS # Recommendation Skin Contact Non-Skin Contact
94-59-7/ 120-58-1/ 94-58-6 Restricted 0.01% 0.01%

Safrole as such should not be used as a fragrance ingredient; essential oils containing safrole should not be used at a level such that the total concentration of safrole exceeds 0.01% in consumer products. This is equivalent to 0.05% in a fragrance compound used at 20% in the consumer product. Examples of essential oils with a high safrole content are Sassafras oil (Sassafras officinale Nees& Eberm.), Ocotea Cymbarum oil (Ocotea pretiosa Metz) and certain qualities of Camphor oils.

The total concentration of safrole, isosafrole and dihydrosafrole should not exceed 0.01% in consumer products.

These recommendations are based on the conclusions of the Scientific Committee on Cosmetology of the EEC on safrole and on the similarity of the biological activity of these substances (Scientific Committee of Cosmetology of the EEC, opinion reached on September 2, 1980; Communication to the EEC Commission ENV/521/79 and IARC Monograph Vol. 10, 1976, 231-244).

From Here

So can we conclude that PURE MDMA does NOT smell like SAFROLE....can we please...huh? It gets into pills through poor lab practice, or contamination. Do the final amination and use a container which previously held safrole or isosafrole, and it will be there, often even if it was cleaned in-between. If the crystal MDMA is not washed with a non-polar solvent (dissolves safrole but not MDMA.HCl), safrole or isosafrole will be in the final product. And it will smell!!!

...and thats why I
24.gif
this place.

Personaly... the most stinky so called aniseed smelling pills that i've come accross have been totaly crap... I've found no relation between smell and quality... apart from the obvious, smell means impurities? Thats just from personal use... so......ye....

Personaly... the most stinky so called aniseed smelling pills that i've come accross have been totaly crap... I've found no relation between smell and quality... apart from the obvious, smell means impurities? Thats just from personal use... so......ye....
That's because some of those are likely to have safrole type chemicals deliberately added in an attempt to fool the tester. I've tasted sassafras before, and as Phase said you can smell and taste it a mile away - i've chewed a pill before that was ketamine in effects but tasted immediately of sassafras oil - i.e. mainly safrole.

MDP2P is another chemical potentially left over in from a MDMA reaction and that also would have some sort of powerful smell. Ketones are generally rather smelly chemicals particularly ones bearing phenyl functional groups.

MDP2P did have some use as a fragrance however I forget the exact nature of the application - possibly soaps. IT is certainly banned now though.

PMA= licorice, aniseed MBDB= toxic rubbery taste MDMA= bitter, cold on tongue

I have had many pills that taste of licorice with a strong smell of camphor, and they definatly did not contain PMxx. Any chance of a source were you aquired that information from Mal ?

thanks.

Thats from my personal experiences with a few pills that had the aniseed aroma, they tested negative to MDxx and made me have an NDE, which i assumed to be potent PMA, (alot circulating in south aust) but i am not 100% on that one.

funny that LOL

Yeh the best pill I had did have a smell but not that strong. HAHAHA

Kool now I know!

Now MDMA don't smell, but does all pure MDMA have a specific taste?

I know it's bitter, but is it VB bitter or Lemon Lime n Bitters Bitter, like is there anything that you can compare the taste to?

Thanx

^^ you can always contact a manufacturer. It's within your rights to ask and receive.

If you have no luck, you can always contact consumer affairs. Some people have nasty allergies to particular preservatives, flavours or colours. A person may be so sensitive that they need to know every ingredient in any new product before drinking, eating, placing on the skin, inhaling etc..

I was told of a company in Malaysia (which I checked out further) that supplied the replacement flavour . Whether the replacement flavour is supplied to Australia I don't know, but I'd bet someone or company somewhere makes root beer with it.

If you can get a hold of a food industry catalogue, or better, a flavours and fragrances catalogue, you'll see that many compounds listed can be used in drug manufacture, in particular, the multitude of starting materials obtained from essential oils and concentrated plant extracts.

As these industries will likely be the last available options for drug manufacturers wishing to invisibly obtain such chemicals, drugs like PMA are almost guaranteed to be around for some time to come.

Deformed_Neuron, if you do discover what you're after, please don't post it here. You seem to understand my reasons for not wishing to state such things here. Publicly announcing new sources for legally available precursors, starting materials or ingredients is hardly harm reduction, except perhaps for those intending to make their own [arguable]. But that type of general discussion is way outside the scope of Bluelight.

hey, anyone would know what i might have? i just tasted my pills to check when i read this thread. i cant really pick up a smelel cuz of a blocked nose but the taste is kind of bittersweet? i dare say kind of numbing.

crappybones said:
hey, anyone would know what i might have? i just tasted my pills to check when i read this thread. i cant really pick up a smelel cuz of a blocked nose but the taste is kind of bittersweet? i dare say kind of numbing.
With a blocked nose your sense of taste could be off too. Taste and smell generally aren't a reliable way to estimate the active ingredient in an ecstasy pill first hand - but to guess about the contents second-hand based on a post on the internet about what they taste like with a blocked nose... well... it's probably better just to get a pill tester.

BigTrancer :)

I am not in a good position or place to get one.... will explain f you could be bothered PMing me

Sorry, to drag up an old thread, but it does contain some very helpful info so thanks to all the contributors.

I am just wondering how to tell the difference between Safrole Oil and Isosafrole?

safrole smells like sassafras and is a colourless- slightly yellow liquid

isosafrole if pure will smell slightly more like anise and is usually stated as being a less yellow (more clear) solution than safrole. however, odour wise, any safrole present (even 1-2% ) will be likely to dominate.

Thanks for the info. Would Safrole be more viscious then Isasafrole? I am unable to tell the difference between sassafras and anise odours.

Edit: Removed unnecessary text; p_d

Last edited by a moderator:
Safrole and isosafrole are highly restricted and watched chemicals, and neither would be something you'd want to be caught with. My experience with these chems was during an authorised university project some years ago. Since then, I've never had any cause to be around them again.

Please remember that possession of either, or even knowledge of possession could land a person/s in very serious trouble as neither is used for much else except the obvious. As such, I've edited your above post.