• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

On oxy and pregnant, PLEASE HELP!!

Lildevil428

Greenlighter
Hi all I recently just found out I'm pregnant and my husband and I really want to have this baby and want to make sure we're quitting the right way for this baby to be born and need EVERYONES help ! Here's my story....

I've been addicted to oxy for about 2 years now been doing about 60mg-120mg a day. Recently I found out I'm 3-4 months pregnant but won't be able to go see a doctor til Tuesday and Wednesday. But also am looking for people that's going through it and have been through it for advice! Anything anyone can contribute to will be AMAZING!

I've done a lil bit of research online and many people say that it's incredibly dangerous to quit cold turkey while pregnant. What should I do? Should I do a taper plan? And if so how long should I taper for and to before I jump? Or should I just start on a quick suboxone detox for 4-5 days plan (which I've done before to quit oxys) and how dangerous are each of these plans?

I've also heard of expectant mothers who just continue to use until they deliver even after delivery to keep the baby from withdrawing.

Please I really really need everyone's help! M very worried and scared and can't talk to a doctor right away!

Do *not* do a suboxone taper. It is not recommended while pregnant

Best thing to do is maintain until you can see your doctor. More than likely they will either keep you on oxy while raising dose to allow for baby as he/she grows, or else put you on methadone until after the birth (that is the most common thing for pregnant women who are opiate dependent). It is easy to keep at a certain level, and easy to wean off you and the baby after birth

Withdrawals are very dangerous for an unborn child so I highly recommend you not try to detox prior to talking to your doctor. You don't want to put the baby in distress. Stay as level on dose as you possibly can until you see the doctor. I know you're tempted to try and get off before seeing doctor but that is *not safe* for the baby. Best thing you can do is stay on a level dose, no more and no less than you need , until your appointment

If the doctor puts you on methadone they will stabilize you then raise dose as your child grows and "takes" more of your dose
Really important not to use other than what they stabilize you on. You definitely don't want the up and down affecting the baby

Good luck to you, one of my good friends went through pregnancy while opioid dependent. All was good. You just have to do what they tell you and get rid of the idea of getting "high" while pregnant. At this point it's about maintaining a safe prenatal environment

But I responded to you mostly to tell you do not take the suboxone, it's not recommended for pregnant women and you could really harm your baby.

Oh, and congratulations!

Calm down<3..

Your fine..

Talk with the Dr at the appointment. I am not a MD but if they recommend methadone I would get a secound opinion.

You and your child will be fine. Just be honest and find a medical profesional that really knows what's up with this.

crzydiamond said:
But I responded to you mostly to tell you do not take the suboxone, it's not recommended for pregnant women and you could really harm your baby.

Buprenorphine is contradicted during pregnancy and methadone is preferred? This is the first time I'm reading such a thing, methadone with its NMDA antagonism is certainly not better than buprenorphine during pregnancy. Do you have any source for this? As far as I know it's the other way around and buprenorphine is actually preferred over methadone. I suppose both methadone and buprenorphine might be worse than a short-acting opioid to withdraw from for a child after birth, but I'm not sure if there is anything to gain if you stay on oxycodone as opposed to switching to bupe, also getting off opioids while pregnant is not a good idea unless supervised.

link 1
link 2

I'm sure there are scientific papers that back this up, but I don't have time to dig them up right now. Anyway, methadone is certainly not safer for a child than buprenorphine, no way.

EDIT:
I'm not sure if there is anything to gain if you stay on oxycodone as opposed to switching to bupe

Haven't thought about sudden increases and drops of concentration of the opioid you take, if you take that into consideration, buprenorphine has an advantage over short-acting opioids.

Last edited:
So adder,
You think it'd be better for me to just switch to suboxone rather then just taper off the oxy? I really don't want to put my baby through anymore then it needs to I just want to have a healthy baby... I'm just so stressed out and I still have 2 more day before I get to see any doctors...

I have an appointment with a primary care doctor tomorrow and then a obgyn on Wednesday! Luckily I was able to make appointments for this week and on my days off.

Has anyone else been through this or is going through it?!

Calm down<3..

Your fine..

Talk with the Dr at the appointment. I am not a MD but if they recommend methadone I would get a secound opinion.

You and your child will be fine. Just be honest and find a medical profesional that really knows what's up with this.

Yep.

I've also heard that Suboxone is not the recommended treatment therapy for pregnant woman with opioid addiction. I've known a few girls that got pregnant while strung out on heroin, they were all put on methadone. If they are prescribed Buprenorphine, it's usually Subutext, I've been told and have read that the naloxone can cause problems, which is weird since it's a 4:1 ratio and has a lower binding affinity, but w/e-most people would prefer Subutext anyway. From what I understand on the topic (keep in mind I am not a pregnant woman, or a woman at all, nor have I (hopefully) ever impregnated anyone) you don't want to CT while pregnant as that can cause distress with the child.

I read through this article, actually I skimmed it, but you might find it interesting. From what I got out of it, the two therapies are both adequate. Obviously consulting a doctor is the best thing you can do, just make sure that regardless of what ORT you choose, just don't go on too high of a dose, as your habit isn't that big. I mean, and really, I feel kind of weird giving any advice about this at all, but I guess just make sure your comfortable but at the same not being over-medicated.

On the bright side I can tell you that one of my friends' baby who was conceived while the mother was on methadone showed absolutely no signs of withdrawal, and is a perfect, great kid. So yeah, don't worry too much, just make sure to talk to a few doctors and choose what seems best to you. I really wish you the best.

Buprenorphine is contradicted during pregnancy and methadone is preferred? This is the first time I'm reading such a thing, methadone with its NMDA antagonism is certainly not better than buprenorphine during pregnancy. Do you have any source for this? As far as I know it's the other way around and buprenorphine is actually preferred over methadone. I suppose both methadone and buprenorphine might be worse than a short-acting opioid to withdraw from for a child after birth, but I'm not sure if there is anything to gain if you stay on oxycodone as opposed to switching to bupe, also getting off opioids while pregnant is not a good idea unless supervised.

link 1
link 2

I'm sure there are scientific papers that back this up, but I don't have time to dig them up right now. Anyway, methadone is certainly not safer for a child than buprenorphine, no way.

EDIT:

Haven't thought about sudden increases and drops of concentration of the opioid you take, if you take that into consideration, buprenorphine has an advantage over short-acting opioids.

I didn't say buprenorphine was contra-indicted. I said suboxone. Which as znegative also mentioned is usually not given to pregnant women. I understand subutex can be, but it isn't really the idea of being in a maintenance program on bupe that I was speaking out about. OP wanted to do a suboxone TAPER, which is not a good idea done on her own not under a physician's care, because usually opiate dependent patients are not recommended to detox while pregnant. Especially on a 2 yr habit

Now, a clinic I attend that prescribes both suboxone and methadone does usually prefer to put pregnant patients on methadone. That has actually been the standard treatment for years. I am aware within the last few years subutex was approved for maintenance of pregnant patient. But she wasn't asking about getting on a maintenance plan. She was asking about a suboxone detox which could be very harmful to the unborn baby which is why I said do not do it

I understand where you're coming from, and rereading my post I do see how it could have been taken as bupe isn't safe but that's not what I was trying to say

OP hopefully you have seen the doctor, but if you haven't just don't try to detox yourself. Stay at a steady dose like I said, until they can get you into maintenance.

If you're 'scripted the oxy, continue taking it, and they will ween the baby off, once its born. Be careful of breast feeding while on meds, they can be transferred to the baby. But ultimately, listen to your doc

Good luck, congratulations, Hopeless 7nos

Naloxone is contraindicated while pregnant. Buprenorphine is not. If going the Bupe route one would want to only obtain a Bupe only medication. I agree if some doctor wants to put you on methadone a second medical opinion might be wise if you are only using oxy. Methadone is usually the gold standard for ORT while pregnant.

Tell your doctor your pregnant and dependant on what you are and fear instability for the babies health... I doubt they will give you oxy, but at least they will stabilize you and keep you stable until the baby is born where at that point you choose what to do although I assume the Dr would want you to quit using while the baby will be weened off with morphine under observation, which is safe vs the danger of withdrawing in the womb. You don't want a miscarriage.

before bupe was developed the gold standard for opiate dependent women was methadone. i am attending a community rehab facility and the residential facility has 7 out of the 12 women are actually pregnant and each one was put on subutext.

it's ultimately going to be up to your doctors but it's very important that you're 100% honest with them IF you're getting the opiates off the streets. they need to know exactly how much and exactly what you're taking daily. if you're prescribed them, then your prescribing doctor will work with your pregnant doctor in the best interest of you and your baby.

good luck and keep us updated. thanks

Hi everyone I've just read everyone's post! One of my doctors cancelled on me yesterday but I am seeing an obgyn this morning! I'm very nervous as I don't know how far along I am and what "damaged" has been done to the baby... I want NOTHING MORE then to have a healthy baby... I've been trying to maintain a low dose the lowest I can keep not to go into withdrawals.

Seems like a lot of people are suggesting the subutex route... I'm currently getting the Oxys off the streets they are not prescribed to me. If my doctor does suggest methodone is that going to be better then subutex?

I can't really express to everyone how greatly appreciated I am with EVERYONE coming and talking to me..,, I've been up since 4 this morning extremely nervous about the obgyn

Hello everyone just a quick update!

Went to the obgyn today and they gave me an ultrasound, blood tests and a lot of info. My baby is currently 15 weeks old! Healthy baby with a strong heart beat and arm legs, hands and feet!

Great news is the doctor said oxy doesn't cause in birth defects but also recommended me to reach out to a suboxone doctor who specializes in this...

Thank u for everyone who came and supported me and talked to me through everything... I'm still not in the clear until the baby is born but this absolutely gives me hope!

I read about this a few weeks ago.

Tapering off opiates is possible while pregnant but I believe only in second trimester. For some reason, baby is more sensitive to changes like this near the beginning and end of pregnancy.

Whether you decide to taper or continue, I'd advise to do under supervision of a doctor. A taper would probably be best done with a long acting med so baby doesn't get wildly fluctuating levels of drug in their system.

If baby is born dependent on opiates, they usually do a taper with baby (dose the baby on opiates to get rid of some of the effects of WD in babies like constant shaking and crying)

I'd advise you to be very honest with your doc.

Suboxone stays in the system a long time.... Try seeking a chemicals dependancy treatment program and ask about ORT (opiate replacement treatment) with either suboxone or methadone. Keep us updated too!