• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: smh.com.au- April 14, 2008 - 3:10PM"Plan for painkillers to be on script only"

I'll be happy just as long as they don't ban my personal favorite - Chemist's Own™ brand of pain killers (10mg codeine/500mg paracetamol). Man, I love codeine. It's my favorite legal high, more so than alcohol. ;)

This is the kinda thing that makes people switch to stuff like Heroin.

djsim said:
Someone I know at work is on the TGA advisory board.
Apparently the next meeting is on Oct 18th. They are discussing putting a ban on Nurofen Plus sizes 24 and up (ie only allowing 12 packs of Nurofen Plus to stay S2).
So quite possible, we only have one more week of easy access Nurofen Plus.

who cares, there are soooo many diff codiene mixture tablets on the market. plus nurofen plus dosent even crush into a fine powder anymore, it has that binding shit in it. ur better of gettin panamax 100, 100tablets, 10mg codiene, 500mg paracetamol

ok im pretty sure they stopped selling the 100 pack wit codiene, but yer plenty other brands for the pickin

ill stick wit my valium, xanax n kpins

I agree re: Chemist Own Pain tabs. Those things are the best cos they have absolutely no binder. I used to do a CWE on em in less than 5 minutes!

But yeh, go to TGA website and look under gazettes. Under some of the back issues it becomes evident that the following have become known to the TGA:
1. a codeine addict notified the TGA that the Nurofen Plus tablets were splittable (ie you could split the tabs lenthwise and the half of the tab without the n+ contained codeine only)
2. TGA has found that the tablets can be "extracted using just water". Of course this is the CWE they are referring to.
This being said, Nurofen Plus are known in pharmacy circles as being more subject to abuse. IMO/IME this is because the ibuprofen irritates the stomach and allows more codeine to be absorbed through the bleeding stomach, and the blood is thinned, so I believe there is some synergy here. Also, the painkilling actions of ibuprofen are more synergistic than paracetemol IMO.
So basically, the fact that some chains of pharmacy don't have stringent controls on the tablets means that these tablets are the scape goats. I mean, the Panadeine 15s are heavily watched, but the Nurofen Plus aren't, despite having 12.8mg codeine per tablet. So bringing the packsizes down to 12 (like Panadeine 15) seems likely. Also, Panadeine is only 8mg codeine per tab. But the Chemist Own brands (with 10mg or 9.8mg) are generally overlooked, so the difference between Panadeine brand and Nurofen Plus is more than 50% codeine (8mg vs 12.8mg). So IMO, the Panafen Plus and generics are well overdue for regulation.

barclayton said:
this is rubbish, im positive they dont meet on saturday's

you're right. The meeting is tomorrow (Oct 14th - Oct 16th)

"Notice under Regulation 42ZCU of the Therapeutic Goods Regulations 1990
The Chair of the National Drugs and Poisons Schedule Committee (NDPSC) hereby gives notice that
the next scheduling meeting of the NDPSC will be held on 14-16 October 2008. Substances to be
considered for scheduling by the NDPSC are open for public comment."|

from g0810pre.pdf

Thankfully this doesnt affect me because codeine is useless to me with the tolerance I have, I feel sorry for you lot coz when codeine did work it was my one stress reliever that I knew was always available.

They arent banning panadeine and im guessing people will just switch to that, I never liked panadeine though because I always got paranoid that the APAP wasnt sufficiently removed from the solution.

I think Internet forums have probably provoked the ban coz you dont see much about it in newspapers and it doesnt seem like a huge threat to society. Why isnt DXM banned? I would have thought DXM would have been banned long before N+ is.

Regarding ibuprofen, it was concluded that it was very easily separated from codeine
by dissolution in water at room temperature, with only 10 per cent of the ibuprofen
dissolving compared with approximately 90 per cent of the codeine. It was noted that
this difference in dissolution profiles could further be manipulated by lowering the
pH of the dissolution medium as ibuprofen has a very low solubility below pH 6.

Thanks for the tip TGA, guess I'll be adding in some lemon juice next time.

Mr. White said:
8o Not my precious codeine!!

I hate living in a nanny state

Well it's back to herion! lol
Fuck off leave our codeine alone people are always gonig to be able to abuse some drug. Hey government what you care for...? oh you want to make money of this then its ok. righteeeo

Yeah the TGA are real motherfuckers aren't they? Big fucking whoop, the paracetamol and the ibuprofen probably do more long term damage then the codeine element of the tablets under question in this thread, correct me if I'm wrong...

Also, the TGA don't know shit about getting in new medicines. Whether it be Desoxyn from the American FDA's approval for ADHD, or whether it be a radical new treatment in the fight against prostate cancer, the old fuckers at the TGA need to turn up to work each day and rather than conduct there own shitty trials, go by the more comprehensive clinical trials that other countries have already completed and evaluated medicines for specific purposes i.e. EU Guideline or whatever, they've got Lyrica, the first not a benzo, for anxiety disorder treatment, so has the UK.

tadfish, there's little difference between the codeine and heroin reasons for use. People use heroin because they have mental health problems, like to get high or have just become addicted and can't stop even though Australia has many ways to ease the withdrawal process, advancements from say 30 years ago where the average junkie would have to spend a grueling 10-14 days in pain, screaming and shitting all over the place. Sneaky cats have realised the potential for loperamide and clonidine for a 'discrete' way of coming off heroin, others who don't care about the social stigma of being a ex-junkie waiting in line for his Methadone and/or Subutex each morning.

A bit off topic....Fuck the TGA.

^ Desoxyn, as in d-methamphetamine?

It's schedule VIII here in Australia, meaning it can be Rx'd, it just doesn't get Rx'd often/at all. djsim probably knows more about this then I do.

On the others though, the TGA does seem to be way behind. :\

How would one go about getting scripted Desoxyn as an alternative to Dexamphetamine? Been on the D5's for 4-5 years, 30mg a day, don't abuse them otherwise I go psychotic! I'm guessing you're going to say Clinical Trials or something...look at the TGA website or something.

^ We can't tell you how to get Rx'd a certain medication.

It's probably near-impossible to get put on them, it's one of those things that could be Rx'd but in practice just isn't.