• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: Rave party team defies drug test ban

Not a stupid question at all. Very thoughtful. I think basically honesty is the best approach. a lot of people are very angry at Christopher's performance and a flood of angry emails hit Triple J straight afterwards. If you are angry, let him know, but offering suggestions and solutions may go over better.

I think it is simply vital that they are made aware that this is an issue that people do think long and hard about, and that it will certainly influence who they are going to vote for.

Enlighten released this statement to the media today:

Pill overdoses in South Australia were preventable.

AAP reports that "A mystery green tablet has been blamed for a number of drug overdoses at an outdoor rave party in Adelaide" this weekend.

The group best placed to solve that mystery, and possibly prevent the overdoses from happening, were in attendance at this event (the Summer Enchanted rave) but were prevented from performing their duties.

Enlighten Harm Reduction, a Melbourne based research and peer education group, had traveled to Adelaide to offer their pill testing services but were warned by the South Australian Police that if any pill testing took place, those testing would be arrested. This warning came after the Parliamentary Secretary for Health, Christopher Pyne, demanded to know why the group had not been arrested after carrying out pill testing at the earlier Winter Enchanted rave.

"We chose to respect the wishes of the South Australian Police in this instance, although we were disappointed that it had reached this stage" said founding member Johnboy Davidson, "but it is now doubly disappointing, knowing that our actions could have prevented these overdoses."

Enlighten's pill testing services could have identified a potentially harmful substance early in the event, before the pills had been consumed. The substance could have been identified and a warning issued both on site and on the internet. If, however, the first overdose could not have been prevented, subsequent ones would have been less likely, and the treatment of the victims would have been made easier for the ambulance staff if the substance had been identified quickly on site.

Enlighten was planning to debut the Ion Mobility Scan system at Summer Enchanted, a highly accurate and portable testing system that is used in every airport in Australia to detect narcotics and explosives, and which would have allowed identification of a wide range of substances in a matter of seconds. Unfortunately there has been hesitance to allow this type of equipment to be sold to groups that do not have full government backing.

"It is a maddening catch-22" Mr. Davidson said. "The government has always used the lack of accuracy of our tests to attack us. Yet now that we have identified a solution to this, the government is doing nothing to facilitate the trial of this potentially life saving technology. Our new protocol also addresses one other major objection that the government has had; the handing back of pills. With this new system we will never be in possession of the illegal substances. “

Enlighten has had to operate outside of the law because the federal government has closed any opportunity for a legal exploration of these issues.

The Ministerial Committee on Drug Strategy in its May 2005 communiqué said that:

"…they could not endorse the development or use of drug testing kits for personal use in the light of the lack of evidence that they will lead to any net reduction in the harm caused by drugs."

This runs counter to the results of the only study done on legal pill testing by Dr Dirk Korf, which states that:

"The availability of pill-testing services influences ecstasy users to reduce their consumption of the drug. It does not stimulate young people to start taking ecstasy. Information about the risk of the drug is accepted by users as more credible when it is provided as part of a testing program."

On Thursday's "Hack" program on Triple J the Parliamentary Secretary for Health, Christopher Pyne, when asked what research had led to the MCDS’s decision said "I don't need any research". His own department's paper of May 2004, entitled “The Prevention of Substance Use Risk And Harm in Australia”, said:

“There is a need for more research and evaluation studies on the entire range of effects of on-site pill testing interventions.”

A Special Working Group was formed and presented their findings to the May 2005 MCDS meeting. This group’s report has never been released publicly and Freedom of Information requests have been consistently denied.

"What exactly are they hiding?" asked Mr. Davidson. 'When I first enquired I was told that no documentation of these meetings, whether written or electronic, was kept. Then my FOI request was met with the admission that there was documentation but that its release would cause 'damage to the relationship between the Federal Government and the States'. Could that state have been South Australia? Will we ever know? It is depressing to think that this government believes that public health issues can be decided behind closed doors, with secret evidence and no public review."

“This government is putting lives at stake, simply so that it can appear ‘tough on drugs’. Christopher Pyne has a responsibility to put facts before ideology and do everything that he can to ensure that harm is reduced and young lives are protected. We cannot sit on our hands and wait for zero tolerance to make casualties of young Australians.”

For more information please contact:

Johnboy Davidson
Founding Member and Spokesperson
Enlighten Harm Reduction
[email protected]
www.enlighten.org.au and www.pillreports.com
Mobile: +61417351021 or 0417351021 inside AU

wow, wikkid to read about the stance taken by enlighten bout EF... i live in adelaide, didnt go to the rave this year but its so disheartening that punters are so ignorant about what they are taking (cause and effects!!) and will take whatever they can to get their rocks off...!!! i am sure a lot of people dont even know about pillreports or bluelight, but i will endeavour to get the word out...

anyways, with the governments tuff stance on harm minimisation, its going to be an uphill battle! and i cant get over the comments from the latest enchanted forest about the presence of cops on site (first time ever!!).. afaik, the cops were there cause the government was making a point, much like at big day out or something...a few people had pills taken from them, but the only time cops got heavy was with the booze bus they set up outside the event and nabbed a few people... but people at raveadelaide.com.au are saying its the boys in blue that were against pill testing, etc, without realising its the government's stance, and its people like chris pynte who dont care bout their welfare.

*shakes head* ignorance is bliss i guess!

Good old PIGS. Don't let pill tetsing occur and then lets not disclose the dangerous pill's details at all besdies saying it is green...

Cops sure do care about safety don't they.

The press release presents a compelling argument. I'm very sorry to hear about the medical emergencies presenting at the festival.

BT :)

what were these green pills? they weren't the mitsis were they? Anyone heard? im also sorry to hear about the problems and wonder if the testing was allowed would it have stopped some of these people having to goto hospital, or get medical assistance? ..I know if i had a pill, or had a friend have one tested at a festival or party that was considered to be 'unknown substance' or dangerous from reagents or ion scanning that i wouldn't personally want anything to do with it... I just got in, and haven't read the media reports too well, so sorry if ive missed something...

meh. the story is already mutating. notice the mystery drug (which will probably be something very banal) is now being Capitalised...

Drugs overdose ends three partygoers' rave
By MATT WILLIAMS

THREE partygoers overdosed on the designer drug Fantasy and a new drug to the Adelaide party scene, the Green Pill, at the Enchanted 2005 rave event at Port Gawler.

The weekend event, which attracted about 8000, finished at 7am yesterday with organisers pleased overall with revellers' behaviour.

The three people who were taken to hospital after collapsing were last night in a "satisfactory" condition.

Research fellow at the Royal Adelaide Hospital Dr David Caldicott, who independently volunteered to attend the rave, said new pills often debut at Enchanted as it is the first official event for summer.

He said no one knows why two people overdosed on the Green Pill.

"I've got no idea what (the pill) is because we didn't do any pill testing," he said. "I hope I don't find out by (performing a) post-mortem.

"The most serious overdose was after taking Gamma Hydroxybutyrate (GHB), or Fantasy, which supports our position it's a very dangerous substance and people should not be dabbling with it."

Those who attended the rave were subjected to security checks at the entrance, with officers checking the boots and interiors of cars for any alcohol and drugs.

Despite the significant presence of guards, contracted by Weslo Security, The Advertiser did not see any individuals being searched for drugs as they entered.

Some revellers said it was "quite easy" to take drugs into the party.

"We've only got a couple of pills on us but we didn't even get checked," one reveller said.

http://www.theadvertiser.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,17459665%5E2682,00.html

jb - :(

I hate that such a fiercely competent HR advocate constantly gets shat on by the media.

...will edit a cogent response to the aforementioned, in the morning.

Pyne's ignorance and neglection towards the drug scene sickens me. Its extremely disappointing to think that I could have gotten my pills tested with 100% accuracy, if only the state government hadn't spoken against it. I strongly believe in the importance of pill testing, and though I havn't made use of enlightens testing at the previous enchanted raves (as I have my own kit anyway) many of my friends have, and in cases of non-mdxx pills they have discarded them. If the ion scanner was available, im sure even more pills wouldn't be consumed. Personally speaking if I knew a pill contained any mdea, mda and/or caffeine I would choose not to consume it. With the state election coming up, hopefully we'll see some changes (in a good way) of the state governments stance on pill testing.

Last edited:
Shat on? Im loving it. Most of the media has been great. It's just the politicians that have a lot of catching up to do. This is from Hansard from last night's debate in the House:

Mr Pyne: The second area I want to highlight to the House with respect to messages to young people is the campaign by a group called Enlightened Harm Reduction from Melbourne, from the Speaker's own state, which seeks to test pills at so-called rave parties for young people. Many of these people are perhaps well intentioned, but the message they are sending to young people in testing pills and giving them back to partygoers is: 'This drug will not do you damage. We have tested it and it is safe.' The message from the government, of course, is that none of these synthetic drugs is safe. You cannot be sure what is in a synthetic drug. No pill-testing kit can ascertain every aspect of a pill, because they are constantly changing. These pills have the capacity to do you tremendous damage. At a rave party on the weekend in South Australia called the Enchanted rave party four of the patrons overdosed on synthetic drugs. The message should have been clear to them: if you take synthetic drugs, you do not know what is in them and you could do yourself dramatic damage.

The group Enlightened Harm Reduction are sending the wrong message to young people that the pills they are taking can be safe and that they can test them to make sure that they are safe. It is dangerous. I would have thought that they have established a duty of care with a person they take a pill from and test and give back to that person. They are putting themselves in tremendous danger if that person suffers some adverse reaction or even dies. I am sure my honourable friend opposite, the member for Barton, who was a solicitor before entering this place, as I was, would advise clients not to do such an action. (Time expired)

And a lot more is happening behind the scenes. Crazy times.

Don't worry Aunty, JB's political penis is getting rubbed the right way and he's got a hardon for this sort of thing.

We made Hansard, guess it had to happen one day :)

Well the shite is going to hit airconditioners tomorrow. Look out for quite a few news stories...

i swear i overhear some random talking claiming to have xxx amount of green barrels on him. i wonder if they were the ones...

johnboy said:
Well the shite is going to hit airconditioners tomorrow. Look out for quite a few news stories...

Looking forward to reading more about the 'enlightened' ones ;)

Good work guys!

NEWS: Three overdose at rave

Three overdose at rave
December 05, 2005

Three partygoers have overdosed on drugs at an Adelaide dance party / file THREE partygoers overdosed on the designer drug Fantasy and a new drug to the Adelaide party scene, the Green Pill, at the Enchanted 2005 rave event at Port Gawler, South Australia.

The weekend event, which attracted about 8000, finished at 7am yesterday with organisers pleased overall with revellers' behaviour.
The three people who were taken to hospital after collapsing were last night in a "satisfactory" condition.

Research fellow at the Royal Adelaide Hospital Dr David Caldicott, who independently volunteered to attend the rave, said new pills often debut at Enchanted as it is the first official event for summer.

He said no one knows why two people overdosed on the Green Pill. "I've got no idea what (the pill) is because we didn't do any pill testing," he said. "I hope I don't find out by (performing a) post-mortem.

"The most serious overdose was after taking Gamma Hydroxybutyrate (GHB), or Fantasy, which supports our position it's a very dangerous substance and people should not be dabbling with it."

Advertisement:
Those who attended the rave were subjected to security checks at the entrance, with officers checking the boots and interiors of cars for any alcohol and drugs.
Despite the significant presence of guards, contracted by Weslo Security, The Advertiser did not see any individuals being searched for drugs as they entered.

Some revellers said it was "quite easy" to take drugs into the party. " We've only got a couple of pills on us but we didn't even get checked," one reveller said.

taken from here
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,17459664-1246,00.html

Also...

Mystery tablet blamed for overdoses
December 04, 2005

A MYSTERY green tablet has been blamed for a number of drug overdoses at an outdoor rave party in Adelaide.

The unknown designer drug is believed to have been taken by four overdose victims at the all-night Summer Enchanted Rave, held at Port Gawler, which attracted more than 5000 people overnight.
Royal Adelaide Hospital drug researcher Dr David Caldicott, who attended the rave, said green tablets were seized by authorities after the overdoses.

"I've go not idea what's in (the green pill); we really need to find out more," Dr Caldicott told AAP.

"It's even more alarming that one of the females that overdosed only took half a tablet."

SA Ambulance spokesman Lee Francis said medical crews treated the four victims at the scene before they were taken to hospital at various intervals during the night. No-one died as a result of taking the tablets.

Advertisement:
Dr Caldicott, convenor of OzTox Collaboration independent research group, works closely with Melbourne-based Enlighten Harm Reduction into designer drug use. Both agencies promote harm reduction techniques among users of the drug ecstasy and fantasy and researchers regularly attend rave parties.
"Parents need to ask themselves: do they want to know what (their) kids are taking or do they want to find out at autopsy," Dr Caldicott said.

"We're not endorsing pill use, but the reality is that unless we find out what they are taking, we'll never save lives."

From his observation at the rave party, Dr Caldicott said there was quite a lot of fantasy being consumed by revellers.

"Fantasy is a very unpleasant drug and there is a real risk of severe injury and death," he said.

In Australia, fantasy is commonly used as a liquid drug that contains Gamma Hydroxy Butyrate (GHB) that is "a very nasty drug and no one is safe from using it".

The rave was held on a 400 hectare property north of Adelaide that is used for off-road racing.

"The rave was noisy with lots of lights, they were all dancing away next to the beach," a spokeswoman from Port Gawler Off Road Hire Park told AAP.

To ensure the safety of revellers, SA Police, Ambulance and the Red Cross met with event organisers to prepare a safety plan.

Mr Francis said considering the number of people who attended the event, the result was "not too bad at all".

"While it's not ideal for them (victims), it turned out as well as could be hoped," he said.

SA Police said tablets were seized, but would not comment on the pills involved.

taken from here
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,17457578-1246,00.html

one more...

Four treated for overdoses at rave
December 04, 2005

FOUR people are recovering in hospital after overdosing on designer drugs at an outdoor rave party in Adelaide's northern suburbs.

The overdoses occurred at the all-night Summer Enchanted party, held at Port Gawler, which attracted more than 5,000 young people, police said.
SA Ambulance spokesman Lee Francis said medical crews treated the four victims at the scene before they were taken to hospital at various intervals during the night.

"The first overdose occurred about midnight and that person was taken to the nearby Lyell McEwan hospital," Mr Francis said.

He said the other drug overdoses happened about 2am, 5am and 9am. The rave party finished at 7am this morning.

"I don't have details about the ages or gender of the people, however one was female," Mr Francis said.

Advertisement:
To ensure the safety of revellers, SA Police, Ambulance and the Red Cross met with event organisers to prepare a safety plan.
Mr Francis said considering the number of people who attended the event, the result was "not too bad at all".

"While it's not ideal for them (victims), it turned out as well as could be hoped," he said.

During the rave party, police sniffer dogs were used to patrol the area and signs were erected warning ravers about the presence of the dogs.

Workers from the State Government also distributed free condoms to revellers to promote the message of safe sex.

taken from here
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,17456476-1246,00.html

Mystery green pill??? most likely a green mitz, any SA bluelighters who went to Enchanted know what logo it might have been? These storys sound like a good excuse to let enlighten do their work and let them test pills at raves, maybe this might not have happened?

Last edited:
I bet the four overdoses which the green pills got blamed for were actually the people who had the GHB