• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Lysergamides [LSD Subthread] SSRI Interactions

How did SSRI's and LSD interact for you? (not counting other drugs in mixes!)

• No significant interactions.

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • There was interaction but no negative affect.

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • The combination affected the trip negatively.

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • The combination affected the effectivity of the SSRI.

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters

StratMan172

Bluelighter
SSRI's (celexa) and LSD

Taken from the 'Recreational Drugs and Anti-Depressants' Drug FAQ:

These drugs [psychedelics] can be safely combined with the SSRIs. Most people report that they need to take MORE of a hallucinogen to get normal effects. Thus, if you are taking an SSRI, you will probably need more of the drug to reach threshold effects. Some people find that they need to take more LSD, but that shrooms affect them normally. So be careful to start at a normal dose and only take more if you find that you need to.
NOTE: Do not take 'ayahuasca' while on an SSRI. Do not combine SSRIs with any kind of MAOI, such as harmaline.

[original post:]

I've been prescribed celexa for about 2 years now but never took it daily like I was supposed to until just last month. It's clearly helped with my depression and Im beginning to believe its helping with my addictive personality immensely. I used to not be able to control myself with my dexedrine and pot and pretty much anything else and now I have much more control.

anyways back to topic...

I recently got a good hook on some great acid and both times I tripped, the duration was about 7 hours max and then the trip would go from tripping to not tripping in about 30 minutes yet I'd still be reasonably intoxicated.

I was curious if anyone else has noticed that the trip seems to end a lot quicker than normal? The effects are a little weaker but not much. It's definitley a plus for me because its usually at the 6 or 7 hour mark of the trip that it begins to feel drawn out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, SSRIs are well-known to interact with psychedelics. The way they interact seems dependent upon the individual and probably partially upon which SSRI it is you're taking. Some report that SSRIs do not change the trip much, while some report that it's impossible to trip. Most seem to report somewhere in the middle. There are a lot of threads on this topic. We have a Big and Dandy Medications Interaction thread for discussion of this sort of thing.

Effect of SSRIs on an LSD trip

I have read the thread on here about the effects of anti-depressants on recreational drugs but I need some more specifics about the combination of LSD and SSRIs.

To what extent is the effect of LSD lowered when taken while undergoing SSRI treatment? And if the SSRIs have a major impact on the intensity of an LSD trip, how long should one wait from their last dose of the SSRI to take LSD? Would three full weeks be enough? If it makes any difference, the SSRI in question is Lexapro.

Thanks in advance.

In general, it pretty much makes it so you don't trip at all. It depends on the person, I imagine, but most people have a reduced trip/don't trip at all. (though I think someone on BL mentioned that it makes no difference for them...)

When I was on antidepressants, I took a 3 day break and I was fine... but I only took them for 2 or 3 months, so I'm not sure if that makes a difference. Three full weeks would certainly be enough, but if you don't feel comfortable not taking them... don't stop for that long.

As much as I love tripping, mental health is supposed to be first. :) Don't put yourself at risk, and have fun!

for me it reduced the effects of acid by 50-80 percent, and also changed the tone of it.

In general, it pretty much makes it so you don't trip at all. It depends on the person, I imagine, but most people have a reduced trip/don't trip at all. (though I think someone on BL mentioned that it makes no difference for them...)

When I was on antidepressants, I took a 3 day break and I was fine... but I only took them for 2 or 3 months, so I'm not sure if that makes a difference. Three full weeks would certainly be enough, but if you don't feel comfortable not taking them... don't stop for that long.

As much as I love tripping, mental health is supposed to be first. :) Don't put yourself at risk, and have fun!

I am going off the meds regardless of tripping potential; I was tapering down before I even crossed paths with LSD once again. I'm not stopping the SSRI treatment solely for the purpose of tripping, I am simply wishing to take advantage of my newly SSRI-free state and get down to some soul-moulding. Thanks for the concern though.

I've only been on the SSRIs for six months as well, so I'm sure the three week wait will make it a trip well worth taking.

Thanks to everyone for the quick answers.

I am going off the meds regardless of tripping potential; I was tapering down before I even crossed paths with LSD once again. I'm not stopping the SSRI treatment solely for the purpose of tripping, I am simply wishing to take advantage of my newly SSRI-free state and get down to some soul-moulding. Thanks for the concern though.

I've only been on the SSRIs for six months as well, so I'm sure the three week wait will make it a trip well worth taking.

Thanks to everyone for the quick answers.

Is your doctor tapering you down for some reason, or are you deciding to do so on your own so you can trip? If it is the latter I would strongly urge you to reconsider; it is not safe to mess around with your medications like that on your own or to put your mental health at risk to use a substance. Just my two cents.

Is your doctor tapering you down for some reason, or are you deciding to do so on your own so you can trip? If it is the latter I would strongly urge you to reconsider; it is not safe to mess around with your medications like that on your own or to put your mental health at risk to use a substance. Just my two cents.

I am tapering off Lexapro with the help of my doctor, as my depression symptoms for which I was put on the SSRI have lessened, and I had begun feeling adverse side effects from the medication. I was going off the medication anyway, and I was wondering how soon after I discontinued the treatment I would be able to use LSD.

Again, thanks for the concern, but I put my psychological well-being before my psychonautics.

Be safe. <3

I am tapering off Lexapro with the help of my doctor, as my depression symptoms for which I was put on the SSRI have lessened, and I had begun feeling adverse side effects from the medication. I was going off the medication anyway, and I was wondering how soon after I discontinued the treatment I would be able to use LSD.

Again, thanks for the concern, but I put my psychological well-being before my psychonautics.

Be safe. <3

I was just making sure. I live with bipolar disorder and I know how terrible depression can get. Just play it safe %) And do let us know how the trip goes.

I've only taken LSD on zoloft. It seemed to work quite well all 7 times. I'm eager to try it again now that I'm off of it.

On Paxil, it was slightly reduced in intensity, but not really enough to increase the LSD dosage. I was on 20mg/day and weighed about 125lbs at the time. Male.

If you're on prozac or something similar, don't waste your tabs, I tried to trip like 3 times before realizing prozac killed all my trips.

I'd probably have to find religion because that is the part of my life that psychedelics fulfill. Who need a prophet if you can talk to your gods yourself?

just take more and expect a shorter peak..then again people on SSRI's shouldn't be tripping at all if you ask me...less they detox fully first

I am tapering off Lexapro with the help of my doctor, as my depression symptoms for which I was put on the SSRI have lessened
of course your depression symptons lessen when you take an antidepressant; that's exactly what it is supposed to do.

and I had begun feeling adverse side effects from the medication.
that's a general rule in pharmacology, unfortunately: every compound that has wanted effects has also unwanted side effects.

Another set of good answers seem to have this one covered :)

Not a dangerous combo, just a disappointing one :\

Hallucinogens (LSD/Acid, psilocybin/Shrooms, Tryptamines, 2-ct-2,DPT, DMT etc, Salvia): These drugs can be safely combined with the SSRIs. Most people report that they need to take MORE of a hallucinogen to get normal effects. Thus, if you are taking an SSRI, you will probably need more of the drug to reach threshold effects. Some people find that they need to take more LSD, but that shrooms affect them normally. So be careful to start at a normal dose and only take more if you find that you need to.
NOTE: Do not take 'ayahuasca' while on an SSRI. Do not combine SSRIs with any kind of MAOI, such as harmaline.

Further information to be found in The Big and Dandy Medication/Supplement Interaction Thread and Antidepressants and Recreational Drugs from which the above quote was quoted :)

LSD and SSRI

Hi everyone. I know that SSRI's dampen or cancel the effects of psychedelics. Say someone has been taking Citalopram daily for a couple of months. 30 mg per day, and they weigh 130 lbs. If they were to stop four days before taking a hit of acid, would they get psychedelic effects? Thanks.

I'm pretty sure you'll have to wait longer then that. But I could be wrong, I'd wait at a week or two just in caseo

My first 8 or so LSD trips where while I was taking between 50 and 150mgs of Zoloft. I've taken it about 25 times since I stopped taking SSRI's. Acid works on SSRI's but it reduced the effects by about 33.3%. And if you want the SSRI to be totally out of your system I suggest waiting 2 weeks.