• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Injecting at raves/dance parties/nightclubs

I think that if needle disposal bins etc are available at raves, it is only encouraging people to IV substances.

1. I don't inject but I'd say about 50/50 for safe disposal resources at clubs, less so at raves

2. Very occasionally, but like 1/100 event sort of thing

3. Difficult to say because people are often discreet about it. But from my knowledge, I would say quite a bit of this goes on, prob more than a lot of casual (or non) users would think

4. I think people use common sense. Obviously people release leaving used needles laying around may be a health hazzard. If theres a box, they'll prob use it, otherwise, they'll prob dispose of it thoughfully so as not to potentially give someone a health scare.

^
You believe providing safe disposal for pins encourages IV use at a venue?

People take their drugs how they want to... where they want to. Needle disposal facilities are purely there to encourage maximum safety!

There are needle disposal bins in the toilets at Myers in Perth City.

Does that say to me "Oh, shit! theres a pin bin! must mean the venue owners don't mind if i shoot up in here!"

*rolls eyes*

1. The thing about raves is they're usually in either an empty warehouse or giant arena. The larger ones may have needle bins but the smaller ones don't because a) they don't have a fixed location every time and b) the venues themselves are not designed for any kind of drug use. In fact, you could say they're built under the presumption that no one will be taking drugs there.

2. & 3. I know people who have used injectable drugs at rave parties but I've only heard of them doing it at raves where there were needle bins. Other than that, no I haven't seen any needles at a rave or club.

I think that if needle disposal bins etc are available at raves, it is only encouraging people to IV substances.

I'm afraid I agree totally with armadilliO on that one. The injecting users I know are discrete regardless, but not having bins means they are carrying picks on them for longer which translates to more danger for everyone. Most injecting users, inject regardless, and are certainly not put off by a lack of facilities.

i couldnt comment on the present because i go out every blue moon now,but in the last 14 years ive seen it heaps.Im not a fan of IV use coz ive lived with a g/f that was an IV drug user and i got to see bad sides.But different strokes for different folks.
it does happen and i think its an ok idea putting sharps bins in clubs.I dont think it would promote more IV use,just safer disposal of syringes.

1.i guess they would.

2.No and No.

3.Yes.But compared with bikkie dropers and line rackers,very minimal.

4.Community Center info,Pamphlets,Syringes and small disposal bins delivery with info.

Like i said i dont have an idea how wide spread this type of drug use is at present,but when i did see it,club/rave iv users where descrete and responsable,but lacked sharps bins.

PLH

Chaos

sonicnature said:
Thats ridiculous! Its not going to convert people to the practice or encourage it. Does mirrors in the bathroom encourage snorting lines?:\ (old thread)

This is my understanding. People who chose to inject, usuaully do it at home/house. If they are out, they will simple take it in other means.

macca macca said:
This is my understanding. People who chose to inject, usuaully do it at home/house. If they are out, they will simple take it in other means.

I would disagree with you there.

Thankyou, please correct me if i'm wrong. I was speaking to 2 people last week at a mates, that said that thing. I just assumed this is what goes on.

LOL! This thread is more than 18 months old - mad bumpage =D

Anyway, it's still a hot topic. There's obviously a lot of reticence from promoters to be seen as providing an IV friendly environment, as I believe RaveSafe aren't allowed to provide needle exchange services at most parties these days.

From what I know, it definitely happens. All the IV users I've met have been extremely careful and clean with their gear. If there aren't bins in the toilets, they'll go out to their cars. I've been to heaps of raves and can't remember ever seeing a fit disposed of unsafely (despite actively looking out for them).

Also, according to sonicnature's logic, having rubbish bins causes people to eat fast food in public. It just doesn't make sense! The best thing is to have bins in every bathroom and needle exchange onsite (discreetly) - but I know that's a way off.

Originally posted by sonicnature

Ok I understand what you are saying, I don't know if this makes any sense but I half agree. People MIGHT be deterred alot more if they have no where to safley despose of the syringe, therefore less users injecting at clubs or raves, in that case does selling pill testers make people think it is safer to take pills, therefore more people taking pills? :\

I belive whole hartedly in harm minimisation, I think pill testers are a very good step in making pill quality and safety much better on a whole, I also think SOME people are going to Inject NO MATTER what the situation is, but needle bins are a very good step in making it as safe as we can IMO.

people are always going to do drugs regardless, so making it safer for both the user's and non users is the only way to go!!! :|

Last edited:
ANDO420 said:
people are always going to do drugs regardless, so making it safer for both the user's and non users is the only way to go!!! :|
summed it up in one.

Does mirrors in the bathroom encourage snorting lines?

It certainly would for me, finding a clean, smooth, flat surface is a bitch sometimes. If I can't find an appropriate space I tend not to do it, because I physically can't.

A friend of mine had someone ask to use her glo stick only to watch him then use it to find a vein. She said it was so messed up and made her feel dirty. I tend to agree, no one really needs to inject drugs, if you do you are doing drugs too often (I sell sharpz kits at work to junkies and none of them ever look happy). Go for the music, friends and a good time with drugs. It not nice seeing people mess up their life in the middle of a peak on a packed dance floor.
IV issues is the last thing the media needs to tag onto the rave scene. We are playing a game were the media makes the rules.
I'd say that IV use is at a minimum at raves atm and lets keep it that way.

Last edited:
IF it does become a problem, i would rather walk into the toilets and see one of those yellow disposal things on the wall than seeing needles just on the ground. It hasn't come to this, and i hope it doesn't.

twominds said:
Thats ridiculous! Its not going to convert people to the practice or encourage it. Does mirrors in the bathroom encourage snorting lines?:\ (old thread)

That is completely irrelevant. Mirrors in bathrooms are there for a purpose, not for drug use.

My personal opinion is, that if there are safe needle disposal units in bathrooms/toilets, it is giving the IV user a place where it is seen as acceptable to use needles for drug use. Having these units available is definitely NOT discouraging the use of needles in nightclubs or at raves.

I think that only the people who need insulin or other diabetic medicine should be provided with these safe disposal units, and seeing them in public toilets and in bathrooms at nightclubs are CERTAINLY not there for that purpose.

I am completely against intravenous/intramuscular drug use, for my own personal reasons and my status on this will not change.
I'm not out to ruffle the feathers of the IV/IM users out there, so please dont take it that way.

Right, so because you have a moral objection to IV use, that means everyone at that event should be left at risk of needle stick injury? Sorry, it just all sounds a bit Zero Tolerance to me.

It's not about giving the user a perception of acceptability or safety. It's about acknowledging the fact that IT ALREADY HAPPENS and providing a service to ensure everyone's safety. Personally, I'm much happier with someone shooting up in the bathrooms than in their car where it's dimly lit and fits are way more likely to end up on the ground.

my .2c worth of perspective.

you have x users who will inject regardless.
you have y users who *may* be 'encouraged' to inject if they see disposable units around.
you have z which is x+y+all other users, who are potentially at danger from dodgy needles and the like.

is it a safe assumption that z > x and x > y?
assuming it is then the net effect of disposal units is a definate benefit for everyone, with only the possibility of a negative side-effect on a small minority (y).

Personally, I'm much happier with someone shooting up in the bathrooms than in their car where it's dimly lit and fits are way more likely to end up on the ground.

From someone who has worked with RaveSafe for 6 years and in event promotions for 10 years before that, I completely agree. People use cars, dimly lit rooms, corners of rooms, alleyways - you name it.

I am completely against intravenous/intramuscular drug use, for my own personal reasons and my status on this will not change.

Bins are not there to discourage use, they are put there to discourage unsafe use. There is a difference. I've never injected any rec drug, and I've known close friends who've died from it, but that doesn't mean I disrespect IV users anymore than someone who smokes, pops, snorts or plugs. Choice is their's, regardless of how socially tasteful it might or might not be. So walk by the bins and learn to accept there will always be others' that do things you might never contemplate (nor understand).

There are some very valid points there, but accepting 'that it already happens' is not eradicating the problem. The problem is that certain users are leaving their used needles on the ground, on beaches or elsewhere. Sure, supplying these bins in areas of possible usage is assisting in the reduction of needles being left in public places, but it is STILL encouraging the IV user to inject in areas close to, or directly where these bins are situated.

phase_dancer - there is no real need to attack my intelligence on such a topic, I certainly do understand IV/IM methods and this is the reason I am completely against it. I have friends who are seriously ill due to their habit, and I will not stand down to people who find the practise of injecting as safe and acceptable.