• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin How to get more out of Oxy/avoid switching to heroin?

shadowstryker

Bluelighter
I never pictured myself as the kind of person to use heroin, especially growing up with so much anti-drug propaganda. However, I do love to indulge on opiates, mainly Oxycodone, but I'm finding that I'm left with only three choices now: pay $55 a night for Oxy, pay $20 a night for Oxy but drive 3 hours to pick it up, or just switch over to heroin. The latter being what I'm leaning towards, simply because it's cheaper and I honestly don't find it as scary as people make it out to be.

I'm not an addict by any means, at least I don't believe so. I'll sometimes use almost every night for a week and sometimes stop for a week, but I have no issue stopping for weeks at a time. In fact, I've been off of it for nearly a month simply because I can't keep up with the expenses that ensues it's use. I've been looking around for some heroin the whole time though, but it has such a negative outlook in my area that even though I know people who know others that use, they won't give me their numbers. Literally bribing someone with $100 just to get someone's number didn't work it's viewed that negatively, and that someone smokes a lot of pot and stuff too...

But I digress, I guess the real reason I'm even posting at all is because of the very fact that people in my area view it so negatively, making it extremely difficult to find. Is there a reason I shouldn't switch? Or a reason to get more out of Oxy/lessen the expenses? Heroin seems like just another opiate to me, and as ignorant as that sounds I feel that as long as I test every batch I buy and don't mix it with other drugs i wouldn't think it'd be any more dangerous than my current Oxy use. I'd definitely consider myself only a casual user, and I only take orally or snort (don't think I'll ever want to inject, but I can't see into the future...). Like I said, I don't even know what my real question is or the point of this post, I guess there's just a little voice in the back of my head telling me to think this through.

Lots of people start out as casual users you know. It's just this type of self-reassurance that leads to full blown addictions down the road. The fact is that you are using some of the most addictive drugs in existence on a regular basis, sometime for days in a row, building up a tolerance and seeking more powerful and cheaper highs. Just pointing that out. How can you be so certain that you have control when it could be the drugs talking. It can take a really long time (like years) to get hooked and then even longer to become aware of it. It's super slow and insidious.

Deciding to try heroin is usually a giant leap forward in the world of opiate use, and that's something that you have to decide for yourself. It seems like as things stand, your oxy highs aren't worth the trouble. So why exactly are you still getting high off them, if you have to drive like 3 hours, do you have chronic pain or some legit reason to use them? Sorry that just makes no sense to me, no wonder you are considering heroin. But I haven't heard you mention a different option... using drugs other than opiates, or keeping opiates to special occasions so you don't have to worry about scoring them all the time.

I am sorry and this is going to be hard to hear and more so to accept. But you are definitely an addict. Not using because of financial means and because you could not find heroin while trying to decide if you want to use is not truly the same thing as... well I don't know what you think you are... you can't call yourself sober, in the end there is no such thing as a casual opiate user, and you are not chipping. Look the reason heroin has such a stigma is because it is the end of the line. You think it is your only option and that is what happens to everybody. But the truth is it will only save you money for a short period of time, your tolerance will soon raise to the same level, and then above and then you will be in even worse shape than you were before. If you are asking to hear the truth, STAY AWAY. If you are asking because you just need to hear people say it is fine to justify your own internal struggle to stay high... well I am afraid I can not help with that because it will surely lead you to nothing but pain and suffering. Stop now while you still can, or mark my words you will either live to regret it or end up in prison. Either way you will lose everything.

I second Mad Dash's opinion. And you won't get more out of your oxy use-if you use Heroin on any regular basis, I understand your tolerance for opiates and opiods will rise. If I'm wrong about this, certainly someone will chime in. You may find yourself in the position of being addicted to H and trying to scrape up the oxys to hold you between bags. Not a great idea.

Lots of people start out as casual users you know. It's just this type of self-reassurance that leads to full blown addictions down the road. The fact is that you are using some of the most addictive drugs in existence on a regular basis, sometime for days in a row, building up a tolerance and seeking more powerful and cheaper highs. Just pointing that out. How can you be so certain that you have control when it could be the drugs talking. It can take a really long time (like years) to get hooked and then even longer to become aware of it. It's super slow and insidious.

It seems like as things stand, your oxy highs aren't worth the trouble. So why exactly are you still getting high off them, if you have to drive like 3 hours, do you have chronic pain or some legit reason to use them? Sorry that just makes no sense to me, no wonder you are considering heroin. But I haven't heard you mention a different option... using drugs other than opiates, or keeping opiates to special occasions so you don't have to worry about scoring them all the time.
You're absolutely correct in saying that it's very possible I could become a full-blown addict one day, wherever that line may be drawn I'm not sure. I can't say for sure that it's me and not the drugs talking, but I'm fairly positive I've got it under control. Like I said, I can go a pretty long time without it so I'm definitely not physically addicted. Mentally there's a chance, who knows. But I'm going broke isn't the reason I stopped using Oxy recently, I stopped because I realized that I'd be broke if I kept it up. Hence trying to switch to a cheaper alternative.

I have no chronic pain or anything like that, no "legitimate" reason for use, only that I enjoy it. It's hard to explain, but i guess I'd say it's similar to smoking weed recreationally. I've tried a lot of other drugs. Lots of psychedelics, benzos, amphetamines, and opiates are just my preference. I do use some of those other drugs during my time away from opiates, but it's not the same. Keeping opiates to special occasion isn't a bad idea, but that's like buying a brand-spanking-new sports-car and telling yourself only to drive it on rare occasions. Easier said than done. I enjoy nightly though use and don't really plan on stopping since it isn't that big of a deal, and I do take breaks like right now. It's no different than paying to watch a movie or something every night, at least. As I'm writing this I'm realizing I probably do sound like an addict, but believe me when I say it's under control.

You're absolutely correct in saying that it's very possible I could become a full-blown addict one day, wherever that line may be drawn I'm not sure. I can't say for sure that it's me and not the drugs talking, but I'm fairly positive I've got it under control. Like I said, I can go a pretty long time without it so I'm definitely not physically addicted. Mentally there's a chance, who knows. But I'm going broke isn't the reason I stopped using Oxy recently, I stopped because I realized that I'd be broke if I kept it up. Hence trying to switch to a cheaper alternative.

I have no chronic pain or anything like that, no "legitimate" reason for use, only that I enjoy it. It's hard to explain, but i guess I'd say it's similar to smoking weed recreationally. I've tried a lot of other drugs. Lots of psychedelics, benzos, amphetamines, and opiates are just my preference. I do use some of those other drugs during my time away from opiates, but it's not the same. Keeping opiates to special occasion isn't a bad idea, but that's like buying a brand-spanking-new sports-car and telling yourself only to drive it on rare occasions. Easier said than done. I enjoy nightly though use and don't really plan on stopping since it isn't that big of a deal, and I do take breaks like right now. It's no different than paying to watch a movie or something every night, at least. As I'm writing this I'm realizing I probably do sound like an addict, but believe me when I say it's under control.

That is definitely strong mental addiction. Just read back over what you said. You have all the tell-tale signs. You saying it's under control just makes it seem worse honestly. It's like you're trying to fool yourself. You can't compare opiate use to weed use recreationally. A "stoner" who takes opiates instead of smoking weed is generally a "junkie". Get what I'm saying? They don't compare in the real world. Opiates, especially heroin and oxycodone, are much harder drugs.

You were going to go broke buying oxy, so you decided to switch to heroin. That is the CLASSIC addict move. That's one of the biggest reasons people switch to heroin! You're trying to justify all of these things you've done.

Turning to heroin is a sure fire way for you to get on a daily habit and become physically dependent on opiates. Please don't try to fool yourself into thinking you have it under control, you clearly don't. This isn't mean to be offensive, this is meant to help you and make you realize you are already mentally addicted. You fill the gap in between opiate use with other drug use. Poly drug use is pretty common for people who are addicted to drugs.

I am sorry and this is going to be hard to hear and more so to accept. But you are definitely an addict. Not using because of financial means and because you could not find heroin while trying to decide if you want to use is not truly the same thing as... well I don't know what you think you are... you can't call yourself sober, in the end there is no such thing as a casual opiate user, and you are not chipping. Look the reason heroin has such a stigma is because it is the end of the line. You think it is your only option and that is what happens to everybody. But the truth is it will only save you money for a short period of time, your tolerance will soon raise to the same level, and then above and then you will be in even worse shape than you were before. If you are asking to hear the truth, STAY AWAY. If you are asking because you just need to hear people say it is fine to justify your own internal struggle to stay high... well I am afraid I can not help with that because it will surely lead you to nothing but pain and suffering. Stop now while you still can, or mark my words you will either live to regret it or end up in prison. Either way you will lose everything.

It's hard to accept such a drastic prediction, you're right. I didn't come here seeking reassurance nor opposition, I like to think of myself as a at least somewhat logical person so other people's input is always useful regardless of what side they choose, and that's why I made this thread. You may be right, maybe I am an addict, but I can't be that addicted if I'm able to refrain from using like I am right now. I definitely wouldn't call myself sober albeit temporarily. Tolerance will rise if I start using heroin, and it will get more expensive, but the exact same thing will happen with Oxy as well, and is happening. I do find it hard to believe that it's impossible to be a casual user though. There has to be a line somewhere.

It's hard to accept such a drastic prediction, you're right. I didn't come here seeking reassurance nor opposition, I like to think of myself as a at least somewhat logical person so other people's input is always useful regardless of what side they choose, and that's why I made this thread. You may be right, maybe I am an addict, but I can't be that addicted if I'm able to refrain from using like I am right now. I definitely wouldn't call myself sober albeit temporarily. Tolerance will rise if I start using heroin, and it will get more expensive, but the exact same thing will happen with Oxy as well, and is happening. I do find it hard to believe that it's impossible to be a casual user though. There has to be a line somewhere.

Read my other reply to you.

You're just following the same path EVERY SINGLE ADDICT has followed. They didn't just instantly jump to everyday use. That's not how it works. You keep putting emphasis on how you aren't addicted or now you're saying maybe you are, but it's not that bad.

Read my other reply to you.

You're just following the same path EVERY SINGLE ADDICT has followed. They didn't just instantly jump to everyday use. That's not how it works. You keep putting emphasis on how you aren't addicted or now you're saying maybe you are, but it's not that bad.
No worries, I'm not the type to take offense easily. I see what you're saying, I just find it hard to believe I'd ever let it go that far, you know? I guess it's hard because there's no way to measure addiction, if that makes sense. Plus since I can go on and off I can say for sure I'm not physically dependant on it.

No worries, I'm not the type to take offense easily. I see what you're saying, I just find it hard to believe I'd ever let it go that far, you know? I guess it's hard because there's no way to measure addiction, if that makes sense. Plus since I can go on and off I can say for sure I'm not physically dependant on it.

Psychical dependence doesn't always mean much in regard to a mental addiction unfortunately.

Just be careful. This is the road everyone goes down with opiates, and it usually ends badly.

Psychical dependence doesn't always mean much in regard to a mental addiction unfortunately.

Just be careful. This is the road everyone goes down with opiates, and it usually ends badly.
Oh so true,the mental makes the physical part seem like a walk in the park.

This would ALMOST be funny if it were not so sad. You have literally quoted every addict in the world. Good luck with being in control of your Heroin addiction (I can't even say that with a straight face).

Oh so true,the mental makes the physical part seem like a walk in the park.
My father was an alcoholic so I was always told I'd be prone to addiction, but I've never found it an issue since I've dropped both caffeine and nicotine out of my life with no trouble doing so. Alcohol I've just never really liked, so that wasn't ever a problem. I'd say opiates are really the only thing I'd ever go through any trouble to obtain. Even then though, I wouldn't be desperate enough to dish out $50 a night just to have them.

This would ALMOST be funny if it were not so sad. You have literally quoted every addict in the world. Good luck with being in control of your Heroin addiction (I can't even say that with a straight face).
Sad as you may view it I've been honest this whole time. I don't know what to say, but I do believe I can handle it. I'm not the kind of person to let that all happen to me. But who knows...maybe I'm just ignorant of having never faced addiction before. I can't see into the future so there's no telling what will happen. I'll risk it though, I don't get much enjoyment in my life anyway, so I'll cherish the moments I do enjoy.

OP you sound like me before I made the switch. You are an addict. The quicker you accept that the better you will end up. It took me until my 30's to wake up and realize what a problem I had. I could always make excuses for my behavior and justify my action. That was the addiction. Addiction will make you believe anything just to get a fix. You think you can handle H? EVERYONE thought that and lost. The casual opiate user is a myth and a lie addiction tells yourself so it can get high. Remember, addiction is stronger than self will. People are here telling you this because they care and have been down this path.

Sadly it sounds like you've made up you mind. Just be fucking careful. There is a lot of laced dope out there and I doubt you could "handle" it. Be safe.

OP you sound like me before I made the switch. You are an addict. The quicker you accept that the better you will end up. It took me until my 30's to wake up and realize what a problem I had. I could always make excuses for my behavior and justify my action. That was the addiction. Addiction will make you believe anything just to get a fix. You think you can handle H? EVERYONE thought that and lost. The casual opiate user is a myth and a lie addiction tells yourself so it can get high. Remember, addiction is stronger than self will. People are here telling you this because they care and have been down this path.

Sadly it sounds like you've made up you mind. Just be fucking careful. There is a lot of laced dope out there and I doubt you could "handle" it. Be safe.
Thanks, I appreciate the post. I'm still planning to switch over to heroin, I couldn't explain to you why after hearing everyone's comments that's just how it is. Are there any tips out there that'd help me avoid ODing, though? I only snort hero and I don't plan on IV ing any time soon, and I know you should always "test" it first every time you buy a new batch. Are there any other useful tips you guys may have? I've come pretty damn close to ODing on oxy before, so I usually do take precautions.

I have to agree. You're an addict, maybe not a daily user but an addict. Trust me you may think you have it under control but opiates will sink their claws into you sooner or later. The fact that you're going out of your way to get it, are using enough to generate tolerance and almost break the bank speaks volumes. If you were truly a take it or leave it guy you would leave it even when you could afford it. You may not be using opiates all the time but you said yourself you fill in the gaps with other drugs. It's a slippery slope you're on, be careful. The end result of opiate use is usually not pretty.

I have to agree. You're an addict, maybe not a daily user but an addict. Trust me you may think you have it under control but opiates will sink their claws into you sooner or later. The fact that you're going out of your way to get it, are using enough to generate tolerance and almost break the bank speaks volumes. If you were truly a take it or leave it guy you would leave it even when you could afford it. You may not be using opiates all the time but you said yourself you fill in the gaps with other drugs. It's a slippery slope you're on, be careful. The end result of opiate use is usually not pretty.
Okay, so this is quoting your post but it also applies to almost everyone who has posted in this thread. I was talking to a friend earlier today about my issue, looking for a plug, etc etc, and I realized something. I've only been dry of opiates for a month, almost exactly actually, but it feels like it has been months to me. In only a month I'm already trying to pay people just to help me find a connect, and I've made plans to go around the bad part of a nearby big-city asking homeless people if something if they know anyone who sells. Which I've been suggested to do but I've never done before, which will definitely be a new experience for me considering I live in the suburbs. I even found myself asking one guy if he'd found any yet after i asked him to ask around for me a while back, only to realize I only asked him to do that 3 days ago.

The point being that I do realize now that I am an addict I guess, but I still don't plan to stop looking for heroin. It's really hard to explain, and I don't think I could if I tried. I guess it goes back to when I mentioned how there's no way to really measure addiction, and I don't feel like an addict per se. I don't really know, like I said I can't explain it and it'd be even harder to explain how I feel right now...I felt the need to post this though because I really don't know how I feel but I needed to someone to hear all that.

Last edited:
Okay, so this is quoting your post but it also applies to almost everyone who has posted in this thread. I was talking to a friend earlier today about my issue, looking for a plug, etc etc, and I realized something. I've only been dry of opiates for a month, almost exactly actually, but it feels like it has been months to me. In only a month I'm already trying to pay people just to help me find a connect, and I've made plans to go around the bad part of a nearby big-city asking homeless people if something if they know anyone who sells. Which I've been suggested to do but I've never done before, which will definitely be a new experience for me considering I live in the suburbs. I even found myself asking one guy if he'd found any yet after i asked him to ask around for me a while back, only to realize I only asked him to do that 3 days ago.

The point being that I do realize now that I am an addict I guess, but I still don't plan to stop looking for heroin. It's really hard to explain, and I don't think I could if I tried. I guess it goes back to when I mentioned how there's no way to really measure addiction, and I don't feel like an addict per se. I don't really know, like I said I can't explain it and it'd be even harder to explain how I feel right now...I felt the need to post this though because I really don't know how I feel but I needed to someone to hear all that.

You're going to end up using heroin daily at this rate, I have no doubts about it. Please don't start with the heroin. It's quality varies too much and you are far to inexperienced to handle it. If you don't have a decent tolerance you can end up dead from snorting real quick. It doesn't take much. And look at what you're going through trying to find it! That's just desperation, and you haven't even had it yet. Imagine what you'll do just to get ahold of some when you find out how much you love it.

I have ODed from snorting 3 times. One of those times required immediate medical attention or I wouldn't be here right now to try to stop you from using heroin!

If you MUST continue using opiates just stick to the pharms. It is so much safer. I don't see anyone here convincing you to stop opiates completely, that's obviously a useless fight.

To answer your question OP:

DXM has shown efficacy in keeping opiate tolerance at bay - utse or google, there's quite a lot of literature on it. That, and time in between doses, which you say you do - as well as living an otherwise healthy lifestyle, are all important factors.

Now you say you only take your Oxy snorted or orally. Consider the plugging route. It's not half as bad as it first seems and it's a much more efficient way to use your stuff. Again, utse, or google it - there's plenty to read about on the net.

That little voice in the back of your head telling you to switch to heroin is a demon. It's an irrational, stupid voice. Don't listen to it.