" Hair Metal" vs Grunge

Definitely weird looking back on it. A lot of it was radio. Classic rock radio played a lot of that music, "Hard Rock." I was 12 when I heard Nevermind. I remember watching music videos and Beastie Boys - So What Cha Want came on and that was a shocker. TV and music videos were such a huge influence. In the burbs kids were listening to Salt-N-Pepa Push It, MC Hammer, Young MC. A lot of Dance music was being listened to. So a lot of that was in the mix.
Or even Ministry. Someone I knew liked the band and was playing it. There was a lot of different music being played. Or even White Zombie really.

The only thing about Nirvana I will say is that it made more people listen to The Pixies and The Breeders, which is a good thing.
Check out these documentaries. I agree with Lita Ford..there is NO real kick ass music scene anymore !! WTF ??
It's all kiddie POP. At that time the "M" in MTV actually meant something, I loved MTV back then. Now it's just a politically-driven machine. A way to poison teenager's minds against Conservatism. "Hey, we're MTV!! Be cool and join us as a liberal, or be a POS, and have no friends!"

Ugh. Fuck the sleazeballs! *regressing back to 15*

I can't stand hair-metal. The lyrics are generally unintelligible, at best, and the music itself is pretty blah.
Hair-metal fans have a kind of jockey-party-mentality.

I prefer the depressed, suicidal geeks screaming out their anguish over three-chord songs.

Tell me again about how melodic heavy metal is dead:

Yeah I saw those documentaries on MTV. Having listened to waaaaay more grunge than hair metal, I have to go with hair metal. Grunge has a way of bringing u down...no good. But u listen to Aerosmith's Crazy and u feel good....u realize there is love in life and excitment and joy and that these things are in your reach.

Grunge IS hair metal. Your argument is invalid.

mother-love-bone-andrew-wood-death.jpg

Definitely weird looking back on it. A lot of it was radio. Classic rock radio played a lot of that music, "Hard Rock." I was 12 when I heard Nevermind. I remember watching music videos and Beastie Boys - So What Cha Want came on and that was a shocker. TV and music videos were such a huge influence. In the burbs kids were listening to Salt-N-Pepa Push It, MC Hammer, Young MC. A lot of Dance music was being listened to. So a lot of that was in the mix.
Or even Ministry. Someone I knew liked the band and was playing it. There was a lot of different music being played. Or even White Zombie really.

The only thing about Nirvana I will say is that it made more people listen to The Pixies and The Breeders, which is a good thing.

Someone define hair metal though. I've never really heard a great definition.

Ugh. Fuck the sleazeballs! *regressing back to 15*

I can't stand hair-metal. The lyrics are generally unintelligible, at best, and the music itself is pretty blah.
Hair-metal fans have a kind of jockey-party-mentality.

I prefer the depressed, suicidal geeks screaming out their anguish over three-chord songs.
Critics always focused way too much on how "pretty" the band members were, bands like Cinderella, Warrant, Poison, they basically forgot the music. I don't exactly hear teens today listening to "Hair" metal music which kinda saddens me. I think more teens today should be more appreciative of good old rock/heavy metal bands. If it wasn't for def leppard, warrant, bon jovi, ratt, quiet riot, white snake, ozzy, kiss, and even Micheal Jackson mtv would have never made it, so what does mtv do to all those bands, they shit on all of them, mtv sucks What bothers me about a channel like MTV is that when something is popular they regard it as being 'good,' but then they'll marginalize that same stuff they made a fortune off of when its no longer considered cool. Hypocrisy and unfairness in the mainstream media bothers me more than the music I don't like.

Yeah, that's what MTV does - they praise what's trendy and shit on what's not. Who the fuck needs MTV anyway these days? I honestly thought they were done years ago.

I always perceived hair metal bands as bands that aimed to be in the mainstream limelight, with music and lyrics that appealed to the bigger masses.
There's to much theatrics for my taste - I feel pretty much the same way about all black, punk and grind-metal bands that lean to much into the stereotype and put to much effort into their image with elaborate clothing etcetc. Dang, just picked up your instrument and play - that's what we're here for, the music.

Wouldn't you rather see KISS without their fucking make-up?

Metal really has made a comeback or never really went away really.

I love both, hair metal and grunge. I can go from listening to Winger "Headed For a Heartbreak" to Screaming Trees "Nearly Lost You", it's all enjoyable. No need to pick sides.

I kind of don't get your point, and I mean, you write A LOT LOL...

I know I write a lot myself but damn....that's a lot to read...but I guess I'm being whiny cause I'm at a moment when I'm maybe too tired to read it all, but here's what I'd say quickly, as a HUGE metal head who also appreciates early grunge like soundgarden, Alice in Chains and Nirvana but who honestly HATES hair metal (I mean stuff like Winger and Ratt....UGGHH!!! I can't stomach it at all....) and who is probably a bit younger than you (I was born in 1980...). Also, I like breaking points down into numbers and letters to make them easier to follow lol.

1) I don't really see the point in harping about how one band or one music movement like grunge "killed" another like hair metal.

For one thing: A) I have never been one to usually like music that is popular period. While I did like grunge, other than Soundgarden who were my favorite of those bands, I was never CRAZY about the others, I just liked AIC and Nirvana I didn't like as much as them either, but still did dig them.

But FOR ME...if you want to take metal, or most music I like...I find it's almost always the underground stuff I like best. Sure, Metallica in the 80s and some other bands who were big in the 80s in their PRIMES were great, but even if you ask me about that era I'm thinking about the extreme bands metal bands like Death, Venom, Bathory, Celtic Frost and Hellhammer, Carcass, Mercyful Fate, King Diamond, and then...

B) as you move into the 90s and start talking about "the death of metal"....I mean FAR FROM IT!! Perhaps the death of HAIR metal but I don't really consider a lot of that music TRUE METAL any ways....more rock music. No offense....but WHY PAY ATTENTION TO WHAT THE PUBLIC EVER VIEWS AS POPULAR OR REALLY CARE??!!

When I became a metal head and general music fan in the 90s....while hair metal was dying and grunge was taking over and all that.....the bands I REALLY discovered were going strong like Suicidal Tendencies, Faith No More, Rollins Band, Rage Against the Machine, and then there was the explosion of Norwegian Black Metal in the early 90s and I came to love Mayhem, Emperor, Burzum, Dark Throne.

Over in Sweden the Gothenburg scene first open in the mid to late 90s with In Flames, At the Gates, Dark Tranquility and Finland was producing bands like one of my all time favorites, Amorphis, and extreme death metal was growing into it's own thing down in Florida with bands like Immolation, Suffocation, Deicide.......I was discovering other bands as well in the 90s like Entombed, Fudge Tunnel, Biohazard.

Your focusing on what was or wasn't POPULAR ON THE RADIO IN THE 90s seems to have left you not recognizing what was going on in the underground AND IN MY OPINION IT'S ALWAYS THE UNDERGROUND WHERE THE BEST STUFF HAPPENS.

But anyways.....I mean, you seem to like to complain about Grunge music "killing hair metal".....but musical trends just happen naturally and there's no controlling what will become popular or what will fall out of fashion.

That's why I just have never cared what was or wasn't popular at any point in time.

I don't listen to the radio and never have much, and while back as a teenager in the 90s I did discover some good stuff from MTV (mainly watching Beavis and Butthead hahaha....) my learning about music from TV and radio pretty much ended after the late 90s.

Since then it's mainly the internet and friends who have helped me discover the music I like.

So yeah...I mean, I like grunge a LOT more than I ever liked hair metal (which I don't like), but I like extreme metal and underground metal a lot more than I ever liked grunge on most of that was NEVER popular.

Why lament changes in popular musical taste that probably couldn't have been controlled anyways?

Who knows why certain music becomes popular and other music doesn't, and why blame bands like Nirvana and Pearl Jam and Grunge bands for trying to do their thing as if they committed a crime by pushing hair metal into the background?

They were just trying to play their style of music.

I personally just don't care what is or isn't popular and find the underground to be where it's at...but I'll tell you that grunge had little to no effect on underground metal and it's fans. We thrived then and we thrive now.

Metal really has made a comeback or never really went away really.

No, metal has never gone away at all, it's just HAIR metal that isn't popular anymore, and honestly, I could never stand the stuff at all, but everyone will like what they like.

There has been a steady stream of MULTIPLE styles of metal that have continued to thrive in every decade up from the late 60s up until today.

That's why I just don't understand this thread. It's basically to lament that one style of music was no longer popular on the radio and MTV while another was, but who care's what's popular? I know I don't.

If it's out there and I can listen to it, that's all I care about.

I mean around the years when Cobain died in 1993 and 1994, probably around the time that hair metal fans were really upset about the death of their style of music, these albums were released, and while I know most people won't dig them or get them, it's enough for me to not care about that period of time being the time when hair metal died or grunge was surging. I'd rather think of it as the time when these albums were being released!! LONG LIVE THE UNDERGROUND!!: