" Hair Metal" vs Grunge

Well as a metal head I must also agree the 80s RULED and were really the decade that metal in general, regarldess of subgenres, came of age.

Metal was born in the late 60s and the 70s were basically metal's childhood, but the 80s were metal's angsty teenage years and everything was forming then. Likewise, I think the 90s saw more mature metal, and now in the 2000s metal is REALLY diverse.

I TOTALLY agree with you by the way that Nirvana in my PERSONAL opinion was FAR from the best grunge band. My favorite is Soundgarden and I was VERY upset when Cornell died and I think they were the most talented. My 2nd favorite was AIC who I also like and think is more talented than Nirvana.

I never really got into Pearl Jam so I can't speak on them, and I felt Stone Temple Pilots just imitated everyone else.

But I DID and still DO like Nirvana for what they did and Cobain as a figure in his own right.

I didn't say Nirvana was "anti-mainstream"....in fact, they BECAME mainstream but supposedly the problem was that Kurt never WANTED them to be.

What I said is ME PERSONALLY, I feel that his music and grunge music "has more substance to it in terms of lyric themes and overall atmosphere than hair metal."

I'll admit, I don't know a REAL lot about hair metal, but I've heard songs by bands like Ratt, Winger, Warrant, Poision, etc and always really strongly disliked them all, and what I always saw as their "thing" was that they were trying to get lots of girls, get with their female fans, party and drink and do coke and wear make up and live the very materialistic lifestyle that the 80s was really all about.

I mean you know the 80s were materialistic right? The whole era of "the material girl" (by the way I LOVE Cindi Lauper LOL)

It was a decade of excess, people had more money, and that excess showed in hair metal.

Grunge was about the "not so pretty" side of life: depression, drugs, loss, etc, and I myself like a lot of VERY dark music so I relate.

You don't have to and that's cool, but I just don't quite get why you like to bash grunge so much.

I mean I get it: you had a style you loved and along came another style you didn't and kind of kicked it off the airwaves and MTV, but that's ancient history now and I think if possible they should have kept BOTH hair metal and grunge on MTV so people could enjoy both but whatever.

And while you MIGHT be right that "hair metal" wasn't the term back then..GLAM rock/glam metal most CERTAINLY existed and I have never liked glam rock much at all, minus Skid Row and I guess Kiss has some ok stuff but I was never the biggest fan of them either.

Also, people liked Nirvana BEFORE he killed himself, and even if his suicide did make them so much more popular (cause of course it did...) isn't it a BIT unfair to blame Cobain for offing himself??

I mean, the guy was OBVIOUSLY miserable or he would not have blown his head off with a shotgun and I feel sorry for the guy just like I do for Cornell, Stayley and all people, famous or not, who kill themselves.

I don't know if you've watched the latest Kurt Cobain documentary "Montage of Heck" that came out a few years back, but you get to hear and see a lot of what he went through and he had a lot of suffering he channeled into his music.

Suicide itself should not make someone famous, but that's not ALL that made Nirvana famous for one, and for two, beyond being the singer of a famous band Cobain was just a person who was miserable and offed himself and deserves a little sympathy IMO.

Finally, I will still maintain that glam rock WAS a distinct style of rock/metal scene as NOT being the same thing as thrash, death metal, early black metal, power metal, traditional heavy metal, doom metal or other styles of metal in the 1980s.

Have you ever checked out the website Encyclopedia Metallum: The Metal Archives??

You should.

They are by and large considered to be THE BIGGEST AUTHORITY ON WHAT IS AND IS NOT HEAVY METAL ON THE INTERNET.

Sometimes I disagree with them, but really, they are as much of an authority as it gets on metal, and most of the glam bands (or hair metal) that you and others like are not even listed on that site or considered by them to be metal.

Ratt, Poison, White Snake, Winger, Warrant, KISS, Cinderella, etc are not even on there because the members of The Metal Archives decided in a series of meetings that they are not true metal bands but rock bands, and I tend to agree with them.

Skid Row IS on there though.

I mean I'm sure you might scoff at that, but this is a BIG well established site full of people who dedicate their lives to metal and they have regular weekly meetings to discus what bands are and are not metal based on NUMEROUS criteria and if they aren't then they don't include them on the site.

Of course, it would be hard to PROVE these bands aren't metal, or what metal even IS because that can be up for debate......but as someone who has listened to more metal and rock bands than I can count I would have to say I don't see most of that kind of music as being metal because it just plain isn't heavy enough.

However, some of those bands may have been considered metal back in the 80s....and standards DO change over time.

Anyways, good talk.
You can laugh at the haircuts, videos, outfits, lyrics and album covers and the banality of power chords but there was a reason why this stuff was popular - it had some fine hooks, riffs and great hot singers. I wish Heavy Metal songs could be top 10 hits on the Hot 100 again played along with the pop and rap songs on radio stations. I just wish that rock/metal ruled the world again. Metal's glory years were 1980-1992. I'm a big fan of those years in Metal .'Hair Metal' was SOOO huge that top 10 Billboard charts and MTV most requested videos we're metal almost top to bottom for a few years. That's why I pick up Hair metal over Grunge. I never liked music only to be depressing, pessimist or dull. Never been a fan or existentialism in music

Of course "serious" magazines and bullshit judgements by the comitee (Rolling Stone and others) media only pick up music to depress like indie, grunge, punk, etc. All Cobain sang about was depression, gloom, doom, misery, angst, despair, loss and a terrible life growing up. Sure, he wasn't the first nor the last to sing songs like that but that was ALL he sang about! Take John Lennon for example; his dad abandoned him and his mom when he was a kid and John was practically destroyed when his mother was killed by an off duty police officer who was driving drunk but looking at his music it wasn't all about doom and gloom......and he didn't commit suicide either. All that alternative music that sounds the same was or is never going to be rock and roll. It was Nirvana who took the spirit of rock and messed it up completely. Kurt Cobain was heavily influenced by the Meat Puppets and the Pixies and told anyone who cared that the Teen Spirit structure came straight from Gouge Away. And the riff from Come As You Are was taken from Killing Joke's Eighties . Nirvana have no meaning behind their lyrics. To quote Kurt himself "a lot of times when I write lyrics it's in the last second because I'm lazy. Then I find myself having to come up with explanations". 99% of the time, Nirvana wrote down random phrases, tied them together and let people make up bullshit about it. Listen to today's commercial rock music and then listen to Nirvana. Any difference? They even wear almost the same clothes. Nirvana influenced those.

Give me Kiss over Sex Pistols, give me Bon Jovi over The Cure, Def Leppard over Nirvana, Poison over Pixies, Guns n Roses over Sonic Youth, etc. For me the late 80s/early 90s were a great time to be a metal fan. I think it was a lot of fun, got our blood flowing...unlike grunge that came after it, with it's gloomy outlook on life. After 1994 I found it harder to get excited about newer metal bands. I still love and listen to the older 80's and early 90's metal.

Yeah, Anthony Kiedis better stay with us. I know he had a wild life as a kid growing up, but he always seemed stable mentally to me. I never worried about him.

I listen to Lithium channel (90's alternative/grunge) on Sirius satellite and now it just sounds like a graveyard of who's dead: Chris Cornell, Chester Bennington, Scott Weiland, Layne Staley, Kurt Cobain, the singer of Sublime, the singer of Blind Melon...
Dolores O'Riordan from The Cranberries was another shock. After her death, I learned she suffered with bipolar disorder so it made sense unfortunately.

I'm glad Billy Corgan of Smashing Pumpkins seems to be happy now. He has a girlfriend and children. He seems to be over his "angst" (I hate that word, but I couldn't think of anything else) Or I would've been more worried about him.

Jonathan Davis from Korn better not go anywhere. I can't lose anymore artists I grew up on, it's enough already.

Last edited:
i like the eddy vedder crowd lol. ♡
now.
omg mudhoney days
and andrew wood.

whoa, so many. ♡
?

Give me Kiss over Sex Pistols, give me Bon Jovi over The Cure, Def Leppard over Nirvana, Poison over Pixies, Guns n Roses over Sonic Youth, etc. For me the late 80s/early 90s were a great time to be a metal fan. I think it was a lot of fun, got our blood flowing...unlike grunge that came after it, with it's gloomy outlook on life. After 1994 I found it harder to get excited about newer metal bands. I still love and listen to the older 80's and early 90's metal.

You're aware that different people like different things right? You seem to shit on a lot of well liked bands when a lot of people would say the same thing about "hair metal".

You can laugh at the haircuts, videos, outfits, lyrics and album covers and the banality of power chords but there was a reason why this stuff was popular - it had some fine hooks, riffs and great hot singers. I wish Heavy Metal songs could be top 10 hits on the Hot 100 again played along with the pop and rap songs on radio stations. I just wish that rock/metal ruled the world again. Metal's glory years were 1980-1992. I'm a big fan of those years in Metal .'Hair Metal' was SOOO huge that top 10 Billboard charts and MTV most requested videos we're metal almost top to bottom for a few years. That's why I pick up Hair metal over Grunge. I never liked music only to be depressing, pessimist or dull. Never been a fan or existentialism in music

Of course "serious" magazines and bullshit judgements by the comitee (Rolling Stone and others) media only pick up music to depress like indie, grunge, punk, etc. All Cobain sang about was depression, gloom, doom, misery, angst, despair, loss and a terrible life growing up. Sure, he wasn't the first nor the last to sing songs like that but that was ALL he sang about! Take John Lennon for example; his dad abandoned him and his mom when he was a kid and John was practically destroyed when his mother was killed by an off duty police officer who was driving drunk but looking at his music it wasn't all about doom and gloom......and he didn't commit suicide either. All that alternative music that sounds the same was or is never going to be rock and roll. It was Nirvana who took the spirit of rock and messed it up completely. Kurt Cobain was heavily influenced by the Meat Puppets and the Pixies and told anyone who cared that the Teen Spirit structure came straight from Gouge Away. And the riff from Come As You Are was taken from Killing Joke's Eighties . Nirvana have no meaning behind their lyrics. To quote Kurt himself "a lot of times when I write lyrics it's in the last second because I'm lazy. Then I find myself having to come up with explanations". 99% of the time, Nirvana wrote down random phrases, tied them together and let people make up bullshit about it. Listen to today's commercial rock music and then listen to Nirvana. Any difference? They even wear almost the same clothes. Nirvana influenced those.

You have a 100% different take on music than me.

No offense, but Encyclopedia Metallum:The Metal Archives, number one authority on metal on the internet, does NOT consider most of the glam bands you like (minus Skid Row) to be metal AT ALL, and neither do I.

I think they are a type of rock, but they are not REAL metal.

Either way, I would NEVER want a metal band to hit a top ten classic!!!

DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND THAT METAL'S TRUE PLACE IS IN THE UNDERGROUND!!

Metal music, IN MY PERSONAL OPINION, is NOT meant to be appreciated by the massses.

IT is meant to be LOUD, ANGRY, DIRTY, NOISY music played in dive bars after 1:00AM.

I think you need to listen to some stuff that was popular in the 80s ONLY IN THE METAL UNDERGROUND that was REALLY heavy and not glam rock.

Listen to the following and get back to me: Kreator, Dark Angel, Death Angel, Voivod, Celtic Frost, Hellhammer, Bathory, Coroner, Sodom, Massacra, Massacre, Possessed, early Death, Pestilence, Venom, Razor, and many more.

And you keep saying that Kurt Cobain was so lame and shit, but don't you acknowledge the poor guy had shit in his life he was miserable about and just used it to make music?

Who cares who you think he copied? He was a human being, and I'll listen to his music ANY DAY over Ratt, Winger or Poison.

I don't think you have the same conception of metal as I do.

I don't like glam or hair metal, I like fucking Death metal, Black Metal, Grindcore, Thrash, etc.

Here, this is a Razor song released in 1990....around the time you were becoming so concerned with losing glam metal to grunge.

Now THIS is real metal....and it is NOT FUCKING SUPPOSED TO BE A TOP TEN HIT!!!!

They don't WANT that shit, they want to drink beer and cause mayhem!!

THIS IS REAL METAL!!

Last edited:
Here Marla, here's some more REAL 80s metal, not watered down stuff meant to make the top ten charts like Bon Jovi, Warrant, Winger or Ratt:

Celtic Frost: Circle of the Tyrants from 1985:

Kreator: Pleasure to Kill from 1986:

Venom: In League With Satan from 1981:

Now, if you call yourself an 80s' "metal head" I hope you've at least HEARD some of this before, but my guess is you haven't....

How badly do you think any of these guys wanted to make the top 10 on the radio charts??

News flash: THEY'D HAVE RATHER BEEN BURNED ALIVE THAN PLAYED ON THE RADIO!! LOL

They were ALL about being underground and obscure, wearing their leather jackets and drinking cheap beer in dive bars.

LONG LIVE THE UNDERGROUND!!

One thing you have to admit; as goofy as the 80's hair band guitarists looked with the big hair, make-up and spandex they spent years mastering their craft with blistering guitar riffs and killer solos whereas Cobain shot up the charts playing rinky-dink power chords and amateurish piss ant guitar solos. Go figure! A few months back I was in a local music store and saw this young 15-ish looking boy playing the guitar intro to Alice Cooper's "Poison" on a Fender Strat. I walked up to him and shook his hand and thanked him for NOT playing that "Come as you are" or "Smells like Teen Spirit" bullshit like most people I hear his age play. Judging from the smile he gave me he knew exactly what I was getting at!

Alice Cooper is OK, but shit on grunge all you want, I will listen to Soundgarden or Alice in Chains ANY DAY over any band you have listed.

The "Hair Metal" era, roughly '83 to '92 or so, represents the last time Heavy Metal was truly relevant. It represents the last time rock was culturally 'dangerous' and also fun as a genre - when rockstars still roamed the Earth. Took my nephew to see Arcade Fire two years ago. A good band. The audience seemed to enjoy themselves. But they had know idea what it was like when Motley Crue or Poison hit the stage.

I feel sorry for kids today. If you didn't see it and all you know is the current hipster revisionist history, I can understand why it seemed silly. It was silly, even then. But we didn't care. The songs sounded great.

I could not disagree more with your bolded statement.

As a died in the wool "metal head" I do not believe metal music IS MEANT AT ALL TO BE CULTURALLY RELEVANT!!

IT'S MEANT TO BE UNDERGROUND AND APPRECIATED BY THE FEW DIE HARDS WHO GET IT!!

That's why the "metal" that you like isn't REAL metal at all but more suedo-glam rock that WAS accepted because it was commercially palpable to the masses, and you need to listen to the bands I linked that represent REAL metal.

I like metal with some harmony in it like Tool is one of my favorites and Nothingface.
Dude can scream his ass off, but there's also some harmony to it.

That's the first Nothingface song I ever heard and was hooked, it's called "Bleeder".

Another favorite off the 'Violence' album:

Oh no! I didn't know the singer died. I just happened to see it mentioned in the YouTube comments. :(

Last edited:
I could not disagree more with your bolded statement.

As a died in the wool "metal head" I do not believe metal music IS MEANT AT ALL TO BE CULTURALLY RELEVANT!!

IT'S MEANT TO BE UNDERGROUND AND APPRECIATED BY THE FEW DIE HARDS WHO GET IT!!

That's why the "metal" that you like isn't REAL metal at all but more suedo-glam rock that WAS accepted because it was commercially palpable to the masses, and you need to listen to the bands I linked that represent REAL metal.
That's a very broad generalization and pretty ridiculous. So every 80's band that qualifies as hair metal only cares about drugs and girls and being famous? Yeah, right. You can hate the music and their looks, but your statement is just flat out wrong. Glam metal is a subgenre of heavy metal, but still metal. As i said many times, the term 'Hair Metal' only came about as a derogatory term so people could put down a band, a sound, or a look they didn't like or understand. In the "definitive metal family tree" of his documentary Metal: A Headbanger's Journey, anthropologist Sam Dunn differentiates pop metal, which includes bands like Def Leppard, Europe, and Whitesnake, from glam metal bands that include Mötley Crüe, Twisted Sister and Poison.
Hair metal is another of those stupid terms that was applied to the genre YEARS after the fact, most likely by hipster journalists. In the 80s/ early 90s it was METAL. All hair metal is heavy metal.
Judas Priest was really the first band to define heavy metal, in both music and image. Rob Halford basically invented the image of what people would equate with heavy metal, and musically, Priest was the first to pretty much disregard blues influences for the most part, which separates them from Sabbath, Zeppelin etc. And nobody could credibly say that Judas Priest is not a real Heavy Metal band. In the '70s there was no distinction made between heavy metal and hard rock and any band that featured any aggressive guitar riffs could get hit with the tag. Bands like Heart and Queen were getting called metal, which is kinda ridiculous in retrospect.

That said, it is unfair to say that the difference is that Hair Metal is about image and Heavy Metal is not. Just different images.

I was in high school 1990-94, and we called it Metal. It was always good to have a few trash metal albums around for when boys would come around. But if they weren't around it was Poison, Winger, Guns n Roses, Cinderella, Warrant, Slaughter, Def Leppard, etc. Hair metal was popular as soon as Metal Health and, to a slightly lesser extent, Pyromania were released - that was early 1983. Hair metal reigned for a decade or more.

That's a very broad generalization and pretty ridiculous. So every 80's band that qualifies as hair metal only cares about drugs and girls and being famous? Yeah, right. You can hate the music and their looks, but your statement is just flat out wrong. Glam metal is a subgenre of heavy metal, but still metal. As i said many times, the term 'Hair Metal' only came about as a derogatory term so people could put down a band, a sound, or a look they didn't like or understand. In the "definitive metal family tree" of his documentary Metal: A Headbanger's Journey, anthropologist Sam Dunn differentiates pop metal, which includes bands like Def Leppard, Europe, and Whitesnake, from glam metal bands that include Mötley Crüe, Twisted Sister and Poison.
Hair metal is another of those stupid terms that was applied to the genre YEARS after the fact, most likely by hipster journalists. In the 80s/ early 90s it was METAL. All hair metal is heavy metal.
Judas Priest was really the first band to define heavy metal, in both music and image. Rob Halford basically invented the image of what people would equate with heavy metal, and musically, Priest was the first to pretty much disregard blues influences for the most part, which separates them from Sabbath, Zeppelin etc. And nobody could credibly say that Judas Priest is not a real Heavy Metal band. In the '70s there was no distinction made between heavy metal and hard rock and any band that featured any aggressive guitar riffs could get hit with the tag. Bands like Heart and Queen were getting called metal, which is kinda ridiculous in retrospect.

That said, it is unfair to say that the difference is that Hair Metal is about image and Heavy Metal is not. Just different images.

I was in high school 1990-94, and we called it Metal. It was always good to have a few trash metal albums around for when boys would come around. But if they weren't around it was Poison, Winger, Guns n Roses, Cinderella, Warrant, Slaughter, Def Leppard, etc. Hair metal was popular as soon as Metal Health and, to a slightly lesser extent, Pyromania were released - that was early 1983. Hair metal reigned for a decade or more.

No, I didn't say that ALL that glam or hair metal was EVER about was drugs and girls and being famous, but in terms of LYRICAL content? Yeah, a large majority of their LYRICAL CONTENT revolves around that.

And I STRONGLY disagree with you that all of the bands you are mentioning qualify as metal, and so does Encycloepedia Metallum, the Metal Archives.

It doesn't matter to me that you are 4 years older than me, I honestly believe I know a whole lot more about the history of metal music than you, and I generally disagree with a number of statements you are making.

I'll agree that "hair metal" as a term came later, and we can agree on that, and yes, the stuff you like was called GLAM ROCK and GLAM METAL during the 80s.

And while I'll agree that glam metal is a subgenre of metal, I think that in order for those bands to count as metal they need to be heavy enough and have their roots tied firmly enough to the metal lifestyle, and the bands you list like Winger, Cinderella, Warrant, Slaughter, Poison.....NONE of them are considered to be metal music by Encycloepdia Metallum: The Metal Archives and their panel of around 100 experts and thousands of critics because those bands are simply not very heavy.

Mostly they are just rock music.

Encyclopedia Metallum DOES however consider Def Leppard as Heavy Metal, and rightfully so cause they were part of the New Wave of British Heavy Metal.

Trivia question (AND DON'T GOOGLE IT!) Do you know what the NWOBHM is? Cause if not, that will cast some doubt for me on your knowledge of metal history.

Encyclopedia Metallum also DOES consider Motley Crue metal, as well Twisted Sister, Skid Row, Quiet Riot, Dokken, Stryper, Scorpions, and a number of others, and I agree on all of those as they have a heaviness that a lot of the bands you mentioned don't have.

As far as this statement that you made: " In the '70s there was no distinction made between heavy metal and hard rock and any band that featured any aggressive guitar riffs could get hit with the tag. Bands like Heart and Queen were getting called metal, which is kinda ridiculous in retrospect"...

You are CORRECT that " In the '70s" people thought that way about metal, and maybe your friends in the 90s called Winger and Ratt metal, but RIGHT NOW AT THIS CURRENT POINT a lot of those early bands you listed are no longer considered metal and the majority of bands you list as glam rock you like are NOT considered to be metal by the foremost authority on the web, and standards of what a style consists of DO change over time.

Now I don't ALWAYS agree with Encyclopedia Metallum, but I do here.

As far as your statement that you think Judas Priest was the first metal band, I am going to disagree and think Sabbath was the first WELL KNOWN metal band, although yes, you are correct that Priest was the first to take away the blues element and add the twin guitar attack, but IMO Sabbath were a MUCH HEAVIER, DARKER AND BETTER BAND!!

Not to mention that there WERE other metal bands as early as Sabbath and even before them, but you probably haven't researched that as heavily as I have.

At the same time and before Black Sabbath all these bands existed that could rightfully be considered metal, but they were mostly kind of obscure and not well known: The Flower Travelin' Band from Japan, The Flying Hat Band (had Glen Tipton from Judas Priest), Bloodrock, Warpig, Deep Purple of course, a band called THE ORIGINAL Iron Maiden (not the one everyone else knows about) who formed in 66' and broke up in 70' and were AMAZING, Writing on the Wall, Iron Claw, Clear Blue Sky, Necromandus, Zior, Monument, and quite a few others.

I am also not sure why you bring up Judas Priest at all and say "no one could say they aren't a metal band" because yes, they are an important early metal band, but so what?

What annoys me most about your posts is that you are acting like your opinions are FACTS that cannot be disputed.

What also annoyed me is that you said something like "the early 80s were the last great age of metal" because the glam bands you like had top hits on the radio, and 1) I don't think that something being popular on the radio or MTV is ANY proof it is actually GOOD music, just that people like it and I think most people have shit taste

2) There is TONS of INCREDIBLE metal that has continued to come out after the 80s, in the 90s, 2000s and 2010s, and I don't agree that the time period you are talking about was the last great age of metal simply cause those bands had radio hits.

3)....And this is the REALLY weird thing: So....basically, you kind of made this thread to attack the "popular music media" of the 90s, generally MTV and the radio, for popularizing grunge music that you hate, in favor of the glam rock that you like...RIGHT??

BUT...then you say that the fact that the glam rock you like had top hits on the radio in the 80s is proof that "the early 80s was the last great age of metal."

So, on the one hand you are saying you hate the music media that made grunge popular, but also that you support the opinions of that same music media which awarded the bands you like top hits on the radio in the early 80s.

Don't you see the dichotomy there?

THAT IS THE SAME MUSIC MEDIA!

You can't BOTH love it and hate it.

Me personally, I am of the opinion that USUALLY the music that is really popular is complete SHIT, and that most things that are popular are shit because most people have shitty taste, and that if you want to find REALLY good music you usually have to look to the underground, and I personally feel that metal music in general is mostly meant to be an underground movement and a style that is NOT supposed to be palpable to your average listener.

BUT...I do think that SOMETIMES the radio and music media get it right. I DID and DO like grunge music, especially soundgarden, and they were popular, and Sabbath was recognized in their day, and there was some good popular 60s rock, so I won't say that what is popular is ALWAYS bad in my opinion.....But I think that about 75% of the time the music that makes hits on the radio and television is some of the worst music out there.

So...I just found that statement that since the music you like had hits on the charts in the 80s was proof that that was the last great age for metal and that it was all downhill from there as far as metal is concerned is anything but true.

I get it, you have strong opinions about the music you like and don't like, and so do, but at least I don't try to say the music I like is necessarily better than what others like and that everyone's opinion is subjective.

What I WILL say is that I think certain styles are not CURRENTLY considered metal, based on the foremost metal web authority The Metal Archives.....and while I don't think they get it right 100% of the time, I think they have a pretty good grasp on the current state of metal music.

Last edited:
Alice Cooper is OK, but shit on grunge all you want, I will listen to Soundgarden or Alice in Chains ANY DAY over any band you have listed.
You can say how "Grunge" was good for Rock but in no way can an emergence that killed it be considered a good thing for Rock. Looking at it in retrospect shows how devastating it truly was.The emergence of the alternative style stifled Rock's growth and continuance as a cultural force. I can't help but think how much Rock has become a caricature of itself as a result.
I really do believe 80's early 90s Hair/Heavy Metal was Rock's last good era. When Grunge/Alternative came into popularity circa 1992 and onward, the era of modern rock began. Rock has never been the same since then. From a composition standpoint the genre declined big time. I believe that this decline in compositional standards and overall musical content that occurred with the rise 90's alt rock era contributed to the declining popularity of rock music today, e.g. why so many young youths today prefer Rap, R&B, and Pop. The Rock genre had nothing astounding going on post 1992. The people that grew up in the 90's and later had no Led Zeppelin I, Disraeli Gears or Are You Experienced? of their own to make them go out and pick up an instrument and do better than what came before them. 1993 was the last year before Rock essentially died.

Sure the lyrical subjects of hair bands were rather shallow, concentrating on partying, drugs, and sex, but the music was kick-ass hard rock/heavy metal, pulling from influences such as Van Halen, Led Zeppelin, Kiss, and Black Sabbath. It was entertaining, exciting and made you feel good, versus the "I'm depressed and hate the world for no reason" message of Grunge.
Explain to me how grunge was any more creative than "hair" metal? Personally, Bret Michaels singing "Nothin' But a Good Time" - as derivative as that may be - is infinitely preferable to an unwashed, flannel-shirted Vedder bellowing his angst over recycled Sabbath/Zeppelin riffs. I just I miss the good highschool times rockin to crue and leppard..aerosmith..poison ..in the parking lot before class started.long live 80s/early 90s Heavy Metal. History speaks for itself. Right before grunge, Rock had one of the widest mass appeals at that point. It appealed to males, females and to all ages. Fact is "hair metal" lasted longer and was more successful than most other sub-genres in rock - that alone makes the detractors bitter and twisted. Plus most of the band members were better looking than those who constantly attack them!!

You can say how "Grunge" was good for Rock but in no way can an emergence that killed it be considered a good thing for Rock. Looking at it in retrospect shows how devastating it truly was.The emergence of the alternative style stifled Rock's growth and continuance as a cultural force. I can't help but think how much Rock has become a caricature of itself as a result.
I really do believe 80's early 90s Hair/Heavy Metal was Rock's last good era. When Grunge/Alternative came into popularity circa 1992 and onward, the era of modern rock began. Rock has never been the same since then. From a composition standpoint the genre declined big time. I believe that this decline in compositional standards and overall musical content that occurred with the rise 90's alt rock era contributed to the declining popularity of rock music today, e.g. why so many young youths today prefer Rap, R&B, and Pop. The Rock genre had nothing astounding going on post 1992. The people that grew up in the 90's and later had no Led Zeppelin I, Disraeli Gears or Are You Experienced? of their own to make them go out and pick up an instrument and do better than what came before them. 1993 was the last year before Rock essentially died.

Sure the lyrical subjects of hair bands were rather shallow, concentrating on partying, drugs, and sex, but the music was kick-ass hard rock/heavy metal, pulling from influences such as Van Halen, Led Zeppelin, Kiss, and Black Sabbath. It was entertaining, exciting and made you feel good, versus the "I'm depressed and hate the world for no reason" message of Grunge.
Explain to me how grunge was any more creative than "hair" metal? Personally, Bret Michaels singing "Nothin' But a Good Time" - as derivative as that may be - is infinitely preferable to an unwashed, flannel-shirted Vedder bellowing his angst over recycled Sabbath/Zeppelin riffs. I just I miss the good highschool times rockin to crue and leppard..aerosmith..poison ..in the parking lot before class started.long live 80s/early 90s Heavy Metal. History speaks for itself. Right before grunge, Rock had one of the widest mass appeals at that point. It appealed to males, females and to all ages. Fact is "hair metal" lasted longer and was more successful than most other sub-genres in rock - that alone makes the detractors bitter and twisted. Plus most of the band members were better looking than those who constantly attack them!!

Ok, listen, at this point you are repeating yourself and not listening to my opinion or the points I am making, so if you don't stop just repeating your opinions over and over and acknowledge my view point I am going to stop responding, because if you wanted to make this thread to have a discussion you can't have one without considering other opinions and you are not considering mine.

I will number my points:

1) First: Do you acknowledge that YOUR opinions are not necessarily FACTS, and really just your opinions, and that music and art are subjective?

2) Do you acknowledge when you make the first bolded statement that "compositional rock and metal declined big time" that there are TONS of metal and rock genres that have existed since the mid 90s YOU HAVE ZERO FAMILIARITY WITH TO BE ABLE TO CLAIM THAT?!!

(or at least I ASSUME so) you can let me know.

Answer this question: How familiar are you with black metal, melodic death metal, brutal death metal, grindcore, blackened-grindcore, sludge, the thrash revival in the late 90s to the modern day, Folk metal etc.???

Can you name a few key bands of some of these genres??

Because if you can't then you cannot claim that the composition of metal and rock bands has declined because you don't know of so much great stuff that is out there!!!

I can tell you one thing, I DON'T think the music I PERSONALLY LISTEN to, metal and otherwise, is inferior to what was released in the 80s, and it's not grunge music OR glam rock, and I bet you have never listened to any of it.

3) So MAYBE what you meant is ONLY that the composition of POPULAR music has declined? Music that makes hits on the radio and TV?

Is THAT what you meant and NOT that the quality of more underground music has declined?

If so, I mean, to SOME extent I guess you could possibly be correct, but then again I wouldn't know because 1) I don't listen to popular music and haven't listened to much of anything that has been on the chart since grunge made the charts in the 90s 2) I have never thought popular music was USUALLY very good, and that most of the time throughout history the music that has made the charts has been terrible.

If THAT is what you meant, well hell, I wouldn't say grunge killed "GOOD popular music" but that whatever style/styles they were that became popular AFTER grunge "killed good popular music", as the last popular music I WOULD consider good was in fact grunge in the mid 90s.

Finally:

4) Do you acknowledge that it is possible for music to be good and NOT popular, and that music being popular does not necessarily make it GOOD?

I mean, it would SEEM you would recognize that music being popular does NOT necessarily mean it is good cause grunge was popular and you didn't like it right?

But then you come right back and say that basically grunge killed all the good music in in the world when there was SOOO much good stuff that continued coming out and you just don't know about it cause it's not popular.

Do you think it is possible there might be TONS of good music that has continued to come out but you just don't know about it and that maybe grunge did NOT kill off all good metal/rock music but that good music continued to be made and you just know about it because you didn't look hard enough online and to research music that might be good but that was NOT popular or well known?

And finally: 5) Can you imagine the perspective someone like me might come from....where I think USUALLY (but NOT always), popular music and popular art is NOT good because I don't think most people have good taste???? LOL

I will admit, there WAS more music I PERSONALLY considered good that was popular from grunge on and earlier.....but AGAIN...FOR ME grunge was the last GOOD POPULAR music, NOT glam metal.

P.S. Please don't complain about other people calling the music you like "hair metal" cause you used that term in the actual TITLE of your own thread.

I have referred to it as glam rock/glam metal since you pointed it out to me, but you continue to call it "hair metal".

I remember this about you from another thread where i tried to kind of help you a bit with a situation you were dealing with, and seriously, you have a habit of not talking TO people but AT them...and I should know as I do this sometimes in real life but not much online.

You certainly have strong points of view, but they are weakened by your overall inability to address other perspectives, and makes talking to you frustrating, so if you don't acknowledge these points I've made here I'm going to stop responding soon.

Peace.

Last edited:
I mean maybe if I introduce you to some metal that I PERSONALLY consider great that has come out since 90s you might change your opinion that there isn't any good music anymore?

I don't like much glam metal but you like SOME stuff I think is good so maybe if you listen to some of following you'll reconsider and think that some good stuff HAS come out since the 90s. Out of the stuff you like it's POSSIBLE you MIGHT like some of this:

Eluveitie---Inis Mona (best folk-metal band out there!) THIS is composition in modern metal!!) from 2008:

One of all time favorites---Amorphis: Silver Bride from 2009:

My all time favorite song---Jotun by In Flames from 1997:

In Flames---Davids Disarm Their Goliaths from 1997:

Ensiferum: Hero in A Dream----from 2001

This is some of my favorite metal that exists, although I also like MUCH heavier stuff, but I figure you won't like that but MIGHT like some of this.

Please listen to at least some of it and acknowledge those last points I made or I'm probably not going to respond in this thread anymore cause there's no point.

I mean listen, if you simply want to write and not hear responses or respond to people then you can write blogs or online articles, but this is a thread you made.

Ok, listen, at this point you are repeating yourself and not listening to my opinion or the points I am making, so if you don't stop just repeating your opinions over and over and acknowledge my view point I am going to stop responding, because if you wanted to make this thread to have a discussion you can't have one without considering other opinions and you are not considering mine.

Bro, he's been copy/pasting shit from other forums pretty much this whole time. Most of his last post I found somewhere else from 2012... just a heads up.

Bro, he's been copy/pasting shit from other forums pretty much this whole time. Most of his last post I found somewhere else from 2012... just a heads up.

It's a "she", but ok, that's annoying.

I guess reposting stuff she wrote years ago and not other people?

That's weird though.

I will number my points:

1) First: Do you acknowledge that YOUR opinions are not necessarily FACTS, and really just your opinions, and that music and art are subjective?

2) Do you acknowledge when you make the first bolded statement that "compositional rock and metal declined big time" that there are TONS of metal and rock genres that have existed since the mid 90s YOU HAVE ZERO FAMILIARITY WITH TO BE ABLE TO CLAIM THAT?!!

(or at least I ASSUME so) you can let me know.

Answer this question: How familiar are you with black metal, melodic death metal, brutal death metal, grindcore, blackened-grindcore, sludge, the thrash revival in the late 90s to the modern day, Folk metal etc.???

Can you name a few key bands of some of these genres??

Because if you can't then you cannot claim that the composition of metal and rock bands has declined because you don't know of so much great stuff that is out there!!!

I can tell you one thing, I DON'T think the music I PERSONALLY LISTEN to, metal and otherwise, is inferior to what was released in the 80s, and it's not grunge music OR glam rock, and I bet you have never listened to any of it.

3) So MAYBE what you meant is ONLY that the composition of POPULAR music has declined? Music that makes hits on the radio and TV?

Is THAT what you meant and NOT that the quality of more underground music has declined?

If so, I mean, to SOME extent I guess you could possibly be correct, but then again I wouldn't know because 1) I don't listen to popular music and haven't listened to much of anything that has been on the chart since grunge made the charts in the 90s 2) I have never thought popular music was USUALLY very good, and that most of the time throughout history the music that has made the charts has been terrible.

If THAT is what you meant, well hell, I wouldn't say grunge killed "GOOD popular music" but that whatever style/styles they were that became popular AFTER grunge "killed good popular music", as the last popular music I WOULD consider good was in fact grunge in the mid 90s.

Finally:

4) Do you acknowledge that it is possible for music to be good and NOT popular, and that music being popular does not necessarily make it GOOD?

I mean, it would SEEM you would recognize that music being popular does NOT necessarily mean it is good cause grunge was popular and you didn't like it right?

But then you come right back and say that basically grunge killed all the good music in in the world when there was SOOO much good stuff that continued coming out and you just don't know about it cause it's not popular.

Do you think it is possible there might be TONS of good music that has continued to come out but you just don't know about it and that maybe grunge did NOT kill off all good metal/rock music but that good music continued to be made and you just know about it because you didn't look hard enough online and to research music that might be good but that was NOT popular or well known?

And finally: 5) Can you imagine the perspective someone like me might come from....where I think USUALLY (but NOT always), popular music and popular art is NOT good because I don't think most people have good taste???? LOL

I will admit, there WAS more music I PERSONALLY considered good that was popular from grunge on and earlier.....but AGAIN...FOR ME grunge was the last GOOD POPULAR music, NOT glam metal.

P.S. Please don't complain about other people calling the music you like "hair metal" cause you used that term in the actual TITLE of your own thread.

I have referred to it as glam rock/glam metal since you pointed it out to me, but you continue to call it "hair metal".

I remember this about you from another thread where i tried to kind of help you a bit with a situation you were dealing with, and seriously, you have a habit of not talking TO people but AT them...and I should know as I do this sometimes in real life but not much online.

You certainly have strong points of view, but they are weakened by your overall inability to address other perspectives, and makes talking to you frustrating, so if you don't acknowledge these points I've made here I'm going to stop responding soon.

Peace.
I just want to discuss about music with you. What i meant is ONLY that the composition of POPULAR music has declined? I guess i am emotionally hurt by what happened in the 90's. 80's/early 90' were such fun times to be alive and a fan of Heavy Metal music. Concerts were fun and wild. Compare the gutter shit that is popular today to " hair metal" bands, mumble rappers, boy bands and a bunch of social media sluts pretending to be Mariah Carey. It was a period when rock was good (for me anyway) and then by like 93 and on rock became depressing sounding with snarling growling singers who were depressed. I remember in my high school senior year openly despising the grunge bands with a passion. I admit that i have a habit of talking at people. Do you consider yourself elitist when it comes to metal? "For metal to be good, it should not sell more than 10 albums or else it becomes mainstream and mainstream is shit." - Every Metal Elitist ever! Metal elitists are pretty much hipsters. It's annoying. I love Glam metal, Heavy metal/NWOBHM, Pop metal and some Trash metal bands. Death metal doesn't appeal to me much. I have to be able to hear what the vocalist is singing. I tend to favor music with a stronger sense of melody, though I have nothing against death metal.

I just want to discuss about music with you. What i meant is ONLY that the composition of POPULAR music has declined? I guess i am emotionally hurt by what happened in the 90's. 80's/early 90' were such fun times to be alive and a fan of Heavy Metal music. Concerts were fun and wild. Compare the gutter shit that is popular today to " hair metal" bands, mumble rappers, boy bands and a bunch of social media sluts pretending to be Mariah Carey. It was a period when rock was good (for me anyway) and then by like 93 and on rock became depressing sounding with snarling growling singers who were depressed. I remember in my high school senior year openly despising the grunge bands with a passion. I admit that i have a habit of talking at people. Do you consider yourself elitist when it comes to metal? "For metal to be good, it should not sell more than 10 albums or else it becomes mainstream and mainstream is shit." - Every Metal Elitist ever! Metal elitists are pretty much hipsters. It's annoying. I love Glam metal, Heavy metal/NWOBHM, Pop metal and some Trash metal bands. Death metal doesn't appeal to me much. I have to be able to hear what the vocalist is singing. I tend to favor music with a stronger sense of melody, though I have nothing against death metal.

Ok I can understand the sentiment for you that that was a good time for music for you and you felt the grunge movement crushed it and that FOR YOU POPULAR music declined at that period, not necessarily ALL music. That makes sense.

Well, I don't generally like "metal elitists" and would generally not consider myself one, but I guess I do have some metal elitism in me to an extent as far as just very strong opinions about what is and isn't metal.

I don't think to be good a band can't be popular, not at all, but I OFTEN think what is popular is crap, mostly just cause I feel that way whether I know the music is popular or not, that it just happens to be the case, but I also just usually don't agree with popular taste in music.

It's possible for me to like music that is popular or unpopular music to be shit IMO.

Maybe check out a couple of those tracks though cause even though they have growling with most of them you CAN tell what the singer is singing and they are really good.

See if maybe you like the Amorphis track cause that has clean vocals or The Eluveitie track, and see if you dig the main riff on In Flames' Jotun because IMO you can't write better guitar melodies than on that song.

Ok I can understand the sentiment for you that that was a good time for music for you and you felt the grunge movement crushed it and that FOR YOU POPULAR music declined at that period, not necessarily ALL music. That makes sense.

Well, I don't generally like "metal elitists" and would generally not consider myself one, but I guess I do have some metal elitism in me to an extent as far as just very strong opinions about what is and isn't metal.

I don't think to be good a band can't be popular, not at all, but I OFTEN think what is popular is crap, mostly just cause I feel that way whether I know the music is popular or not, that it just happens to be the case, but I also just usually don't agree with popular taste in music.

It's possible for me to like music that is popular or unpopular music to be shit IMO.

Maybe check out a couple of those tracks though cause even though they have growling with most of them you CAN tell what the singer is singing and they are really good.

See if maybe you like the Amorphis track cause that has clean vocals or The Eluveitie track, and see if you dig the main riff on In Flames' Jotun because IMO you can't write better guitar melodies than on that song.
You disagree with most of the things i say in my posts but the one thing you must agree with me is that rockstars stopped acting like rockstars. And I don’t mean the whole stereotypical rockstar I mean that none of the new bands coming out have any personality. Jesus Christ you ever watch some of these musicians get interviewed? A brick wall has more personality than they do. Commercial Rock is dead. Its been dead. I don't know why people keep saying its coming back. People would rather go to a EDM concert. This generation of kids barely have any true popular rock Music.