Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Doctors taking recreational drugs ?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a registered nurse and have worked in the Qld public hospital system for 10 years.

I can honestly say that sleep deprivation, even moderately, has just as detrimental an effect on a person's memory, behaviour and ability to perform skills as drugs.

The way I see it, up here in the fabulous system we call Qld Health, the three issues affecting health professionals currently is sleep deprivation, excessive levels of stress and job dissatisfaction.

I've made two medication errors as a young nurse - both were because I was off my face from being, simply put, tired. Neither error was from me going out and partying (which I did then, and still do, but only, as others have said, on my days off) which are my business.

I remember one morning having the shakes and having blurred vision after 6 night duties in a row and drawing up the insulins for the morning shift (I don't sleep well during the day when I have night shifts, I average around about 3 hours a day).

Also found a lump in my breast one morning and was too late to call in sick, was hysterical basically and had to go to work. Calmed down by the time I got there but if you think I had my mind on the job think again. Also had to deal with a parent with cancer and go to work and ........... look after sick people! Again, for 5 months or so, was often spaced out and had to concentrate really hard at work. Took a lot of sick leave then.

In an ideal world, which we clearly don't live in, doctors, nurses, physios, OTs, and psychologists would be perfect, robotic human beings who never make errors, never get angry, never get emotional, never do anything wrong basically. Essentially, we are all human. And that's that. Also, other professionals have a lot of responsibility - air traffic controllors, pilots, bus drivers, mechanics, etc etc, do we apply the same logic to them?

The people I've worked with, doctors, allied health, other nurses - I may not have always liked them as people, but most of them are excellent professionals in their field and I would gladly choose them to look after me, if I were sick. If they took a pill every so often or had a few vodkas on their weekends, I certainly wouldn't have known it (and I'm sure at least some of them have).

keej said:
I'm a little confused. In one post you talk about studying the effects of drugs on the brain for a unit (ie. ONE SUBJECT in a semester), then you talk about having studied the area meticulously for a year. So what is it, did you study neuroscience/neuropharmacology for one unit or were there another 5-7 subjects you studied dealing with the impact of drugs on the brain?

Further to that, passing a subject at university hardly qualifies one as an expert on any subject. First of all, the subject might have trash for content (as many do). Second, it really isn't hard to pass typical undergrad subjects.

You're also overdramatizing this entire issue. You've ignored the point that many people have made in that there's no evidence of widespread drug use in the day or two preceding medical work. The discussions about holes in the brain and such have been widely argued against, meaning they shouldn't be taken as indisputable facts (and thus can't help you win your argument).

How fucking dare you. Why are people putting words in my mouth. I never said anything that anyone is accusing me of. I never said I knew it meticulously. Ihave done more than one unit.

Get fucked keej.

get fucked all of you.

Just as an edit - did anyone ever see the show the Surgeon last year? Was a good show and in one episode depicted an anaesthetist who was a drug addict who made an error during surgery.

It has to be said there are definitely some professions where you would prefer the person to abstain from drugs and alcohol and that's probably one of them.

This is a good thread, it would be a pity if people got upset over it, I am finding it really interesting to think about this stuff after all these years.

This isn't going anywhere, and breakyaself is about to have a stroke.

Closing, not open to discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.