Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Death - Where do we go from here...

katmeow

Bluelight Crew
Death - Is it really the end of the line?

Over the last few years, I've experienced the death of a couple of close family members and I guess it has made me a hell of a lot more curious about people's personal reactions and thoughts on death.

So... I thought I'd pose the question of what you believe happens once we die. Ghosts, reincarnation, heaven, hell, absolutely zip?? Tell me what you think.

What has influenced your theory? Religious/cultural beliefs, friends, family, personal experience (near death experiences/coma etc)?

*~*~*~*~*~*

Personally, I'd love to believe that our souls somehow go on and meet up with everyone whose died before us, but there seems little evidence to support this (tho maybe once you get there you can't communicate with everyone stuck back here =D ). I hold no religious beliefs and don't feel that heaven/hell exists. No eternal damnation for moi!

In a conversation with a friend recently, they said they thought that in the moment that you die, you enter a dream state that for you seems eternal (as time in dreams seems not to run as time does in real life). So therefore the second in which you die can just be a continuous dream for eternity.

Sounds fairly plausible to me!!

curious kat ;)

Obviously not taking into consideration any pain associated with the death
I think it will be just like going to sleep but you don't wake up. :\

h@ndo said:
Obviously not taking into consideration any pain associated with the death
I think it will be just like going to sleep but you don't wake up. :\

I agree, though I'd like to think something more happens.

I don't know about the whole concept of "heaven" and "hell" it seems too basic. I've read somewhere that a lot of people "in the know" about this type of shit (though how could anyone really know about it if they're alive?) claim that there is an in-between world prior to heaven and above hell. This place is pretty much a place very much like earth which makes me think that perhaps the notion of reincarnation isn't as silly as it might seem. Not the kind where people come back as animals, more so where people come back as other people in an endless cycle and there is no recollection of a previous life. As much as I think we will just "go to sleep and never wake up" i'll run with the whole reincarnation thing hoping that death has more to offer than sleeping for an eternity.

He who is going to be a magician will recognize that life is dependant on the work of the elements [Fire, water, air, earth and Akasha] in the various planes and spheres. It is to be seen in great and small things, in the microcosm as well as in the macrocosm, temporally and eternally, every-where there are powers in action. Starting from this point of cognition, you will find out there is no death at all, in the true sense of the word, but everything goes on living, transmuting and becoming perfect according to primitive laws. Therefore a magician is not afraid of death, for he believes the physical death to be only a transition to a subtler sphere, the astral plane, and from there to the spiritual level and so on.

Consequently he will neither believe in heaven nor hell. The priests of the various religions stick to these fancies to keep their kids to the point. Their moralizing serves only to provoke fear of the hell or the purgatory and to promise heaven to morally good people. Average people as far as they are religiously inclined, are favourably influenced by such a point of view, for, from fear of hell, they will try to be good.

[Description and colour added; p_d]

my bf mentioned the same idea as you the other day katmeow. and its entirely plausible to me.

cos our consciousness can be seperate from our bodies. and when our body fails, that continues on.

in terms of being aware of the "living world" i think its also like when ur dreaming, or on nangs, u know its there, but it doesnt affect u in the same way. you just dont care so much.

i think theres too much "evidence" to disprove the idea that there is absolutely nothing. just like the whole alien thing. too many stars out there to not be true.

my views just developed over time listening to my parents and friends in discussion and all that. plus reading HEAPS of books about the paranormal etc.

If you have seen the movie "what dreams may come" this is how i feel about life after death :)

Basically that heaven is big enough to have your own piece of it because everyones idea of heaven is of course different :)

Well it makes me happy thinking that anyway *spot the romantic idealist* :p

;)

Spot on doofqueen. Heaven, or at least the astral resting place, will be as you imagine it to be. The important thing is to do just that. Imagine what you think it will be like, and so you'll have a mental picture from which to set your stage.

That which is above is also that which is below - Hermes Trismegistos

"In a conversation with a friend recently, they said they thought that in the moment that you die, you enter a dream state that for you seems eternal (as time in dreams seems not to run as time does in real life). So therefore the second in which you die can just be a continuous dream for eternity."

This is a nice idea however it works on the premise that your brain is still working in an orderly manner after your body ceases to function. What if you get massive head injuries from explosives or what not? I find it pretty implausible that it could still function well enough to create a dreamstate. I feel its pretty dependant on the brain working in an orderly manner for this theory to hold up. So, if you subscribe to this belief, some people have an afterlife and some don't, dependant on the way you die. But that said, how long can your brain survive after the rest of your body has ceased functioning?

Surely it can't be that long. I know time is altered in dreams but not to the extent that a few minutes could feel like an eternity. And whatever this eternity is would be entirely dependant on all the information already contained in your mind. No NEW information could enter your enternity, just reworkings of everything that is already in there (if you believe new information could enter, where could it come from?)

I'm a skeptic by nature and find the various theories on afterlife to be created in a search to find a meaning for the human life which, essentially, has no meaning. I believe in the theory of evolution. As humans we have developed a unique capacity for self consciousness, where we can reflect on and analyse our own behaviour which places us out of the environmental forces of evolution, and puts evolution into our own hands (which is kinda scary).

Given this extraordinary capacity of consciousness we have, we have the ability to THINK about a meaning and therefore believe there must be one. We are so unique compared to all the other creatures, so, we MUST be special right?

*enter theories about the meaning of life*

For me, life has no meaning. We live, we die and it all amounts to nothing. I am comforted by this fact whereas for others, it scares the hell out of them. What makes life absurd is the intensity with which we approach it with, juxtaposed to the lack of an overarching meaning.

If there is no afterlife then you can have no regrets about life. Is it strange for this to comfort me? DYING scares me more than death. Dying is a painful process whilst still living. The transition into death is what scares me more than death itself.

Adikkal

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

this is how i pretty much feel about death.

i have always felt like we are just another animal, another species that inhabits this little planet, but we just happen to be the smartest..and like every other creature, we get born, we live then we die. full stop. no reincarnation, no heaven or hell...we just die.

i think death will be like sleep, we aren't there, we are just a body, our mind although functioning, is not working like it does in everyday life....death i think will be like going to sleep but your mind shutting down completely.

i know its a tad pezzamistic (sp?) but i just cant bring myself to believe in heaven etc. its always been a belief of mine that i control my own life, that no one "above" me knows every move i make before i make it and has a "set path" for me. i think that if i believed in that i would be a weaker person just because i didnt believe i had control of my own life. this is just my opinion however, i respect people that do believe in religious stuff, and life after death stuff....sometimes it helps to believe in something, but for me i just can't seem to grasp a concept of a heaven or hell.

see i dont believe in heaven or hell and all that. and i'm not afraid of death. like addikal said, dying is scary.

but i also firmly believe that everything happens for a reason. and our small and insignificant lives still contribute somewho to the fate of the universe.
and yes i believe in fate. but not in the way that everyone else thinks. i dont think we will ever see our fate, or we should. therefore we are powerless to avoid it. and that doesnt mean being a slackass in life cos you still have to live . there are just too many coincidences.
read "the hitchikers guide to the galaxy".....our entire universe is coincidence and probability.

To the extent of my personal observation and my education to date, I believe death is the end. I'm glad however to have existed and played my little part.

"In the end you may find there's no guiding subtle light,
No friend or ancestors, no judge of wrong and right,
Just eternal silence and dormancy,
And a final everlasting peace"

- Bad Religion

Shouldn't this be in the thoughts forum? Oh well...

The end, thank christ, I think that when you die you have one last pleasent dream that slowly fades, as you do...

I think i'm too scared of death to formulate an opinion against the afterlife.
That's just me.
:\

I'm still scared od death even though i believe that we all go to heaven (those that desrve a place anyhway ;) )

I believe in recarnationj aswell and that we just keep recycling our earth bodies so that our soul will fit if we have made too many mistakes or not learnt enough from lifes lessons.

I'm just scared of death because i feel MAYBE i won't be able to see my son and his kids and partake in his life when i'm dead. Same goesd to friends and family aswell..

i have many theories on death and the afterlife...

too much detail to go into here though....

so ask me if u see me in #bluelight or if u eva see me out...

but in a nutshell, we all come back.....

I believe that once we die we die. That's it. No heaven/hell.

But I also believe that we live on in the way we've contributed to society and also our children carry a part of us. So yes I believe that this is a meaning of our lives, to bring up children and contribute to society. We are humanity and even though individual persons are dying humanity still lives on. Achieve all you are capable of and you'll immortalize yourself.

As for heaven/hell theory... I think that possibly if you lived your life in a way that you didn't think was right then you'll have a feeling in your dying moment that you wasted your life. That is your own personal hell, knowing that your life was wasted with no purpose. If you are satisfied with how you lived then you go to "heaven".

way too lazy to even begin reading all of this, or to try to put my ideas down, but if anyone ever meets me, bring it up, I have a few interesting theories.

About 2 months ago i had a dream in which i got stabbed in the heart with a dagger.
As i slumped onto my knees, my train of thought was was "awwww it hurts"
Then: "I'm not going to live through this"
And lastly: "I'm dying, DYING!!!!!".
There was no bright light, no angel, no grim reaper, no dream like state, just faded into blackness.

After waking up from that dream it made me do some serious pondering. If in death there is nothing, then i would never be reunited with my loved ones again and what my religious upbringing taught me was a load of shit. Now because i'm Catholic, i HAVE to believe in a heaven and hell, and everything that comes along with it because thats whats written in the bible and that's what Jesus said, so on....so forth, So i never had to give it any consideration, the thinking was done for me.

Now i'm not so sure, about religion and death in general, i'm going through one of those stages again. A few weeks ago, dad and I were watching Unsolved Mysteries. They ran a stroy on some a little girl who claims that she could/can see and talk to ghosts. At the end of the story my dad says: "This stuff always seems to happen in America and England, what a load of shit, its' not true".
I don't know what made me say it but i came back with "Yeah, well you seem to believe in a man who once walked on water and turned water into wine" He didn't say anything after that, i guess he was doing some thinking himself.

Ever since the dream and the conversation with dad, i'm finding it hard to comprehend in my mind that there is such a thing as God and a heaven and i'm starting find it all irrational and absurd.

doofqueen said:
I'm still scared od death even though i believe that we all go to heaven (those that desrve a place anyhway ;) )

Not me baby, I'm bound for the lakes of fire :)

SHIT!
I fucking wrote all this shite and then my beautiful computer decided to die.
Ah well.
Basically, it's only until recently that i've had skeptical thoughts about life (specifically the afterlife but still :)).
Although I still feel a little blasphemous talking about stuff... even saying this... AHHH I'M GOING TO HELL!
=D
Anyway, I was reading some scientific magazine (Scientific American Mind.. i'm still appauled they can call a scientific journal "Scientific American", but that's beside the point) and I read a little bit of info I found interesting that I thought I might add to this thread.
It said "Early natural philosophers speculated that our brains contained a homunculus, a kernel of self-awareness not unlike the soul that was the irruductible core of our self. This "little person" looked out through our eyes and listened thorugh our ears and somehow made sense of the universe. Neuroscientists ejected the homunculus from our heads, however. The circuitry of our brains does not all converge on one point where the essence of our ourselves can sit and ruminate."
It goes on to state that our state of consciencous is made of a number of nueral connections etc.
I just though it might be interesting to add this to our little discussion...
That is all.
=D
PEACE