Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Books you loved when you were younger

i too was a sucker for Enid Blyton's "the faraway tree" series
then....sadly...later on i was right into the goosebumps books
i also enjoyed the Mr men books, Roald Dahl books (particularly "the twits"), and who could forget Grug!

^^^ Ohhh!!! GRUG! I loved that little bugger =D

Actually if we're going back that far, we can't neglect to mention the inimitable, iconic Mr Men series. ;)

i never really read much as a little tucker but when i did the books i can look back on and still bring a smile to my face are:

*Spot series
*where the fuck is wally series
*anything that poped up
*mr men series
*and strangly enough an animated bible i used to own (Im an aethiest)
and many others that allready been mentioned

David Eddings.......

Started reading him when I was in year 5... Got through the Belgariad, Mallorean, then onto the Elenium and then the Tamuli. And then for good measure his first ever book 'High Hunt'.

That was like 20 full size novels before I even hit high school.

It's kind of sad that I just don't have time to read anymore.

In chronological order:
Enid Blyton
Judy Blume (I still have my well read and autographed copy of Are You There God It's Me Margaret)
Lois Duncan.

After that significant titles that come to mind are And The Ass Saw the Angel by Nick Cave and H by Christiane F.

God these bring back memories!

Christopher Pike: He was, and is, a god. Great stories with a spiritual/wierd arse twist. And also the only author to actually scare me. He had a book for adults about a trip to Mars, and if anyone has read it (which you should), the bit about the eyes freaked me out. Legend. :)

Complete, utter mental blank, but she wrote The Vampire Diaries, The Secret Circle...books that i Still read every so often now. AArgh, I can't remember!

Sweet valley: university, High, a few Twins.

John Marsden: Read Tomorrow for shcool, and absolutely loved it. Still holds a lot of power today, especially given the current worls situation.

The Babysitters Club: I once vowed that I'd never read them, but I got hooked. Sigh.

Enid Blyton: Mainly the Famous Five. I wanted to be George ( I think she was my idea of a feminist as a kid :)), but the Enchanted forest etc

Where the Wild Things Are, The Hungry Little Caterpillar, Spot, Where's Wally (the tv show was strangely addictive, too),

Percival the Cat (the first book I ever read by myself, but I kept forgetting how to say Percival. Ironically, I was about five at the time, and had just been watching Predator, the day my parents brought that book home.)

So so many more, butI can't remember. Sigh. Those were the days!

As previously mentioned :

The Folk of the Faraway Tree

Baby Sitters Club

OH and Clifford the Big Red Dog :p

aww, yeah judy blume books were the best!!

and a a milne's winnie the pooh books, i read them over and over again

i used to have sooo many of the books mentioned, i just want to go out and buy them all again!

a older family friend once gave me like 30 dolly fiction books and i think i must have read them all at least once, they were great!! total fluff, but fun!

i used to have a book called 'the magic boat' i think by tom someone, but a woman really wrote it using a mans name. it was absolutely amazing, it had all these movable pictures and stuff, it was incredible

and did anyone have a book 'ticki ticki tembo'?? or something?? about a boy who falls down a well?? i remember it was my absolute favourite book when i was little, aah to be little again :)

One of my most treasured posessions was my bound set of Ursula Le Guin's Earthsea trilogy (Wizard of Earthsea, Tombs of Atuan, The Farthest Shore) which then became a quartet with the release of Tehanu as I entered adulthood. Its worth noting I n=had teachers for parents so it wasn't as if books were a rarity. To have been so precious to me speaks testament to the rocken' read, but also to an important role it played in shaping my whole worldview. (Even at 8 I was using books to wonder and wish for worlds of wonder and wisdom. Still doing it - SF and well-constructed fantasy Rocks!)
She's a wicked %) world-weaver. But it must be challenging for really established and respected authors for adults to produce work that is intelligent, inventive, and ideas-inspiring books for younger readers
Oh, "The Lorax" is heaps cool and in general Dr Seuss Rocked (I still enjoy the lorax in particular)
And that book is linked in my mind to Bill Peet's "The Wumps" Another crucial contribution to my conciousness 8) , although the wumps is pretty bleak about hope for humanity for change:( 8( . Beaut boook, but!

roy g biv said:
and did anyone have a book 'ticki ticki tembo'?? or something?? about a boy who falls down a well?? i remember it was my absolute favourite book when i was little, aah to be little again :)

"Ticki ticki tembo no sarembo chari bari ruchi pip berri pembo... has fallen into the well!" =D

Yes I remember this book! I actually remember sitting on the scratchy carpet in our old school library while the teacher read it to us. I must have been about 7!

The wonderful thing about books; that thing that is unique to them, is how they can instantly conjure up memories and feelings of times and places. I'll bet you remember where you read your favourite books, what your room looked like, how old you were. That's why I love them so much :)

Strawberry_lovemuffin said:
* I read the whole of Virgina Andrew's "Flowers in the Attic" series by the age of 13 .... found them in the library and got hooked. Thank god mum never knew their "adult" nature!

Omg, how many of us did that!! Add me to the list, hehe.

Other childhood classics :

* Charlie and the chocolate factory

* Fantastic Mr. Fox

* The neverending story {edit--> onetwothreefour another person who know's the joys of this wonderous book!}

* Wuthering Heights

* The secret garden

* Enid Blyton in all forms

* Clan of the cave bear series {edit--> how could I forget this!! Read it in year 7 and 8 too..man, we must have been freaky kids?}

* Dean Koontz {edit--> most of my year 8 was spent cowering in fear from these books, hehe}

I'm sure more will come with time...~awaits edits~

Last edited:
I was a nerd.. still am ;) I have always loved a good book and read them like there was no tomorrow.
A few favourites:
*anything Judy Blume!!!
*John Marsden books
*The Magic Faraway series
*Anything to do with Dancing

The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, first read it when i was 4 and its still, by a long shot, the best book ever.

other than Infinite Jest by D.F.Wallace, and Gravity's Rainbow by Pynchon, but those treats are for adults

other than that, when i was young - R.A. Lafferty, P.K. Dick, Solzhenytsin, Theodore Sturgeon, Jack Vance, Bradbury, Heinlein, Robinson Crusoe, Jack London, Dickenson, Bulgakov, Vinge, Orson Scott Card, Asimov, Douglas Adams, you get the picture.

Last edited:
I loved the Goosebump books ..w000t

i had the first 40 or so... i was around 10 - 13

Was "Where the wild things are" that book that was made using collages of different stuff? Was that the book where the kid and his dad go to an island on a speed boat and imagine dinosaurs and stuff?

All those magic faraway tree books rocked (we had these big versions that had sick animations on every page)... Oh yeah and what is it with British childrens writers and the names Dick and Fanny?

Dragonlance chronicles and tales

I recently read these books again and loved them just as much as when i was 14.
Raistlin and Tasslehoff,i love those 2 characters
=D

i enjoyed reading
*Goosebumps
*Tommorow when the war begun series (i still don't know how everything has turned out)
*adventure books
*John Marsden stories

En_warp said:

*Tommorow when the war begun series (i still don't know how everything has turned out)

oh my fucking god!!! you have to read them to the end.. fucking mad books!!!