Phenibut, GABA, and HGH

FlawedByDesign

Bluelighter
I was an avid lifter in my late teens until my drug use caused me to take a 5 year hiatus. I've been going hard in the paint for the last few months and have been taking phenibut at night to help with my insomnia which really helps my recovery. A couple days ago I found some articles saying phenibut affects your HGH which was news to me. My question is would GABA have these same effects since they're almost the same thing? Or would it's inability to cross the BBB negate these effects?

Last edited:
Despite the BBB issue, GABA still has a significant positive impact (+400-500% at 3g) on GH release, both at rest and post-training:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18091016

That's interesting CFC, I'd always thought GABA supplementation was pointless due to its inability to pass the blood brain barrier. I found this:

The mechanism by which GABA affects growth hormone and prolactin secretion is unknown. The amino acid might act directly on the hypothalamic neurons responsible for controlling growth hormone and prolactin secretion or indirectly by interfering with the activity of other neurotransmitters.
Important GABA-dopamine interactions have been demonstrated in the central nervous system (Perez de La Mora & Fuxe 1977; Cheramy et al. 1977; Giorguieff et al. 1978 ).

In particular, it has been suggested that GABA may control dopamine release from dopaminergic terminals by a dual mechanism: when acting at low concentrations or on resting dopaminergic neurons, GABA may facilitate dopamine release while it may prevent dopamine output when acting at high concentrations or on activated dopaminergic pathways (Cheramy et al. 1977).

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7376786

I wonder how much GABA induced GH release could influence skeletal muscle hypertrophy (if at all)..

Interesting paper GF. I remember reading a more recent one that speculated GABA works because the BBB isn't uniform and some parts are more accessible than others, not that I can find it right now.

At anything over 3g I find the dizzy suffocating rush side-effect a bit too much to bear! As part of a GH-booster with glycine, glutamine and my GHRPs I nod off to sleep quickly though. The fact it may counter stimulation from caffeine also hints at some potential to cross BBB, or at least a bit more than just the PNS anyway.

As for muscle gain, not really sure it would raise IGF-1 enough to be noticeable? As a generic overall health booster it probably has efficacy.

Interesting paper GF. I remember reading a more recent one that speculated GABA works because the BBB isn't uniform and some parts are more accessible than others, not that I can find it right now.

At anything over 3g I find the dizzy suffocating rush side-effect a bit too much to bear! As part of a GH-booster with glycine, glutamine and my GHRPs I nod off to sleep quickly though. The fact it may counter stimulation from caffeine also hints at some potential to cross BBB, or at least a bit more than just the PNS anyway.

As for muscle gain, not really sure it would raise IGF-1 enough to be noticeable? As a generic overall health booster it probably has efficacy.

No point me getting excited GABA is banned here in NZ..

I encountered positive gain s from phenibut as a jacked 24 ur old. Horny, dangerously confident, thick and juicy

I used gaba for two years back thirteen years ago as Ive seen that growth hormone study. I recently bought some and been taking about 2-3 grams before bed and maybe thoughtout the day and it feels like im on xanax, like it instantly seems to melt away my cares. Its been a few days since I started it and mellows me out.

Ive been diagnosed with adhd at 14 years old (35 now) and dont take any medicines for it, but ive heard adhd people may show reduced gaba levels and thats the reason I recently bought it, that and I want great sleep

I knew NZ authorities were harsh, but that's OTT.

There are much easier ways to make GBL/GHB than with the use of gaba if I'm not mistaken. Not sure why they would ban gaba supplements.

In my experience(young and dumb) I took way too much of the stuff and had the respiratory feelings like I OD'd on opiates. It was a strange feeling.

There are much easier ways to make GBL/GHB than with the use of gaba if I'm not mistaken. Not sure why they would ban gaba supplements.

In my experience(young and dumb) I took way too much of the stuff and had the respiratory feelings like I OD'd on opiates. It was a strange feeling.

Enlighten me...

I always felt the BBB issue was overblown. Not only are different parts susceptible to different things (if I understand CFC's post above, and I'm not sure I do) but different individuals surely have varying dura maters that let in different things depending on amount at the doorstep so to speak and other variables.