• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

Songs that AINT about drugs, that you think secretly ARE about drugs

Khadijah

Bluelight Crew
sometthin that flacky said in the "you know you a junkie when...." made me think of this thread. We had both mentioned that "you know you a junkie when you hear songs that realistically , you do know they aint about drugs at all, but you relate almost every song you hear to dope anyways and you just "know" that its secretly about dope/addiction."

This thread AINT about songs that ARE about drugs. If you come up in this thread and post "Heroin, by the velvet underground" you are totally missin the point and you are doinitwrong. Its about regular songs, that most likely aint about addiction or dope or drugs or w/ever...but the junkie in you sees references to drugs in everything, and you associate the song with your addiction or drug use.

So, post the songs and the SPECIFIC LYRICS that you think are "secretly'' about dope/addiction/drugs. Ill start with a few examples so yall understand wat i am talking about.

Example #1 -

The song "Follow me" by that one hit wonder guy Uncle cracker from like 2001.
It goes "I dont know how i met you i dont know why/but i just cant turn around and say goodbye/all i know is when im with you, you make me free/and you swim thru my veins like a fish in the sea/singin 'follow me everything is all right/ill be the one to tuck you in at night/and if you wanna leave i can guarantee you wont find nobody else like me.""

Tell me that shit aint about dope! :D Come on...But i think that if you told that to any 'normal' person they would be like you stupid...that shits a love song.

Example #2 -

"I want to break free" by Queen. (LOL let me explain...I worked at a place where the radio reception sucked, and the only station we got was the classic rock channel so i learned to love some of those songs becuz its all i heard everyday.)

The lyrics that seemed to me to be about bein addicted to dope goes like this...
"I want to break free...I want to break free/I want to break free from your lies youre so self satisfied I dont need you/I want to break free/ God knows, god knows I want to break free....
part of the verse is "I fallen in love...I fallen in love for the first time, this time i know its for real....."
And my favorite part..."But life still goes on...I cant get used to livin without, livin without, livin without you/By my side/I dont wanna live alone/But god knows/ I got to make it on my own"

Everytime i heard it i always privately made it be a song about my addiction , a song TO addiction, like 'hey fuck you i gotta get outta this life' But, Im 100% sure that aint wat the song is really about. its just wat its about to ME.
Those aint the only ones but I dont want this first post to be too long. I dont think im the only one who does this, imagine non drug songs to be about drugs cuz of course when you a junkie everything is a bout dope, every person you see goin into the bathroom who looks slightly sick is a junkie goin to shoot up, etc, so I hope this thread gets some good replies. I would love to see the other songs that my fellow feens uncovered "secret dope meanings" in;)

Last dance with Mary Jane by Tom petty. Seems obvious but in an interview he said it was about a relationship so who knows!

^ yea and john lennon said lucy in the sky with diamonds was about some picture his kid drew.. 8)

"BBK" - korn

something like "night, so i play. give me a sign, this is gay. give me some guidance, so i pray. give me a sign, is this what i want." - reminds me of partying to escape i guess

also

"where did you sleep last night" - kurt cobain is the ver. i like (originally by leadfoot i think)

something like " my girl, my girl dont lie to me, tell me where did you sleep last night. in the pines, in the pines, where the sun dont ever shine. i would shiver the whole night through" - my girl is opiates

Last edited:
We're In This Together - Nine Inch Nails

I think it really captures the desperation and chaos of a psychological addiction. The point where you have resigned your fate to the whims of drug dealers and cops. The point where you say to yourself, "just keep going and fuck everything."

Some excerpts:

I've become impossible(the impossible lifestyle of an addict)
Holding on to when
When everything seemed to matter more
(memories of when things weren't so fucked up)
The two of us
All used and beaten up
Watching fate as it flow down the path we
Have chose
(again, resigning yourself to a full time heroin addiction)

You and me
We're in this together now
None of them can stop us now
We will make it through somehow
You and me
If the world should break in two
Until the very end of me
Until the very end of you
(etc.)

The farther I fall I'm beside you
As lost as I get I will find you
The deeper the wound I'm inside you
For ever and ever I'm a part of
(it's sad, eventually most people lose their own personality and the drug defines you almost completely)

Maybe a little far fetched but I use to listen to this song and liken it to my situation so much. It personifies heroin to me.

Also, Hurt by Nine Inch Nails may or may not be about drugs. There has been speculation, but Trent hasn't confirmed or denied as far as I know.

The line, "The needle tears a hole..." sometimes gives me chills.

"where did you sleep last night" - kurt cobain

something like " my girl, my girl dont lie to me, tell me where did you sleep last night. in the pines, in the pines, where the sun dont ever shine. i would shiver the whole night through" - my girl is opiates

Brilliant example, as that's an old folk song :)

I'll try to think of some, but I usually have the opposite problem ('There She Goes' and 'A Shot in the Arm' were about drugs?)

Brain stew by Green Day

Billy Joe Armstrong claims about his son, but it has to be about his meth addiction.

Soundgarden: spoon man

Sublime: badfish i still to this day think when he is asking "are you a badfish to?" he is asking if you shoot dope "lord knows im weak wont somebody get me off of this reef?" wont somebody help me with this addiction etc.

to the poster above me you might be thinking of geek stink breath which is certainly about crystal meth.

to the poster above me you might be thinking of geek stink breath which is certainly about crystal meth.

I know geek stink breath is about meth, as he says so on the lyrics:

"I'm blowing off steam with methamphetamine."

If you look at the lyrics for brain stew, also on the album Insomniac (which is in large about his struggles with addiction, hence the name Insomniac) they totally point towards meth. Like this:

"My eyes feel like they're gonna bleed
Dried up and bulging out my skull.
My mouth is dry
My face is numb
Fucked up and spun out in my room"

Haha I don't know how this could be about anything but meth - he even says he is spun. I rest my case ;)

coconut records - nighttiming

cuz youve been nighttiming babay ffafaffafafaaaaaa

Soundgarden: spoon man

Sublime: badfish i still to this day think when he is asking "are you a badfish to?" he is asking if you shoot dope "lord knows im weak wont somebody get me off of this reef?" wont somebody help me with this addiction etc.

yea...well if it is certainly about crystal meth it dont belong in this thread;) Remember this is a thread for songs that AINT ABOUT DRUGS....but that you still read drug meaning into.

Another example for me that i KNOW aint about drugs and is about a relationship and a girl whose cheatin, is Hope (It was originally by the descendants but i think of it as a sublime song.)

"How can you say you torture me, you already thinkin bout someone else. when he comes home youll be in his arms and ill be gone, but i know.
My day will come.
I know some day, Ill be the only one.

so now you wait for a spark you know it will turn you on
hes gonna make you feel, the way you wanna feel

when he starts to lie, when he makes you cry
you know ill be there, my day will come
i know someday ill be the only one.

Call me selfish call me wat you like i think its right.
To want someone for all your own and not to share their love.
But ill have my way, you dont stand a chance anyways
cuz i got you....you dont stand a chance.

you say you want perfection, i see your self destruction
you dont know wat you want, its gonna take you years to find out.
Im not givin up
and when you had enough youll take your bruised little head and youll come runnin back to me
I know that im gonna be the only one...."

When i first started bootin dope again and gettin heavy into shit, goin out and coppin with other people and hangin out and never havin time for my man no more, he really got upset....We had been together mad long, 5 years, it wasnt no little bullshit thing. he started seein me pullin away and gettin kinda sucked under, u feel me...and i knew it was tearin him up inside...eventually he dropped the bomb on me and was like yo i cant do this no more, you just fuckin yourself up and i cant stand to be right here watchin in the front row seats not able to do nothing about it.

that song always made me think of my 'relationship' with dope vs my real relationship with my man.

I felt like the point of view the song was from , was the view of my addiction. Tellin me oh dont worry. I know you go be with him for now. I know you hide me when he comes home and lie to him and pretend like you aint with me. But im your secret, and I know that one day Ima be the only one left. look how u ruined everything with him, u really think he gonna stick with you. no chance in hell. You know it and i know it that ima be the only one left , and when hes gone ill be the one you turn to for relief so ill just wait here bidin my time cuz you aint got no chance and I know you gonna be mine eventually.

The only part that dont fit is the one part where it goes 'now u wait for a spark you know it will turn you on, hes gonna make you feel the way you wanna feel"...I kinda saw that as my man gettin in just his one chance at sayin somethin. Like "i know that you say you love me but i see how you get when you on dope when you talk about dope....you love that shit. Thats the shit that you really love not me." and for those 2 lines it switched over to his thoughts.

Shit always made me feel guilty as fuck. That was always a favorite one of mine when i would get in a fight with him and then go drive to go cop and get high. :(

Im so glad i can say that we made it thru that shit and got a kid on the way and we are both clean and happy and more in love than ever these days. but you wouldnt know it from that post so I just didnt want yall to think that the story ended in a sad way. :)

lynkin park crawling in my skin
i always thought this song was about meth or something. These two guys just look like they get into all that wierd stuff. lol

I know geek stink breath is about meth, as he says so on the lyrics:

"I'm blowing off steam with methamphetamine."

If you look at the lyrics for brain stew, also on the album Insomniac (which is in large about his struggles with addiction, hence the name Insomniac) they totally point towards meth. Like this:

"My eyes feel like they're gonna bleed
Dried up and bulging out my skull.
My mouth is dry
My face is numb
Fucked up and spun out in my room"

Haha I don't know how this could be about anything but meth - he even says he is spun. I rest my case ;)

now that you mention it, brain stew was like back to back with that fast paced song, almost like brain stew is coming down and the next song he got a nice hit and went on....intriguing

btw i <3 me some old green day, i tihk they lost it after insomniac though. fucking sell outs.

yea...well if it is certainly about crystal meth it dont belong in this thread;) Remember this is a thread for songs that AINT ABOUT DRUGS....but that you still read drug meaning into.

Another example for me that i KNOW aint about drugs and is about a relationship and a girl whose cheatin, is Hope (It was originally by the descendants but i think of it as a sublime song.)

"How can you say you torture me, you already thinkin bout someone else. when he comes home youll be in his arms and ill be gone, but i know.
My day will come.
I know some day, Ill be the only one.

so now you wait for a spark you know it will turn you on
hes gonna make you feel, the way you wanna feel

when he starts to lie, when he makes you cry
you know ill be there, my day will come
i know someday ill be the only one.

Call me selfish call me wat you like i think its right.
To want someone for all your own and not to share their love.
But ill have my way, you dont stand a chance anyways
cuz i got you....you dont stand a chance.

you say you want perfection, i see your self destruction
you dont know wat you want, its gonna take you years to find out.
Im not givin up
and when you had enough youll take your bruised little head and youll come runnin back to me
I know that im gonna be the only one...."

When i first started bootin dope again and gettin heavy into shit, goin out and coppin with other people and hangin out and never havin time for my man no more, he really got upset....We had been together mad long, 5 years, it wasnt no little bullshit thing. he started seein me pullin away and gettin kinda sucked under, u feel me...and i knew it was tearin him up inside...eventually he dropped the bomb on me and was like yo i cant do this no more, you just fuckin yourself up and i cant stand to be right here watchin in the front row seats not able to do nothing about it.

that song always made me think of my 'relationship' with dope vs my real relationship with my man.

I felt like the point of view the song was from , was the view of my addiction. Tellin me oh dont worry. I know you go be with him for now. I know you hide me when he comes home and lie to him and pretend like you aint with me. But im your secret, and I know that one day Ima be the only one left. look how u ruined everything with him, u really think he gonna stick with you. no chance in hell. You know it and i know it that ima be the only one left , and when hes gone ill be the one you turn to for relief so ill just wait here bidin my time cuz you aint got no chance and I know you gonna be mine eventually.

The only part that dont fit is the one part where it goes 'now u wait for a spark you know it will turn you on, hes gonna make you feel the way you wanna feel"...I kinda saw that as my man gettin in just his one chance at sayin somethin. Like "i know that you say you love me but i see how you get when you on dope when you talk about dope....you love that shit. Thats the shit that you really love not me." and for those 2 lines it switched over to his thoughts.

Shit always made me feel guilty as fuck. That was always a favorite one of mine when i would get in a fight with him and then go drive to go cop and get high. :(

Im so glad i can say that we made it thru that shit and got a kid on the way and we are both clean and happy and more in love than ever these days. but you wouldnt know it from that post so I just didnt want yall to think that the story ended in a sad way. :)

no input on "badfish" huh? since the first day i heard that song i have always thought it was about addiction. the lyrics are just so.....obvious imho.

and hey, congrats AGAIN 8) on the kid mayne

No i agree that badfish seems to be about addiction for the most part but it never struck me the same way that some other songs do , when i hear it and it just takes on that special personal meaning to me.

badfish always seemed kinda obvious and for me usually the songs that i think of as bein "secretly" about addiction/dope is ones that aint got the meaning on the outside and its becuz i see something in it personally that means somethin to me, that it becomes like that.

I always took badfish to be more generalized, like just about in general the lifestyle of bein a no good fuck up weed smokin beer drinkin dope shootin mess. not so much about heroin addiction but more just about bein a fuckup stuck in the lifestyle repeatin the same mistakes over and over, u feel me? It never been quite so personal to me as some of the other lyrics that i really relate to.

Heres another sublime one for u tho: DJ's (well, just a part of it...."aint nothin wrong aint nothin write but still i sit and lie awake all night." if that aint about bein dopesick...shit...)

But another one that i took to heart was New Song.

"Runnin from a gun , or some brain that weighs a ton/ and my god it hurts to get so low.
searchin thru the cars, cold, still searchin thru the night/ I think i'll run to you -- but i refuse to fuss and fight.

and god may find a reason, and im sure youll find a rhyme/ becuz it takes up nearly all my time
he who stands for freedom, lord knows i got the number but/ maybe i just use too much.

I was sittin in that bar/now im sittin in that stolen car/cold, still rollin down the boulevard/ saw you with a gleam and the microphone scene/ i think ill run, you to you/but i know I wont live for me.

and i know gods got both the reason and the rhyme/so please tell me, why does it take up all my time?....

.... but ,all the DJ's do it. All the dj's use it/I would run, i would switch/but I wanna be the same./ And i know Ill find a reason, cuz i always bust a rhyme/becuz it takes up nearly all my time....

But maybe i just use too, maybe i just use too, maybe i just use too much."

honestly, i think that it may be about his meth use cuz i know that he used to tweak out a good amount too but i always felt a connection to it when i thought about my dope use.

"Runnin from a gun or some brain that weighs a ton" sounds like some tweeker paranoia for me, but I say nevermind that part. with dope, you also runnin, from any and everything so it fits , imo. And god it does hurt to get so low. Searchin thru the cars in the parkin lots, stealin change out of ashtrays and consoles and shit, just searchin thru the night to get up some dough to cop...And then you run and get your dope and you aint gotta fuss or fight or stress or nothin just get high and forget.

"Sittin in the bar, now im sittin in that stolen car" is about how you just sit around in your regular life as a dope feen and your schemes and plans can get fucked up so damn quick that all a sudden you find yourself in a really bad situation thats fucked up and it just all turns so fast sometimes when you a dopehead and you runnin scams n things like that.

I never quite got the saw u with the gleam and the microphone scene part but i think hes just sayin he saw the crowd he usually cops from or gets high with, the gleam in everybodys eyes of bein high and the 'microphone scene' just bein the group of musicians and band people and club kids who was hangin around at that time.....And he will run to dope, but he knows he wont live for himself, he lives for dope.

the most meaningful part to me was always "i would run, i would switch, but i wanna be the same." you wish you could change yourself, your life, your need to get high, but you afraid to get clean afraid of life without dope afraid of all of it. you wanna be yourself and you feel like you only yourself when you on dope.

The part in the 2 verses about "god got both a reason and a rhyme" and "i know ill find a reason cuz i always bust a rhyme" and "please tell me why does it take up all my time"/ "cuz it takes up nearly all my time"is just about you know...why do i use? only god knows. and i know that i know, somewhere, inside, but i dont really know. i just do, its just my life its just how i am and i cant explain it, but i always find a reason to keep goin, i always get by even if im a total mess and totally lost inside, and i gotta maintain becuz this addiction takes up all my time, all my life, its my job and my purpose here. The first time is begging like god, please, why am i like this and by the second verse its just like accepting it...and i think at the end its obvious....Just admittin that you know its outta control, and maybe you just stupid, and maybe you just talkin some dumb shit and maybe you just use too much.

Anyways, im sorry i been slow to hit you back from your PM, Ima hit you up now tho :) thank u !!