Mental Health Body Dysmorphic Disorder(BDD)

I've had this, to a mild-to-moderate extent for most of my life. It's caused me no end of grief, and while I've been able to make some progress in the last six months or so, it always seems to be hiding below the surface just waiting for a bad day.

I'm not going to mention what my focus is, at least not yet, but I will say that it is fat-related.

I've heard of this disorder a lot, associated with eating disorders and depression.

One thing I always wondered is, where do u draw the line between having BDD, and simply not being happy with your body? What takes it over the line to a disorder vs. bad self esteem?

Bdd dsm-iv

One thing I always wondered is, where do u draw the line between having BDD, and simply not being happy with your body? What takes it over the line to a disorder vs. bad self esteem?
Have you read the DSM IV before?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_dysmorphic_disorder said:
The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders defines body dysmorphic disorder as a preoccupation with an imagined defect in appearance which causes clinically-significant distress or impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning. However, BDD may involve an actual defect that's slight, but the sufferer constantly obsesses over it. The individual's symptoms must not be better accounted for by another disorder; for example weight concern is usually more accurately attributed to an eating disorder.

The disorder generally is diagnosed in those who are extremely critical of their mirror image, physique or self-image, even though there may be no noticeable disfigurement or defect. The three most common areas that those suffering from BDD will feel critical of have to do with the face: the hair, the skin, and the nose. Outside opinion will typically disagree, and may protest that there even is a defect. The defect exists in the eyes of the beholder, and one with BDD really does feel as if they see something there that is defective.

People with BDD say that they wish that they could change or improve some aspect of their physical appearance even though they are generally of normal or even highly attractive appearance. Body dysmorphic disorder causes sufferers to believe that they are so unspeakably hideous that they are unable to interact with others or function normally for fear of ridicule and humiliation about their appearance. This can cause those with this disorder to begin to seclude themselves or have trouble in social situations. They can become secretive and reluctant to seek help because they fear that others will think them vain or because they feel too embarrassed. It has been suggested that fewer men seek help for the disorder than women.[6]

Ironically, BDD is often misunderstood as a vanity-driven obsession, whereas it is quite the opposite; people with BDD do not believe themselves to be better-looking than others, but instead feel that their perceived "defect" is irrevocably ugly or not good enough. People with BDD may compulsively look at themselves in the mirror or, conversely, cover up and avoid mirrors. They typically think about their appearance for at least one hour a day (and usually more), and in severe cases may drop all social contact and responsibilities as they become a recluse.

A German study has shown that 1–2% of the population meet all the diagnostic criteria of BDD, with a larger percentage showing milder symptoms of the disorder (Psychological Medicine, vol 36, p 877). Chronic low self-esteem is characteristic of those with BDD, because the assessment of self-value is so closely linked with the perception of one's appearance.

I've had this, to a mild-to-moderate extent for most of my life. It's caused me no end of grief, and while I've been able to make some progress in the last six months or so, it always seems to be hiding below the surface just waiting for a bad day.

I'm not going to mention what my focus is, at least not yet, but I will say that it is fat-related.

I'm glad to hear that there has been some progress for you Dave :)

I just recently learned about BDD, and it was as if I was smacked in the head, because all of a sudden every little thing I do throughout my day made complete sense. I'm still trying to figure out what the next step is in going about improving this.

I havent had BDD but have known those close to me who have battled this issue. I dont think its something very easily left in the past, definitely one of those things which you may be able to keep under control and keep from outwardly affecting your day to day life, but that its something just lurking around waiting for someone to make a slightly critical comment about your appearance, or to compound on a stressful situation.

Doctors are now speculating that I might of had BDD for over a decade, it went undiagnosed and has been the source of most of my distress and suffering in life. I agree with u Stoned Immaculate, everything I did during the day is beginning to make sense now that BDD is being suggested as a possible cause.

I am so happy you created this thread. I had such a strong personality, always came across super confident, was always successful at whatever i did, people would refer to me as a general "winner", was considered a handsome guy, was always good with women; but then when BDD took over I became suicidal, and withdrew from society. Imagine that all in a span of 2 years, I was as social as they get, and then here i was stuck in my bedroom scared of the outside world. fucked up. I am still struggling, but i will win (god willingly).

It is such a rare disease and would love to get in touch with u guys and girls who are suffering, just to learn more about it, and maybe relate. Let's help one another pull through. Doctors put me on Zoloft recently, meh

Here's my msn: [email protected]

I havent had BDD but have known those close to me who have battled this issue. I dont think its something very easily left in the past, definitely one of those things which you may be able to keep under control and keep from outwardly affecting your day to day life, but that its something just lurking around waiting for someone to make a slightly critical comment about your appearance, or to compound on a stressful situation.

very true

Doctors are now speculating that I might of had BDD for over a decade, it went undiagnosed and has been the source of most of my distress and suffering in life. I agree with u Stoned Immaculate, everything I did during the day is beginning to make sense now that BDD is being suggested as a possible cause.

I am so happy you created this thread. I had such a strong personality, always came across super confident, was always successful at whatever i did, people would refer to me as a general "winner", was considered a handsome guy, was always good with women; but then when BDD took over I became suicidal, and withdrew from society. Imagine that all in a span of 2 years, I was as social as they get, and then here i was stuck in my bedroom scared of the outside world. fucked up. I am still struggling, but i will win (god willingly).

It is such a rare disease and would love to get in touch with u guys and girls who are suffering, just to learn more about it, and maybe relate. Let's help one another pull through. Doctors put me on Zoloft recently, meh

Here's my msn: [email protected]

I can relate to the sentence I bolded above. No one can understand why I don't want to leave my bedroom anymore, and to be honest, I feel judged if I go anywhere else...

I can be more insecure then necessary but that is pretty normal when it comes to fat, muscle, etcetera. I didn't know BDD could also be about the face and such, I thought it was only about muscle (AKA Bigorexia). I definitely know some people who are steroid-huge and still think they're small. Drug use, mental problems and personality disorders (NPD, BPD) seem to be quite common with the steroid using bodybuilders too.

I can be more insecure then necessary but that is pretty normal when it comes to fat, muscle, etcetera. I didn't know BDD could also be about the face and such, I thought it was only about muscle (AKA Bigorexia). I definitely know some people who are steroid-huge and still think they're small. Drug use, mental problems and personality disorders (NPD, BPD) seem to be quite common with the steroid using bodybuilders too.

BDD is typically directed at the face, but is definitely not limited to it. The whole body is fair game, just depends on what you're focus is. Weight focus borderlines with eating disorders. Muscle Dysmorphia, also known as the Adonis Complex, is a type of BDD with a main focus on muscle. Here is the link to the Muscle Dysmorphia wiki-page if you're interested.

Muscle Dysmorphia Wiki Page

yeah my BDD is directed entirely to the face. The slightest blemish will ruin my day, it's overwhelming. I really need help. I just started dabbling into coke and Mdma because of this issue. i never even smoked a cigarette in my life, why am i jumping to 9th base? Very traumatic

Get help because it only gets worse if untreated.
Going and talking to my doctor was the hardest thing but the more you do it the easier it gets.
Doing cocaine and x is not a good idea, fucking with your brain chemicals and having the BDD mess with your serotonin already is a bad combo.
They will probably put you on a SSRI in a few weeks you will feel a difference, at the same time you will get a referral to get talk therapy, just take a breath and keep trying and you will be rewarded. Peace.

Oh and be honest about how you feel about your body and everything, there is no shame, and doctor's have had patients
with the same thing your going through, and will understand a lot.

This is some real good advice and give me hope, i really appreciate it. I haven't touched coke or mdma for like 4 months now. I was put on Zoloft the past week, side effects were too overwhelming. I have a doc appointment on thursday, i hope these psychiatrists know what their doing. I couldn't imagine every being in this state, but then again the roman empire never thought it would fall.

I'm not diagnosed, but I talked to my friend about it and she's convinced I have it, which convinced me that I have it.
For some reason whenever I smoke weed though my self esteem goes up up up
and I see myself as actually looking kind of gaunt.
Not sure if that's actually how I look though,

I'm not diagnosed, but I talked to my friend about it and she's convinced I have it, which convinced me that I have it.
For some reason whenever I smoke weed though my self esteem goes up up up
and I see myself as actually looking kind of gaunt.
Not sure if that's actually how I look though,

bro what are u talking about. you're like mocking the disorder. You either have it or your don't. It ruins lives, people on the verge of suicide, weed aint gonna do shit. what are u talking about???

^^ I don't see that as mocking the disorder, and many people use drugs that can effectively cover up problems or numb them for a short period of time.

The OP said this -
Is anyone here currently struggling with, think they have, or has overcome this?

Just because you may think you have it 'worse' doesn't mean you shouldn't show empathy to someone coming in here with their concerns.

I don't think I have ever had BDD, but I have been close. I definitely remember being heavier, (but still not fat) and HATING leaving the house, feeling like people were staring at me, judging me, and feeling like a fat failure.