• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction ⫸Should I Try HEROIN?⫷

Agreed the physiology of heroin addiction is horrific - I'm getting a lesson on that now, myself - but addiction and dependence are primarily psychological and any mood altering substance/activity can be a vector.

It's reckoned that there are 7,800,000,000 humans on this planet. Each with a unique genome. Maybe the day will come when every child is born into a world that understands its needs and vulnerabilities at the genetic level and has systems in place to maximise that child's chances of meeting it's genetic potential. Optimised for happiness, why not, like the Tibetans.

That sounds nice, and plausible. Maybe a few generations from now our descendants will inherit such a world.

That may be the direction we're heading in but that's not the world we inhabit today. The world we inhabit today is one in which, well, I feel like I've said too much about that already, the only thing I'll add is that I recently heard Jamie Wheal of Recapture the Rapture say that currently about 40% of pregnancies are unplanned. It seems reasonable to assume that many of us aren't getting the best start in life.

I know such people exist as can just stop using heroin like it's nothing but the fact that Alex Honnold exists doesn't give everyone the right to expect others to be able to free solo El Capitan. Neither does it absolve them of responsibility for the deaths of those who would yet live but for having heard them say "I saw Honnold solo el Cap therefore I'm pretty sure anyone could do it" Unless you're going to be at the bottom of that cliff to catch them when they fall then don't even suggest it.

The rest of us have to channel our inner David Goggins

And for me, personally, I found rock climbing to be something that I looked forward to enough to keep me from wanting to do anything else. This is going to sound weird and it's not something I'm desperately keen to admit to but in the off chance someone out there reads this and is kind of like me then I guess I owe it to them to admit that when I did free solo rock climbing and got to the summit and checked my emotions I was always like "hmm, I'm actually confident that I'm glad that I'm still alive" which doesn't sound like much but that's about as good as it gets for me and as weird as it might sound, that was priceless. Rock climbing and volunteering. I'm a construction guy so groups like Habitat for Humanity are the sorts of places that I can feel more useful and whatever you might think of Jordan Peterson when he says that life is pain and it's either meaningful or it's not I think he's on to something. I'd rather be in pain and have spent my day helping the less fortunate of the world than not be in pain having spent my day on the sofa with a syringe hanging out of my arm.

I'm almost as sorry that you started using heroin as I am that I did and while I would never say this to anyone who doesn't know what addiction is. Let me rephrase. Someone who hasn't embodied the spirit of withdrawal, someone who's internal monologue has never railed at a mutinous body that seems to be acting of it's own volition, someone who hasn't sat in what feels like a pool of their own body fluids thinking "I'm pretty sure I'd rather be dead than go through any more of this, oh yeah, that's why I started using in the first place isn't it? because I felt like this all the time. Great, what reason have I to believe that I'm actually going to want what's left when I come off this stuff?" e.t.c. e.t.c. ad nauseam. If you are addicted and have decided to face that battle sooner rather than later then kudos to you, my only humble suggestion is that you decide that you have a reason. It doesn't even matter what it is, but find something to believe in, a hope, it doesn't matter what, just dare to hope for something then beast your way through. Be open to change but have a starting point to believe in then be the Goggins.

Best of luck to you, there are great people out there and the best way to find them is by starting on a path of daily becoming one of them.

For everyone else, please be sensitive of the fact that these are strange days, the biggest recession in 300 years or so, I think I heard. Desperate times, desperate measures and all that

I felt I messed myself up some smoking too much weed too early on in my youth. Honestly, would have been better taking more acid and mushrooms instead.

Very limited access was the problem, to the psychedelics that is.

I just want to make something clear, heroin is nothing else other than diacetylmorphine aka diamorphine and as such it will be very similar in effects and pharmacology to morphine, as the name suggests. The difference between morphine is that heroin is 2-3x stronger, a bit longer in duration and its effects aren't quite as sedating as morphine. Also, euphoria is more pronounced on heroin (both body euphoria as well as mental euphoria), similar to but more intense than the euphoria that oxycodone can sometimes provide.

If you do try heroin the safest route of administration is smoking as you can feel it instantly and thus you will know how high you are after 4-5min! It's best to wait a full 5min before smoking more because smoking gives a small but noticeable rush that is very stimulating/energetic & a newbie won't feel drowsy during this period so most will decide to smoke more not realizing that it takes about 4-5min for this rush to wear off and for the sedating/traditional effects begin taking over!

That happened to a friend the first time he smoked fentanyl 10mg/(100mcg) patches! I had a big tolerance and wouldn't smoke more than 3 - 4 hits at a time, which always gave me a rush from head to toe (stronger than heroin, our heroin was 48% - one of our dealers got pinched & batch was tested, that's how I know). The rush was amazing and afterwards (5min later) it would fade and turn to a regular, sedating opioid high! My friend had never done opioids before and this would be his first time o_O so I told him not to take more than 1 or 2 hits off the foil. I told him it was like weed but much better, so he took 2 hits one after the other (he did good too, inhaled without wasting) so I said, 'okay, no more' and I continued to smoke. He says to me, 'I'm not feeling it, give me one more hit'. I gave him one more hit after which he said, still noting so he asked for another hit! I was surprised honestly and began to think he may have a natural high tolerance to opioids (first time on an opioid and your doing fentanyl?! come on man! surprised he didn't die looking back!). This persisted until I started getting genuinely pissed off at him and became full of hatred at him for wasting what would have been enough for me for half a day of being high plus I didn't like this guy anyways, he was a complete retard that would go break bottles for fun or jump someone at school because everyone else did, so he joined in without knowing a thing about the guy he jumped...a week later three cars full of gang members had been looking for the people that jumped their friend, found him, got out of the car, pulled him in the air by his throat like a fly and smashed him to the pavement, he came home looking *fucked up*). At this point, this guy had smoked even more fentanyl than I had smoked in that session and kept asking for more (it was his dad's fentanyl patch which he brought for free so I couldn't refuse him, I just thought to myself 'motherfucker, just you wait you piece of shit, wait until the rush wears off). All of a sudden he says to me, "I think I can feel it"! By this time he had taken 10+ hits (easily 0.5mg fentanyl if not 0.75mg - 1mg). I said 'thank God', put the patch and foil away and said 'how do you feel'? He says, "Oh, good man, good!". Literally the next minute he says, "I don't feel so good" lol! I immediately said, "let's go in the backyard" because I knew what would follow. I had him take a sit on a chair and saw him turn visibly pale, he started throwing up violently for the next 1hr - 2hrs, while I sat back having the time of my life. I told him to wait!

So, you’re suggesting that using drugs is only exciting - or, should I say, primarily exciting and attractive because they are illegal?
I’d love to see the rest of the world from your perspective. You’re openly admitting that you get off to rebelling authority.
I’m glad I am not your boss...

If there was a comedown it wouldn't be as addictive as it is. I haven't gotten a comedown from any opiate so i can't imagine Heroin having one.

It doesn't. I don't know any opioid that does. Once you're dependant you get withdrawal obviously when it starts wearing off, but there's no inherent come down like some drugs like meth have.

Yes, I seem like a crazy idiot, but don't imagine that I don't know what I'm talking about.

I can do the functional addict routine. I can live in the country of my birth, that my ancestors fought and died for, I can see my surname on warships and on intelligence officers on both sides of the pond. I can do all this knowing that I could buy a lifetimes supply of substances that would relieve me of my phobia of other humans for the cost of about 1 session of CBT knowing that if/when I do I could be socially excluded such that the chances of being able to afford the kind of retirement that allows a person to invite someone else into their life will forever be out of my reach, and for why? Because my government gave me a child molester for a guidance councillor? Because G-d in his infinite wisdom and mercy gave my father a suicidal for a brother? Because the people who were elected to represent the majority pander to the influential?

I'm telling anyone and everyone from bitter experience. However bad you have it now your fellow man can make it infinitely worse. Don't start on opiates, your brother is a hungry dog and he'll feed you to his children the first chance he gets.

daily

second try image

It doesn't. I don't know any opioid that does. Once you're dependant you get withdrawal obviously when it starts wearing off, but there's no inherent come down like some drugs like meth have.

Tramadol gave me some comedown-like symptoms after a few weeks of continued daily use, but I know it's the SNRI proprieties of Tramadol that caused them.

I don't think marijuana is any more addicting than any pleasurable activity, which is to say, not very at all.

I don't think it's any more dependency inducing than a few other very mildly dependency inducing things.

It's nothing whatsoever like heroin. In either sense, addicting or dependency inducing.
I used to think weed is harmless but weed was the first drug I used and once I crossed that line I feel like I found it easier to cross onto harder drugs I still smoke weed but in heinsight I don't think it's a harmless drug some people say it is especially when it's all scunk which I found very addictive when I first smoked it for a few years I needed weed everyday or wouldn't feel motivated to do anything

Those curious about taking that lethal step of “trying”; next time you’re surfing the ol’ YouTube, just type “Kensington” in your search. That should answer your question.

Just thought I would add my experience to the many responses to this post, sorry if I'm repeating what has been said before.
In response to the question should I try Heroin, that's an easy one NO!
I'm UK based so my experience of opiates differs to a lot of you from the USA. There is very little use of opiate pain pills over here so most peoples use of opiates is Heroin alone.
I'm 42 and have been a user of Heroin for about 20 years. The first 10 years was purely a recreational thing, I would smoke a bag or 2 every few months and that was it. It was never even close to being my DOC. after about 10 years in I found myself smoking it 3/4 times a week and using it as an antidepressant. I would not physically withdraw if I did not smoke it but the seeds of addiction where planted for sure. Fast forward a few more years and I was ( and still am ) shooting snowballs 2 times a day and get sick as a dog if I go 10 hours without using.

As a result of my addiction I have lost everything. My partner and I sold our house ( she was an ex user like me when we first met, we relapsed together ) and smoked / shot the profit from this in about 4 months ( £40k ) we both ended up homeless and in jail. I used to run an IT repair company and my partner was a Teacher. She ended up national news " school teacher turned heroin and crack dealer". What she did was hire a car for a dealer to use and receded 2.5 years for conspiracy to supply. I got 12 months for shoplifting to support our habits when homeless.

Things have improved a lot the last 2 years. We have a place of our own so are no longer homeless, we are starting a methadone script next week but we both know we have a lot to do, we are not sure if we can even stay together as using has become such a big part of out relationship ( the thought of losing her after all we have been through together is enough to make me run to the nearest dealer! ).

Heroin is the ultimate leveller. Its cares not for who you are, what you have done, your colour, race, sex etc. My partner and I are both well educated, middle class, from good family's etc etc. I had my use under control for years but the moment I let my guard down BOOM! ( the fact you have to keep your guard up should be a warning to you in the first place )

This is just my experience and may differ for you. I was an experienced drug user with many different drugs under my belt. I knew the risks, I was scared of needles (( what normal person is not?) but when you are sicker than you have ever been and have 1 ten bag to get 2 of you well you get brave real fucking quick!)

Sorry for all the grammatical errors, Im dyslexic and there is only so much a spell check can do. If your inclined to point such things out knock yourself out, Im sure your willy will double in size as a result.

Love
Joe x

I used to think weed is harmless but weed was the first drug I used and once I crossed that line I feel like I found it easier to cross onto harder drugs I still smoke weed but in heinsight I don't think it's a harmless drug some people say it is especially when it's all scunk which I found very addictive when I first smoked it for a few years I needed weed everyday or wouldn't feel motivated to do anything
All drugs are problematic if they are abused. if you are smoking pot the moment you get up in the morning until you go to bed you are clearly avoiding dealing with some shit or the other! We need to get past the myth that weed is this harmless wonder drug.

Heroin is great for comedowns, its having to take methadone for the Heroin W/D's is where the problems start!

I don't miss street gear one little bit. The very thought of it turns my stomach.

But I do miss methadone. It was the perfect opioid for me and although I'm now relieved to be free of its shackles, I still yearn for the buffering effect it has on life in general.

I don't miss street gear one little bit. The very thought of it turns my stomach.

But I do miss methadone. It was the perfect opioid for me and although I'm now relieved to be free of its shackles, I still yearn for the buffering effect it has on life in general.
Sadly despite having a Heroin habit it does nothing for me aside from keep me well, it acts as a emo blocker but physically I get next to nothing from it. I shot snowballs just to feel something when I have a hit. It is such a pointless addiction.
Ive never use methadone for anything else other than not getting ill, for that its great and considering the massive tolerance I have to heroin I have never needed very much to stay well.

Especially with a nice spliff ;)