• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

MDMA absorption rates by routes of administration

Orlando

Bluelighter
Some time ago, the absorption rates for various methods of MDMA administration were posted on Bluelight. They went along the lines of:
Oral = 40-60%
Nasal = 60-70%
Rectal = 80-90%

Since the original posting, these figures have been quoted as gospel on Bluelight and other reputable sites.

These figures are inaccurate. Diligent searching babydoc_vic, Catch-22, fairnymph, and Simon revealed these numbers to be almost total fabrications and the work of another Bluelighter’s imagination.

Please help stop any further spread of this misinformation.

Last edited:
so if they are inaccurate... what are the accurate %'s of absorbtion?

i know i wouldnt mind knowing...

-Hyper

so if they are inaccurate... what are the accurate %'s of absorbtion?

No research exists that I know of that can answer that question. I can tell you that about 2/3rds of an oral dose will end up in your urine, which, after considering losses from metabolism (your body breaking it down) suggests a fairly high absorbtion rate from oral dosing.

whatever the answer is I know that sticking it up my arse made me almost dribble with the strength of the come up.

=D

Stickin it up your ass is obviously better than swallowin it because it bypasses the boby's metabolic breakdown in the stomach

orlando: done :)

another reason that plugging is more effective than oral is because amphetamines absorb much better in an alkaline environment (stomach is acidic)

I always interpreted the %'s not at face value. I was under the impression it was a way to describe that plugging is twice as strong as eating. And racking a pill up was inbetween.

^^^ i had never thought to look at it that way... *opens eyes in bewilderment* makes sense... i mean looking at it like that means there is no exact, u could get 10 via oral, 20 via plugging... who knows... oh well.

I now feel i tiny bit more intellegent! :)

-Hyper

while there is surely some difference in the amount of a drug absorbed by different methods, i honestly cannot think it would be that much difference. tathra is right about the increase in absorbtion in an alkaline enviroment, but even that wouldn't play an extreme role in subjective effects. i think a psychological factor plays a large part in the "plugging feels so stronger" theory. i think you do get some small boost in effects, but since it is expected to be a huge difference, a psychosomatic effect happens. just my idle sleep deprived thoughts today.

also, if you do the math, the rumored differences don't really work out. assumine you have an 80mg MDMA pill. now pulling a number out of my ass lets say oral absorbtion is 70%
(probably higher) and plugging is 90%. this gives you an increase of drug in your system of 16mg, hardly a stellar leap.

Last edited:
theDEA.org - I think it may be a little misleading to say that about to two-thirds of an oral MDMA dose will pass through to your urine. Possibly true, but misleading if this letter is the justification for that statement. It involves a study in which the urine and plasma concentrations were tested for one subject (a 40 year old male) after ingesting a 50mg dose of MDMA. Even so, that estimate is well within the range of reasonable bioavailability for oral administration.

nc. and hyperspeeding – That’s one way to look at it, but I want emphasise the fact that those numbers are not validated.

I wouldn’t fault someone for being adamant that those numbers are correct - they have been widely quoted as being true. The point here is to stop the dissemination of this misinformation and to give people a thread to point to for support.

Last edited:
*applauds for Orlando*

I am really glad to see we are trying to clarify past info that has previously been waved around with great authority. It was never made clear that these figures were anything more than speculation, alas...

another way you could look at it is thats how much actually makes it across the BBB; i remember reading somewhere that (for example) only ~5% or so of LSD ingested actually makes it to the brain, while the rest gets broken down along the way (erowid's lsd vault is down at the moment, or its just my modem acting up; fuckin box needs more work and i havent found time to work on it)

Tums

taking an antacid before you drop, Tums etc. Also increases the absorption of mdma. You just gotta neutralize you stomach acid.

TheDEA.org said:
No research exists that I know of that can answer that question. I can tell you that about 2/3rds of an oral dose will end up in your urine, which, after considering losses from metabolism (your body breaking it down) suggests a fairly high absorbtion rate from oral dosing.

So your telling me that absolutely no tests have been done on absorbtion of MDMA at all?

Cos I would really like to know the facts, not myths and Im sure alot of other bluelighters would too.

"taking an antacid before you drop, Tums etc. Also increases the absorption of mdma. You just gotta neutralize you stomach acid."
And is this a proven fact? I had never thought of this before but it sounds like a good one.

i'm not sure about antiacids increasing the absorption rate.. but when you feel like vomiting on E, popping an antiacid immidiately makes the sickness go away (tried, tested and true :))

"another reason that plugging is more effective than oral is because amphetamines absorb much better in an alkaline environment (stomach is acidic)"

Yes Tums work great. I would guestimate one pill is equal to 1.5 pills when you do this. Just eat your pills silly people!!! I don't understand shooting, plugging, i say eat it or blow it baby!!