• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids If I am allergic to codeine, would it mean I respond the same to heroin?

den4

Greenlighter
The other day I got offered to smoke heroin, I was interested, but a bit scared because it seems I am allergic to codeine. And by allergy I mean a true allergic reaction, my throat starts to swell and its sore to swallow... What's the likelihood I will experience the allergic reaction or anaphylaxis to heroin?

Well codeine is 3-methyl Morphine and Heroin is 3,6,DiacetylMorphine so chances are very high that you could be in some real trouble if you partake. Unless you have an angiocath inserted with IV diphenhydramine and IV epinephrine at the ready, but using rescue doses of Epinephrine is not pleasant in the slightest. It's like the chemical version of running a few flights of stairs while sitting still (or clutching your throat trying to breathe).

Heroin is dangerous enough, especially these days, without throwing anaphylaxis into the mix. I'd say it's def not worth the risk with almost guaranteed complications.

th

Codeine- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -Heroin​

I would avoid any and all opiates unless they are fully synthetic. It is likely you are allergic to anything to do with the poppy plant.

The human body is naturally allergic to opium derived chemicals, especially codeine and morphine.

And since heroin is basically a modified version of the morphine molecule, and retains much of the original configuration, it can cause a similar amount of histamine response as morphine can. It's mostly itching, appearance of hives around the injection site but not anything severe.

Codeine is actually notorious for causing histamine reactions, which is why no-one (plus silly exceptions) shoots codeine.

That said - there's absolutely a chance you will be, as codeine as a true opiate, like heroin - that breaks down into extremely similar morphine(/-like) molecules.