• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Poppy Seed Tea Withdrawal Is Hell

I?m another silent supporter, Gollum. You?re seriously doing so good.

I know you did this to help somebody, so I thought I?d let you know this talked me out of trying them. I?m a former opiate addict but have a family and career now that I refuse to lose it to. I?ve considered PST but you?ve convinced me that?s a poor decision... so thanks. Good luck with this, I?m rooting for you!

Thanks for sharing Gollum, I found this thread while going through my most recent CT detox beginning of this year. Even though I know what I am in for each time I always trawl the internet to find what others experience with PST withdrawal.
After 8 or so years addicted and numerous attempts to quit I was starting to think maybe I couldn?t live without it and was going to be trapped forever but this time I think I have come through the other side.
When I have a weak moment of thinking how nice just one dose would be I remind myself that nice buzz only lasts the first couple of times, after that you are just drinking it to not feel like shit. It?s also so freeing not to have to have life revolve around it anymore, I?ve gone to visit family with litres of the stuff in my suitcase countless times & international travel was obviously not an option.
Sorry the point of my post isn?t to make it about me, I just wanted to let you know it is possible to get through it and to feel somewhat normal again which is something I might not have believed 3 months ago. You aren?t alone in this!

I just read your first post and I wanted to chime in. First off, you are not a loser or worthless. Everyone feels worthless while in withdrawal. Withdrawl drains all of your confidence. You have three beautiful children a beautiful wife and a successful business you're awesome... remember that. I will be praying for you brother. Keep your head up!

Ok.... I just went through this thread and read most of it and skimmed through some of it. You can beat this horrible demon. Just remember, bupe is always an option if you need help with this bullshit. I'm on methadone myself and it has definitely saved my life and my bank account lol but I personally wouldn't recommend it for PST unless bupe doesn't work. Just remember... You're awesome brotha. You can beat this shit. If you fail get right back up and try again. Good luck and God bless you man!

Last edited:
@pharmacybandit: Thanks for the support. I'm glad my journal has kept at least one person for trying poppy seed tea. The WD is long and painful and not worth the high by any means. I get it though--it's tough some days to deal with the stresses of life, work, and family and it would be nice to just let all that fade away for a few hours. But those few hours soon become daily or twice daily and then you're not even dealing with the things you should be dealing with anymore because you're chained to the drug. If I've learned anything from going through the cold turkey again is that will power is not enough to stay sober and there has to be a support system in place. There may be people out there who can control their use, but I am not one of them.

@tlw85 & DrewDogBaby209: Appreciate your stories and support. Feeling a bit better each day so think I got this again. The insomnia is crippling though, which I expected. I have sleep meds this time around, but don't want to go crazy with them. I think it is important for the brain/body to reach homeostatis on its own time table, even though it may be a painful process.

Day 11. Last night sucked. Did not do any sleep meds and only managed a couple of hours between 4:30 and 6:30. Legs seemed more restless last night as well--not twitchy/jerky but just like I needed to get up. Walked around the house most of the night--family probably thinks I've become a vampire. Also seem to have a lot of congestion/sneezing today. Gastro/intestinal issues are all gone at this point and bowels have returned to regular processing. Mentally I feel pretty good--obviously very tired, but seem to have clarity and not a lot of anxiety today. Also, not feeling as cold as I have in past days which is a good sign. Going to attempt a workout and clean the house. Also have some auto maintenance that needs done so I may go for that as well if my legs don't start aching and I don't start freezing again.

Have to keep telling myself it is a process ( a VERY SLOW process) and things will improve each day if I can keep my shit in one pile. I know I've been obsessing about the weather but I think that would do wonders for my attitude to just be outside and feel the sun on my face--I'm an outside person and feel like I'm going stir crazy inside which is not helping. As it is now, we haven't even seen he sun for about a week and it's snowing like hell today. If I had the energy, I think I might actually take a vacation and head south to someplace warm. Just not quite ready for that yet, I don't think.

I'm the exact same way... B4 I got on methadone I would be in BAD withdrawal and I was so depressed in winter when it was fully cloudy, raining, or foggy. I just needed some sunshine. Luckily I live in sunny California so I didn't have to deal with that too often... but when I did it was HORRIBLE. Thank God that part of my life is over and thank God for methadone. I felt like the sun was Gods light shining down on me while I was in the worst possible state of mind. It was like He was telling me everything was gonna be alright. I'll be praying and thinking about you. You got this!

Last edited:
Day 12. Better night last night and with no sleep meds. Slept from around midnight to 4:30 which doesn't sound great but I feel pretty good. Legs seem to be less achy/tired today and I was on them a lot yesterday. Had kind of an adrenaline rush and decided the house needed cleaning really bad. Spent all day working on it--and not just the "straightened things up" kind of clean, but the "friends coming in to town to stay with you" kind of clean. Even washed the windows. Wife came home and asked if we had people coming over. Anyway, not that I like to clean or anything, but it was something to do and kept my mind off of how I feel. Supposed to hit mid 40's today so at least most of the snow will be gone--no sign of the sun however. Seem to be having a lot more drainage/congestion and a dull headache the past two days which seems odd--kind of thought I was past that. Maybe the weather causing sinus pressure just to screw with me even more. Also, not feeling much anxiety/depression and can think clearly, but still feel "off" mentally (if that makes any sense). Almost like a slight fog is still around my brain.

Going to go do some car maintenance today and see how that goes. Chills/cold feeling come and go but seem to be diminishing a bit each day. Can't say I feel "normal" yet but feel like I've got this again. I hate that word "again"..just reminds me that I was already over this shit and still jumped back into it. Try not to kick myself too hard about it, but I do feel stupid.

On a bright note, went ahead and booked a vacation for the wife and I to Gulf Shores for the end of the month. Hopefully by then I should be feeling better. Just got tired of looking at the crappy Midwestern weather and the long term forecast says March is going to suck and the groundhog-predicted early Spring is probably not going to happen. Hard to believe a rodent could be wrong about the forecast...So, fuck-it, if the sun doesn't want to come to me, I will go find it.

You a srtrong man gollum going ct with no meds you can do it mate.Last i see you was on day 9 are the symptoms easing now

IAG-

Just wanted to chime in, be that I am also am in awe of your willpower to quit.

Try not to beat yourself up over going through it again. Many of us have gone through it more times than we're able to count. You're doing what anyone with a drug problem does. Not that that makes it any less frustrating, I know.

You're right about needing more than willpower to stay clean. You have a good head in your shoulders. I'm rooting for you. Hang in there.

@Yuba: Really appreciate the support--definitely feeling better each day but it is a friggin' slow process at this point. Can't really compare it day to day because the improvement is so minor between days. Have to compare it to a week ago to see real progress. I do remember last time that progress starts coming at a faster rate--but I'm not there yet. How are you doin' my friend? Still hanging tough with the recovery?

@10YearsGone: Thanks for the supportive words. I feel pretty confident that I am going to push through to the other side again, but you're right about needing support to stay clean. Scares the shit out of me that I was able to fall so far back down into the pit so quickly after just one slip. Hopefully, I've learned another lesson. BTW, love your screen name--says so much in just a few words.

Lucky # 13...About 4 hours of sleep again last night with no meds--but they were consecutive hours which helps. Still makes for a long-assed night. Feel pretty good again today aside from a pounding cluster headache behind my right eye/forehead. Not sure what is up with that but I think it may be sinus pressure from the weather change. We have went from cold as hell to 50 degrees in the span of 72 hours, but still no sunshine--God, why do we live here? I did go for a short walk even though we are having 50+ mph winds but did not feel too cold. Legs feel better today and not as achy or tired. A friend suggested high-dose vitamin D for the aches and I think it may be helping. Taking 1000iu twice a day for anyone thinking of trying it. I have been out in my shop messing around all day so I'm not inside focusing on how I feel. Head still feels a bit cloudy but I am sure that is sleep related. Still sneezing a lot and congestion that comes and goes, but mostly at night it seems. No major anxiety or depression to speak of and starting to feel more positive about life. Seems like it was right around the 3 week mark that I really turned a corner last time (aside from the insomnia....) so if I can make it through the next week, I think I will be good.

It will end and one day you will look at that secret stash and wonder what the hell you were thinking. However you can cut the dose by like 75% and get a little relief just don't buy anymore. You will lose the RLS after a very small dose of ptea. I know because I had a habit much like you're but I was at about 1.5-2 one a day. I did cold turkey but the problem is you are detoxing from SEVERAL chemicals at once. That will hurt no matter what so a quick taper will keep you san sane and you won't look at the stash so hard. If you can get some anti anxiety meds it will help a lot but don't slip into abusing those too. Also some caffeine or ephedrine depending on your localo location, the morning will help get the groggy gone quicker. But you will still be "out of it" for several more days. I couldn't hold my hand still for around 2 weeks. Everyone noticed how tough it is to keep food on a form and asked if I was ok. To which I always said "yes, just didn't get much sleep "

Good luck I hope u stick with it.

Great for you!! Sounds like you are getting that "I can do anything and I don't need a pill to do it" very proud of you!! Now you have been through detox your mind and body will think it can do anything. And why not detox is WAY harder than anything work is gonna throw at you.!!

Reading FICTION not non-fiction will help you a lot. Also you are on the right path using exercise as it releases pleasure endorphin and chemicals n stuff. Tv and movies are one of the worst ways to get over opiate, maybe the first day but then the mind shuts down and everything is boring or you think you know what is going to happen. However a fictional book, even one which you have seen the movie multiple times, will get a completely different part of your brain working that you may have even forgot exists.

Good luck, peace and love!!

I believe

My other responses were for older posts I didn't realise it would put them at the end, thought it would be under your post that I was replying to... anyway if you get only 4 hours sleep too many days it could be a problem. Now: I am well aware of the effects of alcohol on sleep functions. However, depending on the time you are waking, a light mixed drink would maybe get you about 3 more hours of sleep but it won't do more than that as the alcohol will wake you back up just as it put you to sleep. No hair of the dog!!! No replacing one habit with another, I am simply suggesting a cheap (lower risk) way to get you a little more sleep. By light drink I mean a regular alcoholic glass (the short ones) and a 40-50% mix liquor and if you can stomach it...water. Use juice or soda if you must but water is definitely best. Then take a big swig of water (few ounces), pee and get yourself back to sleep. Make it a quick process so u don't fully wake up.

I am certain people will have a problem with my suggestion of alcohol but if that is the only time u touch it I can almost guarantee the bags beneath your eyes will disappear. Don't use the alcohol for sleep for more than a week or two otherwise you may end up relying on it and then you gotta quit that too.

Thanks for all your updates and I'm certain you got this this time!!!

You could give mirtazepine a chance if the insomnia continues

Alright! You still doing it! Glad you heading south for sun and warmth. Just got back from a western Caribbean cruise, the weather was very cathartic. Temps and humidity in the 80’s and the SUN was amazing. It helped.......ALOT! I have no doubt you will feel better afterwards.

Hey IAG-

You have cluster headaches? I am chronic. I ask only because it's so rare I ever find someone that also has them.

Your doing great. If you made it this far, I honestly have faith you've got this. You've been through the most torturous part. I'm really happy you're getting close to being you again.

It's not a bad thing to relapse. Use this as an opportunity to know yourself better. To maybe figure out why it snuck up on you again.

One thing I can promise, is you can't ever casually drink tea. I was going to say maybe many years from now - but I stopped myself. I thought of the guy I know that relapsed after 35yrs clean. He is currently in methadone and using IV fent. He is dual addicted. His story is very sobering.

Hope today is one of your best yet! ����