Study Taurine May Protect Testes from AAS

CFC

Bluelight Crew
I read a lot of journal articles and thought I may as well share some of the more interesting ones as I go.

This paper basically discusses how about 1.5g of Taurine (human equivalent) protects rat testes from some of the markers of damage cased by Deca (testicular atrophy, damage to sperm, destruction of cells etc). Deca increases inflammatory proteins in the testes and depletes glutathione (anti-oxidant); taurine boosts glutathione levels and helps combat the inflammatory cascade. We would therefore assume that recovery would be easier and endogenous test levels would rebound quicker. Bear in mind, however, that this is in rats (which sometimes don't react quite like humans, physiologically speaking), and they're using a small dose of Deca (140mg).

Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2015 Feb 1;282(3):285-96.
Amelioration of nandrolone decanoate-induced testicular and sperm toxicity in rats by taurine: effects on steroidogenesis, redox and inflammatory cascades, and intrinsic apoptotic pathway.
Ahmed MA.

The wide abuse of the anabolic steroid nandrolone decanoate by athletes and adolescents for enhancement of sporting performance and physical appearance may be associated with testicular toxicity and infertility. On the other hand, taurine; a free β-amino acid with remarkable antioxidant activity, is used in taurine-enriched beverages to boost the muscular power of athletes. Therefore, the purpose of this study was to investigate the mechanisms of the possible protective effects of taurine on nandrolone decanoate-induced testicular and sperm toxicity in rats. To achieve this aim, male Wistar rats were randomly distributed into four groups and administered either vehicle, nandrolone decanoate (10mg/kg/week, I.M.), taurine (100mg/kg/day, p.o.) or combination of taurine and nandrolone decanoate, for 8 successive weeks. Results of the present study showed that taurine reversed nandrolone decanoate-induced perturbations in sperm characteristics, normalized serum testosterone level, and restored the activities of the key steroidogenic enzymes; 3β-HSD, and 17β-HSD. Moreover, taurine prevented nandrolone decanoate-induced testicular toxicity and DNA damage by virtue of its antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and anti-apoptotic effects. This was evidenced by taurine-induced modulation of testicular LDH-x activity, redox markers (MDA, NO, GSH contents, and SOD activity), inflammatory indices (TNF-α, ICAM-1 levels, and MMP-9 gene expression), intrinsic apoptotic pathway (cytochrome c gene expression and caspase-3 content), and oxidative DNA damage markers (8-OHdG level and comet assay). In conclusion, at the biochemical and histological levels, taurine attenuated nandrolone decanoate-induced poor sperm quality and testicular toxicity in rats.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25542992

Last edited:
Interesting :) didn't read the actual paper itself, but your summary piques my interests. Good, coz I've got an almost full 1kg bag of the shit in my cupboard lolz

I stick more than that in my shakes as it is, yet my testes definitely lack the mass they used to lol. Actually on reading that again it should read 8-10g not 1.5g (for an average 80-100kg bodybuilder)

No, scrap that, I was right first time: 1.5g... I sometimes forget the human-rat conversion ratio (x0.162).

Last edited: