View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Question about Lsd and citalopram

hitimes

Greenlighter
If I am on a very low dose of citalopram such as 10mg only will it still block the effects of LSD? The real question is will I still trip on LSD if I take a dose of 10mg of citalopram a day which is a SSRI?

Thanks for any advice

Yes, in my experience u will still trip even if taking SSRI's.

Out of curiosity, what are you on SSRI's for? If you are anxiety prone, to the point of needing medication, LSD might not be a good idea.

Nothing will block LSD that I know of, especially a SSRI.( I know from personal experience)
I'd like to know if there is something that blocks LSD though? I've taken all sorts of hallucinogenics and never had any trouble with my prescription meds blocking, or adversing them in a negative way.

I have heard Seroquil and other antipsychotics can stop a trip in it's tracks. I'm not sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if you took LSD after an antipsychotic that nothing would happen. I'm sure the effects would be diminished at the least.

I'm going to move this to the psychedelic drugs forum.

Homeless --> PD

It varies, one person will tell you that you still trip and another will tell you that it will block most of the good effects. It can even make the trip stronger.

This is hard if not impossible to predict because it depends on the exact combination of the individual, the specific SSRI and the specific psychedelic.
Reconsider since the reason for taking citalopram (depression) is contraindicated (not a good idea) with tripping, and I do not know of any off-label prescription of citalopram.

If you must proceed, start with a low dose to be sure and gradually increase over a number of attempts.

I don't know of an off-label uses for Citalopram, but I do know many gp's/bad psych doctors will lump almost any mental affliction as 'depression'. I went to my GP as a 18 year old because I would have panic attacks any time I ate in public or was in a big confined space (think crowded walmart/mall), with that being my only symptom.. I had a perfectly normal, happy mindset. But my doctor at the time preached up and down it was depression making itself known and I should start antidepressants right away. Now that I'm older I realize this was a passing phase that was triggered by the stressed of transitioning from high school to 'life'.

I suppose that rant doesn't quite belong here, but my point being is that regardless of the reason prescribed, LSD should be taken by when in a healty, happy mindset. Especially by someone that doesn't have a lot of experiences with psychedelics.

My personal experience is that even very low dose SSRIs block virtually all effects of LSD. On 7.5mg paroxetine I had absolutely no effects from a moderate dose of LSD, though I did have fairly strong effects from a moderate dose of mushrooms.
On 10mg escitalopram (the isomer of what you're taking) I had minimal effects from a massive dose of mescaline. As others have stated, there's no hard and fast rules here, so start low.

I was on citalopram & escitalopram for a bit several years ago. Definitely seemed to blunt the effects of psychedelics & empathogens substantially. YMMV though.

Out of curiosity, what are you on SSRI's for? If you are anxiety prone, to the point of needing medication, LSD might not be a good idea.

I used to have so much anxiety about literally everything & since I've been doing psychedelics the anxiety has been greatly diminished.

I had this happen too, the anxiety came back but it was because I didn't make good use of the Knowledge I was given from my many, well-driven, safe trips too. Proof that we don't have that much control and that things can go wrong later, but it did make me live a good 7 years anxiety free, being able to let go of the Fear Of The End was wonderful. In fact, I haven't tripped since 2008 and am going to do it again with Ibogaine Hcl pretty soon.

You have to accept the risks if not in the greatest mind set. I notice that tripping with other people who you feel close to who aren't prone to flipping out/will take an equal to lower dosage than you is really good in setting the mood to positive especially if you value the friend.

Don't put too much value into friends though, because 99% of men think with their cocks and who services it so if a succubus flies by and tries to steal the friend's life well there isn't much you can do.

Wow, I'm insightful yet tangential after waking up from a nightmare.

Well mixed opinions ok........I assume I will start with a low dose of L and see how it works. I have some pure blotter it is white with gold pattern. I also have some 25b in my possesion as well. I just want to experience a good trip and I am in a very good mindset at the time. I am happy and ckear headed.