Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

[DXM Subthread] Nausea

the_integerian

Bluelighter
Why does DXM cause nausea?

Ok, I aked this question a while ago but I phrased it wrong and stupidly so I'm asking again. I never used to get sick from dexter but now I often tend to, and it doesn't matter whether I take the syrup or the geltabs. I'm a very small guy so my usual dxm dosage is usually anywhere from 150-350 milligrams. 150 milligrams can make me quite nauseated but I usually won't throw up from it. Anything above that though will make me hurl. After I hurl I do tend to feel better though and the trip kicks in more. I've tried taking dramamine (meclazine) with it to counteract the nausea but it only helps minimally. Weed helps but I can't bring my bowl with me wherever I go. Ginger also only helps minimally. What is the mechanism by which dxm causes nausea? Maybe if I knew I could find a way to counteract it better.

Yeah but that doesnt explain how dxm-only containing medicines or even dxm powder can cause nausea.

I was going to answer this thread with "Because you're filling your stomach with handfuls of pills or a bunch of nasty syrup." But that still doesnt explain nausea on dxm powder.

I rarely ever get sick on dxm, but I know its really common. I guess it just is what it is.

^ Every dissociative drug I have tried in pure form still has a dose range where I will consistently get pretty severe nausea from too much.

Pretty sure the DXM molecule causes plenty of nausea on it's own, the syrup and pills it comes in have got to make it worse though.

Any drug that causes dizziness in the majority of it's users is likely to make you throw up.

Every dissociative drug I have tried in pure form still has a dose range where I will consistently get pretty severe nausea from too much.

Don't think it's just this though, ketamine has never given me any nausea at any dosage, whilst DXM gives me some nausea at low doses. I'm guessing the serotonergic component of it's affects maybe partly to blame.

First time I did DXM I drank a whole bottle, DXM only. Thats 360mg if you do the math. Sure, I was pretty nauseated, but I didnt throw up. But I was wondering that too though, has anyone else tried taking dramamine with it to counteract it?

I noticed I was very itchy as well. Anyone else have this, or is it just me?

depends how you do it from what i hear
even DXM ony syrup n gelcaps makes you nasueas cuz there so thick n they irritate your stomach and intestanise cuz there so thick n slimy

pure DXM powder gelcaps that you cap yourself are supposed to greatly reduce nausea but from what i hear it depends on how many you take. ive herd of people stuffin like 200mg-400mgs of pure DXM powder in a gel capsule os maybe thats why its not as nauseating

I can usually keep down pills at any dose, with just a little nausea, but the smell of the syrup automatically triggers my gag reflux, even just thinking about it now has me dry retching in my mouth.

Well I know the gelcaps cause nausea because of all the inert ingredients in it. The dyes, the PEG, etc.

I've done dxm a handful of times and the one time i took a high dose i pretty much ended up vomiting which ruined my trip lol. I wanna take another high dose sometime soon, it's been 2/3 years since i've last touched it, but i dont wanna vomit. Got any tips/tricks on how to prevent it? The only thing i could think of was marijuana but that can only hold it off for so long, ya know?

Last edited:
is utfs an anagram for "stfu"? lol. yeah i just clicked it. dno why i didnt try that xD. dayum since the thread is already started, got any tips for mind set or setting(i think i already have the latter figured out, i just need to find weed in this new town). things u like to do while on dxm besides the obvious music and lighting? also erm is it worth buying a 3rd bottle of tussin just to go from plateue 3 to 4(5$ more)? i've only been in 1 & 2 a few times and platueu 4 once. I loved the closed eye hallucinations and outa body experience. There was this one closed eye visual where there was this white room that stretched on forever and just within view was a throne and sitting in it was me, and then i dissolved into white liquid and fell to the floor, was pretty cool. I did meet the stereotypical god as well and i wanna continue my meeting with him, even if he was fabricated by the drug. Can i reach this in platueue 3 or no?

It's for "use the fucking search engine." But anyway, I've never done the 4th myself, I'm pretty happy with the third, if you haven't done it definitely give it a try. Obviously the dissociation won't be as intense as the 4th, however it is quite significant, and if you lie down, close your eyes and don't move you can leave your body and stuff, especially with the addition of cannabis, which potentiates the experience wonderfully.

Music, darkness, and stillness are generally the best thing to do on DXM imo, but since you'll retain the ability to move around (good ole robowalk) on the 3rd, you can try doing other things as well. Just keep music on hand since it helps keep things positive. I don't find that mindset matters so much with dissociatives.

i found orange juice and lays original potato chips work to an extent. or just extract the alkaloids. ive done it a few times you just need to get good at doing it. look up agent lemon TEK, but instead of converting the freebase in solvent to an acid, i allow the solvent to evaporate so i can see my yield; the result is the cleanest DXM high youll ever have, so clean you barely feel it come on then your trippin face

Pure DXM does have considerably less nausea than the syrup if you can get hold of it, but the chemical itself still causes plenty of nausea even when pure (or extracted as suggested above).

Did you have it on an empty stomach? I find that helps, leave it at least 6 hours between eating and taking it. If that doesn't work then try a small snack an hour or two before taking it as some people find it worse hitting an empty stomach.

As for things that can help directly cannabis is meant to help (not too much or you're likely to increase the dizzyness/nausea).
Probably the best thing to take would be ginger, either chew on some ginger root or drink powdered ginger mixed with water an hour or so before taking the DXM. Ginger is well known for helping with nausea and I often take it before AMT as it really helps (if you think DXM is bad, try AMT the nausea is on a whole new level).

I am on ondancetron for my nausea due to chronic ulcers the stuff helps a bunch with dxm related nausea as well, an antiacid such as omprizole or mallox will help as well.

Last time it wasn't the syrup that made me vomit, it was the moving around with the double vision and i got dizzy lol.

And ok i finally got the weed :). Now i'll just wait for a good time to do it. I should smoke it on the peak right? Or right before? And obviously when im getting mega dizzy.

never knows best Idk if i'll be able to just stay still, there's gonna be so much im gonna wanna do lol. i forgot about the robowalk ahahaha good memories.

How about other drugs. How would vicodin synergize with dxm lol? Or alchohol? Cigarettes probably wouldn't be the best idea while i'm robotripping right? I doubt i'll even crave the damned things but if i did i'd bet they'd induce nausea.\

zazen it was on an empty stomach. and i plan to try amt someday :p

dextrofan where the hell did u come up with the idea of lays and oj? that reminds me to ask, do you believe in the orange juice (vitamin C) molly myth actually working?

Last edited:
I really agree with deadheadgirl, a good protein pump inhibitor usually does me pretty well. I would never recommend this but when I was doing a ton of DXM, I would have a good beer before hand. It always seemed to settle my stomach. Again drinking on DXM is not recommended. But the best anti-nausea is of course just smoking a bowl in my opinion. But whatever works for you, everyone is different. I got a friend that if anything goes wrong in a trip on anything all he has to do is play with his cat and he feels instantly better.