• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

How to grow mushrooms - from fully colonized substrate jars to the terrarium..how to?

InfamouzJ23

Greenlighter
'm new to growing medicinal mushrooms, I suffer from cluster-headaches and was told by a fellow patient that this is a natural-wonder medicine..and wanted to get some fellow BL's feedback ...here it goes - my substrate jars are just about completely colonized, ready to begin fruiting, but the directions I got from the grow kit company, are not very clear, and short..I do have all of the white perlite (1 big ziplock bag full, so about a pound) and was told that I should "fill that up to an inch in the "sterlite grow chamber"" they supplied me, "and then to drain the water, so the perlite is damp. Then to knock the cakes from the jars and to place the cakes upside down on top of the dampened perlite..and to wait 2-3 days. That's it..nothing else..maybe this is the "beginners" way of growing mushrooms, but I just want to ask some of my fellow bl's...as it didn't tell me when they'd be ready or how/when to pick them or anything...so today, I've been going searching around YouTube and have found all sorts of videos, but nothing about how to transfer the cakes inside the jars (all white filled with mycelium) -into the dampened perlite..and all of the youtube growers kits were extremely nice (some had humidifiers, hydroP's, etc.) ..I just bought the "beginners kit" as said above, it only came with a sterlite box (the terrarium, a lb. of white perlite, a few LED lights, gloves and a temp./humidity gauge... I am wondering if anyone could let me know what I should do so that I can have a good yield...if Anyone has Any info on how the "begin fruiting" stage...how to: from jars to terrarium filled with perlite, or any tips..I'd really appreciate it! Thanks. - Jon

they'll be ready to pick when the webbing (sorry I'm not well versed in mycology terminology) under the cap breaks. But you should honestly head over to the shroomery.org. They would be the best guys to ask about growing mushies :)

I doubt this topic will be allowed to stay open here, but like freehugs said, the shroomery.org is your absolute best bet for cultivation questions. The knowledge those fine guys and gals have about fungi is astounding.

You need two clear plastic boxs.

In the first one, put a few inches of water and an aquarium heater £12.99 from any aquarium shop. Set the temp to 75 fahrenheit or whatever the temp should be for fruiting.

Now put the second box inside the first. Put an inch or two of perlite in it, damp it with some water then put your cakes on a little aluminium foil on top of the perlite. Leave it in ordinary daylight (not direct sunlight) for a few weeks.

Shroomery is actually not as helpful to beginners; they seem to have a bit of elitist attitude.

Mycotopia is a far better site simply for the fact that newbies are welcomed and they have thousands of growlogs and TEKs that you can read. They recently updated the whole site so some things are hard to find, but spend a few hours in the vaults and you'll understand the whole fruiting process far better.

Don't think you'll need a heater, other then the "mushroom pot" which had an already sterilized substrate in it; mine just came with a small plastic tray- the sort of plastic box a takeaway comes in, a plastic humidity bag and some vermiculite, it says pour hot water on the vermiculite then birth the cake, put it in the humidity bag then put it somewhere warm (24oC which is pretty much room temperature) where there is some sunlight but no direct sunlight. It then says wait 1-3 weeks, when you have harvested one crop add more water to the vermiculite and I "should" get another couple of crops.
My grow kit was only cheap £10, and really simple, I have faith in it without using any other expensive equipment, the vendor said I would not need any other equipment and he said he was interested in mycology and have used the kits himself. The only extra I had to buy was the spores, which seem to have worked since I have had a big boost in mycelium growth recently.

-EDIT-
Shroomery is actually not as helpful to beginners; they seem to have a bit of elitist attitude.
I wouldn't say elitist attitude but i know what you mean, I don't think it's good for beginners because people seem to use expert terminology and talk about advanced subjects, but if you search your question on Google and shroomery.org comes up then it's worth the look you can find some great information on there.

would posting a youtube video on the PF-tek (recommended for beginners) be considered as sourcing or break the BLUA in any other way? i actually know a good one...

would posting a youtube video on the PF-tek (recommended for beginners) be considered as sourcing or break the BLUA in any other way? i actually know a good one...

Can't see anything in the BLUA or Psychedelic Drugs Forum Guidelines to prevent you linking to it or posting content so long as it's all public domain stuff you're at liberty to make use of, and so long as it's not tied with a specific commercial supplier who might have an interest in you circulating it, or contains anything in the content or elsewhere on the originating site that makes that link, though I can't imagine what that interest might possibly be? Can't see all that much potential for viability financially selling pressure cookers, old jam jars, tinfoil and laggy bands as PF-TEK essential 'kit' to the unwary beginner. :lol: Noone could be that naive as to make even the attempt to turn obvious junk into something that looks like something other than it is a good idea that would even keep the website costs sorted to stay up and running till the next poor sap shows up, could they?

Or could they? Hmmmmmm.

*ponders, stroking chin for a moment.*

Anyways, I'm not a Mod so I might be wronger than the wrongest thing in a shop full of wrong things all over this, but if I am, I'm sure a friendly Mod will edit out any offending items before going on to explain why I'm wrong and how posting what you did was foolish and bravehardy enough to warrant the most ruthless form of ass-raping available. ;)

Last edited:
LOL you're talking about everyone who has access to the internet here, that's a lot of strange, unique and sometimes desperate people :p
Like if you lived in a recycling dump like a tramp but happened to have an Ipad to sell the jam jars and crap you had, I would do it

well, my concern is that even though it doesn't tell you where to get illegal things, it sure is a guide to produce an illegal substance. please, can a mod shed some light on this?

well, my concern is that even though it doesn't tell you where to get illegal things, it sure is a guide to produce an illegal substance. please, can a mod shed some light on this?

Since we have cannabis growing discussion I don't think that's much of an issue.

We don't allow synthesis discussion - we do allow mushroom growing discussion though and we even have a big thread for it already :D

Just so you know OP, I'll merge this thread with the main one once you've had a chance to reply - there are a lot of smart growers in there who'll be able to help you from start to finish :)