• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids The Opioid Withdrawal Megathread and FAQ

Well. I'm stoned. Buds.. Anyway so I been on opiates since 07 sub since 09 and just two weeks ago I quit cold turkey. The reason this happend is every month I goto the sub dr I get urine screened. Couple months ago I got into cocaine badd. So I ended up testing pos for cocaine....

Soooo, dr tells me I gota see him every week plus pay 150 each time and goto group once a week plus buy the script would end up costing 1200 for the month. So I told him thT fuck that I willl quit son.

So I quit....

I bought crap load vitamins ensure all the amenities that you need bananas two weeks off work. 6 days worth adderal 50mg a day 20 bag of coke each night plus 2mg xanax for 6 nights.

I took that shit for 6 days and still worked at a restourant.. I was flying at work sweating my assss off gags.

So the 3 ways combo of those drugs got me through the first 6 days but boy when that 7th day came.. So horrible. But just that day the first day really sober and damn drink a lot of water.

Then the next day I felt a lot better here I am on day 13 and I'm fine. Only prob the rls. And sneeze but other then that I'm been back to work but heavy energy

Peace

HELP! Opiate Withdrawal: Day 1

I'm new to this site...but have been lurking for ages.
I am a little over 24 hours clean from my last dose of heroin. I sniff it--i do not use intravenously. Started heavily using maybe 2-3 months ago and before that was dabbling mostly with 30 mg oxys and 20 mg oxys daily. Upped myself to the big H mostly due to the fact that its cheaper, stronger, you know the drill...:|. Anyways, my boyfriend and I are going on a cruise on saturday. I had known it would be time to quit a week in advance (pushing it a little..yes..however i just wanted the physical withdrawal symptoms to run their course before we left). I am on hour 24 of no opiates. I was not a VERY heavy user (anywhere between 3-8 bags per day depending on the money I had). I prepared for this by collecting a few .5 xanaxes, and a bunch of 50 mg trazadones for sleep. This morning upon waking up, the death began. I was weak, the diarrhea was unbearable, I went into work and ended up having to leave an hour later. I could not do it. I took two of the xanaxes, hoping for the best, but ended up feeling drowsy and no relief from any other symptoms. Took 3 immodiums which stopped the diarrhea.
When i got home, i got through to my guy for suboxone. I've heard this only prolongs the withdrawal, but as you other bluelighters must know, the pain I was going through was too much to not rip off a small piece of it and stick it under my tongue. I then passed out for a few hours and woke up feeling much much better. Now I am sitting here writing to you guys looking for as much advice as possible to get me through this withdrawal and hopefully feel better by Saturday when we leave. I have to work everyday this week in order to have money to bring with me. I have 1 and a half strips of subs left. Should I leave them alone tomorrow unless i'm feeling incredibly weak again? Or am I screwing myself more? Should i take the trazadone tonight to sleep and if so, how many? When do I take the xanax? I am so clueless:?:?:?. Just please help me get through the next 2 days to get this dope out of my system. Please help. Thank you.

Methadone withdrawal, pure agony. halp.

Hey guys. I have been lurking for quite a while now and decided it was time to register & ask some questions.
2 days ago, I was removed from my Methadone clinic because of financial problems.
I was on 40 mg liquid daily for a little over a year & am cold turkeying this, obviously, because I have to. Not by choice.

I say day 2, but really this is how it happened:
Sunday, I did not dose. Decided since I knew this was coming, I wanted to get high one last time. (stupid drug addict thinking.) I double dosed, because of the take home for Sunday.
Monday, was dropped 10 mg to 30 mg & sent on my merry way.
Today, I've had nothing and am already feeling pretty rough. Pretty rough is definitely an understatement. I feel like I did when I decided to go to the clinic in the first place. (I was shooting 120 mg Oxycodone, daily. More when I could.)

I can't eat, I've throw up once, so not too bad I guess. I can't sleep. Severe R-L-S. I just feel like these withdrawals set on VERY quickly, and am kind of mind blown. I have yet to experience diarrhea & am actually still quite constipated. I guess I just decided to post this to get some insight on what I can do, if anything, to give this agony a little less of an edge.

How long can one typically expect to experience this hell? I've heard anywhere from 15 days - 2 months.
I've taken 2 HOT baths today, taken a Lyrica, Soma & a hand full of Melatonin & still cannot get sleep. I'm not sure how to get through this, let alone without sleep. I am at my lowest low, ever.
Depression has set in as well. Beating myself up over getting on the Methadone, but it was a last resort because I had my baby son on the way & could not continue down the reckless road I was on, for both of our sakes.

Any help through this would be greatly appreciated. This has taken so long to write, so i'm sorry if it's scattered. I've had to get up and move around because of the R-L-S, a lot & all I can think about is running into town to grab some dillies & put 'em in my arm.

Last edited:
I wanted to update this. I've now taken 1 lyrica 150mg, 1 soma, 1 iron 325 mg, 4 melatonin 10mg. Still not sleepy, but my RLS has subsided tremendously! I really think it was the iron pill. It was the last medication I took. I am absolutely amazed, so I wanted to share.

I am afraid that I can't offer you much advise as to what you are going through but you have come to the right place. Just know that I will be thinking about you and will say a prayer as well.

I appreciate that, Hank. The RLS is back and I'm about to rip my legs off. I don't feel like I can do this, but I don't have a choice. Anyone know if the OTC RLS pills actually work?

Probably won't get replies until after this is all over with anyways. People have lives, i just wish i still did.

Last edited:
The one thing I rarely see mentioned is how withdrawal works in a long term addict. I'm coming up on 10 years of use now and have climbed the ladder up and back down again.

For me every time I go back I end up with horrible acute withdrawal the day after. Sometimes I can get away with one use, but one use usually turns into a run. If I have a two-three day run then quit I'll go through a 12-24 hour withdrawal phase that's really bad. Not as bad as when I had an Opana + benzo habit but worse than I would have expected with the level of substances I have been using. We're talking been clean for 2 years and can nod off 40-50mg of Hydrocodone type of sessions.

If I use for a week I might has well have never quit hard opioids. Even Hydro will leave me in a bad way and I have to ride out "the flu" at home for three-four days. Every time I go back and use the withdrawal just seems more pronounced, lasts longer, and sets in faster. If doesn't matter if I opt for morphine or oxycodone or whatever else. Two nights of use and I'm fucked.

Any other long term off again on again users notice this?

Absolutely my brother. Two nights of use and I'm going to be "considerably uncomfortable" the third night without opiates in my system. Three nights in a row and I will be in fully pronounced withdrawal, regretting every decision I've made in the past 72hrs. Easier said than done, but I've managed to avoid sickness the past month by sticking to one day on, two days off. Not necessarily that pattern on repeat.... but if I use one day, I'm DEFINITELY not gonna use the next day. No matter what. It keeps me clean for the most part.

The key is mental strength. If you're just coming off opiates long-term, this isn't gonna work for you. You need to first prove to yourself that you can exercise some degree of control over your use. A few times a week. A couple days on, a couple days off. Learn how to cope with minor withdrawal and become a pro at it. FUCK feeling sorry for yourself and PAY THE PIPER for choosing to get high every day for these past three weeks.... you get what I'm saying?

At least that's what I did. Then I decided I wanted to be.... mostly clean. I wanted to do away with...

- The PHYSICAL NEED for opiates.
- The priority of shooting opiates over all other priorities in my life.
- The health risks that come with the game
- The overall unhealthiness such as being skinny, bags under my eyes, etc.
- Money issues

So I quit for a few weeks. After three weeks the opiates were pretty much completely out of my system and I began to use one bag of heroin once a week. With my diminished tolerance, I got a lot higher than I expected. At first the mental craving to do another bag the next day was almost overwhelming, but I dealt with it.

If you can't put it down.... don't pick it up

My friends you can easily quit the heroin with little to no effort

all you need is help from god

Find god and he will forgive your sins and allow you to quit painlessly.

The worse part of when i am out and can't find any is a complete lack of interest in anything at all.The pain reaches a 15 out of a 1-10 scale. and sleep is impossible.I keep a count down journal until i can get my refills. 33 hours ta go.Why can't we just sleep for like 3 days and wake up with our meds?I watch drug inc. and almost everyone on heroine started with pain meds first. I do not wanna be 1 of these people. But I think my slope is getting very slippery.I need ta do something about this before it gets even more out of hand.I tried Kratom and it was a blessing straight from the almighty himself/ But the wit drawls came back in just a few hours. If it worked longer i could use that instead. I really like Kratom.But like I said. it doesn't last very long at all for me. Is there ways to make it last maybe 6 hours? The tolerence on forums says it builds like super fast. and also there's only so much u can take before u plateau.I can't say i started using to be using. It was from a wreck.But it's taking over at an alarming rate.

Absolutely my brother. Two nights of use and I'm going to be "considerably uncomfortable" the third night without opiates in my system. Three nights in a row and I will be in fully pronounced withdrawal, regretting every decision I've made in the past 72hrs. Easier said than done, but I've managed to avoid sickness the past month by sticking to one day on, two days off. Not necessarily that pattern on repeat.... but if I use one day, I'm DEFINITELY not gonna use the next day. No matter what. It keeps me clean for the most part.

The key is mental strength. If you're just coming off opiates long-term, this isn't gonna work for you. You need to first prove to yourself that you can exercise some degree of control over your use. A few times a week. A couple days on, a couple days off. Learn how to cope with minor withdrawal and become a pro at it. FUCK feeling sorry for yourself and PAY THE PIPER for choosing to get high every day for these past three weeks.... you get what I'm saying?

At least that's what I did. Then I decided I wanted to be.... mostly clean. I wanted to do away with...

- The PHYSICAL NEED for opiates.
- The priority of shooting opiates over all other priorities in my life.
- The health risks that come with the game
- The overall unhealthiness such as being skinny, bags under my eyes, etc.
- Money issues

So I quit for a few weeks. After three weeks the opiates were pretty much completely out of my system and I began to use one bag of heroin once a week. With my diminished tolerance, I got a lot higher than I expected. At first the mental craving to do another bag the next day was almost overwhelming, but I dealt with it.

If you can't put it down.... don't pick it up

Good to know I'm not the only one out there. I've been mostly clean going on 2 years now aside from a couple of days/weeks of use here and there. I don't crave opioids every day anymore and I rarely think about them. Eventually I'll get a craving and it'll overwhelm my thinking until I go out and get something (even if I wait a week or two before using). A one time use will straighten me out and I won't think about them anymore for a long time if I quit then and there.

My issue is when I decide to use again the next day (or the day after). If something is available on hand I will use it, and I will continue to use until I get very high. There is no saving a morning dose with me, once I'm above a certain level I just continue to blow through the stash until it's all gone. God forbid I do someone a favor and they give me pills instead of cash, those things never last too long if they are in the house.

I know this isn't a good way of thinking so I avoid them all of the time now unless that thing clicks in my head and I start obsessing about a nod session for weeks at a time. I'll even turn the opioids down from the doctor/dentist for fear of what would happen if I had an entire bottle of pills in the house. But an addict I remain.

Maybe one day the withdrawals will get horrible enough that I'll quit all together. I doubt that day will ever come though. :) Oh well my current situation is better than before at least. No more daily grind to score and I don't have to deal with "those people" (friends stealing/scamming) anymore unless I go out of my way to do that.

Oh one last thing: The last time I went into withdrawal I had used for 5 straight days and by day two I was still sick in a bad way. Nose running, the bubble guts, unable to hold down food/no desire for food etc. A friend was kind and offered me about 3-5mg of oxycodone. I took that and all symptoms subsided within 15 minutes. I had a STRONG desire to do more but was not allowed anymore out of his stash. I showered, cooked and ate a good meal and drank a ton of water. 4 hours or so after taking the oxycodone I could feel withdrawal setting back in but not nearly as bad as before. I woke up the next day still in minor withdrawal but no where near as horrible as it would have usually been for me.

So I guess tapering does work...as long as you have great self control or no access to more opioids. :)

Hey, Kara.April. I am currently on day 4 of a CT 40 mg methadone withdrawal. I'm an absolute train wreck. I wouldn't take any subs. I know this is hard, but in my experience it just prolonged the agony. If you absolutely cannot handle it, then take them. 1 and a half strips isn't a shit load. I've been doing this with Lyrica 150 mg, Soma (unknown MG, lol), Tramadol 50m g, Lidocaine Patches 5% on my legs when RLS sets in, Multi Vitimins, iron 325 mg & melatonin 10 mg. I hate to say this, but I haven't had relief from any of this other than when i take 2-3 of the Lyrica. Then i'm still very sick, but can manage bc RLS is gone. If you're able to get Lyrica/Gabapentin, they're absolute life savers. Just be careful with them. I've never withdrawn from Lyrica, but i've heard it's pretty shitty. I've had a very hard time sleeping. Even after taking 100 mg Melatonin, no sleep. I'd take the Xanax when I really needed sleep. Ofc, be careful with those as well, you know this. We're on the right path. I know right now it just feels like hell, but it'll get better. It has to. Hang in there, buddy!

Dood you gotta eat good and get a ton of vitamins bannas lot of water and juices. I'm clean now 17 days and I'm starting to feel a lot better

Headphones. I know exactly what you mean be trying to save some for them bad bad days. I put 4 hydros in a bottle 1 night and told myself they were incase of emergencies only. about an hour later I saw that they were gone. I have no memory of even taking them.Can u develope a muscle memory for openning ur bottle and taking themwithout being fully conscience you did that? I am guessing this isn't a very good sign.It's like I was possessed or something. Next time i'm going to hide them from myself. Or atleast not keep them in my veiw. Some wierd jeckel and Mr. Hyde stuff going on here..Has this ever happened to anyone else?. Peace and love to you all.

Just a random thought. I would like to visit the Enterprise. I bet Dr. Crusher has the best stuff there is in stock. Or maybe have Data reprogram my food replicator. lol..

I'm new to this site...but have been lurking for ages.
I am a little over 24 hours clean from my last dose of heroin. I sniff it--i do not use intravenously. Started heavily using maybe 2-3 months ago and before that was dabbling mostly with 30 mg oxys and 20 mg oxys daily. Upped myself to the big H mostly due to the fact that its cheaper, stronger, you know the drill...:|. Anyways, my boyfriend and I are going on a cruise on saturday. I had known it would be time to quit a week in advance (pushing it a little..yes..however i just wanted the physical withdrawal symptoms to run their course before we left). I am on hour 24 of no opiates. I was not a VERY heavy user (anywhere between 3-8 bags per day depending on the money I had). I prepared for this by collecting a few .5 xanaxes, and a bunch of 50 mg trazadones for sleep. This morning upon waking up, the death began. I was weak, the diarrhea was unbearable, I went into work and ended up having to leave an hour later. I could not do it. I took two of the xanaxes, hoping for the best, but ended up feeling drowsy and no relief from any other symptoms. Took 3 immodiums which stopped the diarrhea.
When i got home, i got through to my guy for suboxone. I've heard this only prolongs the withdrawal, but as you other bluelighters must know, the pain I was going through was too much to not rip off a small piece of it and stick it under my tongue. I then passed out for a few hours and woke up feeling much much better. Now I am sitting here writing to you guys looking for as much advice as possible to get me through this withdrawal and hopefully feel better by Saturday when we leave. I have to work everyday this week in order to have money to bring with me. I have 1 and a half strips of subs left. Should I leave them alone tomorrow unless i'm feeling incredibly weak again? Or am I screwing myself more? Should i take the trazadone tonight to sleep and if so, how many? When do I take the xanax? I am so clueless:?:?:?. Just please help me get through the next 2 days to get this dope out of my system. Please help. Thank you.

merged

Hey guys. I have been lurking for quite a while now and decided it was time to register & ask some questions.
2 days ago, I was removed from my Methadone clinic because of financial problems.
I was on 40 mg liquid daily for a little over a year & am cold turkeying this, obviously, because I have to. Not by choice.

I say day 2, but really this is how it happened:
Sunday, I did not dose. Decided since I knew this was coming, I wanted to get high one last time. (stupid drug addict thinking.) I double dosed, because of the take home for Sunday.
Monday, was dropped 10 mg to 30 mg & sent on my merry way.
Today, I've had nothing and am already feeling pretty rough. Pretty rough is definitely an understatement. I feel like I did when I decided to go to the clinic in the first place. (I was shooting 120 mg Oxycodone, daily. More when I could.)

I can't eat, I've throw up once, so not too bad I guess. I can't sleep. Severe R-L-S. I just feel like these withdrawals set on VERY quickly, and am kind of mind blown. I have yet to experience diarrhea & am actually still quite constipated. I guess I just decided to post this to get some insight on what I can do, if anything, to give this agony a little less of an edge.

How long can one typically expect to experience this hell? I've heard anywhere from 15 days - 2 months.
I've taken 2 HOT baths today, taken a Lyrica, Soma & a hand full of Melatonin & still cannot get sleep. I'm not sure how to get through this, let alone without sleep. I am at my lowest low, ever.
Depression has set in as well. Beating myself up over getting on the Methadone, but it was a last resort because I had my baby son on the way & could not continue down the reckless road I was on, for both of our sakes.

Any help through this would be greatly appreciated. This has taken so long to write, so i'm sorry if it's scattered. I've had to get up and move around because of the R-L-S, a lot & all I can think about is running into town to grab some dillies & put 'em in my arm.

merged