The Synthpop thread

MDMAhead

Bluelighter
Amazingly, we don't already have a Synthpop thread. But I absolutely love the stuff, and surely there must be some other people on here who do too (?)

This is the thread for people to give their opinions on the genre, as well as to post their favourite tracks.

I'll start the ball rolling with my alltime synthpop top 10 (OK so this whole thread may just be an excuse for me to do another of my 'top 10's :) ) :

(in no particular order)

Electronic - Disappointed

Telex - L'Amour Toujours

Pulp - Babies

Gary Numan - Cars

Pet Shop Boys - West End Girls

New Order - Blue Monday

Kraftwerk - The Model

Underworld - Underneath The Radar

Depeche Mode - It's No Good

Dead Or Alive - You Spin Me Round (Like A Record)

:)

No Soft Cell?

They didn't quite make the cut, unfortunately (although 'Tainted Love' is a brilliant song!!!). Other notable absentees include The Eurythmics, Yazoo, Erasure, Duran Duran, Heaven 17, Frankie Goes To Hollywood. But hey, it's a top 10, so there were always gonna be some good acts who missed the cut :)

This is so funny b/c I got invited to see Tanlines and Brahms the other night. When I heard each, I thought to myself "I bet MDMAhead would like this."

I liked 'em both, although they're a bit different to 80s synthpop.

|>R()|)!G/-\|_ - have you heard any Freebass? - they're a collaboration between Peter Hook (Joy Division/New Order) and Mani (The Stone Roses/Primal Scream)

- Freebass - Live Tomorrow You Go Down

I don't know how in the world we left out the Pet Shop Boys. I love them. I was six when "West End Girls" reached #1 on US charts. It played everwhere and I remember it being the first song that really made me want to clap my hands and dance around. It was aways playing on US radio so I heard it almost everytime I was in the car with my mom. A year or two later, they released "What Have I Done to Deserve This". I remember hearing it and asking my mom who it was. She told me Pet Shop Boys and I haven't forgotten the name since.

Also, I don't know if this qualifies as synthpop but it's surely gay enough to be a contender.

^^^^^^
I missed it. I was too busy responding to the thread bump. I got an invite to see Brilliant Pebbles on Friday. I don't know if I'll go but I think they might qualify as modern synthpop.

I'd say probably not (although it's a great song, and I have absolutely no problem with you posting it in this thread!!!) But to me, it has more of an 'indie' feel to it - y'know - it sounds more like the Stone Roses, with a big emphasis on guitar rather than synths. But like I say, it's a great song regardless!!!!!!

Does this count as synthpop:

Erasure - Always

Sorry about that, it's just a song from my childhood. I was like 4, living in India... :)

This is definitely synthpop, and I absolutely love it!!!!!

Probably my favourite Erasure song though (and one that came a whisker away from making my alltime synthpop top 10) is:

Erasure - Blue Savannah

- such a happy song, and I remember it well from when it came out =D

What about Depeche Mode? Would you guys qualify them as synthpop? While they do have the classical 80s synthpop sound, I always get the feeling them are more non-EDM than EDM.

Saw them live in Moscow back in 2005. It was pretty cool show even though the tickets are way overpriced.

Depeche Mode - Enjoy the Silence

One of my all time favourite DM songs. Kinda funny that I got into DM by hearing a remix of this track by Linkin Park. Well you got to start somewhere. :)