• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin Smoking heroin

DustnRoses

Bluelighter
I was just thinking about this, and it may sound stupid, but I figured this is the place to ask. One of the downsides to smoking tar is that a good amount of the product literally goes up in smoke (or vapor I guess). To counter that, would it be possible to make a tube so the excess smoke can't escape? For example, you have your piece of foil, and your straw, hollowed out pen, whatever. Could you like, wrap the foil around the base of the straw, so all smoke would go straight up? I realize you couldn't "chase the dragon" but how important is that? Is it important to chase it up and down the foil, rather than just burn it in one spot, or a small area?

Another idea I had is having only a small piece of foil, and basically wrapping it around the tip of the straw you're not inhaling from, with the piece of H in it. So its like an extension on your tooter...

Yes, to get the most out of your gear you're best off running it up n down the foil and not letting it fully bubble and "smolder".
To help get it all, I would suggest making a wider tooter with some thick paper and sellotape. That way you'll be able to suck up more and loose less ;)

If you were to wrap foil around the straw / pen then it would end up melting the plastic and it wouldn't be very efficient anyway.

I actually devised a rather crude method of capturing all the smoke, when I began using, as a smoker.

I would fold the foil into a sort of "ladle", which had a mouth that was only about an inch in diameter. Very simple.. There would be a "handle" that stuck out from the ladle, which would never get hot because of its distance.

The straw could be held just inside or just outside the mouth of the ladle, and not a single wisp of smoke would escape. In fact, it would look kind of cool - a sort of tornado would occur. Plus, one could simply turn the ladle back and forth to spiral the melting dot or blob around the ladle.

Every other technique I read about seemed rather unnecessary and wasteful (like a bong, or something someone called a "hootong" lol)

Using any device involving water is a bad idea as Heroin is water soluble, so you'd end up loosing loads in the water which would eventually turn into Morphine.

Breathe, I'm interested in what you're saying, but I really can't put a picture in my head of what you're describing. Could you post a picture?

i think it would look like a lightbulb, but with foil so it heats up better

^Yes, sort of like a light bulb..but one with a long handle extending from it.

DustnRoses - unfortunately, my camera kerploded a while back. But I will attempt to describe the usual creation of it, in words.

Grab a normal roll of foil - the kind that is 12" tall, by [pulled length] wide. Pull out about 8 inches of it, and tear off. You now have a 12"/8" sheet. Now rip it in half, down the middle of the 12" side, so that you have two somewhat identical 6"/8" sheets.

Put one aside. Take one, and fold it in half - softly - along the 8" length. Kind of like you were about to make a typical paper plane, from foil. Now, remember how if you were to make a paper plane, you'd now fold DOWN two ends of the flaps? Well, in this case, you're going to fold them IN towards each other, but don't actually press the fold - bring them towards each other, with one overlapping the other, and hold it there. You should now have a large pointy end sticking out just below your grip on the two flaps - fold that pointy end up against the two flaps you're holding together.

You should now have one end that is rounded off, and stable. This is the "top" of the mouth of the ladle I mentioned. Now, measure down the length - from the rounded end you just made, about 2 inches, and close the remaining distance of foil together. You should now have an opening, and the ladle is taking shape. However you want, just crush the length of foil you just brought together, making the HANDLE. It may seem ridiculously long, but there's a reason for that.

Now, you can fine-tune the inside of your ladle, so that it's smooth. Just press on it and smooth out the wrinkles/jagged edges. MAKE SURE you push up the "back" of the ladle head, so that the handle is NOT a part of the ladle head - push it up as a ladle would actually be, curving upwards to meet the handle, so that whatever is carried in it doesn't just spill "into" the handle.

You can test it with little bit of tar, and see if your opening is too big/small. check it out, and make adjustments accordingly. You'll notice that there is literally no way for the smoke to escape without going thru your straw/whatever you use.

I used to use this method at all times when smoking, but particularly worked well while driving. I do NOT recommend anyone smoke H while driving, but I did - and I could bend the handle in such a way that the ladle-head was hidden within my hand, so when I'd light the bottom, straw in mouth reaching into the "ladle", I actually looked to be lighting a cigarette from the outside.

Hope that makes sense to you. If it's too complicated thru words, I'll try drawing a diagram for you. Let me know.

p.s. - Maybe someone else can help me out with this, but if I remember correctly, I was often told NEVER TO SMOKE FROM THE SHINY SIDE.. always smoke off the DULL side, I think - I THINK!! Pretty sure.. But don't take my word for it, until someone backs me up..

Last edited:
I was about to ask, why not just snort it, since I've always been very scornful of burning your heroin, "up in smoke." At least freaking snort it or shove it up your ass I used to scream at my friends. I used to not share it with people who planned to smoke it, insisting they snort (which is unpleasant, as I'm talking about western USA "Mexican Black Tar" heroin).

But then I got on Wikipedia just to be sure, and followed one of the links on bioavailability. Apparently smoking gives you 52% bioavailability, which is pretty good, actually. Though the "Cmax" (maximum level in blood?) was 2-6 times higher in injection.
http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/118592684/abstract?CRETRY=1&SRETRY=0

I find no data on intranasal bioavailability. But subjectively, I never would've guessed that smoking was half as strong as shooting. I've always thought that even SNORTING was more than twice as strong as smoking it. Anybody have an opinion/information on the comparison with snorting (or rectally, which has worked for me when the situation called for it)?

I'd say that snorting works better on the grounds that you don't lose any, like you do with smoking. Plus it lasts longer, so all around I'd say its a better value.

I used to curve the sides of the foil to try to direct the smoke in order to minimize smoke lost when doing foilies, that kind of works.

The best way I've found to smoke heroin though with a minimum amount of smoke lost is to get the following equipment:

small propane/butane tank with the attachable torch device
safety pin
paper clip
straw or pen
dope

1. Unfold the safety pin and paper clip.
2. Put a small amount of dope on the point of the safety pin
3. Put torch on a low flame
4. Heat one end of the paper clip
5. Touch glowing end of clip to the dope on pin
6. Inhale resulting smoke

Since you're only heating a small area of dope at any given time, you can catch most of the ensuing smoke. The downside is that it takes a bit more dexterity to do on your own than lighting a piece of foil...most people I've seen require a friend to heat the dope while they inhale, at least the first few times they use this method.

WOW! You guys are fucked up.....

I've been using straight for about 1 and a half year maximum 2 years now and all my buddies that don't inject smoke it, very few do snort it. The H we get around the Toronto area is pretty high quality in comparison to American or even Central Canada- Western Canada. Right now with a gram a day smoked tolerence, I can still get an actual high (nod, etc) from smoking 40mg-50mg in a few hits (2-3 min).

The only pepople I know who snort H are the people that haven't perfected the method to smoke it.

What I do is, 1) Have it finely crushed and placed on foil, 2) instead of pen I use a hollowed out marker so its larger/thicker and when I smoke like previously mentioned running it up and down the foil not letting it fully bubble and "smolder".....this is done by making sure its already meltin while you run it down or up (though it's optional not like its 2x more efficient) , 3) Flame put to foil and inhale above maybe 5cm-10cm max from the powder.

As for snorting v.s. smoking I've only snorted H 3-4 times and I didn't find it very special so I just smoked it. Its not that its not effective, most sources say that b/c there is a possibily to loose smoke when chasing the same amount u would chase will get in you by snorting.

The only way I can think u would loose h smoking is if the powder on the foil catches fire while lighting it, or by not being careful and missing/wasting the smoke. Also the smaller the amount you place for 1 hit the better and more efficient your hit will be.

Conclusion: 1 point snorted will last me just as long as smoked but smoking is better, more effecient, and you can titrate your dose. Snorting is better for quiting however you need to weight it up on a miligram scale so you have more control like with phamaceuticals.

I'm assuming that, being in Toronto, you get white? Out here where I live, it's tar, always. I actually don't think I would enjoy white more than tar though, since tar is very easy to smoke. I'm liking all these ideas, especially the ladle one.
I remember reading somewhere about someone using a hollowed out light bulb, which sort of made sense, since you're not putting a direct flame to it...has anyone tried this?

It would work but it's more difficult to control the temperature due to the "thick" glass (compared to foil) retains heat so it will be constant for a while afterwards (and if that's hot, it will burn up your dope for a long time). As soon as you take the heat off foil, the temperature drops back to room temp in a matter of milliseconds. So this is ideal for smoking H.

Powder is just as easy to smoke, you just need to heat it first before it turns into a "liquid".
You can make a design that's just a square of foil, folded on the diagonals with a small, circular "dip" in the middle that you can place your dope in to begin with. Then, with a pair of tweezers in hand grasping the foil and tube in mouth, heat underneath the foil to "liquidate" the dope and then start running it around the center of the foil whilst inhaling the vapours.
When you've had a good hit take the flame off the bottom of the foil and suck for a few more seconds. Then the foil will have cooled, the dope solidified and you can enjoy you hit ;)

Some crazy design ideas in here lol.

Normally I'm smoking fent, but I'd guess the principle is the same.
Get a 1 litre bottle, cut off the top a few inches down. Use that to inhale with.

Or if you want something a bit more permanent:

Roll a post-it note around a pen and using it's own glue to stick it to itself.
Once you've stuck the glue-side down, lick it a little bit and apply some pressure (you'd be amazed at how strong this now is).

Next up take a healthy sized square of tinfoil and place the post-it note tube along the top right edge, with roughly half the tube hanging off the foil.
Roll the foil around the tube like you would a joint, you're looking for the largest cone you can make.
Once the tinfoil cone is made, use some selotape (sparingly) to secure it.
Finally with a bit more tape, tape the tube into place at the small end of the cone.

Trim the foil to a more manageable length (too long and you'll have to suck like a vacuum to inhale the smoke, to short and the benefits of the tube will be lost) and use that to inhale :)

--

Personally I find it much easier with the top of a bottle as they're normally transparent - makes it much easier to see how your gear is doing.

you don't really need all this stuff. you can use a normal size pen hollowed out. a few tips:

1. if you are smoking black tar, roll it up into a ball and kinda "burn it on" real quick rather then squishing it on. basically what this does is prevents the tar from spreading out. when the tar spreads out, you will most likely get blasted with lots of smoke and lose lots of product. if it stays in a ball, the stream of smoke that comes from it will be easy to suck up since it will be small.

2. make sure it trails, always. if it stops and blobs you will lose alot of shit. try to make it trail slowly if you can so that you don't leave fat trails of smokable shit behind it. (this can't be avoided with some cuts.) if you have lots of trails that you can still hit, it's really easy to lose smoke since it is spread out.

3. make sure you are "chasing" the blob and not on top of it. i tend to stay about an inch before the bowl. not above, but away...like lets say you are directly over it...move an inch to the right. this way the smoke makes a "curving" motion into your toot.

4. suck harddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd, most important tip, you can fuck up royally but if you are sucking hard enough it doesn't even matter it will all find its way into the toot as long as you are holding it in the right position.

i lose virtually no smoke most of the time with no macgyver mechanics included

^^I was just about to post the same thing.

Once you get the hang of smoking you wont lose anything its pretty easy, and i always use a piece of straw so its not even a huge tube. Dark is right on with saying to stay about an inch behind the moving blob, i think thats the thing most people dont get at first because it doesnt really seem to make sense until you see it in action.

Also if you use something flexible like straws, you can kind of bite down on the part thats in your mouth to make it so you inhale a smaller volume of air so you can inhale for longer and get huge rips.

I've snorted powder heroin a few times but tonight I'm gonna smoke tar for the first time. I was wondering if it's more efficient to double your foil so its more stable, or use a single layer so that it is more effected by the heat. Any other tips for a first time smoker would be helpful.

Also, how strong is the smell? As in, how long will it last and will it make the whole upstairs of my house smell or stick to one room if blown out the window.

Last edited:
I've snorted powder heroin a few times but tonight I'm gonna smoke tar for the first time. I was wondering if it's more efficient to double your foil so its more stable, or use a single layer so that it is more effected by the heat. Any other tips for a first time smoker would be helpful.

Also, how strong is the smell? As in, how long will it last and will it make the whole upstairs of my house smell or stick to one room if blown out the window.

dont even trip about the smell. if you were sitting next to your dad and he was blind, he wouldnt know anything was up. ive smoked in the back of my moms car while she was driving to tahoe smokin up a storm with the window slightly cracked and she didnt even know. its one of the beatiful parts of smoking tar haha

the first time i ever tried heroin I smoked it by vaporizing on aluminum foil... it was pretty nice... but since then I've snorted and banged it... smoking is more pleasent but for the price of the drug, is not really worth it