• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

[MEGA] Cannabis Quitting Thread aka I need a break

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or you could buy yourself a vaporizer and choose which effect you want on what time.

Smoking is bad, mmkay, and it releases all the active ingredients at once, spoiling a lot of them being burnt. And also, a lot of non-psychoactive but still physiologically active waste products. This is what's "bad" about weed, imo.

I'm not affiliated with them on any level, but I am so proud of my volcano and tell it to everyone who wants to hear

I am at shock at how people perceive Marijuana to be a "non-drug"

I didn't say that, and didn't mean to portray it in what I wrote. I do happen to be one of those people who says cannabis is a drug as much as cocaine is.

I have never experienced negative effects in my 3 years of smoking though, and I have used daily before this, maybe a half a year ago for a couple months as well. So that is why I was wondering. But as it was mentioned these side effects may happen after years of chronic use.

Cannabis is similar to caffeine in terms of it's addiction potential in my opinion. Edit: to be more accurate the dependence of cannabis is half as severe as that of caffeine, the withdrawal half as severe, the tolerance half as severe but the reinforcement twice that of caffeine according to one study, which gets things into perspective. It's just the conflation of cannabis with other 'harder' drugs that leads people to overestimate the addictiveness of it. It is true that taken to an extreme, with every day use it is likely to cause dependence to some extent for many people. The symptoms you described, low appetite, insomnia and nervousness are by far the most common but remember at the end of the day, compared to other drugs like opiates the withdrawal syndrome it is a walk in the park, not that I'm trying to minimize your problems. In terms of the psychological addiction i.e. your habit, it's relatively straightforward to deal with if you have the right psychosocial support, and your family will play an integral role in this if you are up front and honest with them and they are willing to help.

If you've been smoking all day every day then that shows you have a serious weakness for the drug because that's not a normal or healthy pattern of use and perhaps abstaining completely is the best option, otherwise managing your cannabis intake might be difficult. There are different schools of thought on this but for most people in my experience they find it easier to cope if they quit completely for a good while at first. After that it's up to you whether you start again and only you can make that choice.

I don't think it's necessary to go to narcotics anonymous or anything like that unless you deem it necessary, but just removing yourself from situations where people are likely to smoke around you and tempt you will probably be sufficient to prevent temptation from getting the better of you. Over at the Dark Side you can get lots of good advice and support and people are more than happy to help as most have had problems with addiction in one form or another over there and are experienced in the sorts of issues you'll be going through.

As for why withdrawing from cannabis causes things like appetite loss, this might answer your question, although I am not a pharmacologist so take what I say with a large pinch of salt. The endocannabinoid system modulates rewarding properties of food by acting at specific mesolimbic areas in the brain. In the hypothalamus, CB1 receptor and endocannabinoids are components of the networks controlling appetite and food intake. So when you use cannabis 24/7 the brain being flooded by exogenous cannabinoids will cause a down regulation of the endocannabinoid receptors and when you abruptly cessate your cannabis use fewer receptors are available to attach to and you will experience appetite loss as a result, until your brain has a chance to adapt. The main role of endocannabinoids in the brain is to cause you to eat, sleep, relax and to forget, so in theory excessive cannabis use can interfere with these functions of the brain. This is why getting high causes the munchies, sleepiness, relaxation/anxiolytic effects and short term memory loss, although of course none of these effects are permanent once the brain reaches equilibrium again.

Last edited:
I'm going to direct you to our quitting support thread. You will find you are far from alone with these issues. Even if you do not wish to quit, the people posting there have great advice on how to deal with your particular situation.

----> merged

For me, maybe its obvious to some, I find its mostly about [mind]set, and to a near equal extent, setting. You can think to yourself, man this is going to be my last bowl for a week, cus im low and im not going to spend any more money on it! but when the THC is out of your bloodstream and the brain attempts to function without it, your dependence kicks in, and you feel extremely compelled to use again.

So a lifestyle change as in moving to a new house, losing a job, or any significant event (whether good or bad) can really help your efforts. For me, I broke my leg and was bedridden for three weeks. Obviously this was beyond my control, but its been almost a month now without smoking for me, and I've found I can be around people getting high, I can smell it.. and easily turn it down. Personally, its seems to be entirely psychological, and once my mind's made up, it's not that hard. Side note-- I do plan to get high this weekend when my friend's in town, so maybe that negates everything I wrote, but a month for me is alright.

Whenever I get blasted on some killer sativa, I do this..............

tumblr_m65ktnOstt1qdlh1io1_400.gif

I am still fiending, and I also finally found a great job and am able to afford drugs. Work cuts time out of my ability to smoke weed all day, and I am finding that the weed is not messing up my performance per se, but that my interpersonal skills and work ethic are higher if I haven't smoked weed that day. Despite this I wake up early every morning and rock a lot of bong. In order to achieve great success in the "real world" (which is as unreal as it gets in my opinion, the whole system is set up to hide people from their true identity as The One :^P) I feel that I need to quit smoking too much weed. I'd dislike to receive a merely on-par performance review when I know I'm capable of going above and beyond. I just can't seem to care about anything or anyone all that much when I'm on the dope apart from the dope itself. Although liberating in a way, paradoxically, it is also restricting - because of how I feel the need for an external chemical in my body that is illegal (bullshit) and not always available, and also because of how it inevitably makes it harder for me to say things and do things. All depends on your personal philosophy, but I use drugs to become a free spirit, and weed is not helping me with this. Actually I'd say this became a problem years ago and it has yet to resolved. This is odd, because it changes everything so much, it has drastically altered the course of my life and the way I experience my existence.

I get by when I'm stoned all the time, but I do better when I'm off the stuff. I am also flat-out more intelligent in more ways than one when I'm not abusing cannabis. This is sometimes bothersome. The other thing is that it totally fucks me up when I'm withdrawing for a few days, so during that period, I have the option of smoking weed and being chill right away, or battling the cravings, irritability, and burnt out brain feeling for a week until they subside and I end up with a brain functioning at a higher efficiency and even feeling better emotionally. But all it takes is smoking pot once to dive right back into that hole, so I think at this point I am somewhat doomed.

The only time I am sober outside if work is when I don't have the immediate connection like today for instance. When I smoke weed a mere few times I week in small amounts, the consequences of this are wonderful. In theory this makes sense, but in practice I always end up smoking as much as I can. It makes no sense and I am aware of this, but I continue to act on the habitual tendency that has been ingrained in my mind over nearly a decade.

I don't need to quit, I just need to master myself. Sometimes I can control it. Or maybe I do need to quit. I'm always so confused. Unless I've been off it for a while, then I know damn well it does no good. Whether to be on the dope or off the dope, it drives me batshit crazy these days. No drug ever makes me have feelings like this, I just do the other ones and then they're over and done with. Even a month of no weed smoking and I'll still be thinking about it every day. I get baked and there isn't much of an issue until I run out and realize I'm a burnout. Seriously, fuck what this drug has done to me, fuck what I've become, but then again I love smoking weed so very very much.

Last edited:
Damn dude...you gotta make up your mind what you want to do. Why not just smoke in the evenings after your workday is done? Don't wake & bake on a daily basis. Use moderation. I like to think of it as my reward for a productive day. In the evening, I'll have about 3-4 bong hits & be nice & relaxed.
Try thinking of it as something to do after you're thru for the day...not a way to start the day.

Even once a day will totally fuck my head up though, it lingers on inside me like no other. For days it changes me. It steals what is special and cool about me and makes me mediocre - is that worth getting stoned for? To lose everything cool about yourself and all your self confidence just to be another run-of-the-mill burnout? I see them day after day, this shit sucks the life out of people and they have such little self awareness that they don't even notice. At least where I'm from, the weed is strong and there are many slaves to it around. I need to continue working at cold turkey, not let that goal out of sight, and no better day than today. I know I'm just speaking bullshit though and I'll automatically pick up as soon as I can find some of the shit because that's how my mind works, it's ruined me.

Whenever I'm off it I'll drop acid or Mdma on occasion but I'm a hell of a lot better off doing that stuff as I've only ever been addicted to weed, and weed is the only thing that has ever had lingering negative side effects for me, and the only drug I've ever thoroughly questioned my use of and been confused over. The only drug I use apart from booze that I'll wake up feeling like shit after. Above all, the only drug I wake up craving more of, and I've sniffed my fair share of blow and shit like that.

Funny how the reputedly harmless marijuana fries my brain worse than any drug out there by far - in terms of how I'm feeling, how I'm being affected in the long run, it is by far the worst. What the fuck is up with that? I wish I had known, everyone pretends it's harmless, it's all a big lie. Hear me out, this drug is fucking garbage. I've seen it fuck too many of my friends up, and I've been through hell because of it, I have been suicidal over it, been so burnt out I just wanted to die. I've been fighting it for years now and I'm a hell of a lot better off than I was. If this was February, I'd be puking up food unable to sleep at night. So hear me out because I'm otherwise 100% sane. Although I've certainly learned at this point not to trust the general human consensus on many other issues so I shouldn't be surprised here, people have a way of hiding the true nature of things from themselves.

Last edited:
You gotta do what's right for you. I just can't wrap my head around how harmful weed has been for you. In my 43 yrs of weed-tokin, I've NEVER had a bad side effect & the weed I get is primo quality. I have 3 pals who grow & are always sending me some. Devastating stuff.
Plus, back in the 1970s & 80s, I'd be smoking the quality imported weed. Michoacan, Oaxacan, Acapulco Gold, Jamaican, Colombian Red Bud & Gold Bud, Thai-Sticks...all those imports were mind-blowing. In fact, back then, if someone had 'domestic' weed, it was 99% garbage.
Everyone's different.

I recover very quickly which is why it's so hard to stop. It's not that bad and my relationship with it this year has been ok, but lately it has gotten out of control since I got that nice bong. I definitely need a break, the only time you hear me say bad stuff like this about pot is when I ran out of weed like a day or 2 ago after smoking a mountain of it. There are a lot of positives to smoking weed as well, I should continue learning to control my use of it so that these bad downs don't get to me in the future.

Yes, I love smoking weed that much that it's worth it for me to continue this journey of self control. I'll never abandon it.

I guess it comes down to being honest with oneself. While the perceived notion of my peers, countercultural heroes, and some of the media I am influenced by is that weed is a means to liberation, when I take psychedelics I always realize that the drug is utter shit for me. I cannot associate it any longer with peace, freedom, and love... it inhibits my body from experiencing these feelings. It shackles me to highly restrictive chains in multiple degrees of freedom.

It's odd. Ever since day 1, it's only ever been shit for me. Yet I have smoked it thousands upon thousands of times. I crave it, until I think about it. Then I realize that I am craving being stupid. That's really all it does... it fucks up my memory, social skills - it makes me retarded. But due to the spiritual nature of my goals and ambitions, I deem it worthwhile to continue using the drug even though in the "real world" it wrecks me. However, it is not unique to this purpose and I am able to use other psychedelics responsibly. I hardly have an addictive personality if marijuana is taken out of the picture.

It's hard to stop because I recover so quick, I'm already back to my old self after I ran out a couple days ago. I need to at least switch my addiction to something else, I can't take it anymore, I can't be a burnout anymore, anything at all would be better than this. It has a worse effect on my body than anything else I've ever taken, and I cannot believe I haven't beat it yet but by God I will. At least I don't get physical withdrawal symptoms any longer as I've been on-and-off fighting this for years at this point.

Anyways, since I just moved and have no source of pot at the moment I have ordered jwh-203. Who knows, maybe that cannabinoid will work out better for me. I shall be the guineau pig and find out.

Last edited:
when to stop?

I'have been smoking weed daily for like 3 years now. mainly before workout 4-5 times a week and on weekend with my girl! I never really felt any bad side effects beside the money. I love smoking, but a read so many stories on this forum about people getting fuck up after smoking for years. To be honest it scares me a little. Should I stop, reduce? Never had mental problem in the past, always been a very stable mind! Need your advices/ tips on this! thx

If you feel you might be over doing it then simply cut back a bit.

So instead of smoking 5 times a week, try smoking 2-3 times while still smoking with your girl on the weekend and see how you feel after that. You don't necessarily need to stop smoking. You can though, and I'm sure your head will clear up if you do so.

You've nothing to fear but fear itself.

if you want to quit then quit, It can do no harm right?

ive been smoking for.....bout 3 or 4 years. Other than that bitch of a tolerance and a little paranoia if im holding 3+ grams cuz i can't swallow it, no real negative effects.

It's just kinda like a bad habit to me, it wont kill me, but probably wont help a whole lot either.

thanx for your answers guys, I just feel weird about it, because i know i can be weeks without smoking ( i'have been out for vacation for 2 weeks) and didnt even felt the need to smoke. But on the other side, when I have weed on me, cant help myself to smoke before gym or before going to bed or movie times!! Never been a drug user before 3 years ago...im now 24. I keep telling myself..have fun its summer, than stop when university starts in october!

I know what it's like when you have weed, and just can't help yourself from smoking some before a certain event or whatever.
I do the same thing. I smoke up without even thinking before social events, waking up, going to sleep, etc... It's just become a norm in my life.

Enjoy the summer and have fun! When the time comes in October, follow through with what you said and stop. You'll be alright man.

I have been smoking for over 13+ years, i have a family, a decent job, and a happy life. I am quite productive and in good health, i dont think smoking herbs will hurt you or mess you up, it's weed bro, enjoy it like what trees_please said, enjoy it until you dont enjoy it anymore, as far as health goes, maybe your lungs may take a beating but alot less then smoking cigs. besides the end of the world is going to happen on 12-12-12 right?=D

Status
Not open for further replies.