How did you get into Electronic music?

Roose

Bluelight Crew
What sparked your interested in Electronic music?

I was probably around 10 or 11 when my brother's friend gave him a cd that was a techno mix. Without him knowing I took it and started listening to it lol. It was full of Dune, Darude, Prodigy, DJ Mystik things like that and ever since I have always enjoyed techno/electro more then any other style of music. Then a few years later the same friend found out I enjoyed techno and turned me onto Digitally Imported Radio and that's where my love for electronic really started to grow.

If you enjoy any genre of Electronic music I highly highly recommend checking out Digitally Imported Radio.

Friends purchasing dj'n equipment in my late teens. Then listening and loving psy-trance, back when converting vegetariains by infected came out. I loved psy-trance because of that. And listening to the cheese that was nick skitz and trance compillations.

Then I guess the desire to perform, and the joy of trawling the internet for hours to fine that one Gem, then playing that gem to a friend, and seeing them smile. That is what I enjoy.

Sharing EDM is why I love EDM.

I heard THIS on the radio and thought "Oh man what is this?! WHAT IS THIS?! I NEED MORE!!!"

Oh shit, full body tingles just thinking about it. I liken it to the first time I had sex.

^ thats such a kickass song. I <3 The Chem Bro's :)

I swear we have a thread about this...huh...Oh well.

Since I was in elementary school the EDM scene kept popping up in my life. I never payed too much attention to it though because i was (at that time) a little rocker dude. You know, the Deftones lover (which i still am), Eels lover (once again still am), and so on and so forth. I liked what I was hearing though (Chem Bro's, The Prodigy, etc)

I got formally introduced into EDM through music festivals (mainly Coachella and The Electric Daisey Carnival). I was researching artists for each event and thought "oh hey i can dig this". I started doing in depth researching of the artists and realized "oh shit i love this!!"

I was 11 with my cousin who was liek 28 lol and she wanted loud electronic music on her friends car. I then feel in love <3

I was 11 with my cousin who was liek 28 lol and she wanted loud electronic music on her friends car. I then feel in love <3

Oh yeah, forgot to add that to my description too. My brother and his friends would always have techno bumpin in their cars lol

I was watching a PvP movie from World of Warcraft that had electronic music in it. Now whenever I listen to certain songs, it pumps up the WoW nostalgia (hardly worthy of nostalgia :/).

Same thing got me into Tool... and APC, and NIN.

I was watching a PvP movie from World of Warcraft that had electronic music in it. Now whenever I listen to certain songs, it pumps up the WoW nostalgia (hardly worthy of nostalgia :/).

Same thing got me into Tool... and APC, and NIN.

Hahaha, i can honestly say i have discovered a couple bands this way

When I first started dating my boyfriend, he got me into it because he was playing psytrance all the time in the car and at his place. The one thing that REALLY did it for me though was Shpongle's Divine Moments of Truth, which was accompanied by a trippy Flash video. Then he made me a CD of the best, most "accessible" psytrance, and I got hooked. Before electronic music, there was classical and classic rock for me, so it was a bit of a transition. Now it seems like I'm into it more than him sometimes.

He first got into it because of the music in a video game he liked; before there was Guitar Hero and Rockband, there was Beatmania.

Went to a house party and started exploring via P2P ... 1,5 years and 40 parties later I have 35GB of electronic music, everything from commercial (shit) to schranz and IDM.

I'm surprised you've heard of Beatmania! The original PS1 versions are pretty old school yeah, but they've actually kept releasing new games on PS2 as recently as last year.

DJ Shadow, Ladytron, Ratatat, Boards of Canada. Those were what I started with. From bluelight, I discovered a few psy-trance album, and just listened to those for a few years, every now and then hearing a new album. It wasn't till recently that my interest in trance has grown to where I actively seek out new things.

I'm still always discovering new things. There is so much electro out there it's crazy. Some genre's I still haven't really got to take a look at yet.

I must admit, drug use really opened me up to the more extreme types of techno. Mainly Hardstyle and Psy-Trance

I must admit, drug use really opened me up to the more extreme types of techno. Mainly Hardstyle and Psy-Trance

Let me guess............Meth opened you up to hardstyle, and acid opened you up to psy-trance :)

Let me guess............Meth opened you up to hardstyle, and acid opened you up to psy-trance :)

haha close, rolling helped with the hardstyle and acids/shrooms helped with the psy-trance :]

haha close, rolling helped with the hardstyle and acids/shrooms helped with the psy-trance :]

I can't dance fast when I'm on ecstasy. Sure, I can dance all night, but just not fast. I find that tech-house is at the perfect tempo for me to dance to whilst rollin :)

I can't dance fast when I'm on ecstasy. Sure, I can dance all night, but just not fast. I find that tech-house is at the perfect tempo for me to dance to whilst rollin :)

Everyone has their own thing :p. Theres just something about the hard hitting beats in hardstyle that I love so much

@Roose
Hardstyle and Psy-Trance are nothing close to Techno.

Hardstyle is a subgenre of Hard Dance music and is closer to trance than techno but still a light year away from Psy&Goa.
I don't want to be a pain in the ass, but I really like to be a smart ass about music that I listen. :p

Something to make you more comfused ;)
http://techno.org/electronic-music-guide/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_electronic_music_genres

If you want to educate yourself on techno I recommend you start with umek @ i love techno 2001 and go from there...