Social The Live Show Review Thread

Bomboclat

Bluelight Crew
This thread has been designed to write reviews about artists/groups you have seen live. A way to get the message out whether someone is a must see, or a total dud and someone we shouldnt waste our time and money on.

There is only one a few simple rules of this thread (besides following the BLUA and forum guidelines), and that is to post in the posting format:

Name of group/artist:
Rating (1-10):
Review:

After each post we will add it to a master list found in this post so that reviews are a bit easier to find. This will be periodically updated (expect once a month). Please take time when you write your review as reviews that are short not only arent fun to read, they're not exactly helpful and not worth both yours and our time.

Try to describe the full experience; the speaker setup, the lights, the crowd reaction.... try to recall songs played and in what order if possible (I know sometimes it can be hard!) If you know what they were using include that information as well (ie; Ableton, Ableton w/ midi assistance, turntables, and if vinyl ... was software used in combination???) If there was MC's or special guests, mention that as well! Now, this is not a set formula, but rather a mere suggestion of what to post so to give the reader a full experience, much like the one you as a writer experienced.

Please include the event name, location and date (if you are comfortable with providing this information and you are not incriminating yourself). All the dates use the European format (dd.mm.year).

Thanks for taking the time to read this and follow the BLUA and thread rules. It makes things easier for the moderators as well as providing Bluelight with the best DJ review experience possible.

- EMD Crew

Now get started!! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Simian Mobile Disco
10/10

I caught Simian Mobile Disco's set at Lollapalooza '09 and was blown away by it. Ive always liked SMD's recorded music and was expecting a great set, but i wasnt expecting it to be half as good as it really was. The sound quality was phenomenal for a live show. I could feel the bass (something i love), but it wasn't all i was hearing and it didn't overpower the rest of the music. Their song selection was also fantastic. A lot of minimal music, electro, electro-house, and even an Aphex song (best song in the entire set btw. I shat bricks when they dropped Window Licker). Overall the set was one of the best ive seen in my entire life and i cant wait to see them again. I highly recommend checking them out if they play any festival you attend, or show near you.

Longwalkshortdock
10/10

Hailing from Vancouver, this Live PA master plays unique sets every time, mixing glitch, chiptune, IDM, electro, house and many more. His all-original compositions are slammin and upbeat, which causes massive slam dancing. He incorporates live vocals, synths, and about 4 Kaoss pads at a time.
His Myspace

Oh c'mon you guys, i know you have opinions, and iknow you've seen live acts, SHARE THEM!!!! :)

Ill post another

Crystal Castles
3/10

I was extremely excited to see Crystal Castles back in April at the first day of the Coachella Festival. I thought it was going to be one of the best sets and went into it excited. Let me tell you, by the time the set was over, i felt extremely let down and angered that i wasted my time listening to that set when i could have easily seen someone else. The beats were pretty dope, but Alice Glasses drugged out screaming was not dope. not one bit. I felt like i spent time just having someone shout gibberish at me. If i wanted to do that i would have picked a fight with someone who doesn't speak English! 8). I actually feel like that experience ruined their album for me. I now cant listen to their album without feeling that sad sad feeling i felt that day. I wouldn't spend my money seeing them again, and don't plan on doing so any time in the future. (unless of course it was a free show and i was on some dr00gs)

Last edited:
BUMP!.... I'll do a couple of reviews:

Boys Noize
10/10
He is just so cheeky, layering in different sounds, and just having a great time. Would like to give more info, but was a while ago.

Steve Aoki:
10/10

STEVE AOKI, omg saw this crazy man last night at family brisbane. He is such an entertainer. Opened with this great chilled out track, like a classic 1950's song. Then rode the repeat effect for about 1min/2min. Then droped into warp 1.7. Never have I scene a club be more like a mosh pit at a korn concert. He crowd surfed, sprayed champagne all over the crowd. Was going nuts.

Then he played warp 7.7 about 30min latter, which is better imo than 1.7. Went crazy. So no further ado. I present.

The Bloody Beatroots, Steve Aoki - Warp 7.7 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPSg4kOXfC4

If you haven't scene this man, it is an experience, he is very passionate about his music. He is a maniac on stage. And with the finest club sound system around, it was going crazy. I was completely sober for this event. And loved every minute of it.

nonono2.gif
Steve Aoki is an abomination

thank you for your contribution though! :)

nonono2.gif
Steve Aoki is an abomination

I understand people feel his mixing is not up to scratch. But for entertainment value, he is 5 stars. Feel to extend why you feel that way. I'm not going to defend him. But 7.7 and his live shows are something else, he's having fun up there, and is a great performer. I think he upsets people because he disrupts the delicate DJ image that minimal, trance dj's express when they mix. Where as he is very extraverted. I'm not a steve aoki fan boy, but he killed it man, trust me on that. And i've scene the worlds best*, Armin Van Burren, and he killed it in his own way.

* According to people who aren't me. I don't agree with them, as the topic is so subjective you can't have an objective measure.

I understand people feel his mixing is not up to scratch. But for entertainment value, he is 5 stars. Feel to extend why you feel that way. I'm not going to defend him. But 7.7 and his live shows are something else, he's having fun up there, and is a great performer. I think he upsets people because he disrupts the delicate DJ image that minimal, trance dj's express when they mix. Where as he is very extraverted. I'm not a steve aoki fan boy, but he killed it man, trust me on that.

You got the set?

Not sure it was recorded? I'll hunt aroudn. But I doubt it being a club show.

Aphex Twin (DJ set)

9/10

I saw Aphex Twin at the Warehouse Project in Manchester 2 weekends ago. He played from 1:15am-2:45am. The event must have had about 3000 people there, and (unfortunately) every single one of them was crammed onto the dancefloor for Aphex' set. He started by playing electro - tracks would start with a wicked electro rhythm, and then a huge acid bassline would come in and tear the place apart :) After half an hour, I decided to leave the dancefloor for a bit (I'd had enough of people constantly walking past me and bumping into me), however, just as I was leaving, he dropped 'Digeridoo'!!!! - I never realised just how good this track was until I heard it over that soundsystem - it sounded so goddam evil!!! I stayed to dance to that, and then went to the seating area. I sat down for 45 minutes, but then decided I just had to see the end of Aphex' set, so I returned to the dancefloor for the last 15 minutes or so of his set. When I did get back to the dancefloor, Aphex was playing the most intense music I have ever heard in a club!!! He played one track that must have been about 400 bpm, and they were flashing the strobe light on and off in sync with the kick drums!!! It was seriously seriously intense, and, for anyone on acid, I can only imagine it must have turned their trip very sour!!! Overall, I was very impressed with Aphex. I have never before heard the kind of music he was playing in a club, and that alone deserves respect. However, as I missed the middle 45 minutes of his set, I can't give him a 10/10, and so I'll give him a 9. I have since found out (by watching someone else's youtube clip) that he dropped 'Polynomial C' immediately after 'Digeridoo'!!!! I'm gutted I missed it, as Polynomial C is probably my favourite Aphex track. But that dancefloor really was painfully packed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHmUrd8qUrg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqF4Qi6kfEU

Luke Vibert (DJ set)

9/10

Luke Vibert followed Aphex Twin (at the Warehouse Project). Vibert played from 2:45am-4am, which was the last set of the night. Fortunately, a lot of people left the dancefloor after Aphex' set, and so there was a little room to dance. He started off by playing bangin' 4/4 techno - it was really sick!!! Then, about halfway into his set, he dropped 'Powerpill Pacman' (by Aphex Twin), which was obviously good fun :) After that, he played the sickest dubstep I have ever heard (and I don't even like most dubstep!!!), before he finally closed his set (and the night) with 'Isopropanol' (by Aphex Twin) :) Overall, I thought that Vibert was just as good as Aphex, and so I'm giving him 9/10 also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpRJOW8mYYU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXDP7_DIYJk

MSTRKRFT ... 9/10

Fucking amazing is all I have to say. Had the whole crowd dancing for the whole show, and I couldn't hear out my ear that was closest to the speakers for nearly 2 days. Can't fucking wait to see them again next week.

I understand people feel his mixing is not up to scratch. But for entertainment value, he is 5 stars. Feel to extend why you feel that way. I'm not going to defend him. But 7.7 and his live shows are something else, he's having fun up there, and is a great performer. I think he upsets people because he disrupts the delicate DJ image that minimal, trance dj's express when they mix. Where as he is very extraverted. I'm not a steve aoki fan boy, but he killed it man, trust me on that. And i've scene the worlds best*, Armin Van Burren, and he killed it in his own way.

* According to people who aren't me. I don't agree with them, as the topic is so subjective you can't have an objective measure.

NSFW:
Both times Ive seen Steve Aoki i was horrified by his set. His DJing is a but sub par and the only reason he is any big is because he paid his way to the top through his dads money. (for those who don't know, his dad is the CEO of Benihana's, a fairly large chain of Japanese teppan restaurants. They're not all that great IMO.) To cover up the fact that he cant really give a good set, he feels the need to jump around and scream like an idiot to catch peoples attention. When I saw him at Coachella he was playing somewhat good music until the end where he felt the need to play "heavy" rock. He then promptly started to jump around like a doof and scream into the mic. By then i was turned off thinking "oh well it cant get any worse...right?" WRONG. He then stole Girl Talks raft idea and took it to be his own. (it might not be a big deal but it irked me).

The next day I thought it was all over since his set was the day before, but noooooo he had to come in during The Bloody Beetroots set and fuck up Warp 1.7, which they played it as an opener and a closer. I cant listen to that song anymore just because i cant stand his screams on it (and seeing him ruin it at Coach also added to the reason I cant listen to it.) The second time I saw Steve Aoki the music selection was a bit better but he was still there screaming and jumping around like and idiot. I love when DJs get into it and get the crowd going, but Steve Jokester takes it to the next level - annoyance. I just cant stand the lad.

If I were to rate Steve Aoki itd be a 2.7/10

**NSFW tags for long rant, it's "safe for work".**

Shinichi Osawa
9/10

If any of you are familiar with HARD Haunted Mansion you'd know Shinichi Osawa was on the line up for the second day of the rave. I first saw Shinichi at EDC in June and to be honest, wasn't all that impressed but I had an hour to fill and decided to give him another shot since on CD he's amazing and ive heard nothing but good reviews about him. Boy am I glad i gave him that hour. I walked in while his set was already in full action, and I was pleasantly surprised to hear a nice tribal/fidget/electro house set. The mixing was fantastic, and the song choice was outstanding. It was a pleasant way to start my roll, and I would definitely see him again.

Last edited:
Aphex Twin (DJ set)

9/10

I saw Aphex Twin at the Warehouse Project in Manchester 2 weekends ago. He played from 1:15am-2:45am. The event must have had about 3000 people there, and (unfortunately) every single one of them was crammed onto the dancefloor for Aphex' set. He started by playing electro - tracks would start with a wicked electro rhythm, and then a huge acid bassline would come in and tear the place apart :) After half an hour, I decided to leave the dancefloor for a bit (I'd had enough of people constantly walking past me and bumping into me), however, just as I was leaving, he dropped 'Digeridoo'!!!! - I never realised just how good this track was until I heard it over that soundsystem - it sounded so goddam evil!!! I stayed to dance to that, and then went to the seating area. I sat down for 45 minutes, but then decided I just had to see the end of Aphex' set, so I returned to the dancefloor for the last 15 minutes or so of his set. When I did get back to the dancefloor, Aphex was playing the most intense music I have ever heard in a club!!! He played one track that must have been about 400 bpm, and they were flashing the strobe light on and off in sync with the kick drums!!! It was seriously seriously intense, and, for anyone on acid, I can only imagine it must have turned their trip very sour!!! Overall, I was very impressed with Aphex. I have never before heard the kind of music he was playing in a club, and that alone deserves respect. However, as I missed the middle 45 minutes of his set, I can't give him a 10/10, and so I'll give him a 9. I have since found out (by watching someone else's youtube clip) that he dropped 'Polynomial C' immediately after 'Digeridoo'!!!! I'm gutted I missed it, as Polynomial C is probably my favourite Aphex track. But that dancefloor really was painfully packed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHmUrd8qUrg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqF4Qi6kfEU

14.gif

Justice (DJ set). 5/10

Maybe it was the sound system but I was not at all impressed by them. I guess I shouldn't have had my hopes up since it wasn't a live set. I didn't even recognized half of the songs that they played....it could have just been the drugs or the fact that the rave sucked. I'll still give them another shot but definitely not at another Hard fest, or any party by them. I guess this is more of a rant about the party than Justice, lol but still...they could have done a lot better to bring me out of my bad mood.

Justice (DJ set). 5/10

Maybe it was the sound system but I was not at all impressed by them. I guess I shouldn't have had my hopes up since it wasn't a live set. I didn't even recognized half of the songs that they played....it could have just been the drugs or the fact that the rave sucked. I'll still give them another shot but definitely not at another Hard fest, or any party by them. I guess this is more of a rant about the party than Justice, lol but still...they could have done a lot better to bring me out of my bad mood.

The 5/10 on justice I can agree with, but why the boot on HARD? It was a really nice event IMO. Music was awsome, crowd was great (they were actually there for the music rather than there to get fucked up), and there wasnt a crazy mini-riot like there was at HARD Summer! IMO HHM kicked some ass.

-------
Major Lazer
4/10

Diplo has always been "whatever" to me. He's had some really awsome tracks, but every time I see him live im annoyed and left thinking "crap why did I just see that?" I thought with the addition of Switch it'd be a nice show but boy was I wrong! The music selection was nice, and the mixing was alright, but I was about to rip my ears off from listening to that horn so much! And I thought MIA at Coachella was an overkill of the horn sample! Its as if Diplo had his finger the button the entire set! It absolutely killed it for me.