• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

ADHD Alternative/Herbal therapy?

pharmer2011

Greenlighter
Has anyone ever tried any type of complementary/alternative therapy or herbal products for treatment of ADHD? Homeopathic remedies? Acupuncture? Dietary alterations? Meditation? Anyone use non-traditional methods in addition to traditional medication?

~A Curious Nerd 8)

try seeing a therapist and getting cognitive behavioral therapy. it should probably help if they are any good and it's more likely to work in the long term, whereas medication stops working as soon as you stop taking it.

Load up on fish oil. Makes me feel more alert and increases concentration. You literally have to load up on it though, I try and take 8 caps a day :)

I don't have ADHD, I'm just a pharmacy student curious if anyone has found anything to be particularly helpful in treating symptoms, in themselves or their children. I'm concentrating in alternative pharmaceutical treatment and was wondering if anyone had any personal experience?

i have add so its a bit different but i have found a few plants to be pretty helpfull

ginseng is really great as long as its high quality, i'v found the most benefit in american ginseng.

yerba mate is great for concentration as well and very healthy... works a lot better than coffee which often just gets me more distracted

rhodiola rosea was very good for concentration, i took 1 ~500mg cap twice a day and noticed great results

I just cant afford these things though as i am a very poor college student who needs to eat :(

there are a few other plants that look promising, maybe ill make a list of those two in the near future

try seeing a therapist and getting cognitive behavioral therapy. it should probably help if they are any good and it's more likely to work in the long term, whereas medication stops working as soon as you stop taking it.

yup.

likewise, if you're studying ADD and haven't checked it out yet, the book Driven To Distraction is a great source of information.