• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

☛ Official ☚ The Big & Dandy Mescaline Extraction thread

what are the best cacti to use, what ones give best yield and also is yield always directly proportional to a better trip.

i clicked on this to check it out but nothins here yet so.....here goes

i am doing an exctraction right now and this is what i am doing

supplies
cactus- chopped to finely powdered
jar with good airtight lid ( i use small ones like what bud is cured in )
Alcohol: Isopropyl works, use 91%+ preferrably, but since im in TX i use everclear (only sold incertain states)
pie dish (for evaporation)
coffee fillters or cheese cloth or some other filter
razor blades
gellatin capsules
grinder of some sort
pippete or needless syringe etc.

Procedure

1.Grind cactus (morter pestal, coffee grinder, weed grinder etc.)
2. put cactus into jar
3. pour in chosen alcohol let sit about and 1-2inch above cactus
4. let sit for 3-4 days in a dark, room temp place
5. with pippete or needles syringe pull off all the dark green alcohol water above cactus
6. put this dark green liquid in the pie dish for evaporation (lots of diff process' to speed up evaporation but lettin it sit works too, i put my ppie dish with green liquid on top of another same size pie dish with hot water in it and replace the water periodicly)
7. repeat steps 3-6 atleast two more times or you can do it until you no longer get green alcohol.
woops: forgot, the last time you are getting the alcohol off just take the jar and pour it through your filter and strain the cacti into your dish and get all the liguid soaked in them
8. after each batch evaporated you take your razor blade and scrape up the remaining goo. (you can scrape after each time or leave it for one at the end but i scrape each time as the entire process takes about a week -2 weeks and i dont want dust all in it)
(it is similar to the scrape when making BHO or QWISO)
9. take the goo and put it into the gel capsules
10. once all rounds of evap. are done then INGEST

hope this help anyone who was wonderin

if anyone has any diff methods that they prefer i wouldnt mind hearin about them

Lets get this thread started

I've seen this method done with mixed results. The same dose of final product sometimes produced a +++, and sometimes nothing. By far the easiest extraction though.

Also, they'd heat it to where it was near completely dry, scrape it up and add a small amount of baking soda. This would further dry it, and if done right you end up with small black flakes which sparkle in light, this makes it 100x easier to cap and work with in general.
I estimated the dosages at 1g of extract == 10g of plant matter.
Highest dose was 14 caps at .5g extract each; very good experience.

this would have been very helpful information to stumble upon about two years ago, when a friend of mine showed up with an entire cactus and no idea how to extract the 'good stuff'. first we chowed on it raw with ranch dressing, (yuck. just yuck.) then he chopped it up and boiled it down to disgusting sludge that made me hurl, and when it seemed like nothing was working, we gave up and ate mushrooms. i have no idea if it had any effect on us at all. probably not. due to unprepared idiocy and anxiousness to get the party started, so to speak. what a sad waste of cacti.

I've seen this method done with mixed results. The same dose of final product sometimes produced a +++, and sometimes nothing. By far the easiest extraction though.

Also, they'd heat it to where it was near completely dry, scrape it up and add a small amount of baking soda. This would further dry it, and if done right you end up with small black flakes which sparkle in light, this makes it 100x easier to cap and work with in general.
I estimated the dosages at 1g of extract == 10g of plant matter.
Highest dose was 14 caps at .5g extract each; very good experience.

I think i might give this extraction a go,can you think of any reason why it sometimes didnt work for you?

Would be pissed to waste a load lol

Peace

Im really excited that this is now a big and dandy thread. I have been boiling cactus into tea every couple of months for the past few years and i love it!!! I just drank some the night before last. The thing that i love the most is how every cactus is different, i have only had similar trips when i have ingested the same plant twice, and in this way i can prescribe for myself whatever i am feeling like by going back to plants i have taken from before. My only issue is that somtimes i get weak batches which is exceptionally frusterating considering the amount of time and effort that this shit takes to prepare. Does anyone have tips on the tea? I usually use lemon juice and boil on med. for about 5-6 hours.

I plan to graduate to a/b extractions sometime soon. anyone with experience or tips? it would be much appreciated. for those asking about it, this is the best meathod i have read so far:

http://designer-drugs.com/pte/12.162.180.114/dcd/chemistry/mescaline.extraction.html

there is a way to isolate it into pure mescaline, and not just the alkaloids of which mesc. is roughly 50% depending on the plant. I cant remember where i read it but my theory is that following through on this last step would ruin the individuality that i enjoy experiencing between different cacti. I cant wait to try this meathod when i can come up with the money for supplies and a place to cook. i hope this helps you guys; happy tripping.

Oh, and anyone got advice about San Pedro/cacti powder? How much to dose? Is it legit? Any sort of process needed? As strong as eating cuttings?

It works. Extract it with ethanol, then dry the solution until it crystallizes. You can do the same with cuttings in a blender. Vinegar may work here too (acid/base) but you'll get mescaline acetate if it works, and you'll need to use a bit more by weight to compensate for having the acetate salt as opposed to the freebase. If you want to know how much more, find the molecular weights of each and figure it out.

how do they get the long silver crystals as pictured on erowid?

The ends aren't hard except for the core. For example, on the end of one, there is a dark black spot (like a bruised banana, but worse) and when touched it feels gooey and nasty [edit: pic below]. And some other ends appear yellow/orange in spots and appear to be lightly seeping something of the same color. I have heard that fresh cuttings can mold quickly and I do not know if this is mold or rot or if its normal.

How long to you think I will have until they are useless/dangerous to take? or is it already too late? This is by far the worst one but the others have problems too.

Cut off any rotting or soft spots ASAP then put it in the freezer if you're not consuming it right away. When my cuttings got shipped to me the ends were way worse than that; I just cut off the ends and put them in the freezer. I extracted one of them so far and consumed it, went just fine.

It works. Extract it with ethanol, then dry the solution until it crystallizes. You can do the same with cuttings in a blender. Vinegar may work here too (acid/base) but you'll get mescaline acetate if it works, and you'll need to use a bit more by weight to compensate for having the acetate salt as opposed to the freebase. If you want to know how much more, find the molecular weights of each and figure it out.

Perfoming an alcohol extraction and evaporating off the alcohol will not leave crystals; it will leave a crusty brown tar-like substance that contains mescaline and can be parachuted. It works fine for our purposes but it will not give you crystalized pure mescaline.

how do they get the long silver crystals as pictured on erowid?

Those crystals on erowid are awsome aren't they? :)

Unfortunately I'm pretty sure those are from synthetic, pure mescaline. Doing an acid/base extraction on cacti will give you crystals but they'll be much smaller and not as fancy looking. Those crystals will also contain things like hordenine, tyramine, phenethylamine, and whatever other alkaloids are present in the cactus.

STB then extract the mescaline from the non-polar with HCl water. Mescaline is an oil in base form. It's a crystal in salt form.

Grind plant matter> STB > extract with non-polar > add acid water to non-polar layer > extract aqueous layer > evaporate acid water to give you mescaline hydrochloride (if you use HCl).

^yeah, thought so. It being an oil I mean.

Maybe citric acid would work as well, it being more easily available around here and all... kinda like the "agent lemon" DXM extraction...

Yeah, citric acid would work.

HCl is simply "muriatic acid" though. It's easily available at pretty much any hardware store in the paint section.

wouldn't matter, as long as it's not dried out yet. It's the expanding water inside the cells that breaks them apart. Doesn't matter whether the cactus is in one piece or not.

Hey there, I have some questions regarding the A/B extraction, specifically the tek on Mycotopia. Link

It appears that the "Red Devil" brand lye is no longer available commercially, so after much searching I found a drain opener that appears to contain only an NaOH solution. I called the company to ask about the ingredients, but they can't give me the entire formula (it being proprietary). I did, however, get the MSDS which also lists only NaOH. It also lists it as 40% NaOH by weight. It is a clear liquid, with nothing visibly suspended.

Any help on this would be much appreciated, I can also send the MSDS to anyone that wants to see it. Thanks!

What kind of nonsense is that? If they don't want to give you the formula it must have something else in it, so I wouldn't use it. If it is only a NaOH solution after all, aren't they mental?

I have yet to weigh my yield of IPA extraction. It came from 95 grams of San Pedro powder but somehow I think it's not so potent. I tested it before but never could eat enough of it to get a decent effect. I have a tendency to take about 2/3 of my product in a couple of weeks when I have my vacation, possibly with my dad with me (Last time he tried some slimy cactus goo with me but found it so foul that he only ate a couple of bites). The extraction was done with IPA and some water, IPA boils off at 82 degrees so if it's not entirely dry now it shouldn't be a problem.

I also have 15 grams of dried cactus skin, it is supposed to be a strong dose, the guy also sold it in smaller packs. Still havent decided yet what I'm gonna do with it, I think also IPA extraction.

In a while it would be nice to extract a larger amount, First IPA extraction - if one would do 3 pulls what is better, 75% - 85% - 95% ?
Or 95% - 85% - 75% ? Then when it is much more concentrated acid/base extraction, maybe activated coal filtration.
And/or maybe other purification techniques, (anyone?)

Last edited:
I'm not sure. I suppose I can understand if that's a general policy toward their products and the customer service person I got just doesn't know much concerning specifics. I would like to use something less ambiguous of course but my selection is somewhat limited at this point. Out of various hardware stores nearby, I can't seem to find one with an easily identifiable pure NaOH product.

Yeah, I suppose any liquid that seeps out of the cactus will drag some alkaloids along with it.

You're brave for going to drink the tea dude. I only did that the first one or two times I've done this. The taste and nausea produced was more than enough to make me look into extraction procedures. If this is your first time I'd say go for it, drink some tea, see how it tickles your fancy. :)

extensive boiling probably results in a mellower trip because the goodies most likely get partially destroyed in the boiling process. So mellower trip just equals weaker trip.

With extraction there's no boiling involved at all.

For the last long while I've been doing a methanol extraction. You can find some good methods for doing this in a simple google search. (ie type in "mescaline methanol extraction") This will give you a brown tar-like substance that contains the goodies. It can be rolled into balls and swallowed or parachuted with a piece of toilet paper.

You can also do an acid/base extraction that will give you crystals. A bit more labour intensive but this is that I'm going to do next time I do an extraction. Again, google is our friend. :)

I thought most drain cleaners in pellet / solid form were like pure NaOH. At least around here (Holland) they are.

I'm interested in crystal precipitation, can anyone help me figure this out?
There are 2 options I'm considering:
- Freeze precipitation of the sulphate salt. It is nearly insoluble in water near freezing point,
so it should work to make a solution with as little water as possible, maybe heating it a little
above room temperature to help it. Then put in fridge, then put in freezer. After that filter as fast as possible and dry it with heat (it's stable anyway right?).
- Precipitation by getting the freebase in a small volume of non-polar solvent first, then adding drops of concentrated sulphuric acid while stirring it with a magnetic stirrer. The unsoluble salt should crash out so you can filter it. Upside is, there is no issue with the temperature making it dissolve again when filtering after freeze precip. Downside is no beautiful purer crystals are formed since the acid crashes it out forcefully fast. More impurities may get trapped.

Opinions?