Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

Good Documentaries

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitz-e

Bluelighter
post links to torrents, rapidshare and streaming vids, want to watch something good tonight.

I'm in to most things, war, drugs, history, Louis Theroux, etc. I will watch it as long as it is good :)

hit meh!

mitz-e said:
post links to torrents, rapidshare and streaming vids, want to watch something good tonight.

Actually, no posts to torrents please cos they're not allowed. No links to copyright material at all, in fact, so please check that they are free to share before linking to anything, people :).

I do love a good documentary though, so I'll try to pick out some goodies for you to track down at your own leisure :).

really? not even posting links to another site? that's pretty legal I heard.

you heard the man, keep within the line of the law!

if we actually can't even link them just name them and tell us about them, shouldn't be too hard to find.

mitz=e said:
really? not even posting links to another site? that's pretty legal I heard.

I'm fairly sure that direct links to torrents or torrent sites are off-limits and obviously anything with copywrited material is definitely a no-no. But naming names and maybe linking to IMDB or whatever is absolutely fine. What you choose to do with that information is entirely up to you :).

Drugs docs: LSD: The Beyond Within, Hooked: Illegal Drugs & How They Got That Way, Black Tar Heroin and Methadonia are some that I enjoyed. Dark Days is also excellent :).

^^ Ah yeah he's an excellent presenter. I saw the one on Time. The Story of Maths is currently being serialised & that's pretty good as well.

^^^ Not exactly a laugh a minute, no RA. Which reminded me of *wrong link - I'll find the right one shortly* which I recently watched. Things have changed a lot since then, but it is jaw-dropping the way some of those poor kids lived. I believe there was a follow-up made more recently that caught up with some of the survivors, but can't think of the name of it right now.

Also, American Boy: A Profile of Steven Prince (by Martin Scorcese, no less) is great fun and is famously the film that Quentin Tarantino based the heroin OD scene in Pulp Fiction on, and also most of his dialogue :D.

EDIT: fixingahole found recommended it before I could find the link: Streetwise - tis good, but rather heartbreaking.

Last edited:
does anyone else like Niall Ferguson's documentaries? About a year ago CH4 screened one called The War Of The World, here is what the wiki says about the book:

The War of the World, published in 2006, had been ten years in the making and is a comprehensive analysis of the savagery of the 20th century. Ferguson shows how a combination of economic volatility, decaying empires, psychopathic dictators, and racially/ethnically motivated (and institutionalized) violence resulted in the wars, and the genocides of what he calls "History's Age of Hatred". The New York Times Book Review named War of the World one the 100 Notable Books of the Year in 2006, while the International Herald Tribune called it "one of the most intriguing attempts by an historian to explain man's inhumanity to man".[12] Ferguson addresses the paradox that though the Twentieth century was "so bloody" it was also "a time of unparalleled [economic] progress". As with his earlier work Empire[13], War of the World was accompanied by a Channel 4 television series presented by Ferguson

real good stuff, he has an interesting view on things

Good documentary is....

What if? What if drugs were legal.. soap opera come discussion.. its funny watch.. drugs win.. well i thought they did lol...

The Channel 4 series, Sacred Weeds was interesting - they profiled 4 plants that ewre used in religious rites over the centuries (Fly agaric' Salvia divinorum; henbane & blue nile lilly).

For happier viewing, 'Bad Trip to Edgewood' is about the US Army's experiments with LSD etc at Edgewood Arsenal (their equivalent to Porton Down). Really disturbing stuff

^ Thanks, Bulbous One - I've been trying to the remember the name of that C4 series for ages :).

The other one sounds good too, so will investigate :).

Talking of disturbing doc's, Blood In The Face is a decent look at redneck rascists - dated, but sadly still relevant.

+1 For Zeitgeist, an alternative history of the banking system, christianity, control structures and the elite's tricks.

also full of bullshit, i'm all for subversion just check your facts before you make a documentary.

Wow. Thanks for all of the links. I've got a great list of stuff to watch now.

So a short list of documentaries I recommend:
the Sorrow and the Pity by Marcel Ophuls. It's a pretty long film composed of interviews with French subjects on their experiences of the Occupation in WWII. Great film. I think it's timeless because it highlights the kind of rationalizations and motivations that make normal people make good or bad choices in uncomfortable times. And how they lie about those choices once the circumstances are changed.

More documentaries:
Keep the River on the Right and Little Dieter needs to Fly: Both great documentaries by Werner Herzog.

Hearts and Minds, The Year of the Pig (warning: arrogant marxists! but very interesting from a historical perspective), The Fog of War: All related to the Vietnam War so watching them now sheds light on the current US position in Iraq. All three highly recommended.

The Fog of War is particularly relevant to contemporary events. Robert McNamara is a ten-ton twat but he admits his mistakes which is about as unlikely as Henry Kissinger or Dick Cheney or even Pinochet admitting to being war criminals.

The Battle of Algiers. This one is actually a dramatization of the climactic "battle" in the Algerian War of Independence (I think the French call it something else. Like debacle maybe.) Thi film is fascinating. Not only does it take you into the real casbah of Algiers (if you have watched City of God, it will remind you of the favelas). What's particularly amazing about this film is that it was created in collaboration with Saadi Yacef, one of the leaders of the Algerian Freedom movement. Incredible historical document and a great film. Again, highly relevant as the US is currently involved in similar "small wars". Also, Saadi Yacef actually acts in the film, playing one of the insurgents strategizing and fighting in the casbah.

World War I in Color. This isnt nearly as ground-breaking or mind-bendingly cool as the films listed above, but it's worth a watch because the BBC gathered tons of film footage from WWI and colored it by hand (rotoscoping I imagine. If you're into video production, the mind reels.) Anyway, it's narrated by Kenneth Brannaugh and he doesn't get on my tits in this as much as I thought he might. It's particularly cool because usually when you look at photos of people from that era they seem utterly foreign. Once you watch footage of them jumping out of trenches or just goofing off in a lake or something, you automatically recognize them as people just like ourselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.