• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Poppy pod withdrawal?

mukant666

Bluelighter
Is poppy pod withdrawals pretty bad? Can it be compared to any other opiate withdrawal? An if so what kind of opiate withdrawal does it compare to?

opiate is opiate. depends on how much youve taken, how long and so on...

For the past 3 weeks, I had beed using PPT every other day habitually. Occasionlly I'd go w/out it for a few days, and then there were times where I have some twice a day for a couple days in a row.

Well, I ended up deciding to take a break for a week or so because my tolerance was growing FAST. I was a little worried about withdrawal symptoms, but after the first 2 days went by no problem, I figured I was in the clear.

wrong. Halfway into day #2, I started getting the shits. Didn't think much of it at first, just figured it to be normal after a binge. But shortly following the shits, I got what seemed like a cold. Runny nose, chills, cold sweats...

The worst part of it all was the aching lower back and legs. My legs hurt as if I had been standing on them all day long.

Basically, I felt like I was coming down with a cold/fever and with minor body aches. It was pretty uncomfortable, but still bearable. I ended up having a small cup of tea just to ward off most of symptoms.

I've never withdrawn from any opiates before, so I don't have anything to compare this experience to. Since this was such a small case of withdrawal, the physically symptoms were gone after a few days.

Last edited:
Poppy pod tea I hear has bad WDs because there are so many different akoloids in it...........................but some things can be worse.

I don't know exactly how bad they are but some compare them to methadone w/d's and then again some say they are not as bad. I know the tea would subside some of the methadone w/d's but I would have to drink the equivilant of about 20 medium/large pods to do that. I'm guessing about 2/3 of a cup of finely ground pods. It would not get me high at all, but take away some of the w/d. My habit was about 60-80mg of methadone at the time.

Well, lets see, i've been taking 10+ pods a day for less then two weeks and I'm planning on doing the same for about another week. Just thought I'd let you know.

I've been through PPT withdrawals a few times but I just wanted to see what it like compared to other opiates.

I also only had the withdrawals for 2-3 days at a time then I usually got more pods . So I was wondering how long does the withdrawals usually last?

BTW, I'm planning on quitting PPT soon, for a while because my tolerence is really high, I need around 15 to feel a buzz and 20+ to start nodding.

Quit if you can...or if you can't on your own try NA. lol. j/k Really though try to get on a suboxone program or methadone detox.

All w/d is subjective to a very high degree but I can tell you that pods are a very easy w/d. It is less severe than codeine w/d.

mukant666 said:
Well, lets see, i've been taking 10+ pods a day for less then two weeks and I'm planning on doing the same for about another week. Just thought I'd let you know.

I've been through PPT withdrawals a few times but I just wanted to see what it like compared to other opiates.

I also only had the withdrawals for 2-3 days at a time then I usually got more pods . So I was wondering how long does the withdrawals usually last?

BTW, I'm planning on quitting PPT soon, for a while because my tolerence is really high, I need around 15 to feel a buzz and 20+ to start nodding.

My "every other day" habit for a few weeks that lead to me having minor withdrawals consisted of using 15-20 large (golf-ball sized or bigger) pods every dose. It takes me about that many to feel anything worthwhile; 25+ if I want to come close to a nod.

I made a batch of tea consisting of 18 pods the other day and gave some to my friend, who has no opiate tolerance at all. I drank about 2/3 of the batch, so I figured she had maybe 6 pods worth in hers.
To my suprise, she spent the evening throwing up and occassionally having trouble breathing. I felt horrible but roughly 6 pods worth shouldn't be enough to make anyone sick, or so I thought :\

I have a every two day sort of habit.

I find the half-life of the alkaloids give you a couple days of feeling okay and then I'll minor WD symptoms as Eon speaks on in the above post.

Nothing serious. Sort of like a cold, plus the minor shits.

I bet abusing strong pod extract or tea(say 50 - 100g doses) for an extended time(a month?) would have horrible WDs........

Using in moderation though, as I think you and I are, then the WDs shouldn't be any worse than described.

The thing is this: Tea is an extraction of a weak substance as is as compared to refined opiates/opioids. Average opium has a 10% morphine and less than 2% codeine content, yes? The average amount of opium in an unincised pod is from 10 to 100 milligrams so you are basically dealing with, at best, 10 mgs. of morphine per pod and you will not net that upon extraction. Following me so far?

If you drink say 20 pods a day, a fairly average amount from my expereience, you might be ingesting 175 mgs. of morphine ORALLY. Oral morphine is subject to First Pass Metabolism and is only about 35% effective (if I remember that percentage correctly). You do the math:

It is equal to 45 milligrams of IV morphine a day. Small household pets get more than that from vets so imagine? The w/d is nothing bad at all. I found it last time to be discofmorting mroe than emthadone but only because i have an unbelievable number of pods drying 4 provinces away. When you do not have any to do, and have now ay of getting any, the subjective w/d is not bad at all. Just be strong.

Good post Rachamim.

I'm pretty sure most poppy pod tea users don't know how much a pod produces and how much actually(roughly) ends up in the their circulation. And how that dose compares to refined morphine.

eon_blue said:
For the past 3 weeks, I had beed using PPT every other day habitually. Occasionlly I'd go w/out it for a few days, and then there were times where I have some twice a day for a couple days in a row.

Well, I ended up deciding to take a break for a week or so because my tolerance was growing FAST. I was a little worried about withdrawal symptoms, but after the first 2 days went by no problem, I figured I was in the clear.

wrong. Halfway into day #2, I started getting the shits. Didn't think much of it at first, just figured it to be normal after a binge. But shortly following the shits, I got what seemed like a cold. Runny nose, chills, cold sweats...

The worst part of it all was the aching lower back and legs. My legs hurt as if I had been standing on them all day long.

Basically, I felt like I was coming down with a cold/fever and with minor body aches. It was pretty uncomfortable, but still bearable. I ended up having a small cup of tea just to ward off most of symptoms.

I've never withdrawn from any opiates before, so I don't have anything to compare this experience to. Since this was such a small case of withdrawal, the physically symptoms were gone after a few days.

thats pretty normal, considering your frequency and length of use. of course, it gets worse the longer you use and the more you use. after a year long stretch of getting high on poppy seed tea every day, my withdrawals were hell... what you described multiplied by 10, plus insomnia, anxiety, shakes, and major depression. luckily i had some adderall to help me through it.

btw, if one has taken very much of ppt, digestive withdrawals are THE SHIT. have alots of diarrhea meds around or you'll shit yourself dead.

Pod tea withdrawal is usually bearable but it still can be nasty and the fact that it takes a while to fully kick in and lasts a while is very annoying. I agree pod withdrawal is not as bad as most semi-synthetic opioid withdrawal is. It still can suck hard though if you are really dependent upon the tea. As to how bad it's going to be it depends on how much you take and how sensitive you are to withdrawal effects. I think using every other day makes withdrawal slightly easier to deal with opposed to chronic use. Daily users are more likely to suffer harder withdrawal IMO.

Granted I'm not really that heavy into it, but I found the w/d to be bearable. The diarreah lasts forever though, and its annoying as hell, but Loperamide helps alot and its real relief when the itches finally go away for good.

..I was just doing the math, though: According to rachamim's post, an average pod would contain 8.75mg of morphine, and 1.75mg of codeine. It would also contain thebaine, noscapine, and papaverine, among other alkaloids.

^"luckley I had some adderal to get through it" Adderal??? for Opiate WD? YUK!, thats like taking speed or meth, or whatever speedy, isn't it?

brainbug said:
opiate is opiate. depends on how much youve taken, how long and so on...
So methadone withdrawals are the same thing as codeine withdrawals?

All opiate/opooid w/d is EAXCTLY rhe SAME , save for intensity and length. Methadone has a couple of factors that make it a pretty unsavory expereincew but it is far less intense than heroin w/d. In the last 45 days I have w/d from methadone, pod tea, and morphine in that order. Morphine was by far the worst. Methadone did not cause diahrreah but morphine had me defecating on my leg in an ER.

Phrozen: Thanks.