• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

2 weeks on 75mg Effexor XR - What rec. drugs will it affect?

fishmael

Bluelighter
Yes, I searched around a bit and couldn't find anything specific. Could anyone tell me how Venlafaxine can affect

Cocaine
Alcohol
Psilocybin mushrooms

(not all these at once, of course)
Also, it is an SNRI right? So dopaminergic drugs like coke wouldn't be affected too much, right?

In my experience, Effexor XR had no effect on the cocaine high, but seemed to improve the comedown.

Not suggesting you continue using cocaine if you are treating for depression or anxiety, however. The Effexor did not work for me while I was still getting high.

FC

It is indeed an SNRI (I have also recently been prescribed effexor 150mg/day)

From experience the cocaine high is not effected to any noticable extent, althoughh i've heard from others that if you are on a very high dose of effexor (>225mg) the high is somewhat lessened. The only real physical danger that i am aware of when mixing the two is that both increase blood pressure and heart rate so you should be careful as always.

Alcohol and all antidepressants are not really HARMFUL to mix although when mixed they have the effect of amplifying the side effects of both ie. you will get drunk quicker and the alcohol will increase any dizzyness, nausea, sedation that you may get from the meds.

One thing i was most upset about when prescribed this SNRI is that pretty much all psychodelics WiLL NOT WORK when you are on seratonin effecting anti depressants. I ate 5 tabs of acid and felt nothing more than a body high when i had previousy tripped balls on 2 of the same tabs.

Hope this has helped, but most of all remember to be safe and try things in smaller doses than usual until you are sure how they affect you personally.

when i was on effexor a couple of years ago, it really dulled mdma and dxm exp's.

Quem04 said:
From experience the cocaine high is not effected to any noticable extent, althoughh i've heard from others that if you are on a very high dose of effexor (>225mg) the high is somewhat lessened. The only real physical danger that i am aware of when mixing the two is that both increase blood pressure and heart rate so you should be careful as always.

I've read that at doses ~300mg Effexor begins to affect Dopamine so as long as you're under that coke should be just fine.

Be EXTREMELY careful while smoking marijuana while taking venlafaxine (Effexor). Venlafaxine has been reported to interact with cannabinoids resulting in serotonin toxicity which can be fatal. Symptoms of this condition include tachycardia (abnormally fast heart beat) as well as cardiac arrythmias and hypotension. In some cases, cardiac arrythmias/tachycardia cause the heart to beat so fast and abnormally that it loses its effectiveness resulting in lowered blood oxygen saturation. Having more CO2 than O2 in blood gases results in additional cardiac stress. This can be fatal if medical attention is not sought immediatly. please be careful

i was on 150 a da effexor for 2 years. it didnt seem to damper too much other than ecstasy

Does that marijuana claim have any truth to it? I need to know because I just started Effexor XR yesterday.

Just a little advice...

You're on the medication to counteract the very symptoms those drugs cause on the rebound.

Sound a little silly to you? I bet.

center said:
Just a little advice...

You're on the medication to counteract the very symptoms those drugs cause on the rebound.

Sound a little silly to you? I bet.

Agreed. Effexor didn't help me until I stopped using the drugs that caused depression and anxiety in the first place.

FC

If you are wondering what drugs you can take and still recieve effects while on Effexor, you mind as well not take the Effexor.

Figure out what's more important...a shitty temporary high, or true happiness.

I'm not so sure that the above comment about SSRI's or SNRI's making psychedelics not work is completely true, or at least not for everyone. I say this because my girlfriend of 5 years has been tripping with me on acid, 2c-e, 2c-d, mushrooms, DMT, 4-ho-MiPT, and also eating MDMA and has never had a problem tripping very hard. She has also been on Prozac for the past 6 years, every day. Honestly, she rolls harder than I do.. and the last time we tripped acid, she had complete ego-loss.

^^^^^
While all that may be true, and the OP's question related to all recreational drugs, this forum deals primarily with opiates, benzos, and stimulants. I think the responses above were primarily directed towards concurrent use of those substances.

FC