• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

[Combo Subthread] Mushrooms & MAOIs

^ be careful making statements like that. I would say that before using psilocybin with MAOIs, research as much as you can. Taking too large a dose of mushrooms and too large a dose of an MAOI (which is extremely easy to do) can cause alot of unwanted side effects. You may spend the entire trip curled up in a ball, body pulsating with throbbing pains, with a voice screaming inside your head, "what the fuck have I done to myself..."

Research syrian rue and mushrooms. Take very low doses of each, an MAOI will potentiate the effects of Psilocin incredibly.

Let me share my thoughts/experiance's on this.
I'm in Australia so i devour psy. sub. a mushroom that is quite strong compared to the american cubanis.
anyway, when i eat ~ 3grams which is a DAMN strong trip, i'll have to have a MINIMUM of 3-4 days before tripping properly again because the body builds up a tolerance ridulously quickly.
the other week i tripped, then 2-3 days later it did again, i ate +-6 fucking grams which would mess anyone up so bad they would almost break themselves on psy. sub. and there were times where it got too much but 90% of the time i just felt weird.

And now for the MAOI part. a recomendation is, so you don't fuck yourself up, to mix the mushies/DXM with chocolate. chocolate has a naturaly small amount of MAOI in it. it will send you into a tailspin. quite enjoyable =)

Last edited by a moderator:
THE WOOD said:
I would say that before using psilocybin with MAOIs, research as much as you can. Taking too large a dose of mushrooms and too large a dose of an MAOI (which is extremely easy to do) can cause alot of unwanted side effects. You may spend the entire trip curled up in a ball, body pulsating with throbbing pains, with a voice screaming inside your head, "what the fuck have I done to myself...

Been there, done that, and that was AFTER a lot of research. I just wanted to take it to the next level and thus overestimated my own tolerance based on past experiences where nothing went wrong. You probably don't need more than 50 mg/kg syrian rue. I know that I certainly didn't.

BTW, about tolerance and magic, I'm with Splatt 100% on those issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
yaesutom said:
Just taking a couple small 'sips' from the cup, I could see that colors were more pronounced. I could sip on the tea slowly, and slowly rise up, and level off wherever I wanted.

Most people suggest to take everything at once, because tolerance builds up quickly.. I think this is somewhat exaggerated and doubling your dose or in your case just taking small sips every now and then, does not reduce effects significantly.

Oh there was a small amount of chocolate syrup used in the tea

Chocolate being a MAOI is a myth really. Cacao works as a MAOI, but still has to be eaten in large doses.

I love mushrooms, first thing I ever tripped on, and really nothing is like it to me, all these years of eating tons of Shulgin's inventions/etc. the only thing I had that was close to 'shrooms is 5-meo-dmt

A little while ago I ate a small amount of mushrooms and the effects resembled a strong 5-MeO-DMT experience. There are certain similarities between the two, both highly introspective..

a couple grams of syrian rue 30-40 minutes before the shrooms will double the intensity of your trip, as far as all that other stuff do whatever it takes to attain a healthy state of mind. vitamins, exercise, meditation, music, good sleep, whatever you need to have a really healthy feeling before you trip is good. research the contraindictions of MAOI inhibitors before taking syrian rue with anything.

^^^^^

What the man said: pot + shrooms = psychedelic bliss. MAOIs such as Rue are fine if you know what you're doing, but they may well make you sick (... or kill you stone dead, if you really don't know what you're doing).

For me, pot makes the trip more visual and mentally stimulating. It's difficult to predict how you might be affected yourself (it's different for everybody), but it'll be sweet, I promise you.

[Edit: Do not ask for drug sources]

What other MAOI's are strong?

Does syrian rue itself( or MAOIs in general since that is what syrian rue is about) have a drug like effect at all? If you were to smoke or take a few grams of syrian rue, would you be "high" in any sense? Or would you feel the same as sober? Also, if added with mushrooms, would my trip be different then if I had not taken the MAOI? Or would it feel the same, but longer and stronger?

If I were to take syrian rue, I would play with it for a bit by itself before adding to precious mushrooms.

Yes syrian rue does have a drug like effect by itself (you cab read all about it on erowid). And when you take it with mushrooms the character of your trip changes, its almost like taking another substance, psilohuasca is what i call it.

I read up on erowid but still have a question.

How is the trip different? Can you tell it's a definite mushroom trip with syrian rue? What's the most I could take to make , say, 1 gram, intense as hell? Or is it the more seeds the more intense? Would this synergise the trip to higher levels, or would it end up being just a syrian rue high with a bit of mushroom feel if i took like 4 grams syrian and 1 gram mushies?

I enjoi mushrooms, I don't want to end up feeling like I took something else. Unless it's that much better?

MAOIs will intensify your trip but often affect things in a negative way... Check some trip reports. You'll see high doses of mushrooms alone tend to be more positive than moderate amounts of mushrooms and an MAOI. A better way to potentiate shrooms is by eating more shrooms ;)

How so in a negative way? I find no negative effects on mushrooms. Must really suck for you if you can't enjoi mushrooms...

Eating more shrooms is not potentiating shrooms, its upping the dosage.

CreativeRandom said:
How so in a negative way? I find no negative effects on mushrooms. Must really suck for you if you can't enjoi mushrooms...

Huh? I never said negative effects just from mushrooms. I DO enjoy them. I said people tend to have more negative experiences when throwing an MAOI into the mix.

Don't be so anal. You potentiate the effects relative to a small dose by taking a larger dose of mushrooms.

CreativeRandom said:

Huh? I never said negative effects just from mushrooms. I DO enjoy them. I said people tend to have more negative experiences when throwing an MAOI into the mix.

Don't be so anal. You potentiate the effects relative to a small dose by taking a larger dose of mushrooms.

You should have taken my quote more lightly. Maybe if I put one of those little smiley faces my message would've been understood clearer.

Basically, I don't find any elements of a mushroom trip negative, and I can't really grasp how you can have a bad experience on mushrooms. I have done them many times on varying doses as well.

ow is the trip different? Can you tell it's a definite mushroom trip with syrian rue? What's the most I could take to make , say, 1 gram, intense as hell? Or is it the more seeds the more intense? Would this synergise the trip to higher levels, or would it end up being just a syrian rue high with a bit of mushroom feel if i took like 4 grams syrian and 1 gram mushies?

To quote myself, but I get the impression that syrian rue will just intensify the trip and make it longer and come on in waves, almost as if I just took more shrooms. If this question was cleared up, I would understand that either the trip of mushies and syrian is very different from a standard mushroom trip of any level of dosage and thus could create negative effects, or that it does just potentiate it only and since mushrooms provide no bad effects in me, this factor wouldn't bother me.

Ill check into smoking harmaline/harmala, thanks for the tip.

And you don't be so anal. Not everything I say is meant to be taken so damn strongly. I never said you can't enjoi mushrooms because you feel negative effects on them, chill out.

And no you DON'T potentiate the effects with more shrooms. That's just UPPING the dosage. What I mean is on par with not eating and then shrooming. I didnt say "how can I trip harder off of a small dose of mushrooms" did I? I didn't say how many mushrooms I had in mind here did I? I merely meant how to make the most out of each bit of magic.

You should have taken my quote more lightly. Maybe if I put one of those little smiley faces my message would've been understood clearer.

Basically, I don't find any elements of a mushroom trip negative, and I can't really grasp how you can have a bad experience on mushrooms. I have done them many times on varying doses as well.

ow is the trip different? Can you tell it's a definite mushroom trip with syrian rue? What's the most I could take to make , say, 1 gram, intense as hell? Or is it the more seeds the more intense? Would this synergise the trip to higher levels, or would it end up being just a syrian rue high with a bit of mushroom feel if i took like 4 grams syrian and 1 gram mushies?

To quote myself, but I get the impression that syrian rue will just intensify the trip and make it longer and come on in waves, almost as if I just took more shrooms. If this question was cleared up, I would understand that either the trip of mushies and syrian is very different from a standard mushroom trip of any level of dosage and thus could create negative effects, or that it does just potentiate it only and since mushrooms provide no bad effects in me, this factor wouldn't bother me.

Ill check into smoking harmaline/harmala, thanks for the tip.

And you don't be so anal. Not everything I say is meant to be taken so damn strongly. I never said you can't enjoi mushrooms because you feel negative effects on them, chill out.

And no you DON'T potentiate the effects with more shrooms. That's just UPPING the dosage. What I mean is on par with not eating and then shrooming. I didnt say "how can I trip harder off of a small dose of mushrooms" did I? I didn't say how many mushrooms I had in mind here did I? I merely meant how to make the most out of each bit of magic.

oh and when is the best time to take the syrian, relative to the time the mushies are ingested? (chewing them as much and long as possible and fasting 1-2 days prior, and that day, are usually what I do)

I'm still sort of puzzled as to whether the syrian will make me trip, and synergize great with the mushies(like mixing opiates and alcohol, as an example. this may not apply to everyone but you get what i mean), or not be psychoactive but be like a vitamin of some sort that will just enhance the mushies (like fasting).

the best time to take syrian rue is about 30 minutes before you injest mushrooms. You cannot really trip on syrian rue alone, but it does have some small psychoactive effect. Syrian rue contains MAO Inhibitors which prevent the breakdown of certian chemicals (DMT, neurotransmitters, mabye psilocin, but im not sure). That is why the trip is enhanced. From what I have read, 3g of rue will more than double the potency of any shroom dose.

I advise against the use of stimulants with shrooms, because it is best to have a clear head when you trip.

I've found alot of experience reports on tripping on just syrian rue alone, at doses beginning at 3.5 grams to 25 grams (that guy wasn't happy). Average was around 6.5 grams, and saying it was too much.

And why no stimulants when you trip? Usually people associate being "clear headed" with being on stimulants.

And why be clear headed? Don't you find the trip helps you alot when your head is most unclear? I like it that ways anyways...