• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Cocaine-like analogues of MDMA or methylone

fearhs

Bluelighter
Looking at the structure of cocaine, it looks like that of (meth)cathinone up to a point. Would "methylenedioxycocaine" be likely to have empathogenic effects? (Methcathinone : methylone :: cocaine : "MDcocaine") Or are the SARs of cocaine and methcathinone entirely different and this is just a stupid and unworkable idea?

I can't really answer your questions, as I don't know, but I'm guessing the relationships would not be the same at all.

This has got me thinking though: I know nothing about the SARs for cocaine, and havn't read anything about them. Does bilz or anyone care to give us a little rundown? Are there as many different cocaine derivatives as amphetamine derivatives?

I know there are several cocaine derivatives, but I think they are all straight stimulants. If this idea has the slightest bit of merit then I would guess it would be more similar to methylone, as both methcathinone and cocaine inhibit dopamine reuptake rather than release it like methamphetamine.

Damn, it would be nice to have an empathogen that only lasted an hour or less.

Most of the coca analogues I've read about have effects that last much longer then that of cocaine. Incorporating an MDO structure into that of cocaine, assuming by some miracle it would display empathogenic effects, would likely produce a compound much longer-lasting than cocaine.

I see the point you are making in principle. There are a whole slew of cocaine analogues in a review article on Rhodiums homepage (although this is currently dysfunctional). The molecule I have attached to this thread I dreamt up literally 5 minutes ago.

The problem with aryl-tropanes be it aromatic or heteroaromatic is that they require cocaine as a starting material. This factor obviously restricts any progress that can be made in this area, bar theoretical.

Attachments

• puricaine.bmp
    36.6 KB · Views: 133
The problem with aryl-tropanes be it aromatic or heteroaromatic is that they require cocaine as a starting material

Nah, you can use tropinone, attach an aryl group via the grignard or aryllithium, dehydrate, the an anti-Markovnikov addition to eventually end up with 3-phenyl-2-acetoxytropanes (and assorted aryl ring substituted compounds), which are considerably more potent than cocaine. You only need cocaine or ecognine for the 2-carbomethoxy compounds. You can even get 4-fluorotropacocaine ( pseudotropyl 4-fluorobenzoate) from simply reducing tropinone and esterifying with the appropriate benzoic acid, and if I remember correctly, it has about 40-50% the potency of cocaine.

Yes but to end up with the correct stereochemistry one requires cocaine. Personally I dont think it is worth the effort but experimental chemists living in Peru might have different thoughts on this. Particularly since cocaine was recently found pressed into xtc tablets. I definately think people with ample amounts of cocaine and money to set up shop will be looking to experiement with it. Maybe they already have and did not agree with the effects, who knows?