• Find All Reports by Search Term
    Find Reports
    Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

(Poppy seeds) Experienced: Making the process easier

Yeah it was tough for me to quit, I mean I had to do an ibogaine flood dose because I couldn't manage it. The withdrawals last SO long. I like PST better than any opiate including heroin, and it lasts a LONG time too, much much longer than pure morphine or codeine. Using it to get past addiction from another opiate is incredibly risky and quite the slippery slope. It's possible but it didn't work for me because I just realized I had found an opiate I liked even more.

pain in legs and arms. can't keep still. mood swings. aka hell

just posting so i don't keep taking opiates. I can't afford to loose a day or two to withdrawals atm so i am not touching them for a dece while.

Yeah good point, Xorkoth. That was like with me - with kratom, ended up being my favorite opioid.

What I do is pour 2 cups poppy seed into a coffee press and fill with water so it covers the seeds and has room to agitate. Then I take a hand mixer and use the whisk attachment. Holding the coffee press tightly, I whisk the seeds on low for a few minutes or until I see it's starting to get a milky color. Then I set it aside.

Now I boil some water to make a cup of herbal tea (Sleepy Time seems to work the best). I add two table spoons of sugar and mix well.

The last step is pressing the poppy seeds and draining the tea. I drain it into a large beer mug and stir in the sleepy time tea. It is now very drinkable and very effective.

pain in legs and arms. can't keep still. mood swings. aka hell

just posting so i don't keep taking opiates. I can't afford to loose a day or two to withdrawals atm so i am not touching them for a dece while.

My recommendation is that once you get free, don't ever touch them again. I do have a friend who was able to get past a severe IV heroin addiction and he occasionally (like 3 or 4 times a year) IVs oxycodone, without problems. But I certainly can't do that nor can most I know. Every time I convinced myself I could use them responsibly after getting past withdrawals, it led back to the same place. Once I stopped allowing myself the option, it got really easy because there isn't that point of self-allowance that got me to start obsessing.

I think that black poppy seeds have greater amount of opium on them. Am I right? Excuse me if I'm posting in wrong thread.

i had to post to help you guys with a little info on the color of your seeds. I grow poppies and therefore end up with pounds of seeds. the seeds from the more potent pods tend to be darker. but every pod makes both dark and light blue seeds within the individual pod. However the ratio of lighter to darker colored seeds withing each pod does seem to shift towards a higher ratio of dark to light when opening pods from a plant that had more potent pods(red flowers, pink latex) and the plants that are producing an average quality pod(purple or white flowers) tend to have a more even mix of luight blue and black/blue seeds. So it would seem that the color of the seeds can give a little insight to the streangth of the seeds. but a bag of lightblue seeds doesnt necisarilly mean that they are weak, just average.
Thanks for information. It's really useful.

Yeah it's not foolproof but does tend to be true. I used to use a LOT of poppy seeds, and in general the batches that had a stronger smell were better. Also they tended to be darker. But, the darkest batch I ever got did absolutely nothing. However if they;re very light, like almost whitish, it means they've been washed and are no good.

For the past two years I've tried to find legal and ethical ways to make up for the times my legally prescribed morphine has run out (due to changes in federal laws that required significant reductions in dosages for all non-cancer patients, a stupid regulation which caused thousands of pain clinic patients to turn to heroin). Over that time I have tried Loperamide, Kratom, and poppy seed tea (PST). Taking 40mg Loperamide once a day with a glass of grapefruit juice 45 minutes after having taken two Tagamet will give some pain relief and prevent withdrawals. Yes, I know there is a lot of debate on here about Loperamide, but scientific studies do show Loperamide has analgesic qualities, but I digress - that's a topic for a different thread. Kratom absolutely tastes like death and has once or twice made me almost catatonic because some strains have stronger effects which is always unpredictable, but the few small scientific studies along with anecdotal evidence suggests that Kratom does not work well for pain control in the first place so I personally found it to be useless in the long run. However, poppy seed tea (PST) works the same as morphine because that is in fact what is being extracted/washed from the seeds - morphine alkaloids and residue.

Use unwashed/untreated Spanish poppy seeds because there is a scientific study from a respected organization that found there are on average 250 micrograms of morphine per gram of unwashed/untreated Spanish poppy seeds. That means if you have a good batch of unwashed/untreated Spanish poppy seeds there will be approximately one milligram (1mg) of oral morphine for every four grams (4g) of seeds, in other words approximately 28mg of oral morphine from a half cup of unwashed/untreated Spanish poppy seeds. Keep in mind though that this means 28mg after three or four washings combined, not 28mg per washing.

Standard "unwashed" poppy seeds that you get from your health food store or farmer's market will have approximately 30 to 45 micrograms of oral morphine per gram of seeds, which means one milligram (1mg) of oral morphine for every twenty-four grams (24g) of seeds, which works out to three cups of seeds just to get the same 28mg as from the half cup of good seeds mentioned above. This amount however can vary depending on the source that the store or market acquired it from and where it was grown; and again you only get that complete 28mg from the combination of several washings to get all of the morphine washed off of the seeds. I would strongly advise against ever washing over three cups of poppy seeds because it can cause problems. Use only a confirmed source of unwashed seeds, and use only a 1/4 measuring cup or a 1/2 measuring cup of seeds.

But poppy seeds that you get from your supermarket are *ALWAYS* and without exception agitated, pre-treated (sometimes with chemicals), and pre-washed to get rid of the morphine alkaloids and residue. Those grocery store poppy seeds have *AT BEST* only 5 to 10 micrograms of morphine per gram of seeds. You'd be lucky to get one-half milligram (1/2mg) to one milligram (1mg) of oral morphine for approximately two-hundred grams (200g) of pre-washed grocery store seeds. This means you would need a minimum of *THIRTY CUPS* (!) of seeds washed three or four times in order to get the same 28mg of oral morphine as from just a 1/2 cup of the unwashed/untreated Spanish seeds. In fact, it would actually require more than thirty cups for highly processed poppy seeds from a grocery store because they would have less than 5 micrograms of oral morphine per gram of seeds. So if you've tried to make PST from grocery store bought poppy seeds and you didn't get any pain relief from it this is the reason why. On top of that it's very expensive because most grocery stores sell small quantities at higher prices. Most people don't even get a moderate analgesic affect from morphine until reaching the 10mg to 15mg range in pill form. Therefore it is important that you only use unwashed and untreated seeds, preferably Spanish (simply because they actually have published peer-reviewed scientific evidence for their potency), although other strains have been found to have as much as 200 micrograms per gram of seeds. One isolated research study showed that a certain strain of Hungarian poppy seeds had over 450 micrograms of oral morphine per gram of seeds - that's almost 1/2 milligram of morphine per gram of seeds! There is a debate as to what causes this - is it the strain itself, or the manufacturing process? In my opinion it seems to be primarily the latter because quite often the most potent poppy seeds come from countries with limited manufacturing facilities and/or old equipment.

Please remember to do careful research. *DO NOT*, I repeat, *DO NOT* confuse pre-treated/pre-washed poppy seeds with untreated/unwashed. Extracting morphine from thirty cups of pre-treated/pre-washed grocery store seeds would give you the equivalent of about 28mg of oral morphine, but if you mistakenly mix your batch and confuse it with untreated/unwashed seeds then extractions from thirty cups of untreated seeds of that would be equivalent to half a bottle of morphine pills and would kill you if taken all at once. Therefore, never put yourself in a situation where you wash more than three cups, and never drink the entire thing in one sitting.

The extraction method that is mentioned in the update to the original post works brilliantly. The unpleasant taste that everyone is referring to is merely the usual bitter morphine taste (have you ever left a morphine pill in your mouth for a little too long, or swallowed a crushed MS-Contin? That's what first and second wash PST tastes like). A good process includes taking a half measuring cup of high-quality unwashed/untreated poppy seeds and extracting the morphine residue using the water bottle method described in the update to the original post. If I were doing it I'd usually do two or three washings of the seeds; sometimes four depending on circumstances and the quality of the seeds. Of course each washing yields less and less morphine, but the whole idea and plan in the first place is to wash all of it off into the water which you will drink. From the first and second washings of the seeds the water you drain off will be a milky light brown color similar in appearance to iced coffee, or to a cup of coffee where you'd added too much milk. By time you get to the third and fourth washing the water will be milky white. It is very easy to know when all of the morphine has been washed from your seeds: when the water is no longer bitter to the taste, and begins to taste only like poppy seeds - a pleasant watered-down nutty flavor, almost reminiscent of sesame seeds. Following the fourth washing the seeds themselves will no longer contain anything but a trace amount of morphine and should therefore be discarded. They will not have any value to you and won't even be useful in cooking and cannot be stored because they will develop mold. Eating the seeds after a fourth washing won't give you any extra analgesic effect at all and will in fact make you either quite nauseated or vomit, so just throw out your half cup of used seeds after the fourth wash. (If you ever accidentally spill dry seeds the quickest way to gather them them up so that you can use them is to wrap a strip of scotch tape around your fingers and tap them up. If you accidentally spill wet used seeds just use your vacuum cleaner attachment to suck them into the vacuum bag).

FIRST WASH: Use very warm tap water
SECOND & THIRD WASH: Use cold tap water
FOURTH WASH: Use very warm - almost hot tap water

The proper amount of very warm tap water to use in a one-liter bottle is about one-half to one inch (1.25cm to 2.5cm) above the top of the seeds, screw on the top tightly, and shake it vigorously for one to two minutes then drain off as instructed. Each washing should produce a MAXIMUM of 3/4 measuring cup (177ml) of water therefore it's not like you will have tons of bitter fluid to drink. The first washing is always the most potent analgesic and most bitter to the taste. There is absolutely *NO* need to use lemon juice because the prolonged vigorous shaking along with the alternation of very warm and cold water agitates the seeds more than well enough to remove virtually all of the morphine residue from the poppy seeds; lemon juice will only serve to make the water taste even more bitter which as a result makes it impossible to know when you've successfully extracted all of the morphine, so don't use lemon or any other type of acidic juice, just stick with good old tap water. When using good quality unwashed poppy seeds and following the extraction method described in the update to the original post of this thread you will get the same effect from two small swallows of the first washing as you would get from taking a 15mg pill that you've been prescribed. When you do the four washings you do them one after another over a period of about 10 to 15 minutes, however when it comes to dosing you must space that out. Four washings from 1/2 cup should last you an entire day, taking some from the first washing, then second, then third, then fourth, over a period of 12 to 16 hours. For the second and third washing use COLD water because this will now cause the seeds to slightly contract essentially "squeezing" them a bit. For those washes you may have to drink five or maybe six small swallows to get the same effect as from the first wash. For the final/fourth wash go back to using very warm tap water, in fact make it even warmer (slightly hot) than the first washing as it will now make the seeds slightly expand. These combined contractions and expansions along with the vigorous shaking facilitates nearly complete extraction of all morphine alkaloids and residue from the seeds. From that fourth final wash you'd likely have to drink all of the water from it (again, it should be no more than about 3/4 measuring cup, +/- a quarter cup) and would only get a very mild analgesic effect equal to about 5mg. *NEVER* drink all of the water from either your first or your second washing all at once; take only one or two small swallows and then wait about 15 minutes if you've taken it on an empty stomach to see what effect you receive. If you have recently eaten it can take 60 to 90 minutes to notice any analgesic effects.

PLEASE NOTE: If you've never taken morphine before, and are not prescribed it for use by your doctor, then obviously do not try poppy seed tea. If you do have a legal prescription and want to try PST but do not know the source of your seeds or don't know if they are washed or unwashed BE VERY CAREFUL because unwashed seeds vary and some have more morphine alkaloids and residue than others. Start with a small amount around 1/4 measuring cup. Be smart, don't be dumb, be safe, don't be reckless, be responsible, don't be risky, and of course only try poppy seed tea if you are already prescribed morphine from a qualified doctor or pain clinic and know what levels your body safely handles :)

Last edited:
Adding to the calls for caution. Last week I required my emergency narcan due to poppy seed tea. Always use with a spotter and always have narcan on hand in case of an overdose.