When Will Live Audiences Be Ready For Computer Mixing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue_Lava

Bluelighter
[I know this has been discussed before. If mods want to chew me out, or merge I'll understand.]

So, back to the question: When Will Live Audiences Be Ready For Computer Mixed Music.

I mean, It'd still be live. It could add so much more to the sets. The organization of files alone gives a computer mixer a tremendous edge over a traditional vinyl DJ. Songs can be stored in files with accompanying loops and cuts right there at your finger tips. Not to mention you could have your whole collection there and spare your back lugging DJ record boxes. The effects able to be applied would be elaborate. And the delay time from when previewing till you actually send it to the floor speakers can give a great advantage in contemplating the overall construction of the set.

I think the software and hardware are there now to make this happen.

Sheesh, the lighting guy gets a computer. Why not the DJ?

The reason: The audience. So, when will they be ready.

Note: of course turntabilists and scratchers would be largely exempt from this future direction.

sasha already does it, and he still packs out places. So, i'm assuming audiences are ready. If you pay the ridiculous amounts of money people pay to see sasha, when he's only playing stuff in ableton live with one CDJ, then i think you are ready for a computer dj....and a bit stupid.

It still comes down to talent and knowing how to get that, magically word that I have not heard about in such a long time, "vibe" going. The medium does not matter, but if you really want to fool people, just find an analog filter to tune through, or better yet, make your own. If you hide the laptops, or whatever, and only show them the tables, or just not let them see anything, then well, if they are dancing, they won't know the difference.

when it actually produces something MUCH better than a regular dj set...sorry to say, i havent heard any comp mixed sets that have blown me away.

David said:
It still comes down to talent and knowing how to get that, magically word that I have not heard about in such a long time, "vibe" going. The medium does not matter, but if you really want to fool people, just find an analog filter to tune through, or better yet, make your own. If you hide the laptops, or whatever, and only show them the tables, or just not let them see anything, then well, if they are dancing, they won't know the difference.

this is SPOT on...hide the dj, you shouldnt be looking at him anyway, you should be dancing...all those damn bobble-heads around the dj booth, get on the floor and move! :) who cares what is making the sound as long as its (semi) live, and it flows!

right now...i just sold my tables, PM me in a month and i will have a sick demo that will have been made using *just* my new system im building...

but in a live setting, i plan to link my cdj1000 via midi to my computer so i can use that *as well*

Day4night...let me send you my buddies set he did all in live...oh my god...turntables=obsolete!!!! ;) well not really, i plan to keep all my old wax for nostalgia value and ill still play it out, it is a bitch to bring a system with you and setup...but for big gigs i will do it, and for smaller gigs ill use cd's/vinyl still...

when you get good enough, it is effectively live remixing...just wait my friends, just wait!

i can hear an ableton mix at home. i want interaction with the dj, i want to see he's enjoying it too, mixing records and cds together, not pushing buttons on a computer. Maybe thats just what i expect from a life performance

you dont want to pay top dollar and visit a club and see a guy clicking a mouse button (ala Kraftwerk)

I seen these guys in Sydney 2 years ago was highly disapointed all THEY did... was stand there infront of 4 or 5 laptops not even moving a muscle.

fuck computer DJs...

It'll come.

Think about it. First it was OMG viynl only! But, eventually samplers and keyboards crept in. Then CD's. Heck, some idiots are even spinning MP3's (grrrr we won't even go into that). Junior Vasquez even had a joy stick in his booth for panning the music to different speakers at Twlio.-

My point it that it's taking advantage of technology to make the process of putting live music out on a floor more effecient. The less time you have to spend finding a record, matching the beat, having your hands on the controls *waiting* to make the cut... the more time you have left to be creative. To ponder the next direction of the set. I don't think it's NOT LIVE. You can have a bit of a delay before the music you're previewing hits the floor. But, you don't want that time period to be too long. You've still got to read the crowd and that means keeping it close and not planning things out too far in advance.

all those things are fine and well. CDs, final scratch, yes. There aren plenty of DJs who can do amazing sets while beatmatching and selecting records. Saying things like that is just a cop out in my humble opinion, for djs who think they are superstars and above having to keep doing th basics. I pay to see a DJ PERFORM, NOT BE A KEYBOARD COWBOY.

I believe the most important part of being a dj is having a good taste for music and the ability to read the crowd.

Now, the regular audience doesn't know or even care about what you are using to mix, they care about the music, dancing and having a good time, the only ones in te crowd who care about what you use are other djs.

I think the real question is:
'when will my fellow colleague djs accept computer mixing and stop saying that's cheating and stuff like that so i can do it without feeling embarrassed'

my personal answer to that question is i don't know, don't even care at all, i'll do it cause i thinks it's a lot better, it brings lots of new possibilities and because i belive it's the future of djing.

i dont think its cheating, but if you want to be a computer mixing person, do it for your mixed CDs. Your fans can hear computer mixing there. They don't come to your live shows to see you behind a computer.

this is SPOT on...hide the dj, you shouldnt be looking at him anyway, you should be dancing...all those damn bobble-heads around the dj booth, get on the floor and move! who cares what is making the sound as long as its (semi) live, and it flows!

God I HATE that!!! When people just stare at the DJ and bounce their hands up and down and no one is really dancing. If I were a DJ I would be upset that no one is dancing, I'd be like "stop staring at me and pay attention to the damn DANCE MUSIC!"

Hiding the DJ is a great idea...we should strip them of their faces and make it based around the music :)

Mystic Styles said:
i dont think its cheating, but if you want to be a computer mixing person, do it for your mixed CDs. Your fans can hear computer mixing there. They don't come to your live shows to see you behind a computer.

Thats bollox... it is about the music and not about how you make it for christ sake like playing two records at the same time is something to be proud off

I couldnt care less if he uses a fuckin tape recorder as long as you got a feelin for music and what the crowd wants than you are on top of your game

all these "DJs" just afraid to see there income drying up and they should

i'm talking from a party goer standpoint, not a dj. The only person i want to see with a computer is a live PA, and that not better be the only equipment they use. Like i said, this is one man's opinion, but i refuse to pay to see a DJ SET by a guy with a laptop.

Mystic Styles said:
i'm talking from a party goer standpoint, not a dj. The only person i want to see with a computer is a live PA, and that not better be the only equipment they use. Like i said, this is one man's opinion, but i refuse to pay to see a DJ SET by a guy with a laptop.

Buddy, i totally respect you and your opinion, but to be honest that sounds to me like something my dad would say.

My dad says:

'hey son when i go to a show i want to see a band, 4 guys playing the drums, guitars, bass and a singer, what's the point of going to a show to see nothing but a guy playing records???, i can play records at home'

I've heard many famous djs saying how they hate to have all people looking at them while playing, they say people should focus on the music and the party, i totally agree with them.

If you think a dj must show his enjoyment while mixing, you can do it when mixing with a computer too, you can smile and dance to your own set and people will see that.

Fuck im ready for it. Ive heard of people like squarepusher and luke vibert mixing and remixing live. Not quite the same, but a step in the right direction. But theyre right, the important thing is talent. You dont want someone to mix a song live if they suck at mixing in the studio.

When Will Live Audiences Be Ready For Computer Mixing

apparently, you are not a goa fan, or dont go to many psytrance shows. i assumed computer mixing was pretty typical.

23957Astral_Projection_live_2-med.jpg

cant see the laptops in this pic, but they are there.

23957Astral_Projection_Live.jpg

3 laptops, 2.5 keyboards, one mixer ;)

saw myth IS to live PA with 2 laptops, an electric guitar, a keyboard, and a mixer last month. was incredible. also Nrgizer did the same thing minus the guitar at the same party. Infected Mushroom, Astral Projection (above), Yahel, Yoni, The Crystal Method, Goa Gil, Parasense, Cosmosis, Alien Project, VNV Nation, Aphex Twin, Squarepusher (mentioned above), Neophyte (not always), BT, Paul Oakenfold, Mindbender, Sasha (also mentioned above), and many many many others mix with computers/have mixed with computers.

sound quality - convenience - dynamics - flexibility - reliability - mass/space - all of these are bonuses to mixing with PCs.

^^^^ Fucking yeah!!! I'm totally into Goa and Psytrance, those pics are Goa maestros Astral Projection.

What psytrance artists do is known as a live act, wich is awesome!!!

Personal faves:

Eskimo, psydrop, talamasca, absolum, g-light, planet b.e.n., gms, astrix, hux-flux, kox-box, infected mushroom, space monkey, biotonic and a long long list.....

However i think the topic here is djing with a computer using a program like traktor or ableton live, which i would say is the mid point between a live act and djing with cdjs or vinyl and is great!!!

And yes, using computers to dj or do live acts is nothing new to psytrance fans.

^ how the hell did i leave GMS and Astrix out of my list! ive seen them mix PCs as well doh. (and i took both of those pics. the light in the second one is terrible because they said i couldnt sneak a camera into the club, so i stuck it in my crotch and they diddnt pat me down there, and i got up on the balcony, flipped it out and i timed it wrong - right when a strobe was flashing)

space monkey

do you mean Space Monk-E? spelled like that? if so wow i diddnt know anyone heard of him hes pretty local to NYC.

Status
Not open for further replies.